DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Vanderlyle Geek
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Vanderlyle Geek

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:54 am

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:
This album really does seem to split people...can't wait to hear it!

Would people say on the whole its lyrically a step up from Handwritten as that was the main factor that I didn't like on that album?

you will always be a soft spot in my cardiac arrest
Love that line

Last edited by Vanderlyle Geek on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bradleyjp
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
bradleyjp

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:54 am

Yeah, this isn't an album I'm going to go back to repeatedly.
Back to top Go down
http://bradleyjp.me
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:56 am

33RPMHero wrote:

Would people say on the whole its lyrically a step up from Handwritten as that was the main factor that I didn't like on that album?

The album, in my opinion, is for sure a step up from Handwritten with the lyrics.  I think these are some of the best lyrics he has written.  

Yeah I'm just reading through some of them now after seeing the separate threads for each song...and I agree with you, definitely looking so much stronger.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:58 am

The lyrics are pretty damn good, but to me the melodies aren't as strong as past records overall
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 pm

33RPMHero wrote:

The album, in my opinion, is for sure a step up from Handwritten with the lyrics.  I think these are some of the best lyrics he has written.  

Yeah I'm just reading through some of them now after seeing the separate threads for each song...and I agree with you, definitely looking so much stronger.

Underneath the Ground has some killer lyrics. The song is awesome.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:02 pm

This album isn't just splitting the fanbase, it's splitting my mind apart! Great at times, cringeworthy at times, brave at times, samey at times...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:04 pm

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
This album isn't just splitting the fanbase, it's splitting my mind apart! Great at times, cringeworthy at times, brave at times, samey at times...

lol This is pretty spot on for me
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:14 pm

One of the guys on that Absolute Punk podcast said he'd take off the last 2 tracks from this album if he could redo the track list. I'm sorry but suggesting getting rid of Dark Places is absolutely moronic imo
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:17 pm

Are there any uptempo/upbeat songs? I know the record sounds as though it will be pretty dark lyrically but musically are there lighter moments?
Back to top Go down
Vanderlyle Geek
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Vanderlyle Geek

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:18 pm

Christophe wrote:
Are there any uptempo/upbeat songs? I know the record sounds as though it will be pretty dark lyrically but musically are there lighter moments?

yeah definitly, i'd say that apart from a few most tracks are actually quite upbeat
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:20 pm

In terms of actual pace, most of it is in that midtempo range, but yea it's not like the record is a downer from a musical standpoint
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:25 pm

That's good news. I can't wait to hear this album. I know it is exactly what I need in my life right now.
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:31 pm

How 's Break Your Heart? The descriptions I've read vary from cheesy to beautiful. Is it a bit like this album's National Anthem / Here's Looking At You, Kid / We Did It When We Were Young; or am I taking it too far?
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:32 pm

mja271 wrote:
One of the guys on that Absolute Punk podcast said he'd take off the last 2 tracks from this album if he could redo the track list.  I'm sorry but suggesting getting rid of Dark Places is absolutely moronic imo

Well the mans a fool 'cos I would have Dark Places as the next single!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:35 pm

mingus wrote:
How 's Break Your Heart? The descriptions I've read vary from cheesy to beautiful. Is it a bit like this album's National Anthem / Here's Looking At You, Kid / We Did It When We Were Young; or am I taking it too far?

I'd say way closer to National Anthem than the other two personally. As far as cheesy vs. beautiful, that'll be up for you to decide  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:39 pm

Now that the album is streaming don't forget to submit your questions for the Q&A with Brian!

Deadline is August 19th.
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t5536-august-2014-new-qa-with-brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
NotLikeWeBleed
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:51 pm

Can you only listen to it once?
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:53 pm

NotLikeWeBleed wrote:
Can you only listen to it once?

No. I am on my fifth listen now. Smile
Back to top Go down
NotLikeWeBleed
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:57 pm

I'm on Red Violins currently, but i just wanna say 1,000 years is fucking great
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:14 pm

This record really reminds me of Exile on Main St for some reason. Mama's Boys is totally Sweet Virginia.
Back to top Go down
NotLikeWeBleed
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:20 pm

You guys think the stream will still be up tonight?
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:22 pm

Red Violins as the new set opener?
Back to top Go down
The_M23
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:23 pm

It's slightly unfortunate that the bonus tracks aren't part of the album proper. I think if you'd scattered those throughout, the album would be better for it. Guess I'll just pretend they're part of the album, same as I do with "She Loves You" on American Slang and "Blue Dahlia" on Handwritten. The whole idea of "bonus tracks" is just a stupid money thing, anyway.

I need more listens to really figure out where I'd place this album. Some of the songs feel a little frustratingly incomplete, like they were going to bring the melody into hyperdrive and it just never happened. I don't think there's any song that I actively dislike, though. Just that I would actively love more of them if they just stayed on longer and developed more. Great example of this is "1,000 Years." Awesome chorus, and starts to move to a different place at the end and then it NEXT TRACK. I didn't want the next track! I wanted to stay there! I'm generally against the trend of artists dragging albums out, as we end up with a lot of filler and songs that simply shouldn't be as long as they are, but here we have a case of an album that deserves to be longer. Counting the bonus tracks, we have sixteen songs, and the album clocks in at only 55 minutes. That's weird.

I don't want to come off like I don't like the album, though. I think there's some interesting things going on. There's a sort of restrained melancholy of contentment going on under the surface that I really like. We've never seen it from Fallon before. We get lean on me and soft spots in heart attacks and things are changing--changing not for better or worse, just changing. I think that's absolutely a good progression for his songwriting. Fallon drops a little of the "life is crushing me" bluster. He talked about how the album was this new direction and really weird and all that, but the biggest change comes in this slight shift of mood and tone.

EDIT: Needed to change one word in order to truly paint a portrait of my feelings regarding this album.

Last edited by The_M23 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:26 pm

To be honest 1,000 years and underneath the ground sound a lot like they'd fit on third eye blinds self-titled debut... That's an amazing album and I love that gaslight has taken on a whole new sound but not sounded like they're trying to rip something else off (I felt like handwritten the album seemed forced) this feels natural to me. Like it's a natural progression.

Have never wanted to take a sick day from work more than I do now, wanting to delve deeper into this and start unpacking the layers of the songs
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Well now, I gotta say that I love this. My initial listen with my dad was sort of mixed because I noticed he didn't seem to be digging it too much and it sort of influenced my mood, but after 3 more listens this is so diverse and fun.

1,000 Years is super super good and Break Your Heart can be cheesy but I personally think it's so beautiful. I feel like Break Your Heart is supposed to be cheesy and pathetic coming from the protagonist that it becomes sad. I love it.

And damn guys, Red Violins is fucking righteous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 4 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next