DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gaslight taking a hiatus

Go down 
+47
shredderrrrrr
ncl1968
pleasepassthesoup
Shrewsbury_Stars
TooMuchGaslight
bringiton
SashaV
njguy99
enola
DeathoftheCool
Coma Girl
biggs
cowgirlwiththeblues
Ashburtongeorge
riversedge
Harbortown
Thunder Peel
Fail
Debonair
mingus
aaydmc2
HighLonesome
bootime
flannel
SirBrad
turnitin2004
rumham
JimmyB
cdala
Jerseyrain
Holland
miked331
CapedAvenger
steady now steady now
eagles1139
Anya_TGA
rem999
brianpd
cmigs
mja271
jonnyz83
The_River
Jaws
Steve70s
Rose1991
bt211
StitchesOnTheRadio
51 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 2:32 pm

I disagree. There could be a myriad of reasons why they can't officially breakup just yet. My gut feeling is that it's over Sad

(i) No I don't think the band would ever be intentionally dishonest but it is a big business after all and for contractual reasons they're probably obliged to word things in a certain way for official statements and press interviews. A hiatus sounds better than a final breakup, especially if they're still under contract and have any legal issues to settle.  When casually talking with a fan there's no way they would cause panic or put anything at risk, so of course they'll just fall back on a standard answer and give the fan what they want to hear. It's the easy way out and there's no way they'd inform somebody off the street of their true professional intentions.

(ii) Everybody knows Gaslight's intentions - through their statement we know that they have nothing else left to say as a band. Normally after a tour they tell us they've been working on new songs and what the rough schedule is for the next chapter. This time they 'feel the best decision' is to 'step away from the band' for an unknown amount of time. They're telling us officially through the right channels and in a legal way, that they're going away and they don't know when they'll be back. We've been told that the various members will remain active through music and other mediums.

Putting absolutely everything together, my opinion and gut instinct is that Gaslight are gone for quite some time and possibly finished. That's why they've announced this 'step away' from the band officially - nothing else is planned for Gaslight, there's no intention for future material unless there's something to be 'excited' about and of course they don't know when that will be, if ever.

Most folk here seem to be burying their head in the sand and think it will be business as usual in 2-3 years - but why make a statement regarding the 'step away' if this was a possibility in the near future?

(iii) Patience has nothing to do with it for me Wink I have loads of good memories and plenty of great Gaslight songs to keep me going and I'm intrigued to see what Brian especially does next. Smile
Back to top Go down
TooMuchGaslight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
TooMuchGaslight

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Danny on twitter:

Danny ‏@DannyDelDonuts 30 aug.
Sorry, once again to clarify, it's not goodbye its "see ya later" 😉
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 4:31 pm

Yeah, but right before that he stated that it was the 'end of an era' Wink Nice cover up lol To me it sounds like a term lots of people use when they can't let go of something. It's comforting to believe that it's still left open.

Either way, let's look at this 'end of an era'. Plenty of other folk connected with the band have been using social media and talking about this with a sense of finality too.

2007 - Sink or Swim
2008 - Señor and the Queen & The '59 Sound
2010 - American Slang
2012 - Handwritten
2014 - Get Hurt

So along with plenty of touring, the average has been 2 years between releases. We're told by somebody close to the band that this 'era' is over. So it's going to be at least 3 years before we hear anything from Gaslight as a band. Probably more than 3 years too otherwise a statement wouldn't be needed as it would be seen as pretty much business as usual. This is why I think it's going to be at least 5-10 years (not including a 'Best Of' release at some point to perhaps fulfil a contractual agreement?)

Sorry to keep coming across as negative but the music world is littered with bands who go on an indefinite hiatus only never to return. Yes, some do but a lot can happen in the next few years - Alex L has other business ventures outside of music and Brian as always dabbled in various side projects and has vast potential as a solo act. It truly is the end of an era and nobody, not even the band, can say for definite that Gaslight will return. It may not even be a necessity for the various members if they go onto more successful or fulfilling ventures. That's all I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 4:50 pm

Vader wrote:
Yeah, but right before that he stated that it was the 'end of an era' Wink Nice cover up lol .

I think you are over-analyzing. Time will tell but in the meantime, I'm taking the band's own statements at face value.
Back to top Go down
ncl1968
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Bruce broke away from the e street band for years ..just saying
Back to top Go down
http://www.nigellawry.weebly.com
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 5:48 pm

ncl1968 wrote:
Bruce broke away from the e street band for years ..just saying

Yeah, and at the time, it was called a break-up.
Back to top Go down
Fail
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Fail

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 7:11 pm

I think people are over-analysing. Understandably, but still. Bands break-up all the time and then reform a few years later. Others take a hiatus and never reform. There's no one fixed answer or word that covers all situations.

As I said before, the most important thing is that the band are happy with what they are doing going forwards. Everything else we'll wait and see. Smile
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 7:24 pm

my opinion is that they are just taking a break and after a few years they will be back...in the meantime they will do some side projects and so on...and after that they will do a further Gaslight album...I am pretty sure that this is not the end...it is just a break for a few years...so I would say...let's calm down and be excited for their side projects Wink
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 10:05 am

Once again. Look how long it took the Eagles to reform..... Foo fighters, Mumford and Sons, Tom Petty had the Traveling Wilburys,etc

Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 7:08 pm

For whatever it's worth, I think virtually every band I have enjoyed that I have seen "break-up" has done so by saying they are taking an "indefinite hiatus." I can't think of a single band I was into growing up that has ended and announced they were "done." It is almost always some variation of an "indefinite hiatus" where the band wants to "take some time" and "explore new creative opportunities."

This may well might not be the case with Gaslight (I certainly hope not), but I don't put much weight into references of it only being a "break." To me, that's just trying to leave doors open and not burn any bridges unnecessarily. So I'm not holding my breath. That way, I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong!
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 7:18 pm

I think most people (myself included) just overreacted... again...the same happened when they announced the hiatus.... their last shows before the hiatus are over and so most people (myself included) can not deal with the fact that we will not see them live again for a few years...

it is really hard to realize it because they were always present until now...

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 4:30 am

Okay...

First. Let's all take a deep breath. Ready? *breathe* Smile

Second, I (with love and affection) wanna knock some of you on the head with one of those blow up bats you see at baseball games and carnivals Frying Pan

Seriously guys, everyone take a step back for a minute. Think about the amount of analysis some of us are putting into words spoken by OTHER bands throughout history and more importantly, the press! Seriously, the press? It is their job to get you to read what they write. Somehow "TGA is taking a couple extra years before putting out next album" doesn't incite the fear and uncertainty (aka entertainment) that "TGA goes on indefinite hiatus" does.

Also, technically, they never used the words "indefinite hiatus" in their statement and I think there's a reason for that. They're not trying to scare the crap out of us! So ignore media interpretation and focus on the bands actual words if you need to analyze something.

Third (or wherever I am in my list of points) I don't believe for a second that they'd EVER go along with some bullshit contract that would tell them they have to keep quiet about a break up? Is that even a thing? It's not like keeping quiet about an album. Who does it serve?

Fourth, I don’t know Brian’s quirks or tells when he lies and my ability to read even my best friends at times can be spotty, but I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he meant every word he said when my friends and I asked him about this whole thing. And when I asked specifically, “are we talking 5 years or-” before I could finish my thought he shook his head and said something to the affect of “absolutely not” with such conviction it was like I asked if I could take away all his guitars. They just don't wanna put out some rushed garbage in order to keep this pattern going every 2 years which will inevitably burn them out. I believe they take this band very seriously (even with all the fun) and are doing their best to nurture it not kill it. At the moment that means allowing some breathing room.

That said, we can’t predict the future. Things can always change and there’s nothing wrong with having concerns about that. Believe me, I do too! But I don’t believe for a second that they CURRENTLY have any intention of this being the end of gaslight. And while it’s one thing to be concerned about them changing their minds, I think it's insulting to suggest that they wouldn’t have the guts or integrity to declare right now that it was the end if they truly thought it was, or at least not vehemently deny it if they considered it a high possibility.

So please, breathe. Use this time to discover some new bands to add to you repertoire, and patiently wait for/explore all the cool side projects/solo albums that could come from this time off!
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 10:12 am

^^^

Shelby, the glaring weakness of your analysis is that it relies on reason, logic, and common sense.

If Gaslight is not, in fact, breaking up, how do you account for the fact that my 4th grade girlfriend still hasn't called me back after saying she just needed a little space? It's been 26 years.
Back to top Go down
ncl1968
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Ahhhh a little space. ..maybe if you read between the lines shrewsbury you would find she just wanted to be an astronaut..now 26yrs is about right for NASA training ....hold in there son! !!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nigellawry.weebly.com
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Just to clarify, I don't mean to suggest that Gaslight currently knows they are breaking up for good and just don't want to tell us. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they eventually decide not to reform the band regardless of their present state of mind. They may well fully intend, as of the date of this announcement, to continue the band one day but not end up doing so (whether it be because of the allure of other projects, the desire to live a normal life, lack of inspiration, etc.).

Some bands use time off as a way to recharge their batteries (like the Hold Steady did). Some bands/band members, however, see the appeal of setting down roots and starting a life in one place (and or feel creatively drained, more or less) during the time off. In both situations, the band is likely to have referred to it as a "break" rather than a "break-up." That's all I'm saying. How I see it, Gaslight plans to carry on at some point in the future, so long as the inspiration to do so strikes them. Such an inspiration might not happen though. A lot can happen over a few years.

With that said, this is again just my opinion and interpretation. You guys likely have a much better grasp on the situation than me. I was just trying to add my two cents into the conversation of people trying to pinpoint a date of return. I always like the approach of expecting nothing--that way, while it may be sadder now, anything at all will be a huge surprise (as opposed to expecting something then later being disappointed again if it doesn't happen).
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 9:57 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Just to clarify, I don't mean to suggest that Gaslight currently knows they are breaking up for good and just don't want to tell us. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they eventually decide not to reform the band regardless of their present state of mind. They may well fully intend, as of the date of this announcement, to continue the band one day but not end up doing so (whether it be because of the allure of other projects, the desire to live a normal life, lack of inspiration, etc.).

Some bands use time off as a way to recharge their batteries (like the Hold Steady did). Some bands/band members, however, see the appeal of setting down roots and starting a life in one place (and or feel creatively drained, more or less) during the time off. In both situations, the band is likely to have referred to it as a "break" rather than a "break-up." That's all I'm saying. How I see it, Gaslight plans to carry on at some point in the future, so long as the inspiration to do so strikes them. Such an inspiration might not happen though. A lot can happen over a few years.

With that said, this is again just my opinion and interpretation. You guys likely have a much better grasp on the situation than me. I was just trying to add my two cents into the conversation of people trying to pinpoint a date of return. I always like the approach of expecting nothing--that way, while it may be sadder now, anything at all will be a huge surprise (as opposed to expecting something then later being disappointed again if it doesn't happen).

Nah, I know you weren't. I read back through like the last 3 pages of this thing last night and someone had that impression and I thought it was a little odd just because I think that'd be very out of character for the guys. And I agree, which is why I put that kind of "who knows" part at the end. I just think they actively intend to pick it back up again in a couple years not "well maybe, we'll see" more like "yeah, I think once we've taken a breather we'll have some ideas". But yes, that can of course change. And if you think about it, it's not unusual for a band that's been putting out an album every 2 years with the occasional EP in the middle to after a while slow down the pace a bit. I mean, out of artists that have lasted more than 10, 15, 20+ years, who can you think of that's perfectly kept up with the 1 album every 2 years pattern?
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 10:13 am

http://thebrianfallon.tumblr.com/

Well, this about sums it up… Good guys, amazing fans, guitars, and and a lot of sweat. I can’t believe it’s been 9 years… Did I mention we played with Bruce Springsteen? BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN!!!!!! Unreal.
Four kids from New Jersey grew up in a van and then got to play with the biggest and best musician from our humble state. We played with so many great bands…Too many to list.
What a ride.
Thanks to everyone who helped along the way, and we’ll see you, as my friend says… Further up the road.
“Got on my dead man’s boots
and smiley skull ring.
Graveyard boots and a song to sing.
A song to sing to keep me outta the cold.
I’ll meet you further on up the road.”
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 11:22 am

That post from Brian makes me think it's really over (for now, at least). Not that they'll never get back together, but that this is not a "see you in a year or two."
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Brian replied the following to someone on twitter who asks if we will see Gaslight again:

don't worry!!! that's why it says "further up the road" not "never up the road." #justabreak #notabreakup
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 5:33 am

Watching the Reading set again, I thought Brian looked reply emotional during the second verse of Drive... I guess those lyrics are pretty poignant now. But that and also how much he seemed to be enjoying it made me think it won't be forever.
Back to top Go down
pwm112
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 9:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyJoaMRlVQc

I mean - I hate to read into things too much - but watch 42:00 - 42:20 - "I'm famous now for all these rock and roll songs." Good lord does that look sad. I saw it and for the first time I realized, yep, this is probably gonna be a while.

Last 3 times I saw them were 3 of my top 5 gaslight shows. Watching this confirmed it for me, They are at the height of their powers IMO. Cannot believe they are stepping away.

Back to top Go down
turnitin2004
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 12:47 pm

One thing I haven't seen brought up before, though I assume it would be, cause I doubt im the first to think of this...if they were really breaking up for good, or thought they were anyway, isn't their last show gonna be in jersey? I mean Jersey is such an important part of them, I cant imagine their last ever show would be a festival across the pond...no offense to those people. I would think theyd say goodbye at the stone pony or asbury park convention hall or somewhere in jersey. Theyd say goodbye to the fans right I think. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 8:16 pm

pwm112 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyJoaMRlVQc

Wow. That was spectacularly good.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 12:53 pm

ADMIN POST

Hey redheadchick, Barresi, cowgirlwiththeblues,Steve70s, and Anya_TGA,

I hate to be that person but can you guys please edit this piece of information out of your posts or delete them (you know what info I'm talking about). Nothing has been announced and this was supposed to be kept on the "lowdown" or whatever so let's respect that please. If you (or anyone else) have any questions as to why, please feel free to PM me. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Steve70s wrote:
Butch did Frank's latest record so there is something there - hopefully Ryan Adams gets involved too!

Man that would be great! Butch Walker working with Brian Fallon is almost too much to bear, I can only imagine the results! I'm so excited to hear what Brian comes up with next that the pain of the hiatus and uncertain future of Gaslight is beginning to diminish! Also my friends just told me that they talked to Brian back in July and he said about a possible solo record in January!

Yeah, we maybe need a new thread for this now!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight taking a hiatus   Gaslight taking a hiatus - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaslight taking a hiatus
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next