DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists

Go down 
+15
Forum Owner
Jukebox Romeo
The Major
ambrose
syebot
Suck_It_Trebek
billy pilgrim
spraypainthero
hyperballad
dandangoose
PatientFabiWheel
Stalls_Standing
e7c
JoshRaymond
JakobDoetman
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
dandangoose
A Contender
A Contender
dandangoose

Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 10:01 pm

The Major wrote:
Kropotkin wrote:
The Major wrote:

I was heavily into the whole Anarcho punk scene in the late 70's / early 80's and saw Crass six times.

Any cool stories to share? We're all ears! I like the ethos better than the music really.

EDIT: Extra points if you have seen PETER AND THE TEST TUBE BABIES.

I saw the Test Tube Babies about five times from 1982 - 1996...a good live band...went out for a drink with them once. They were supposed to play a gig in Sandown, Isle of Wight at the local college...however the buffoon of a promoter forgot to hire a P.A so they never played and I ended up drinking in some empty trendy disco with them...Peter was a boring git but Trapper and the drummer were a good laugh

The whole Anarcho punk scene got stale very quickly...too many 'Scene Police' who took Crass's ideals too seriously. The first time I saw Crass they played a hall with a capacity of 600, but the promoter sold about 900 tickets,and locked the entance gates to the scene when the hall was full which resulted in 300 climbing over a barbed wire fence to get into the venue. It was quite an intimidating gig as there were about 150 skinheads who were intent on causing trouble which was the norm for shows in Birmingham,UK in the early 80's...the first time Bad Brains played in Birmingham in 1983 they supported the UK Subs and were met with a shower of cans, bottles and people spitting at them...despite this they managed to win the crowd over in the end...Black Flag also had a rough time when they came over...I never saw them but it's well documented in Rollins book / cd 'Get in the van'...recommended reading / listening if you haven't done so already
wow, you have had quite the show going career.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/therotpunx
hostutca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Top five most Revolutionary bands/artists in music (no particular order):

1. Chuck Berry
2. Miles Davis
3. Thom Yorke
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. The Velvet Underground

In Punk (Also in no order):
1. The Who
2. Fugazi
3. Minor Threat
4. Ramones
4.5. The Sex Pistols <- sorry, couldn't help it
5. The Clash

As for Nirvana, if you ask me; they paved the way for Nickelback and Puddle of Mudd.

They certainly did a lot for popular music, I would not take that away from them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cnotemu
Shipyards
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Shipyards

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 1:14 pm

Good thread. The way I see it REVOLUTION can be seen in two ways- revolution for music & revolution for you personally.

There are bands who changed the world, but had minimal effect on us I suppose? Like The Beatles, they changed everything on one level, but mean very little to me. Whilst there are bands we all love that 99% of the population have never heard of.
Back to top Go down
dandangoose
A Contender
A Contender
dandangoose

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 8:04 pm

hostutca wrote:

As for Nirvana, if you ask me; they paved the way for Nickelback and Puddle of Mudd.
hahahahahahahah
you rule
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/therotpunx
airportmondaymorning
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 11:14 pm

My humble opinion:

Black Flag
Minor Threat- BF & MT because they were both doing their own thing, which was completely different than anything else before them.
Nirvana- Not a big fan, but they did inspire a new style of hardcore and without them we may still be stuck in the 80s hair metal.
Descendents- they were wayyyy ahead of their time.
The Clash- Not really revolutionary, but they inspired a lot of bands politically and musically.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 11:48 pm

yeah, Descendents were incredible. sooo many good songs, even into the '90s and '00s. and I just found out that Frank Navetta just passed away last Halloween. bummer
Back to top Go down
Dharma Punx PGH
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Dharma Punx PGH

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 5:25 pm

Top Major Musical Influences Ever!

The Clash
The Ramones
Miles Davis
Hank Williams
Chuck Berry
Social Distortion
The Rolling Stones
The Sex Pistols
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/bertovich
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 5:30 pm

how old are you? not trying to be creepy, but your musical tastes are pretty old school
Back to top Go down
Dharma Punx PGH
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Dharma Punx PGH

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 7:57 pm

HA
Im 25...
Is that creepy?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/bertovich
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 8:04 pm

no, i meant it sounded creepy with me asking how old you are

and that's a lot younger than i expected, looking at your list of bands, assuming those are your favorites
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4