DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists

Go down 
+15
Forum Owner
Jukebox Romeo
The Major
ambrose
syebot
Suck_It_Trebek
billy pilgrim
spraypainthero
hyperballad
dandangoose
PatientFabiWheel
Stalls_Standing
e7c
JoshRaymond
JakobDoetman
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
syebot
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 7:35 pm

...I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole. all I know is I love Joe Strummer and almost every musician I love does too,
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 8:57 pm

hyperballad wrote:
BOMB THE BANKS!

(I hope this forum isn't being watched by the government Razz)

lets do it set them all on fire
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 6:41 am

JoshRaymond wrote:
hyperballad wrote:
BOMB THE BANKS!

lets do it set them all on fire

having worked hard for 10 years now (sorry, jobs in high school or while your at college does not count as working hard), and having been very frugal with my money... I am going to have to say no to that plan.

There are people that are completely undeserving of their wealth, but there others of us that work so much harder than everyone else that success comes to us. If your parents worked hard and spent their money wisely than they deserve what they have.

It is not my job, or my responsibility to raise up people that do not want to work as hard as I do.
Back to top Go down
Suck_It_Trebek
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Suck_It_Trebek

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 4:45 pm

dandangoose wrote:
Stalls_Standing wrote:
Crass could of made a bigger difference if they talked about things other than wealth
see because of that, theyre so appealing to me.
im not considered lower class on the social scale, but it seems like i am.
i go to a primarily white school where a good amount of kids are incredibly wealthy, spoiled rotten peices of shit.

my mom was telling me about a party that a family we 'know' threw (one of their kids is on my little brother's baseball team).
apparently they had a very large in-ground swimming pool that when you pushed a button, a plexiglass cover slides out and the pool becomes a dance floor.
this family also owns 7 cars.
this family also owns several restaraunts in the area, and used to own a series of movie rental franchises.
this family also built a 4-room treehouse for their kids with internet, phone, air/heat, etc.

thats an abuse of resources in my book.

By listening to crass, i learned that this is wrong.

People buy this stupid shit, and then complain when they have to pay taxes on their stupid shit.

Its GREED.

Before i started listening to punk rock, i wanted to be a pharmacist because of the money.
i had no attraction to the medical field, other than the fact that i was going to makes shitloads of money.
i didnt even realize that its the most boring fucking job possible.
its all calculations and measurements.
plus, your given so much responsibility and liability.

i know it sounds cheesy, but i realized there has to be something more to life than money.
im not really sure what it is, but im looking.

Theres nothing wrong with being wealthy. My dad is a prime example. He used to work in my grandpas shop sweeping floors. Eventually he became manager. Then he sold the business to a bigger chain. Then he eventually worked up the corporate ladder and for a while we had a lot of 'dolla billz'. But then he got laid off, and he started his own business. And we're back to square one...but now its me sweeping.

Its basically work ethic. Im only 16 and it's obvious to me that if I want anything in life, I need to work for it.

I apologize for the life story rant. Neutral
Back to top Go down
dandangoose
A Contender
A Contender
dandangoose

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 8:34 pm

no, work ethic is great.
i work for just about everything in my life.
i dont get things handed to me on a silver platter from my parents.
working for something is great.
having money and abusing it is bad.
this guy obviously didnt need the plexiglass dancefloor.
hes not modest by any meaning of the word either.
he brags to other parents about owning these things.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/therotpunx
Suck_It_Trebek
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Suck_It_Trebek

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:47 pm

Well, I agree that bragging is a bit ridiculous.
But if he wants to have a plexiglass dancefloor, let him have it. It's not like youre paying for it. Haha

I would pay money just to watch it break. That would be extremely amusing. A swift kick in the face for bragging. Haha
Back to top Go down
ambrose
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 5:41 pm

I know this is not what this thread is for at all but for me, personally, my revolutionary bands in the way I see music or life were:

1. The Beatles
2. Nirvana
3. Gatsbys American Dream

I can't even really expand that to Top 5, right now at least.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 5:44 pm

I have heard of the first two... but who is Gatsbys American Dream?
Back to top Go down
ambrose
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:27 pm

they're a kind of short lived pop-punkish (but not like all those other bands, they definitely expanded that sound past what it's used to) and they became a big force in standing up against bullshit business tactics used by booking agents, record labels, etc etc. towards the middle of the band to the end of it. they're like TGA in the way that they reference so much stuff, but they're more about referencing books and movies than actual other artists' songs. they were the first band that got me interested in how the music business is fucked and i heard of some pretty great bands through the singer of the band and plus, they got me interested in checking out The Great Gatsby which is now my favorite novel.

/rant

this is a quote from the guitarist Bobby Darling talking about their ep, In The Land of Lost Monsters.

"I remember we showcased for a record label once. The guy who ran the
label sat on a couch and watched us play, and after we finished he said
that no label in their right mind would sign us because we didn’t have
choruses in our songs. I don’t know if he expected us to thank him for
the words of wisdom. I think I was just irritated. I’m still irritated.
And not because he was a condescending shit head. I’m irritated because
he was right. We were never going to fit into this industry. We were
never going to sell a lot of records. For the most part, this business
rewards you for conforming, it encourages mediocrity, and it tries to
stamp out creative thought. And what we were making was just art, all
along. So we were stomping mad. We got tired later, but first we were
mad. And I think that’s where In The Land of Lost Monsters came
from. I think at the end of the day we just wanted to say, “Okay, we
understand that this is the way the industry works. But it’s fucking
stupid. So fuck you.” So we said it with an EP"
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 3:29 am

They sound cool, any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
ambrose
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 4:47 am

it all depends what you're into i guess. their first album is kinda generic pop punk just with better musicianship. their second album is more weird time signature, no chorus pop-punk and then after that they turned to into like an alternative, indie, pop-rock band that rarely use choruses and love weird time signatures and talking about a dinosaurs for two albums. then their last album was a giant FUCK YOU to the music industry and was more of a raw punk sound only not really at all..i dunno. it's really hard to explain.

http://www.myspace.com/gatsbysamericandream
The songs they have on here are pretty good representations of the albums they're off of.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:55 am

Tell me your top 5, that is what I will get.
Back to top Go down
ambrose
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 6:42 pm

haha they've only got 5 albums.

i'll rank em for you though
In the Land of Lost Monsters EP
Ribbons and Sugar
Volcano
Gatsbys American Dream
Why We Fight
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 11:14 am

I meant top 5 songs, but I guess that is even better, I will get In The Land of Lost Monsters
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 11:18 am

so there was no monsters ep on iTunes, so I got Ribbons and Sugar instead... I will try to give it a listen this week
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Oh wow, I'd mostly forgotten about Gatsby's American Dream. Listening to them when I was 14 or 15 was like having someone constantly reminding me to do my English homework, haha.
Back to top Go down
The Major
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: from 197   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 9:35 am

dandangoose wrote:
fuck you, my friend (not being mean, haha)
they brought DIY ethics to punk rock.
punk rock bands before them relied on major labels.
Crass Records was a rolemodel for the independent record labels of the 80's.
It might seem far-fetched, but ill go out on a limb and say that without crass and crass records, there wouldnt have been a hardcore scene in america (even though crass sounds nothing like an 80's hardcore band).
or any modern DIY scenes.

crass was incredibly revolutionary.

Rubbish...there was an incredibly healthy DIY scene in the UK from 1977 onwards starting with the Buzzcocks 'Spiral Scratch'. Although the major labels were falling over themselves to sign anything in tight trousers there were hundreds of indie labels. In fact, Crass's first release was on Small Wonder who were reponsible for releasing some of the classic early UK punk singles

However I do agree that Crass were one of the most influential bands. Their whole ethos inspired not only musicians but also shaped a lot of people's views. I was heavily into the whole Anarcho punk scene in the late 70's / early 80's and saw Crass six times.
Back to top Go down
dandangoose
A Contender
A Contender
dandangoose

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 12:28 pm

The Major wrote:
saw Crass six times.
you are my superior.
Back to top Go down
The Major
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 7:16 pm

dandangoose wrote:
The Major wrote:
saw Crass six times.
you are my superior.

Oh dear...I feel embarrassed...and very very old...to be honest they weren't very good live...other bands around the time were far better live...Flux of Pink Indians...the Mob...and the Omega Tribe spring to mind...don't know whether your familiar with any of the bands...but would recommend them if you're into the Anarcho scene...a million miles away from GTA though
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 7:26 pm

The Major wrote:
a million miles away from GTA though

haha...GTA...Grand Theft Auto
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 5:06 am

The Major wrote:

I was heavily into the whole Anarcho punk scene in the late 70's / early 80's and saw Crass six times.

Any cool stories to share? We're all ears! I like the ethos better than the music really.

EDIT: Extra points if you have seen PETER AND THE TEST TUBE BABIES.
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
dandangoose
A Contender
A Contender
dandangoose

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 10:00 pm

The Major wrote:
dandangoose wrote:
The Major wrote:
saw Crass six times.
you are my superior.

Oh dear...I feel embarrassed...and very very old...to be honest they weren't very good live...other bands around the time were far better live...Flux of Pink Indians...the Mob...and the Omega Tribe spring to mind...don't know whether your familiar with any of the bands...but would recommend them if you're into the Anarcho scene...a million miles away from GTA though
oh well of course. ive been listening to crass way longer than ive been listening to the gaslight anthem.

to be truthful, i wasnt too impressed flux of pink indians.
they were ok.
i listened to them a few times.

i went through a phase where all i listened to was anarcho and crust.
like aus rotten, conflict, nausea, crass, etc.

i dont like the subhumans though.
Back to top Go down
The Major
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Kropotkin wrote:
The Major wrote:

I was heavily into the whole Anarcho punk scene in the late 70's / early 80's and saw Crass six times.

Any cool stories to share? We're all ears! I like the ethos better than the music really.

EDIT: Extra points if you have seen PETER AND THE TEST TUBE BABIES.

I saw the Test Tube Babies about five times from 1982 - 1996...a good live band...went out for a drink with them once. They were supposed to play a gig in Sandown, Isle of Wight at the local college...however the buffoon of a promoter forgot to hire a P.A so they never played and I ended up drinking in some empty trendy disco with them...Peter was a boring git but Trapper and the drummer were a good laugh

The whole Anarcho punk scene got stale very quickly...too many 'Scene Police' who took Crass's ideals too seriously. The first time I saw Crass they played a hall with a capacity of 600, but the promoter sold about 900 tickets,and locked the entance gates to the scene when the hall was full which resulted in 300 climbing over a barbed wire fence to get into the venue. It was quite an intimidating gig as there were about 150 skinheads who were intent on causing trouble which was the norm for shows in Birmingham,UK in the early 80's...the first time Bad Brains played in Birmingham in 1983 they supported the UK Subs and were met with a shower of cans, bottles and people spitting at them...despite this they managed to win the crowd over in the end...Black Flag also had a rough time when they came over...I never saw them but it's well documented in Rollins book / cd 'Get in the van'...recommended reading / listening if you haven't done so already
Back to top Go down
The Major
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 7:43 pm

dandangoose wrote:
The Major wrote:
dandangoose wrote:
The Major wrote:
saw Crass six times.
you are my superior.

oh well of course. ive been listening to crass way longer than ive been listening to the gaslight anthem.

to be truthful, i wasnt too impressed flux of pink indians.
they were ok.
i listened to them a few times.

i went through a phase where all i listened to was anarcho and crust.
like aus rotten, conflict, nausea, crass, etc.

i dont like the subhumans though.

Some of Flux's stuff is unlistenable...but the first single 'Tube Disasters' and album 'Strive to survive' were great...I don't mind the Subhumans...saw them a few times in the early 80's but didn't really rate them...however saw them again when they reformed in 1998 and they were excellent...a band I knew released an e.p on the Subhumans Spiderleg label in the mid 80's...ironically the guitarist in the band (The Sears) is now a well respected sound engineer on the metal scene and has worked with Fear Factory and Slipknot

too be honest have never heard Aus Rotten or Nausea...any recommendations ?
Back to top Go down
dandangoose
A Contender
A Contender
dandangoose

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

we'll extinction by nausea is quite good if youre in a crust/metal mood.
the only turn off about them is the chicks voice.
she sounds really silly about 2/3 of the time.
but she only sings for some of it.
the male vocalist is way better.
but i had to get used to his voice.
at first i didnt like them, but they definitely grew on me.

i borrowed my friends 'the system works for them' record by aus rotten.
at first i was really into it. its really fast.
then after a while i realized its really typical.

conflict rules though.
the studio half of increase the pressure is fantastic.

and i considered crass my favorite band for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists   Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top Five Most Revolutionary Bands/Artists
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next