DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]

Go down 
+88
rem999
Casey
HorribleCrowe
henn
Álvaro
StateOfMind
mja271
TGAFAN25
mvw
simo
big blue
marcsnitz
Lukazi
jensomniac
angryjohnny27
borrowedcar
thomas94
Brother Beck
brianisbae
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
33RPMHero
Hasler09
vamike
infoghost
aelliott88
White Man In Hammersmith
jonnyz83
Steve70s
23Punk
bt211
moosicmaniac
Unorthadox1080
ivienco
RobertODonnell
Shrewsbury_Stars
Boy From Little Eden
cmigs
Thunder Peel
Forum Owner
DeathoftheCool
Christophe
Keele
Vanderlyle Geek
The_River
flannel
miked331
Jerseyrain
tigerstrom29
CasanovaBaby90
gaslightfan89
No Retreat
ral
osumarko
steady now steady now
Andy_
Vibes
pleasepassthesoup
HolyBreakOfDay
Debonair
rumham
Prisoner
pepperedham
jzancan
bradleyjp
Hanswurst
Jack
CapedAvenger
NervousFeet
TooMuchGaslight
StitchesOnTheRadio
kappanera
riversedge
Harbortown
eagles1139
nebraska
The Last Jukebox Romeo
SirBrad
colmillionaire
bringiton_ty
bootime
Jaws
cdala
Erik Drost
njguy99
poormrpitiful
zerb012345
Halcyon
bringiton
92 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 10:25 am

Unorthadox1080 wrote:
I know this isn't really relevant to this thread but I've seen a lot of criticism of Handwritten recently and this has got me thinking. I really like it a lot, and probably would have it second to the 59 sound. However I think the problem with it may have been there was nothing distinctive about it. American Slang is their best album lyrically, 59 sound has the best songs and Sink or Swim has that raw sound and energy which we all love. There's nothing like that you can pin to Handwritten.

You know, I think you might be onto something here.  I never I thought about it that way.  I might have some amendments to what you find distinctive in each album, but that's just a matter of personal taste.  Handwritten had a great sonic quality, but that had more to do with production, I think, than the songs themselves, and I found the lyrics pretty bland.  It was fun to hear, but not fun to listen to, if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 10:36 am

jzancan wrote:
Unorthadox1080 wrote:
I know this isn't really relevant to this thread but I've seen a lot of criticism of Handwritten recently and this has got me thinking. I really like it a lot, and probably would have it second to the 59 sound. However I think the problem with it may have been there was nothing distinctive about it. American Slang is their best album lyrically, 59 sound has the best songs and Sink or Swim has that raw sound and energy which we all love. There's nothing like that you can pin to Handwritten.

You know, I think you might be onto something here.  I never I thought about it that way.  I might have some amendments to what you find distinctive in each album, but that's just a matter of personal taste.  Handwritten had a great sonic quality, but that had more to do with production, I think, than the songs themselves, and I found the lyrics pretty bland.  It was fun to hear, but not fun to listen to, if that makes sense.

You want distinctive?! Handwritten had more Whoa-oh!'s than ANY other album!

Seriously, though, I loved Handwritten. All of it. These two songs sound like a huge step up though.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 11:17 am

I loved Handwritten when it came out but looking back, besides Mae and Handwritten, not much stands out. I still think they're all great songs but we hold Gaslight to such a high standard that it felt like they weren't doing all that they could. Maybe they felt pressured by their label? I think I've said it on here before but it sounded like Gaslight was being a caricature of themselves with Handwritten. This sounds like they're on the fringe and really pushing their sound, so I'm very excited to say the least
Back to top Go down
Brother Beck
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Brother Beck

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Holy shit.

I've had the same reaction to each one of these "Get Hurt" songs that we've heard or heard clips from so far - when I first hear it I don't like it right away and my only thought is "What the hell?!?" and then pretty quickly - like partway through the song - I am absolutely loving what they are doing. And then I like it even more on each listen. I'm gonna have to be careful not to overplay these songs before I even get the chance to hear them in the context of the album.

I know it is ridiculously early to make a statement like this, but if the whole album features this level of writing and musicianship it could be something really special that stands the test of time. I have my fingers crossed...

Sort of tied into this idea and also what people are saying about Handwritten, with that album nothing really surprised me or caught me off guard with any of those songs. To one degree or another I really liked them all right off the bat, and that's pretty much where they still stand for me, with the exception of Mae and Desire. Mae has grown in my regard over time into what I consider to be one of their absolute best songs period while I don't really care for the album version of Desire at all and don't ever listen to it. But the point is I feel like those songs struck me right away as Gaslight playing cool Gaslight songs, which I like a lot because I'm a big fan of theirs, and that's sort of where they still stand.

I have no musical ability whatsoever. I have never written a song. I have a huge amount of respect for Brian and the other guys in the band and what they do. The idea that they could all make an album as incredible as Handwritten while not pushing themselves to their limits creatively or while buckling to studio or big name producer pressure or whatever the case may or may not have been is pretty damn mind blowing.

I realize I have no idea about the internal workings of this band and I don't know anything at all about what goes on behind the scenes, but my honest opinion a few years out is that both Elsie and Handwritten suffered a tiny bit from Elsie being a side-project and not just the 4th Gaslight album. And I think those are both incredible albums, but I don't really see Elsie as being that drastically different from the rest of their music. Yeah it's a little slower and moodier, but I love the slower more atmospheric Gaslight songs. It's not like Elsie was completely electronic or anything crazy like that. I only bring this up now because from the little hints we've heard from Get Hurt so far it seems like Brian has brought that THC sensibility or willingness to take risks creatively and musically to this album and I can't wait to hear the results.
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 12:44 pm

After all you guys have said about the new album and your feelings about the new material there's not that much left to say. I'll still try to find a few words.

I have mentioned this earlier before, but while you guys are optimistic how much soundgarden-/black keys-/pearl jam-like they sound right now, most of the news have kinda descreased my expectations.

Well, the album cover looks the most uncreative I could imagine. But since it got released I started to care less about that every day, because what I really care about is the sound. Just got bummed that the bundles for the album have the same design as well, I hoped for some El Jefe/Rockets Are Red designs for the shirts/posters at least.

After desperately repeating the teaser trying to find some emotion, I gave up. I mean: It's just 40 seconds, but they made Brian's voice vanish under the guitar/drum sounds, which feels like a big loss since the same thing occurs on "Rolllin and Tumblin" too. "Rollin and Tumblin" is growing on me though, not a bad song Wink .

As I have discovered quite a few bands destroying their unique sound by wildly using synthesizers (of which's use Brian has often talked concering this album), I'm hoping the best. Made me kinda nervous seeing Alex R. using stuff like that http://instagram.com/p/oO73gRsNu_/ . Just don't want them to sound artificial or grungy as hell - like some user called Barresi said.

Already found a few killer lyrics though, which make me feel a little more positive too...

Last edited by thomas94 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 2:32 pm

I've been away for a week and I'm out of the loop as to what has been released. Can somebody fill me in with links? I tried going back a few pages but I'm afraid I've missed something.
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 2:48 pm

Rollin' and Tumblin' was released and is available on the band's official YouTube channel. Click the link below. It's also available to buy from iTunes. There's a thread discussing it too. Again, link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-l4Z23ELd8
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t5483-rollin-and-tumblin-new-single-out-now-on-itunes

The title track, Get Hurt, also surfaced online and is available in several places. The admins here are treating it as a leak, which means i can't link you to it without getting on the wrong side of them. There's a thread discussing it though. Link below.

https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t5491-get-hurt-song-discussion-leak-do-not-post-or-request-links
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks!! Heard both of them. I don't know why but I wasn't as excited for these songs as I was for 45 and HCMM. Hope the rest of the record is great.
Back to top Go down
23Punk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 11:18 pm

I think of this new album as when American Slang came out back in 2010, it was drastically different from the bands 2 previous albums. At first I didn't know what to think of the album American Slang when it came out because it was different, now 4 years later to me its one of their classic albums along with Sink or Swim and The 59 Sound. In my opinion American Slang and Handwritten are the same album, sonically not as much but topic wise without a doubt. The band grew when they made American Slang, and now the new album Get Hurt seems like it will be the same as American Slang in the sense that its different and might take sometime to get used to just like American Slang. I don't mind that at all I hope its extremely different but still contains the core of Gaslight. I find it interesting that Get Hurt is being released August 19, that's the same date 6 years ago that The 59 Sound was released.
Back to top Go down
infoghost
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
infoghost

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 9:03 am

I am digging Rollin' the more I listen. It really does sound like it could fit on AS. I really hope we get more guitar from Alex, listening to AS on the way in...man I really missed that on the last one.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 10:03 am

American Slang is my favourite album - fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 11:20 am

infoghost wrote:
I am digging Rollin' the more I listen. It really does sound like it could fit on AS. I really hope we get more guitar from Alex, listening to AS on the way in...man I really missed that on the last one.

Huh? Handwritten is their most guitar-heavy album to date. And Brian said Alex R played a lot of keyboards on this one so I highly doubt their will be more than last time.

Anyway, my thoughts on the songs leaked so far…eh. To me they're just kinda there. Definitely two of the most blasé reactions I've had to Gaslight songs, which is extremely disappointing, especially because the clip of Stay Vicious got me so excited. That being said, neither of the songs are bad and I'm sure they'll both grow on me quite a bit over time.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 12:09 pm

I do not understand those of you saying AS and HW were very similar and AS was leaps and bounds away from 59. I think of 59 and AS being far closer to one another (although not the same) and HW being the first bigger jump.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 12:43 pm

rollin and tumblin just sounds more generic. part of the appeal of 59S and AS was the catchy riffs in the choruses, easily some of the best hooks out there. HW seemed to ditch that TGA sound. Rollin and Tumblin has that same vibe. That being said when TGA comes to town I don't care how bad the latest album is I will go and have a blast
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Both "Rollin & Tumblin" and "Get Hurt" are gonna make for great acoustic performances. I felt that the higher vocals on the Handwritten songs made some of the acoustic performances less stellar. The gruff deep vocals suit Brian better.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 7:31 am

re. the artwork, I hadn't noticed this until I read it on another board (shame one me), but the Get Hurt cover does not only show an inverted heart, but can also be seen as showing a red ace of spades minus the 'stalk'

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Set-hearts-clubs-spades-dimonds-icons-ca-card-suit-design-36034174
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 8:21 am

Or just a red ace of hearts turned upside down?

heres to hoping the singles will have a turned around ace of Spades(second single), Diamonds(third single), Clubs(fourth single)

also i don't think this will be likely to happen Sad
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 8:38 am

How can you have a red ace of spades when it's black?  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 6:35 am

To me rollin and tumblin is the perfect balance of sink or swim and handwritten, with everything they've learned as a band in between
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 12:48 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
re. the artwork, I hadn't noticed this until I read it on another board (shame on me), but the Get Hurt cover does not only show an inverted heart, but can also be seen as showing a red ace of spades minus the 'stalk'

I really think it's just way more simple than this. It's just a simple "heart, put down". Seems clear to me what this is all about. Straight to the point. Nothing hidden in here.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 2:29 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
re. the artwork, I hadn't noticed this until I read it on another board (shame one me), but the Get Hurt cover does not only show an inverted heart, but can also be seen as showing a red ace of spades minus the 'stalk'

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Set-hearts-clubs-spades-dimonds-icons-ca-card-suit-design-36034174

I assume you're just trying to be funny.
Back to top Go down
23Punk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 12:49 am

I was checking YouTube and I noticed a few songs got leaked from the new album. That to me is sad who ever allowed that to happen. I am not listening to those tracks I want to hear the entire album when I buy a physical copy of the cd. I am amazed that leaks even still happen today. To me when an album gets leaked ahead of a release date its takes something away from the artist, or the band it should be special to wait until its released and then to go out and buy a copy.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 4:20 am

23Punk wrote:

I was checking YouTube  and I noticed a few songs got leaked from the new album. That to me is sad who ever allowed that to happen. I am not listening to those tracks I want to hear the entire album when I buy a physical copy of the cd. I am amazed that leaks even still happen today. To me when an album gets leaked ahead of a release date its takes something away from the artist, or the band it should be special to wait until its released and then to go out and buy a copy.  

I don't think those other songs on Youtube are actually real, if you click on them they'll probably just be some shit saying "click here to download the album." As far as i'm aware, only 'Rollin and Tumblin' and 'Get Hurt' are out.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 4:50 am

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:
23Punk wrote:

I was checking YouTube  and I noticed a few songs got leaked from the new album. That to me is sad who ever allowed that to happen. I am not listening to those tracks I want to hear the entire album when I buy a physical copy of the cd. I am amazed that leaks even still happen today. To me when an album gets leaked ahead of a release date its takes something away from the artist, or the band it should be special to wait until its released and then to go out and buy a copy.  

I don't think those other songs on Youtube are actually real, if you click on them they'll probably just be some shit saying "click here to download the album." As far as i'm aware, only 'Rollin and Tumblin' and 'Get Hurt' are out.

just a scam
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 5:50 am

How are people feeling about listening to new tracks this time around? I only listened to 45 and avoided HCMM last time around. Not feeling the same this time, I'm thinking I'll listen to a full leak if it comes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]
Page 8 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next