DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your favourite TGA song and why?

Go down 
+54
Jerseyrain
luckysparks
eagles1139
Harbortown
Fiddler
DeathoftheCool
mingus
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Little Eden
simo
Jay
JerseyDevil
ann_mac913
jennylenore
borrowedcar
kieran
Jeff
stayhungry
clashcityrocker
e7c
dizzyblondecharlie
Jack
a Dirty Angel
Izzy Eviel
RobertODonnell
WoodyJoe
RunawaySmile
isthisreal
ViktorDelarm
KittyKat
massie1903
noble_man
Palmer89
saint
Vibes
Stevearm
mescalero
koolmcr
steph
MCStevepants
moosicmaniac
kcdc
Prisoner
Reinvent good times
LBAZ
Forum Owner
MissTiffers
Stalls_Standing
Tiffiny
andy.mac
ktp
Snap
Jukebox Romeo
steady now steady now
58 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Your favourite TGA song and why? Empty
PostSubject: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 5:47 am

‘We Came to Dance’. For one thing, it’s a song about music itself, about music in action, and about the role that music can play in people's lives. It is also about the redeeming qualities of music and about everyone’s ability to make things better, to reinvent the good times and bring it all back home again, no matter how bad things might be(come). It’s also about community, about the songs “we” sing, as emphasised by the band’s background vocals. Musically, it is superb. The change in tempo, in rhythm, in volume. It is played superbly, with all four band members at their very creative best. It goes all out, yet it’s not arrogant. Its Born to Run and Rosalita and Mary’s Place rolled into one, yet it’s much more than a combination of these. It’s as good as it gets. Its one of those very rare songs that actually moves me to tears, both for its sentiments and for the simple privilege of being able to share in it.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Mon May 04, 2009 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 7:46 am

Blue Jeans. it's a song about overcoming hardships, a night on the town with your brothers, how much music means to them, and it has that quintessential romanticism found in so many Gaslight songs: "I'll love you forever if I ever love at all". just the perfect song
Back to top Go down
Snap
A Contender
A Contender
Snap

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 2:00 pm

'Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis?' because it was the first song I ever heard by the band, and both the melody and lyrics are beautiful ("I got nothing for you darling but a story to tell, about the rain on the pavement and the sound as it fell.") It reminds me of chilled out summer evenings... Always have a soft spot for the SatQ EP.
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 4:19 pm

1930 - 'i love you more than the stars in the sky, but your name just escapes me tonight.' what more can i say?!

thought live i'd have to say 'say i won't' cos it was the 1st song i heard of theirs and is always good for a sing-a-long/jump around!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

High Lonesome. I don't really know why, which doesn't help. Lyrically it's perhaps not as meaningful as my other favourites such as 1930 and Great Expectations- and the Patient Ferris Wheel is catching it up very quickly, but according to iTunes its the one I've listened to the most, so I'll have to say that.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 7:20 am

For me it would have to be Casanova, Baby!

'So come and take my hand, I'll give the very best I can for ya'

'Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home'

These two parts just have personal significance for me, definitely caught me off guard when I first heard it and I completely related to it.
Back to top Go down
Tiffiny
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Tiffiny

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts right now. I adore the music and the words. IDK I'm not in the mood to elaborate right now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanindie.net
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis

Lyrically untouchable
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:25 pm

evil_romantic wrote:

Sounds like me when I'm drunk sometimes and talking to girls. I don't think Brian meant it this way though!

Stalls I think most Gaslight songs are lyrically untouchable...I like the: ''Cos I've been dying out here...(upto) pray for my soul, Senorita.' bit best from Wherefore, its is one of the most memorable Gaslight lines in my opinion. I don't know what the correct musical term for this part of the song is but I'm sure there is one.
Back to top Go down
MissTiffers
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 7:14 pm

Tomaldo wrote:
evil_romantic wrote:

Sounds like me when I'm drunk sometimes and talking to girls. I don't think Brian meant it this way though!

HAHA *high five* No Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 12:51 am

evil_romantic wrote:

These two parts just have personal significance for me, definitely caught me off guard when I first heard it and I completely related to it.

I always sing FUCK THIS DEAD MAN'S TOWN ... !!! ;-)
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 12:53 am

There are SO many to choose from! But for now I'd say my two favs are Blue Jeans and High Lonesome.

Blue Jeans is such a soulful song and High Lonesome has that great line "I always kinda sorta wished I looked like Elvis / ... was someone else" - great lines to a great song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 5:22 am

Kropotkin wrote:
I always sing FUCK THIS DEAD MAN'S TOWN ... !!! ;-)

Haha. Yet I don't think any Gaslight song contains an expletive/curse/swear words, which is unusual given their prominence in todays society and music as a whole.
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 6:35 am

You can still say a lot, and in fact much more, with good grammar and carefully choosen words rather than just saying 'I fucking hate this fucking shit town'.
People will probably take you more seriously and have more respect for your opinions instead of taking the shortcut with horrible language.
I remember listening to Springsteen's Working on Dream and the track Queen of the Supermarket and I burst out in fits of laughter when he swore! Same thing happened at his concert I went to when he shouted that he wanted to get 'rid of all those fucking cell phones'. I got some wierd looks from the old diehards around me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nomies_alien_lover
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 6:40 am

LBAZ wrote:
You can still say a lot, and in fact much more, with good grammar and carefully choosen words rather than just saying 'I fucking hate this fucking shit town'.
People will probably take you more seriously and have more respect for your opinions instead of taking the shortcut with horrible language.
I remember listening to Springsteen's Working on Dream and the track Queen of the Supermarket and I burst out in fits of laughter when he swore! Same thing happened at his concert I went to when he shouted that he wanted to get 'rid of all those fucking cell phones'. I got some wierd looks from the old diehards around me.

True enough - but it sounds so much more potent, you know, 'forget this dead man's town' or 'fuck this dead man's town' - I prefer the swearing, which arguably is all the more powerful because they don't usually swear. It has a force and a kick and a bite that 'forget' just doesn't have ... maybe somebody should pass this idea by Brian!??!!
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 7:58 am

Benny would probably be more up for it than Brain.
Did you hear how much he swore on that Issue Orinented Podcast? It took my by suprise actually.
Brian doesn't seem like the one who would swear. He is probably more the one who will use his words to talk rings around you in a fight and make you end up wondering what you were angry about in the first place.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 10:59 am

ok, that swearing discussion was quite interesting, but there must be more people out there who can tell us what their favourite TGA song is and why ... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 11:52 am

Sorry...
I can't pick. Each one has an element, or several, that makes it great. Let me think a bit more and I will get back to you..
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 2:47 pm

The 59 Sound edges out We Came to dance, barely. (See username). Love when he says "Did you hear your favorite song one last time?" it's such an emotional song, you can scream it, pump your fist. To me, you have to enjoy the time you have here, b/c you never know...I think about the songs I want at my funeral.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 6:22 am

Each time I listen to We Came To Dance the guitars on it seem to get better and better. It's not something I instantly picked up on but after 150/200 listens, its definately something I appreciate!
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 6:12 am

I've been listening to 'Cowgirls' lately, love that song. I haven't been feeling sad or depressed or anything, it's just a bad ass song.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 11:12 am

I can't choose. It constantly changes. They are all too good

probably Wooderson, We're Getting A Divorce, Say I Won't, 1930, Great Expectations, Film Noir
see I can't choose = P

the songs I like less are High Lonesome, Cowgirls, Meet Me By The Rivers Edge, but those songs are still fucking good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 2:55 pm

I've noticed Cowgirls seems very hit and miss. People either seem to really like it, or not like it quite so much as other Gaslight offerings- more so than the majority of their other songs.
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 10:40 am

I agree, Cowgirls was the only song off of 59 Sound that I didn't warm up to initially...now, however, it's grown on me as a good change of pace type song, so I don't mind it.
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 5:26 pm

I can't really pick a favorite, every time I listen to one of their songs I'm sure that's my favorite song. Five minutes later, I'm certain another one of their songs is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite TGA song and why?   Your favourite TGA song and why? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your favourite TGA song and why?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next