DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]

Go down 
+88
rem999
Casey
HorribleCrowe
henn
Álvaro
StateOfMind
mja271
TGAFAN25
mvw
simo
big blue
marcsnitz
Lukazi
jensomniac
angryjohnny27
borrowedcar
thomas94
Brother Beck
brianisbae
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
33RPMHero
Hasler09
vamike
infoghost
aelliott88
White Man In Hammersmith
jonnyz83
Steve70s
23Punk
bt211
moosicmaniac
Unorthadox1080
ivienco
RobertODonnell
Shrewsbury_Stars
Boy From Little Eden
cmigs
Thunder Peel
Forum Owner
DeathoftheCool
Christophe
Keele
Vanderlyle Geek
The_River
flannel
miked331
Jerseyrain
tigerstrom29
CasanovaBaby90
gaslightfan89
No Retreat
ral
osumarko
steady now steady now
Andy_
Vibes
pleasepassthesoup
HolyBreakOfDay
Debonair
rumham
Prisoner
pepperedham
jzancan
bradleyjp
Hanswurst
Jack
CapedAvenger
NervousFeet
TooMuchGaslight
StitchesOnTheRadio
kappanera
riversedge
Harbortown
eagles1139
nebraska
The Last Jukebox Romeo
SirBrad
colmillionaire
bringiton_ty
bootime
Jaws
cdala
Erik Drost
njguy99
poormrpitiful
zerb012345
Halcyon
bringiton
92 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 4:54 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
CapedAvenger wrote:
The_River wrote:
Seems like everybody is bummed about the artwork...
Not everybody. As i said earlier, i like it. Simple is good. Sometimes simple can be iconic (Dark Side Of The Moon, The Beatles, Back In Black, Unknown Pleasures, etc. Not that i'm saying this is up there alongside those).

I personally like simple as well. I just think this looks cheezy and needs SOMETHING else (or something less, blank would be better). Even if it was different coloring. Like a black, beat up, heart. This looks like a misprinted valentine. But that's the last I'm saying on the subject because the cover doesn't make the songs! I wish I knew the thought process behind it though...
To me it looks like one of those I <3 NY t-shirts.

I guess they're tired of the black/blue aesthetic.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Put me down as loving that album cover.
Back to top Go down
Boy From Little Eden
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 5:49 pm

Something about the simplicity of this album art hit me hard when I first saw it. The image is stuck in my brain, I think it is genius. In my mind I hope that the album itself can live up to the cover. If you put this album cover & 12 killer songs together, I feel like something big can happen. When I am record shopping, the albums like " The Velvet Underground & Nico " "XX" " The White Album" Etc... They Always catch my eye, Even though I already own all three, I catch myself stopping and taking an extra glimpse at them. I am beyond excited for this album and trust in Brian and the bands judgment!

Last edited by Boy From Little Eden on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 5:55 pm

"The first time they hear the record people are going to have a heart attack," Fallon laughs. "Some people are going to cry. Some people are going to throw up. I don’t know what’s going to happen. They might throw it out the window or smash their car. Don’t drive the first time you listen to this record. There should be a parental advisory."

http://www.amazonmusicnotes.com/post/88982404025/gaslight-anthem-went-off-the-deep-end-on-experimental#
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 6:00 pm

zerb012345 wrote:
From that little clip, it sounds like Alex L is getting away from just repeating the chords. I mean, it's there a little bit, but after the first few bars he starts to get away from it.
I like it.

Yes! This has been my one consistent point of contention with the band. Granted, most of their songs don't call for complex bass lines - and are actually better off with the root notes - but there were some missed opportunities in the past, where sticking to the root notes were a hinderance.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
"The first time they hear the record people are going to have a heart attack," Fallon laughs. "Some people are going to cry. Some people are going to throw up. I don’t know what’s going to happen. They might throw it out the window or smash their car. Don’t drive the first time you listen to this record. There should be a parental advisory."

http://www.amazonmusicnotes.com/post/88982404025/gaslight-anthem-went-off-the-deep-end-on-experimental#

And is that article the first confirmation that the first single is indeed coming this month?

Quote :
and the yet-to-be-named first single arrives in June. The first single will serve as a bridge between the old material and the new album. It should ring familiar for fans of the group, but Fallon says it also showcases the “sonic shifts that may or may not have been heard from us before. It’s a good introductory fast song.”
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 6:51 pm

I like what I hear of Stay Vicious on the trailer. Sounds somehow like the black keys to me, which is fine.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Harry Lime wrote:

And is that article the first confirmation that the first single is indeed coming this month?

Quote :
and the yet-to-be-named first single arrives in June. The first single will serve as a bridge between the old material and the new album. It should ring familiar for fans of the group, but Fallon says it also showcases the “sonic shifts that may or may not have been heard from us before. It’s a good introductory fast song.”

I hope it's Helter Skeleton. I really wanna hear that song, it's gotta be interesting.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 7:33 pm

I think "Get Hurt" will be the first single. Before the album Get Hurt was even announced, a radio person tweeted that she heard "Get Hurt" so I assume the title track is the single and we will hear it soon.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Idk what to think of the artwork just yet. I think it's too plain. Almost stupid, I might say.
But I do like what I hear, which is what matters after all.

I truly hope they play this song on Thursday.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:57 am

Out of all the titles it's the bonus track 'Mama's boys' that intrigues me. I've always loved the nostalgia of Gaslight songs and this sounds like one of those.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 6:03 am

Jerseyrain wrote:
Out of all the titles it's the bonus track 'Mama's boys' that intrigues me. I've always loved the nostalgia of Gaslight songs and this sounds like one of those.

Brian's used "Mama" is his lyrics a few times. It's nostalgic for fans of the band too since find it in older songs like Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts and newer stuff like Keepsake. Those two instantly just to mind. Just like Brian's use of "Radio". I like that these words and themes keep popping up.
Back to top Go down
Unorthadox1080
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 7:23 am

There's a chance that the song in the teaser might be the most different sounding, as they would probably want to reinforce how different the album is going to be, rather than having the most Gaslight sounding song in the teaser and it being a massive shock when people buy the album and some songs are totally different from what they expected. Does that make any sense? Didn't think so.

Last edited by Unorthadox1080 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 9:46 am

The Gaslight Anthem are always pushing their boundaries - never staying on the same page - from SOS to American Slang is quite a journey - and onward we go - here and there - undefined and experimental - this is what has kept me attached to them all these years and now as well - here's to endless endeavours Smile
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 10:51 am

As soon as the drums kicked in for the teaser I was in shock, questioning was this really TGA? Until I heard Brian's voice I could have been convinced otherwise. It's been no secret this album was going to be the 'weird' one but I wasn't expecting this. I had imagined something somewhat similar sounding to either Halloween or THC but this was like Alice In Chains 2.0.

This isn't necessarily a bad change in sound either. Although I do fear this album could yet be quite generic sounding, but I really shouldn't be making any presumptions from a 40 second teaser. As much as I like Handwritten sometimes I can't help but feel a lot of it sounds generic and over produced compared to it's predecessors. I've pretty much convinced myself this has to do with the switch to Mercury Records and having Brendan O'Brien as producer. I hope I'm not jumping the gun fearing this record could be similar in that respect.

I don't really have an opinion on the title 'Get Hurt' yet. Although the song titles are very intriguing and I'm thrilled to find we have 14 new songs to listen to along with Halloween on the album. The album cover isn't the end of the world but I would have hoped El Jeffe would have continued designing the covers. I love each of his Gaslight posters and I had hoped they would stick with him after he designed the Hold You Up and Here Comes My Man covers.

All I do know is that I'm very excited for the album and the upcoming single. Even if I don't love the album straight away I'm sure it will grow on me and I'll regard it as highly as their previous releases. Always with great expectations.
Back to top Go down
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 1:18 pm

This is just a 40sec teaser, it doesn't say anything on the rest of the album. Maybe it's not a so big change after all. And I don't really mind if it is, because I like the teaser. I like everything TGA or Brian solo have made so, even if you never know, I'm sure I'm gonna like it.
Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 3:55 pm

The clip is from Stay Vicious, the first song on the album. I could see them wanting to make a statement with the first song so it's probably one of the more different ones. It's not even THAT different, Handwritten and the talk surrounding it had signs that pointed in the more grungey direction.

I'm easily most excited for Underneath the Ground. It was mentioned in that Rolling Stone interview as one that was written with a piano and the first song they've written that has nothing to do with a guitar.
Back to top Go down
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 5:36 pm

I think I read that Matt Mays is a guest for some vocals? Do you know if it's on the whole album or only a few songs?
Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
moosicmaniac
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Loved the teaser, so excited for the album.

It reminds me of Soundgarden (compliment) and it's a HUGE sound. I don't really get the Too Much Blood comparisons because to my ears this song has 100x more balls.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Spotify has Rumblin' and Tumblin' as a single on the gaslight page. Obviously unplayable right now.
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 9:47 pm

I  I love you what I have seen online of the album art so far. And the teaser clip!

I am excited for the summer and the build up toward the release  Very Happy .

Would love to get a release show in August as well. My guess is there will be a considerable amount of promotion so probably some tv appearances as well.
Back to top Go down
23Punk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm excited for the album, I look at this new album in the same way as American Slang, After Sink or Swim and The 59 Sound came out everyone wondered what Gaslight would do to follow up The 59 Sound. The result was American Slang, I'll admit American Slang took sometime to grow on me and when it did I understood what they were trying to do with that album. American Slang is one of my favorite albums by them besides the other four. To me though and I don't know who might agree or disagree with this but I feel like American Slang and Handwritten were almost the same type of album even though they were sonically different. I can't wait to see what the band cooked up on album number 5, its only 2 months away from tomorrow June 19th from release around the world. I feel like what Brian means by the album being different than their previous records, is that maybe their is a song that has a garage rock nuggets 60s vibe to it, or a song or 2 could have a crazy spin on it like a Jimi Hendrix Experience song, like Purple Haze, Red House, or Manic Depression. That would be cool to hear on this new disc.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 7:30 am

From the small clip the guitars sound pure Billy Duffy of The Cult which is a very good thing.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 8:06 am

Just found this 1984 album cover

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Yellowman+-+Nobody+Move+Nobody+Get+Hurt+lp
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Erik Drost
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Erik Drost

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 8:10 am

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 B00L1W6AHI.01-AE2QNCE40KCLM._SX420_SCLZZZZZZZ_V351137177_

First single : Rollin' And Tumblin' - release date 25 june 2014
(source; amazon.co.uk)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]
Page 5 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next