DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]

Go down 
+88
rem999
Casey
HorribleCrowe
henn
Álvaro
StateOfMind
mja271
TGAFAN25
mvw
simo
big blue
marcsnitz
Lukazi
jensomniac
angryjohnny27
borrowedcar
thomas94
Brother Beck
brianisbae
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
33RPMHero
Hasler09
vamike
infoghost
aelliott88
White Man In Hammersmith
jonnyz83
Steve70s
23Punk
bt211
moosicmaniac
Unorthadox1080
ivienco
RobertODonnell
Shrewsbury_Stars
Boy From Little Eden
cmigs
Thunder Peel
Forum Owner
DeathoftheCool
Christophe
Keele
Vanderlyle Geek
The_River
flannel
miked331
Jerseyrain
tigerstrom29
CasanovaBaby90
gaslightfan89
No Retreat
ral
osumarko
steady now steady now
Andy_
Vibes
pleasepassthesoup
HolyBreakOfDay
Debonair
rumham
Prisoner
pepperedham
jzancan
bradleyjp
Hanswurst
Jack
CapedAvenger
NervousFeet
TooMuchGaslight
StitchesOnTheRadio
kappanera
riversedge
Harbortown
eagles1139
nebraska
The Last Jukebox Romeo
SirBrad
colmillionaire
bringiton_ty
bootime
Jaws
cdala
Erik Drost
njguy99
poormrpitiful
zerb012345
Halcyon
bringiton
92 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Unorthadox1080
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 7:29 am

Here's the first single, only seems to be available in the U.S. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-l4Z23ELd8
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 am

Unorthadox1080 wrote:
Here's the first single, only seems to be available in the U.S. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-l4Z23ELd8

as per the new single thread at https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t5483p60-rollin-and-tumblin-new-single-out-now-on-itunes
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 11:01 am

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
So 'Rollin And Tumblin' sounds great! Excited to hear the rest of the album now!

#1 - LOVE YOUR USERNAME!
#2 - The Clash and many other great bands were great, imho, partly because their sound constantly evolved - and personally I respect most those artists who constantly evolve and change skins.
#3 - This new sound brings me back to Sink Or Swim - with all the baggage of other albums Smile
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 11:51 am

Kropotkin wrote:
White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
So 'Rollin And Tumblin' sounds great! Excited to hear the rest of the album now!

#1 - LOVE YOUR USERNAME!
#2 - The Clash and many other great bands were great, imho, partly because their sound constantly evolved - and personally I respect most those artists who constantly evolve and change skins.
#3 - This new sound brings me back to Sink Or Swim - with all the baggage of other albums Smile

I think The Clash is one of the greatest bands we'll ever have for the exact same reason: they were never afraid to evolve and experiment with pretty much whatever sound they wanted.
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 12:40 pm

ivienco wrote:

I think The Clash is one of the greatest bands we'll ever have for the exact same reason: they were never afraid to evolve and experiment with pretty much whatever sound they wanted.

Well said - and this is exactly why I support TGA so much and respect them so much as well. Many bands stick to a common recipe - this I find boring very quickly - and sadly the list of bands that do such is far too long ... and this makes me very jaded and tired of the music scene.

The sounds so far from Get Hurt are stoking my appetite ... (for destruction!) Smile (sorry - couldn't resist!)
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Kropotkin wrote:
ivienco wrote:

Well said - and this is exactly why I support TGA so much and respect them so much as well.  Many bands stick to a common recipe - this I find boring very quickly - and sadly the list of bands that do such is far too long ... and this makes me very jaded and tired of the music scene.

The sounds so far from Get Hurt are stoking my appetite ... (for destruction!) Smile (sorry - couldn't resist!)

LOL mine too, I could not agree more! I can totally see what Brian meant with the single being some sort of bridge between the previous and the new album. I'm guessing you can either like or dislike the sound a band strives to find or achieve, I personally don't like the sound Green Day went for as much as I like the 90s Green Day (just to use them as an example because somebody named them a few comments up) but I'm loving how these guys are growing. Hell, makes me wanna move to the States even more just to be able to see them live often!
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Green Day! Oh I could on and on about them and many of the 'punk' bands that just pop out the same sounding material - (Anti-Flag, Sum 41, Blink 182, etc., etc., etc. ...).

After an album or two I get bored ... then I become jaded ... and the Against Me! lyrics come to mind - Are you restless like me?!

But comments on the bands 'new sound' or 'artwork' are not a question for me at all, I'm always happy to hear new material from these guys and even happier when it goes someplace new - this is the signature of a lasting and true group of musicians - to name a few: The Clash, David Bowie, Neil Young, Bob Dylan - all of which have taken their muscianship much further than the recipe approach - and for me TGA are among those truly talented artists whose music reflects their lives and influences ...
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Kropotkin wrote:
Green Day!  Oh I could on and on about them and many of the 'punk' bands that just pop out the same sounding material - (Anti-Flag, Sum 41, Blink 182, etc., etc., etc. ...).

After an album or two I get bored ... then I become jaded ... and the Against Me! lyrics come to mind - Are you restless like me?!

But comments on the bands 'new sound' or 'artwork' are not a question for me at all, I'm always happy to hear new material from these guys and even happier when it goes someplace new - this is the signature of a lasting and true group of musicians - to name a few: The Clash, David Bowie, Neil Young, Bob Dylan - all of which have taken their muscianship much further than the recipe approach - and for me TGA are among those truly talented artists whose music reflects their lives and influences ...
Green Day and Blink-182 (I can't speak for the other bands you mentioned because I don't like them) both have a pretty wide variety of styles, though. Dude ranch doesn't sound like Take off your pants and jacket doesn't sound like Blink 182, Dookie doesn't sound like Warning doesn't sound like American idiot etc.

As far as "saving" or "bringing back" rock and roll is concerned, I find it to be a pretty silly argument. It's never gonna be as huge as it once was, just like jazz never will be, or disco, etc etc. What goes on in the mainstream is always bound to change but the mainstream doesn't really matter. How much more do you want people to "talk about" rock and roll? There's a fuckload of great rock bands out there and I think to say that something is dead just because you're too lazy to find it is, well....lazy.

Now, to the subject of their new single. It makes me feel like I've lost hope in this album and (to be quite honest) in the band. I really don't like the way they're progressing, it's like they're turning more generic with every release. I think American Slang was their last great record, with Handwritten having potential to be their best one but burdened by a lifeless, glossy production (and a bunch of poor songs).

Still excited as fuck to hear the rest of the album though.
Back to top Go down
aelliott88
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
aelliott88

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Just heard rollin and tumblin. Sounds great, pretty different. Looking forward to hearing the rest!!
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Kropotkin wrote:
Green Day!  Oh I could on and on about them and many of the 'punk' bands that just pop out the same sounding material - (Anti-Flag, Sum 41, Blink 182, etc., etc., etc. ...).

Green Day and Blink-182 (I can't speak for the other bands you mentioned because I don't like them) both have a pretty wide variety of styles, though. Dude ranch doesn't sound like Take off your pants and jacket doesn't sound like Blink 182, Dookie doesn't sound like Warning doesn't sound like American idiot etc.

As far as "saving" or "bringing back" rock and roll is concerned, I find it to be a pretty silly argument. It's never gonna be as huge as it once was, just like jazz never will be, or disco, etc etc. What goes on in the mainstream is always bound to change but the mainstream doesn't really matter. How much more do you want people to "talk about" rock and roll? There's a fuckload of great rock bands out there and I think to say that something is dead just because you're too lazy to find it is, well....lazy.

Now, to the subject of their new single. It makes me feel like I've lost hope in this album and (to be quite honest) in the band. I really don't like the way they're progressing, it's like they're turning more generic with every release. I think American Slang was their last great record, with Handwritten having potential to be their best one but burdened by a lifeless, glossy production (and a bunch of poor songs).

Still excited as fuck to hear the rest of the album though.

That's what I meant when I said you can either like the direction bands take when they change or mature, or not. I like the Dude Ranch Blink 182 much better than the Neighborhoods Blink 182 but well... That doesn't mean I don't enjoy both actually. Well, not Neighborhoods. I hated that stupid record. But I do like American Idiot. The following I find too soft as well.

Well I think you get my point anyway.
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Yes the point is clear.

What I've heard and seen so far for Get Hurt has rather only personally made my hope stronger for the album and the band.
Back to top Go down
tigerstrom29
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
tigerstrom29

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 1:47 am

I think that the new single was good, nothing over the top or something bad. A "classic" Gaslight-song with a little bit rougher sound. The description of the song that Brian mentioned was spot on in my opinion. Im really looking forward listening to the new album and some touring now. Im sure it'll turn out great!
Back to top Go down
infoghost
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
infoghost

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 9:24 am

I dig the new song. Reminds me of older stuff, with the American Slang sound, which I really missed from Handwritten (which I love on its own, but there were things I missed for sure.)
Back to top Go down
23Punk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 9:54 am

I mentioned that a band that could help make rock relevant again I think it would be The Gaslight Anthem, that's just my opinion. Some of the other bands mentioned have no chance now of making it or time has passed them by. I think Green Day is done, Sum 41 are done, Blink 182 are done, Anti Flag I like a lot but all their stuff sounds the same. Against Me is a great band, Rise Against is a good band but again all their stuff sounds the same. I also don't take what is said about how a new album is suppose to go back to a bands roots seriously. Handwritten was suppose to sound similar to The 59 Sound and Sink or Swim, I didn't get the same feeling when I heard it. Now again with this album the same thing was said its going to remind people of Sink or Swim or The 59 Sound, I highly doubt that the band can say stuff like that all they want but in truth the band can't remake those albums. Those albums are special and can't be redone. I really hope that this album is very different and can stand as a different side to The Gaslight Anthem that I have never heard before the single was good but it wasn't anything that blew me away like The 59 Sound, the new single sounds similar to what was on Handwritten or American Slang, I wouldn't say it sounds like Sink or Swim at all. It would be cool to hear a 60s garage rock track or tracks on this new album, that's something different and new that the band has never done.
Back to top Go down
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson
vamike

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 10:03 am

I didn't expect much. which is a good thing as I'm not very impressed by the new song.

the thing is the band had something huge going on on the Sink Or Swim album, and the EP was great too. The other albums are still good, but there's something missing IMO. the new song has even less of that.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 10:08 am

23Punk wrote:

I wouldn't say it sounds like Sink or Swim at all.  

Interesting, I thought the music for Rollin' and Tumblin' could have fit very well on Sink or Swim.

The vocal work itself is pretty dynamic: lines like "Shimmy, shimmy, shake..." sound like something off Sink or Swim, that "burning like a firework" line (as forced as it may sound), reminds me of Old Haunts, and the "All of my friends are trying to get into heaven" (or whatever it is) echoes Brian's vocal approach to Handwritten. I found it very cumulative.

Also, on the 40 second teaser trailer, he had that low, gruff vocalization that was on Sink or Swim, with a grittier arrangement that sounded like a Sink or Swim-era version of Too Much Blood (and say what you may about TMB, it had great music, it just dragged on)

Granted, this is only based on 3:30 of total song time, but knowing only what I know, I think we might be in for a nice blend of different things Gaslight has done in the past. Like they've taken the best pieces of each record and put them together.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 11:28 am

23Punk wrote:

Rise Against is a good band but again all their stuff sounds the same.  

I think you could classify Rise Against as "done", too. They haven't released a good album since 2006 after starting their career with four albums that ranged from good to great (Revolutions Per Minute is one of my favorite albums by any band). The first single off of their new album doesn't inspire much confidence that they're back, either.
Back to top Go down
23Punk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 11:41 am

Suffer and the Witness is a great album, I also liked Appeal to Reason a lot, Endgame to me was their most boring album I remember buying it 3 years ago at Target, It just doesn't sound as good as their older stuff. I heard the first single off the new album and it reminded me of something off of endgame it's a boring new single, the lyrics are cool but its to repetitive with the title being said over and over again in the song, hopefully the rest of their new album is good and different.
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 12:58 pm

23Punk wrote:

Suffer and the Witness is a great album, I also liked Appeal to Reason a lot, Endgame to me was their most boring album I remember buying it 3 years ago at Target, It just doesn't sound as good as their older stuff. I heard the first single off the new album and it reminded me of something off of endgame it's a boring new single, the lyrics are cool but its to repetitive with the title being said over and over again in the song, hopefully the rest of their new album is good and different.

Yeah, Sufferer is great, but it came out 8 years ago. The two following albums have been a lot of generic "bro rock", which is really disappointing since Rise Against had been one of my favorite bands for years ever since seeing them and Against Me! open up for Anti-Flag at BB King's in NYC years ago. I'm sort of holding out hope that maybe this album will turn it around, but I can't say I'm confident in the band anymore.
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 1:48 pm

If I don't have expectations from a band, then I can handle the same old same old - this for example Rage Against The Machine, Metallica, RHCP, etc., where I know it will always sound roughly the same.

But as a user said earlier on with TGA I have Great Expectations - and enjoy the fact that they surprise us with new sounds and new directions - whether we like them or not - it adds something special to the experience for me - I see it as another level of musicianship when bands can grow and change over time.

And as for the other albums they have released, they have all grown on me, I don't see why this one won't as well - and it helps to play the album non-stop for 2 months Smile
Back to top Go down
Hasler09
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Hasler09

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 1:54 pm

anyone know why Gaslight are in London right now? sorry didn't know how to make a new thread!
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 8:26 pm

I feel really good things about this album, like, only two songs heard so far and it's hitting me in a way that nothing has hit me in a long time. I feel somehow like it's going to be the album Brian's been needing to write for years.
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 9:57 pm

flannel wrote:
I feel really good things about this album, like, only two songs heard so far and it's hitting me in a way that nothing has hit me in a long time.  I feel somehow like it's going to be the album Brian's been needing to write for years.

I feel the exact same as you. These 2 songs have met my expectations and I can only imagine what the other 14 are going to provide. I loved "Handwritten" but these 2 songs have surpassed anything from that album. I feel like the sound is similar to Blue Dahlia which was my favorite song from Handwritten. These songs, especially "Get Hurt" sound so majestic.
Back to top Go down
Unorthadox1080
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 8:30 am

I know this isn't really relevant to this thread but I've seen a lot of criticism of Handwritten recently and this has got me thinking. I really like it a lot, and probably would have it second to the 59 sound. However I think the problem with it may have been there was nothing distinctive about it. American Slang is their best album lyrically, 59 sound has the best songs and Sink or Swim has that raw sound and energy which we all love. There's nothing like that you can pin to Handwritten.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:50 am

Shaping up to be my favorite album. Seriously better than Handwritten, and I love Handwritten.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]
Page 7 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next