DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]

Go down 
+88
rem999
Casey
HorribleCrowe
henn
Álvaro
StateOfMind
mja271
TGAFAN25
mvw
simo
big blue
marcsnitz
Lukazi
jensomniac
angryjohnny27
borrowedcar
thomas94
Brother Beck
brianisbae
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
33RPMHero
Hasler09
vamike
infoghost
aelliott88
White Man In Hammersmith
jonnyz83
Steve70s
23Punk
bt211
moosicmaniac
Unorthadox1080
ivienco
RobertODonnell
Shrewsbury_Stars
Boy From Little Eden
cmigs
Thunder Peel
Forum Owner
DeathoftheCool
Christophe
Keele
Vanderlyle Geek
The_River
flannel
miked331
Jerseyrain
tigerstrom29
CasanovaBaby90
gaslightfan89
No Retreat
ral
osumarko
steady now steady now
Andy_
Vibes
pleasepassthesoup
HolyBreakOfDay
Debonair
rumham
Prisoner
pepperedham
jzancan
bradleyjp
Hanswurst
Jack
CapedAvenger
NervousFeet
TooMuchGaslight
StitchesOnTheRadio
kappanera
riversedge
Harbortown
eagles1139
nebraska
The Last Jukebox Romeo
SirBrad
colmillionaire
bringiton_ty
bootime
Jaws
cdala
Erik Drost
njguy99
poormrpitiful
zerb012345
Halcyon
bringiton
92 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 2:57 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Hanswurst wrote:
Barresi wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
The song kinda sounds like Too much blood v. 2.

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind as well.  pale 

second this, not so pleased with it  Neutral

BUT, if you're like me, and looked forward to TMB when the clip of that song came out, and were disappointed with the actual song, then maybe this will be the reverse? (I'm trying to think positive here).

Edit: Thought I should probably give it a second listen before I continue bitching about it. Liked it better the second time. But it's so short, so who really knows what we'll think of the whole thing!

I think the clip of the song itself is fine, but if it's indicative of the rest of the album... no thanks. I can appreciate Gaslight leaning in the direction of Grunge or 90's Alternative type of stuff every now and again, given their noted influences and the period they grew up in and whatnot, but it's just not my thing at all.

It's a thirty-second clip so I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself. Just laying my (very subjective/personal) worries out there.
Back to top Go down
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 3:27 pm

I don't like the cover a lot, but everything else is fine for me, the teaser, album name, tracklist seems good and the release date is the beginning of my holidays Smile
Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Loving the clip so far. Very Stone Temple Pilots / Soundgarden sounding.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:06 pm

Also to say it reminds you of Too Much Blood in a negative way is kinda weird to me...I always thought that the problem with Too Much Blood was that it is listless and never really goes anywhere or does anything to justify its five minute runtime. Take a 30 second snippet of Too Much Blood and it sounds pretty rad (like in the Making of Handwritten video). Hopefully this song will go in interesting directions beyond the short part we heard.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:06 pm

They need to find a new graphic designer now that they don't seem to be working with El Jefe anymore. The cover is disappointing. The clip feels very Foo Fighters to me.

Can someone explain to me with Diamond does and what his relationship is to the band other than a good friend? I've wondered that for so long.

Also, I missed this forum a lot Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Andy_
A Contender
A Contender
Andy_

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:30 pm

Cant wait for it Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/@DrewsBatches
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:36 pm

In the old days, we had to wait for the single and then the album to come out. Now we are clearly invited to form some sort of opinion well in advance.

So, I'm eager to hear this, but when I see the album title and the song titles I wonder whether the key ingredients that made the Gaslight Anthem special to me will still be here, namely hope and redemption. It's all sounding (literally) a little grim for now.

But that cover will sure stick out a mile in any record store.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Andy_
A Contender
A Contender
Andy_

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Just ordered it, postage is ridiculous
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/@DrewsBatches
osumarko
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:52 pm

There is an itunes only bonus track called Have Mercy.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:53 pm

Barresi wrote:
Hanswurst wrote:
Barresi wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
The song kinda sounds like Too much blood v. 2.

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind as well.  pale

second this, not so pleased with it  Neutral

BUT, if you're like me, and looked forward to TMB when the clip of that song came out, and were disappointed with the actual song, then maybe this will be the reverse? (I'm trying to think positive here).

Edit: Thought I should probably give it a second listen before I continue bitching about it. Liked it better the second time. But it's so short, so who really knows what we'll think of the whole thing!

I think the clip of the song itself is fine, but if it's indicative of the rest of the album... no thanks. I can appreciate Gaslight leaning in the direction of Grunge or 90's Alternative type of stuff every now and again, given their noted influences and the period they grew up in and whatnot, but it's just not my thing at all.

It's a thirty-second clip so I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself. Just laying my (very subjective/personal) worries out there.

That's kinda how I felt. Although personally, I love grunge. I just think Gaslight has created there own sound by blending so many different elements of punk, rock n roll, grunge, soul, etc. that I'd hate to see them slide too far into any one genre. But then I realized I was getting ahead of myself because it's a 40 second clip. And I do LOVE how heavy it is, regardless.

steady now steady now wrote:
In the old days, we had to wait for the single and then the album to come out.  Now we are clearly invited to form some sort of opinion well in advance.

Haha, I miss those old days. Things were better when you didn't get all these teases that let your imagination run wild. But to be fair, when they release a clip, no matter how short, they ARE inviting people to form crazy opinions off of very little. Like it or not.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:04 pm

osumarko wrote:

I hope this is a Jesse and the Rippers cover...
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:06 pm

So now the question; when do we get a whole song?
Back to top Go down
No Retreat
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:06 pm

No word has been mentioned as to when the single drops and which song it is exactly, correct?
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Love the new direction I heard in the teaser. I loved Handwritten, but it was time they tried something new after going after that sound for the past 6 years. About 2 more months, can't wait for a single.

Cover Art isn't the best, wish they would have used El Jeffe for their album art over the years.

Last edited by gaslightfan89 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Benny is absolutely smashing those drums in that teaser.
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:32 pm

ral wrote:
osumarko wrote:

I hope this is a Jesse and the Rippers cover...

Laughing 

well played. I hope they have a soundclip in the song of Jesse saying those exact words.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
bootime
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Seems their marketing is trying a different approach this time...last time it was all about the "45", the lead single, with scarce details about the album until later on...

This time they're leading with the album details and delaying the release of the single...

Hope we don't have to wait too long...
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:54 pm

bootime wrote:
Seems their marketing is trying a different approach this time...last time it was all about the "45", the lead single, with scarce details about the album until later on...

This time they're leading with the album details and delaying the release of the single...

I'm bet we'll find out tomorrow with the Q&A. I'm sure someone asked.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:56 pm

bootime wrote:

I am actually really pleased that title, cover, track listing, and pre-order all came out at once through their own site, rather than bit by bit via various music websites, etc.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 6:19 pm

osumarko wrote:

aaaaargghhhh, even if it was to be expected

could have fitted on the B-Side of the second LP and kept Halloween company
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 6:25 pm

That snippet was very Alice In Chainsey... Not bad! I'm excited! The boys are back!
Back to top Go down
tigerstrom29
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
tigerstrom29

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 6:53 pm

I really look forward listening to the new album and the "heavier" sound. I always welcome new directions that band makes and we all know that Brian is a guy with a lot of influences and he pointed out after the 'Handwritten'-release that the next album will sound different. I personally think that when a band just repeats the same sound release after release they have lost something, and I think that it's the most dangerous way a band can go. When a band starts exploring new turf, in my opinion, it means that they are inspired and wants to develop and find a sound that they are comfortable with at the moment. Im sure if the band wanted to release a new 59' they could easily have done that.
But Brian and the rest of the band wants to develop as musicians and to do that you have to dare to keep pushing and looking for new directions.

I love all of the albums that the band have released and every album is like a lyric for the time in my life where I was at the point when the band released a new album. There's a lot of memories to all of the albums.

I think that the album cover is pretty cool because it's so different from all of the other releases. Sure it's very simple, clean and has the same vibe as Pearl Jam's latest album 'Lightning Bolt', but who want's a boy-band-ish-cover again like the 59'? The only band that can do that is problably KISS..
But personally I think that the 'Sink or Swim'-cover is one of the greatest covers ever.

To sum all of this nonsence, I can't wait for the release!
Back to top Go down
NervousFeet
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
NervousFeet

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 7:23 pm

That's kinda how I felt. Although personally, I love grunge. I just think Gaslight has created there own sound by blending so many different elements of punk, rock n roll, grunge, soul, etc. that I'd hate to see them slide too far into any one genre. But then I realized I was getting ahead of myself because it's a 40 second clip. And I do LOVE how heavy it is, regardless.

Yeah I mean if we had 30 seconds of "Too Much Blood" to go by for Handwritten and it followed suit with that one sound, the whole album would've sounded much different. I doubt we'd have fast-anthem "Howl" or the infamous "Desire" and it's arguable "Mae" would've had no place on such a record.

I personally also don't mind the clip as well though I'm refraining from listening to it too much. I've totally ruined a song's placing on albums before for a number of recent records by overplaying the single before the album came out xP (sorry, "45")

On the downside, this either means the album will have that sound, or it will be kind of all over the place like Handwritten sort of was. I think the things that make records like Sink or Swim, The 59 Sound, and Elsie so top-to-bottom listenable and awesome is the fact that they're quite cohesive records and all the songs sound like they belong there and they belong together.

I kind of want to assume Handwritten was a somewhat experimental transition phase, but I don't know what to make of the clip (or if we can make anything of it for that matter) in terms of the rest of the record.

Wait and see!

TL;DR - It's not like all of Handwritten sounded like "Too Much Blood" so we can't really assume anything good or bad from the clip.
Back to top Go down
NervousFeet
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
NervousFeet

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Who designs their tour posters and the like? The style seems cohesive, as if they use the same artist for those every time.

Why don't they use that guy/gal for their album covers? They always have really cool art associated with singles and with tours but they haven't really had a decent album cover since Sink or Swim.

Google "the gaslight anthem misery" and go to images. Look at the sort of tattoo-style nostalgic looking art featured for a number of posters and singles. FRICKEN AWESOME PIECES OF ART. I would take ANY one of these on a t-shirt or album over an upside down MS paint heart... come on Sad
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 7:46 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
bootime wrote:

I am actually really pleased that title, cover, track listing, and pre-order all came out at once through their own site, rather than bit by bit via various music websites, etc.

Brian actually told us after at the bell house that they weren't going to do magazines or anything. That it was all going to come from them, their site etc. and soon. Including Halloween b-side. Didn't share cause I do believe he was trusting us to keep our mouth quiet. Sorry guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]
Page 3 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next