DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hiatus?

Go down 
+11
The Boxer
JimmyB
IKeeptheDiner
I am Incinerator
riversedge
TGAFAN25
rumham
plugga
Holland
Harbortown
Debonair
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Thought I'd get a new topic going since things are starting to quite down a bit since the release of Elsie and prob won't pick back up till they start recording

So I was driving and the thought came to me that gaslight has been going pretty much none stop since sink or swim. Also they have all recently have had new things coming their way. Alex L got married, Brian's got t.h.c. with Ian, Benny has Spiro Agnew and that other band he just started. And Alex R. Has Spiro Agnew as well.

Now as much as I love gaslight and wished they could tour and put out material everyday, I'm aware their human and have other things in their lives also, not only gaslight.

So do you think a hiatus is possible down the road, maybe after this next album and tour,

Just some thoughtish facts that I know of from other bands

Both the red hot chili peppers and Rancid has similar instances, where they were touring none stop and putting out material, and they just needed time for their own lives and projects

You probably know of your own artist that this happened to, these are the two that stuck out for me.

And note I'm not comparing gaslight to rhcp, or rancid, at all! Just trying to state this happens to other artists

---------------------------------------------

Now for my opinion, (obviously) I think its possible especially because they all have side projects that need to get attention at some point
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:20 pm

Nah, I can't see a hiatus anytime soon. It hasn't really been THAT long since their last tour ended, and now they're working on their new album.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:24 pm

I believe their tour just ended maybe a month ago, and basically if you think about it, their relatively heading right to recording the next album(number 4) and then pretty much starting another tour. That's alot of stuff, and especially doing that for four or five years straight, when do you have time for other stuff. Not saying soon like right now next week or next month, but maybe in a year or two

Respect your opinion though

Edit: also Brian's most recent blog talked about how it yes tough leaving for tour because when you have a house, dog and stuff you just want to stay after being away for so long, not like years ago before he had that stuff (paraphraseing) to be fair he did say he likes to tour as well

Last edited by Debonair on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:30 pm

I can't see them going into a Hiatus anytime soon or take a long (year) break...they need to keep the momentum going.
also TGA is their job and assuming their own source of income. They aren't rich like RHCP or Rancid yet to be able to afford to take a year or two off.

also I feel like the term Hiatus has a bad connotation to it when it comes to music.

Last edited by oldgospelchoir on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:30 pm

I think Gaslight are quite a unique band in that they arrived at fame/success at a later age than the average band so i am pretty sure there will be no hiatus as they want to make the most of it while they are popular.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:36 pm

Quote :
also I feel like the term Hiatus has a bad connotation to it when it comes to music.

Completely agree, debated about calling it that, but it is an attention grabber. Just wouldn't know what to call it, I guess break, but feels kind of weak. And true that they need money and can't take a year of but, that's why I was saying side projects and stuff so they would still be making money. Not a year just done with music

And I just like to have discussions/ debates just getting opinions and views of others, can't be self centered all the time
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:44 pm

like some of you said, I don't think they can "afford" it yet, musically and economically speaking, this is going to be the album with the highest expectations so going on a hiatus now would be just pointless.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:45 pm

For the other members, are their other bands bigger than the gaslight anthem?

In one of the interviews he gave, Brian said he would be making probably more money as a carpenter and they stay on tour to simply support themselves. So in that regards I don't think they'll give it up for obvious financial reasons, plus this is their chance to make it big. I think if the next 2 albums aren't huge break throughs then they may consider other projects but for now at least, i doubt they'll be going anywhere anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Completely get what people are saying, just looking to hear some opinions, that's the great thing about a forum, it can be just like a bunch of people just sitting back, listening to a band together, and ask those questions. Sometimes you may disagree, some times you may yell, but in the end its fans discussing the music they love
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Brian did recently say that they're finally starting to make it financially...

I think with a career such as that of a musician where your livelihood is based entirely on how popular and relevant you are, it would be financial suicide for them to take a break.

They've got to strike while the iron is hot, because in 10 years, chances are they won't be able to play to the same size crowds as they can now, UNLESS (and my god I hope this happens) they become a HUGE band with mass-popularity staying power....

I hope they make as much as they can while they can!
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 5:11 pm

I think it would be quite detrimental to go on hiatus now... Quite soon
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Just to clear up I didn't mean now, I said in the next few years
Back to top Go down
I am Incinerator
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 6:02 pm

There have been a few bands that have had a successful row then kind of just faded off (back) into obscurity. The Ataris come to mind. I think the time between So Long Astoria and Welcome the Night was too long and by the time it came about they were a completely different band musically and member wise...might as well have been the Kris Roe show. I remember going to a show just after Welcome the Night came out, and seriously, like 20 people. A few months later Roe did a solo acoustic show of Blue Skies, Broken Hearts, and I think it was just my wife, sis-in-law, a few buddies, and myself there. I guess promotion was partially to blame? Then again I wasn't even looking out for anything...I just heard it from word of mouth.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 6:16 pm

I am Incinerator wrote:
There have been a few bands that have had a successful row then kind of just faded off (back) into obscurity. The Ataris come to mind. I think the time between So Long Astoria and Welcome the Night was too long and by the time it came about they were a completely different band musically and member wise...might as well have been the Kris Roe show. I remember going to a show just after Welcome the Night came out, and seriously, like 20 people. A few months later Roe did a solo acoustic show of Blue Skies, Broken Hearts, and I think it was just my wife, sis-in-law, a few buddies, and myself there. I guess promotion was partially to blame? Then again I wasn't even looking out for anything...I just heard it from word of mouth.

Well the Ataris are a strange instance. The backing band is different every few years, hell, i know some people that were in the Ataris at one point hahaha. (Im not kidding btw)
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Don't forget Springsteen to a hiatus with the E street band..which resulted in Tom Joad and Greatest hits, but it always produced his two weakest CD's (Human Touch and Lucky town). So a Hiatus can have a positive, and a negative. But back on topic, I DO NOT see them going hiatus any time soon. People always regard the 10 years without the E street Band as Springsteen's "Lost Decade". So I honestly hope that Brian, Alex, Benny, and Alex do not go into a hiatus.
Back to top Go down
I am Incinerator
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 pm

IKeeptheDiner wrote:
I am Incinerator wrote:

Well the Ataris are a strange instance. The backing band is different every few years, hell, i know some people that were in the Ataris at one point hahaha. (Im not kidding btw)

That's pretty funny! I just thought it was weird, because they had atleast the same Rhythm section for a couple years and changed up the other guitarist just pretty much every album. Then they come back and it looked like atleast a half dozen people on stage and the only recognizable member was Kris Roe, why even bother keeping the Ataris name. Same thing with Saves The Day. I mean it's just Chris Conley playing with random people it seems, but for a while there he was giving the guys from Glassjaw a gig while they were on break
Back to top Go down
The Boxer
A Contender
A Contender

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 7:16 pm

I can see them maybe taking a year off. If the new album is in 2012, tour ending in 2013, its not impossible that they don't release anything till late '14 early '15. I hope not

Or did you mean a bigger hiatus?
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 7:20 pm

No like something small, a year or so for them to rest and do other stuff, a least that's my opinion. Someone else might think of a larger one
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Even if they would, and I don't think so, Brian will always write and record new music.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 3:11 pm

I think they're enjoying making music too much ATM!
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Quote :
Brian will always write and record new music.

Exactly, I mainly ment for them to look at their other projects and stuff. I mean Benny alone is in two other bands, so being in a third band thats either touring or writing 95% of the time. When does he have time for those other two. The month that Brian is on the revival tour? That's not nearly enough time, let alone for one band, but two. And also he's on vacation right now according to his blog which I don't blame him, he just basically got off touring with gaslight.

That's why I was thinking after these next two years(new album+touring) you might see them hit the breaks for maybe a year(play a couple of on and off shows but nothing crazy) so they could look at their other projects. Then come back after that slow year with a new record and tour
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Matilda Noir

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 pm

hi,

I don't think a hiatus is likely anytime soon ever since I read this comment by Brian online Smile (last paragraph)

With tour dates slated for the Horrible Crowes, which Fallon promises will be a "big ol' production" and another Gaslight Anthem album in the works, he shows no signs of slowing down, or wanting to for that matter. "Hopefully I won't be taking a break anytime soon," he laughs. "As long as it comes out I'll be doing it".

Yay! Hopefully that's not just wishful thinking on my part Razz

I can't post a link (too new a member). It's on blurt-online.com
Back to top Go down
luckysparks
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
luckysparks

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Here's the link. I think he was possibly talking about the revival tour when he spoke about dates for the Crowes?

http://blurt-online.com/features/view/971
Back to top Go down
Pel.71
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Pel.71

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 5:58 pm

got to argue with jimmy b , springsteens human touch and lucky town are not weak albums .. like gaslight the boss does not release weak albums.. give them another listen jimmy ..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hiatus? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus?   Hiatus? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiatus?
Page 1 of 1