DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gaslight taking a hiatus

Go down 
+47
shredderrrrrr
ncl1968
pleasepassthesoup
Shrewsbury_Stars
TooMuchGaslight
bringiton
SashaV
njguy99
enola
DeathoftheCool
Coma Girl
biggs
cowgirlwiththeblues
Ashburtongeorge
riversedge
Harbortown
Thunder Peel
Fail
Debonair
mingus
aaydmc2
HighLonesome
bootime
flannel
SirBrad
turnitin2004
rumham
JimmyB
cdala
Jerseyrain
Holland
miked331
CapedAvenger
steady now steady now
eagles1139
Anya_TGA
rem999
brianpd
cmigs
mja271
jonnyz83
The_River
Jaws
Steve70s
Rose1991
bt211
StitchesOnTheRadio
51 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 7:22 am

Nothing TGA related but a great read that put some light on why bands needs a hiatus from time to time: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jun/25/musicians-touring-psychological-dangers-willis-earl-beal-kate-nash
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Rose1991 wrote:
Honestly though, if Brian thinks taking a break is good for OUR sake, with all due respect, it's a little misguided.
He doesn't necessarily mean the fans who are dedicated enough to spend time debating the band on a discussion forum, maybe just the guys who buy albums and see them live if they're within an hour.

I don't necessarily want them to take a break (whether that means literally a break, all doing their own thing, whatever), i want whatever's best for the band. I'd rather, for example, them take a hiatus then return with 3 killer albums, than push on without a break and hit a creative lull and split the band.

Anyway, if there's anything to this other than a throwaway comment made on a whim, i'm sure we'll soon see more questions put to him about it. Smile
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 12:50 am

It's a total passing comment and typical for pretty much any musician who's been on the road all year. Doesn't mean I don't think it can happen but how can anyone hold him to his word off something like that?

Remember this is the same guy who basically said 12 months ago they didn't want to look back and focus on the new songs and the new "sound". Then they basically ignored the new album two months after it came out and played a greatest hits tour basically.

I do see a Fallon solo and maybe a live album in between now and the next full band album but a lot can change over a few months time. 1 -2-3 years whatever it is will be great.

Last edited by miked331 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 5:09 am

miked331 wrote:
Remember this is the same guy who basically said 12 months ago they didn't want to look back and focus on the new songs and the new "sound". Then they basically ignored the new album two months after it came back and played a greatest hits tour basically.

Finally, someone to agree with.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 12:50 pm

I'm neither surprised or worried by this. If they do take a hiatus Brian is likely to make a solo album, or side project that will no doubt be awesome and hopefully do some solo gigs in UK. But then again we can't take anything he says too seriously, he often talks for the moment not the future and who wouldn't want a break after that much touring. The more disappointing thing he says is that the break is too find some fresh inspiration etc but he might use songs that were not included on Get Hurt. But should we take that seriously, probably not. Whatever the outcome I'm sure that musical awesomeness awaits.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 6:42 am

A 1-2 year break then hopefully they'll start writing a new one. Could be looking at 3 years before a new albums released but as Holland said, there will be some sort of solo venture in between. I mean surely Brian can't keep still for that long when new songs are coming to him.

Ive heard that Oasis' first 4 albums were all written pretty much before the first one was released. They put the best ones on Definitely Maybe, The next best ones on Morning Glory and then The Master Plan and Be Here Now after that, Not sure how true this is but my point is that you have all your life to write the first album or two and then a year to write the next ones and it can sometimes be a little forced/ rushed, especially when a major label are pressurising you towards a deadline and a particular sound. So in that case a 2-3 year gap between albums could produce not only a load more song ideas to choose from but ultimately a better collection of songs again, once they are narrowed down onto an album. Lets face it Get Hurt was decent but it didn't quite hit the heights that previous albums have in terms of songwriting and song quality. In my opinion anyway and perhaps it was a little rushed... That Brian supposedly has similar feelings about Get Hurt is telling. A good break will hopefully lead to better things for them and in turn, for us with a killer next album! Who knows, maybe a Greatest Hits or a live album will come out to tide us over anyway???
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 2:01 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
Ive heard that Oasis' first 4 albums were all written pretty much before the first one was released. They put the best ones on Definitely Maybe, The next best ones on Morning Glory and then The Master Plan and Be Here Now after that, Not sure how true this is...
There's not much truth to that at all, for many different reasons that i won't go into (unless you want me to Smile ).
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 2:52 pm

CapedAvenger wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:
Ive heard that Oasis' first 4 albums were all written pretty much before the first one was released. They put the best ones on Definitely Maybe, The next best ones on Morning Glory and then The Master Plan and Be Here Now after that, Not sure how true this is...
There's not much truth to that at all, for many different reasons that i won't go into (unless you want me to Smile ).

Go on - not much else to talk about!
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Steve70s wrote:
CapedAvenger wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:

Go on - not much else to talk about!
OK...

It's true that some Oasis songs were released long after they were first written. All Around The World off their third album Be Here Now was written before their first album Definitely Maybe was released, for example.

However it's not true that they'd written most of their first 4 albums before the first was released. Their first 4 studio albums were Definitely Maybe, (What's The Story) Morning Glory?, Be Here Now and Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants. The Masterplan isn't a studio album, but a compilation album of b-sides from the singles of their first three albums, released between their third and fourth albums.

The vast majority of Be Here Now (including its b-sides that ended up on The Masterplan) was written on Mustique, after they'd toured What's The Story. The bulk of What's The Story itself was written after Definitely Maybe was released, which is evident in some of its content (the title track came from a phone conversation whilst touring the US, Don't Look back In Anger was written while touring Definitely Maybe, etc.).

Yeah, i was a massive Oasis fan from about 1996 until they broke up. Smile
Back to top Go down
brianpd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 12:41 am

I've been listening to a lot of Oasis lately great band. However some really good points were made about how this is a typical comment for someone that's been touring for a long time. Let's take this with a grain of salt. Remember the Handwritten follow up was supposed to be produced by Brenden O'Brien. That's just an example of things that are said in an interview but turn out not to be the case. This could very well be the case with this hitatus thing.
Back to top Go down
http://secretofthesound.com
cdala
A Contender
A Contender
cdala

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Having a b-sides compilation album that was better than most stuff out at the time really said a lot about Oasis as a band. One of the few bands the b-sides were totally worth buying the singles for, no remixes or bullshit, just really good tunes.

On topic though, I hope TGA do get some rest and recharge and whatever, but do we know if they have any fall dates planned before they do that?
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 8:54 am

Mumford and sons did a similar thing- after their amazing albums "Sigh No More" and "Babel" they took about 3-4 years away from being a band in the sense of "recording an album, and touring it". They still played together and wrote new material, but it was at their " gentleman of the road" shows. I'm still indifferent about their new album, but a break is needed for bands. If nothing else, they're probably annoyed at each other- being in the same bus/plane/train/hotel/etc with the same people for months will create "irrational irritation" whichcan be solved by some times away.
Look how long it took Bruce to reuinte the E Street Band, and the reunion shows are some of the greatest they have ever played.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 8:16 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Mumford and sons did a similar thing- after their amazing albums "Sigh No More" and "Babel" they took about 3-4 years away from being a band in the sense of "recording an album, and touring it". They still played together and wrote new material, but it was at their " gentleman of the road" shows. I'm still indifferent about their new album, but a break is needed for bands. If nothing else, they're probably annoyed at each other- being in the same bus/plane/train/hotel/etc with the same people for months will create "irrational irritation" whichcan be solved by some times away.
 Look how long it took Bruce to reuinte the E Street Band, and the reunion shows are some of the greatest they have ever played.

Financially, it's probably in the bands best interest to get back together sooner rather than later. Complete speculation on my part but i doubt any of them including Brian can go more than a couple years without a real income source.
Back to top Go down
turnitin2004
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 8:50 pm

rumham wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

Financially, it's probably in the bands best interest to get back together sooner rather than later.   Complete speculation on my part but i doubt any of them including Brian can go more than a couple years without a real income source.

Dont you think theyve made enough they can take a break for awhile? Im not saying they are set for life or anything, but theyve had 4 pretty sucessful albums at this point. Shouldnt they have a pretty nice nest egg?
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 12:36 am

turnitin2004 wrote:
rumham wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

Financially, it's probably in the bands best interest to get back together sooner rather than later.   Complete speculation on my part but i doubt any of them including Brian can go more than a couple years without a real income source.

Dont you think theyve made enough they can take a break for awhile?  Im not saying they are set for life or anything, but theyve had 4 pretty sucessful albums at this point.  Shouldnt they have a pretty nice nest egg?

Without a doubt they have the money to take a break.  They've toured enough, created enough merchandise, and sold their music to video games, TV show/commercials, etc. that they can easily go a few years without a steady income.  Plus I'm sure they have an adviser to keep them within their means to finance a hiatus until they're ready to release their next album.  I'm just saying, they aren't Bruce Springsteen post BITUSA rich which would enable them to take as long of a break as they wanted.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 4:13 am

rumham wrote:
turnitin2004 wrote:
rumham wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

Dont you think theyve made enough they can take a break for awhile?  Im not saying they are set for life or anything, but theyve had 4 pretty sucessful albums at this point.  Shouldnt they have a pretty nice nest egg?

Without a doubt they have the money to take a break.  They've toured enough, created enough merchandise, and sold their music to video games, TV show/commercials, etc. that they can easily go a few years without a steady income.  Plus I'm sure they have an adviser to keep them within their means to finance a hiatus until they're ready to release their next album.  I'm just saying, they aren't Bruce Springsteen post BITUSA rich which would enable them to take as long of a break as they wanted.

I'm pretty sure they've actually toured way more than most bands do without a break of some kind. They might even need to take at least a small break so they don't oversaturate their market so to speak. It's a lot harder to sell out a big venue when you've been to the same area 4 times in the last year. So I think they'll be okay.

By the way, I think they intend to clarify exactly what they mean by "break" and for how long and clear up all that confusion. Brian acknowledged how confusing everything was with his words being translated from english to german and back to english. Good news is, when I asked him if they were thinking of a long break like 5 years he quickly said definitely not.
Back to top Go down
Rose1991
A Contender
A Contender
Rose1991

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 4:20 am

Thanks for the update, Shelby. Smile I didn't want to be particularly worried when I heard the words "break" and "hiatus", but I tend to be a bit of an anxiety case when it comes to my bands! Razz
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 12:05 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
rumham wrote:
turnitin2004 wrote:
rumham wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

I'm pretty sure they've actually toured way more than most bands do without a break of some kind. They might even need to take at least a small break so they don't oversaturate their market so to speak. It's a lot harder to sell out a big venue when you've been to the same area 4 times in the last year. So I think they'll be okay.

By the way, I think they intend to clarify exactly what they mean by "break" and for how long and clear up all that confusion. Brian acknowledged how confusing everything was with his words being translated from english to german and back to english. Good news is, when I asked him if they were thinking of a long break like 5 years he quickly said definitely not.

When did he say that? Conversation after a show? Just curious.

And also - don't forget that these guys all do other things that can generate some income during a hiatus. Brian's solo projects have included Ian and Alex R in the past; Alex L has a clothing line; Benny seems to be doing a ton of stuff. So it's not like their income would be zero, even if Gaslight is definitely the bigger money maker.
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 12:14 pm

I'm not even reading this but I really feel like the Gaslight Anthem expiration date is nearing.  I don't know what their current contract calls for however.  Who knows, they might be dumped before they even get a chance to fulfill it which probably seems like a good bet.

I hope I am wrong though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 1:02 pm

yes, the stuff Shelby/Stitches said he said after the show on Tuesday.

re: contracts, they/Brian still have two albums on Mercury/Island. I don't know why they'd be dumped? I don't get the impression that they have poor record sales. And truly, I think most of their issues don't stem from them as a band but their management, though I'm not sure if that is relevant to a record company.

also, I don't at all get the impression that these guys have enough money to skate by doing completely nothing. There was a reason those preshow packages had insane prices last year. But remember, Levine has Tiger Cuts and idk if he gets paid for guesting on wrestling stuff, and Rosamilia has done soundtrack work and has his new side project, and Benny has Bottomfeeder and can probably dabble in the sports guesting if he wants, and Ian has Local Summer... it's not like any of them are just going to be sitting on their asses for a year or two until Gaslight does more stuff.
Back to top Go down
bootime
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Hoping one of those two label-mandated albums is a live album...be a shame not release one this time around....
Back to top Go down
Rose1991
A Contender
A Contender
Rose1991

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 2:55 pm

If every band broke up over poor record sales, we wouldn't have any bands left. Except for like, Taylor Swift and shit, because if you pirate her music, she'll come to your house at night and kill you.

But seriously though, I think records sales at this point are pretty irrelevant, since there's absolutely no money in them. If you ask any artist, they'll tell you that the money comes from playing live. I think the fact that entirety of the Get Hurt deluxe edition was put up on their Vevo page the day it came out is pretty telling of where their priorities are money-making-wise.
Back to top Go down
HighLonesome
A Contender
A Contender
HighLonesome

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2015 3:57 pm

I believe that this has been mentioned, but on Tuesday I went to the Huntington, NY show. I got a chance to briefly meet Brian afterwards and, of course with me wanting to indulge in more Gaslight shows, I asked if they would be coming over to the west coast anytime soon because I was out from California (I haven't been on the forum lately so I hadn't seen this update -- oops). He said no, that the band was gonna go home for a bit and take a break, but that he was gonna be out doing some stuff on his own.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2015 7:15 pm

alright thanks for the information... if he is doing something.. I hope he will also do a European tour Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 7:15 am

Rose1991 wrote:
Except for like, Taylor Swift and shit, because if you pirate her music, she'll come to your house at night and kill you.

I'm totally into having Taylor Swift coming at my house, no matter what.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaslight taking a hiatus
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next