DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your favourite TGA song and why?

Go down 
+54
Jerseyrain
luckysparks
eagles1139
Harbortown
Fiddler
DeathoftheCool
mingus
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Little Eden
simo
Jay
JerseyDevil
ann_mac913
jennylenore
borrowedcar
kieran
Jeff
stayhungry
clashcityrocker
e7c
dizzyblondecharlie
Jack
a Dirty Angel
Izzy Eviel
RobertODonnell
WoodyJoe
RunawaySmile
isthisreal
ViktorDelarm
KittyKat
massie1903
noble_man
Palmer89
saint
Vibes
Stevearm
mescalero
koolmcr
steph
MCStevepants
moosicmaniac
kcdc
Prisoner
Reinvent good times
LBAZ
Forum Owner
MissTiffers
Stalls_Standing
Tiffiny
andy.mac
ktp
Snap
Jukebox Romeo
steady now steady now
58 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:18 pm

i think brian said it was his wife, alex's sister, but i am not positive
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 pm

Back to top Go down
stayhungry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:55 pm

yeah i figured it was his wife... but jet mullen? cool, i guess haha. ah well it doesn't really matter who sang it. it's a great song whoever it was
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:08 pm

i've never heard of jet mullen
Back to top Go down
ann_mac913
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ann_mac913

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:19 am

on SaTQ- Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis

SoS- I'da Called You Woody, Joe

59 - Ever evolving, great expectations got me listening in the first place, Cassanova Baby got me hooked as a fan, but now I find myself playing Backseat all the time...it grew on me!
Back to top Go down
JerseyDevil
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
JerseyDevil

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 am

1930 hands down
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 4:09 am

Right now, Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts, purely for romantic heartbreak reasons.

But normally Ida Called You Woody, Joe and Casanova, Baby are my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Hate to bump the topic, but mine has since changed to The Patient Ferris Wheel after a near tear-inducing acoustic rendition of it in Philly way back. Everybody in the audience screaming "fight about it!" Can't beat that.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm not sure I can decide a favorite. But "I'da Called You Woody" was certainly the song that drew me in. A friend of mine had recommended the band to me and I was checking out a few songs on Youtube. I thought they were okay but had kind of pegged them as a pop-punk band going in. Then when I realized they had a Joe Strummer song, I realized they must be more than some Blink 182 type band.
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 am

The first TGA song I ever heard was Old White Lincoln on the radio and it caught my attention because my best friend lives in her high tops and drives an old white lincoln. It was too perfect. The love affair took off from there...

However, my favorite song has to be The Backseat. I can relate to restless feeling so well and will play it on repeat just to hear "If you never let me go, I will never let you down" over and over again
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:50 am

It's so hard to pick just one favorite, but I think the song I connect to the most on an emotional level is Bring it On, specifically the lyrics "give me the children you don't want to raise". I listened to the American Slang album hundreds of times last year and it was the anthem to a very difficult, stressful summer for me. One of my relatives was at risk of losing her kids (I would have gotten custody which would have been much better for everyone involved) and I was making long drives to her house several times a week to take care of the kids and diffuse emotional bombs. I can't even tell you how many times I cried as I sang along to this song in the car after leaving those kids behind. This album, and Bring it On in particular, saved my sanity last year, so that's why it will probably always be my favorite.
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 am

Tomaldo wrote:
evil_romantic wrote:
For me it would have to be Casanova, Baby!

'So come and take my hand, I'll give the very best I can for ya'

'Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home'

Sounds like me when I'm drunk sometimes and talking to girls. I don't think Brian meant it this way though!

Sorry for quoting a two year old message, but actually, it is a little bit about that. In the acoustic session Brian did for Casanova, Baby, he said: "this song is about not so much being a Casanova, but trying to prove it to a lady anyway". So you weren't that wrong Smile

For me: Here's Looking At You, Kid; no doubt about it. The lyrics, the emotion in his voice, the "boys will be boys"-bit, the bridge (especially live), the ending,... There is nothing about this song that I don't adore. My Last FM-profile says I listened to this 121 times, but if you would count the live versions and the times I listened to it on my iPod, I think that number would be dubelled. And it still gives me a great, warm feeling every time I listen to it...
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 12:54 pm

I agree with IrishNameAndAnInjury, Bring It On is my favorite Gaslight song, and is also my favorite song of all time. Ferocious
Back to top Go down
Fiddler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Fiddler

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 1:34 pm

I would problably say Backseat. I love the energy when they play the song..wrapping up the whole show. And as always when the "Come July, we'll ride the Ferris Wheel. Go round and round and round."-part comes, Benji is singing along behind his drums. He seems to love that part!
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 1:54 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
It's so hard to pick just one favorite, but I think the song I connect to the most on an emotional level is Bring it On, specifically the lyrics "give me the children you don't want to raise". I listened to the American Slang album hundreds of times last year and it was the anthem to a very difficult, stressful summer for me. One of my relatives was at risk of losing her kids (I would have gotten custody which would have been much better for everyone involved) and I was making long drives to her house several times a week to take care of the kids and diffuse emotional bombs. I can't even tell you how many times I cried as I sang along to this song in the car after leaving those kids behind. This album, and Bring it On in particular, saved my sanity last year, so that's why it will probably always be my favorite.
Dang. I had a similar experience with the entire album last summer when I went through some hardships. Especially American Slang is the one that seemed to almost speak to me.

I think that's one of the great things about their songs. They reach down deep in your soul but at the same time they help you pull together.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Dang. I had a similar experience with the entire album last summer when I went through some hardships. Especially American Slang is the one that seemed to almost speak to me.

I think that's one of the great things about their songs. They reach down deep in your soul but at the same time they help you pull together.

Bingo. The last line you wrote summed up my thoughts perfectly. Maybe you should be a writer, Harbortown!
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Harbortown wrote:

Bingo. The last line you wrote summed up my thoughts perfectly. Maybe you should be a writer, Harbortown!
Well apart from most of my posts on this forum being works of art, I actually carry around a little notebook most places I go. It's full of lyrics. It's a pretty damn sweet way to get things out of your system.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm gonna go with Great Expectations. That song ripped my heart right out when I first started listening to Gaslight and it still hits me hard every time I hear it. Just the line, "everybody leaves, so why, why wouldn't you?", kills me. And the whole second verse, about staying inside reading or writing instead of going to parties or whatever, describes me perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:02 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:
I'm gonna go with Great Expectations. That song ripped my heart right out when I first started listening to Gaslight and it still hits me hard every time I hear it. Just the line, "everybody leaves, so why, why wouldn't you?", kills me. And the whole second verse, about staying inside reading or writing instead of going to parties or whatever, describes me perfectly.
Sarah. Is this you?

Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 W5psN
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:13 pm

hahaha, no! I'm just more of an introvert, and enjoy alone time. And at the time when I first discovered this song and Gaslight I used to get really upset about being so reserved, and wonder why I was because most of the people around me were super outgoing. And even though I don't get upset about it anymore, this song just always reminds me of feeling like that.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Ah yeah, I know what it's like. I'm that kind of person too, I just force myself to go to parties because good things actually come of it! Even though I am always super nervous to go.

Anyway yes, it is indeed an incredible song. The first TGA song I got into in fact. The intro guitar lick is just one of those "Aaahhh" moments. It's so hauntingly beautiful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Ah yeah, I know what it's like. I'm that kind of person too, I just force myself to go to parties because good things actually come of it! Even though I am always super nervous to go.

I'm the same way, just have to make myself go, and even if I don't have a good time, it's not the end of the world and at least I got myself out there.

Harbortown wrote:
Anyway yes, it is indeed an incredible song. The first TGA song I got into in fact. The intro guitar lick is just one of those "Aaahhh" moments. It's so hauntingly beautiful.

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better.

Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:33 pm

Sometimes its not until after I watch a live performance that I realize how much I love a song. This video has convinced me that Old White Lincoln is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cIUi6yzpQI
Back to top Go down
luckysparks
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
luckysparks

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 6:33 pm

I love this band because everytime I try to pick a favourite song, I end up with a list of about ten, end up with another five whilst trying to narrow it down, before giving up entirely. It's all just THAT good.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:07 pm

Definitely The Patient Ferris wheel. It has a great energy that makes you want to jump around. Its catchy, the lyrics are cool and it reminds me of the weekend I spent in Asbury Park. There were Hurricane warnings and it absolutely pelted it down most of the time, but i still walked along the boardwalk for a long way anyway. Basicly Ive been out on the boardwalk in the pounding Jersey rain so that alone makes me smile when I hear the song... shame the ferris wheel isn't in Asbury anymore...
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your favourite TGA song and why?
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next