DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21
AuthorMessage
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 5:05 am

A lot of cheap record players don't play precisely the correct speed. Don't have the vinyl of "Get Hurt" to compare, though.
Back to top Go down
BossTime
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
BossTime

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 11:18 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:
BossTime wrote:
I don't recall seeing this discussed but I got the vinyl for Christmas and I noticed that the songs are all a slower speed than the cd pressing. It's as if the cd pitch is slightly bumped up and I can hear it in Brian's vocal. The record sounds way more like 'Brian' than the cd to me. Anyone else notice this difference?

Interesting. Would you say the iTunes version is closer to the vinyl or CD version?

I don't have the iTunes version so I'm not sure. The difference is pretty noticeable though and I have a pretty advanced record player so I doubt that's causing it. I'd always wondered why on the cd Brian's vocal sounded raised, kind of like bruce in hungry heart. The vinyl sounds more the way they play the songs live and really breathes a lot of life into the songs for me. I can hear that extra bit of emotion in Brian's voice as well as the little ambient notes in the background.
Back to top Go down
BossTime
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
BossTime

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 11:25 am

Just found the difference! My two year old daughter found daddy's record player last week and evidently toyed with some of the pitch and speed levels....I stand by my original post though, slow down Get Hurt by a hair and it sounds out of this world better!!
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2015 6:42 pm

A year on and Have Mercy still hits me as hard as the first day I heard it. Some songs stay with you forever and this is definitely one of those songs. I can't remember another song hitting me so deeply as this one.

Some songs are so heartbreaking to listen to but yet we also need them.

I was at the lowest point in my life last year when I heard this song and it still gives me goosebumps now every time I hear it.

It is an incredible opener live too.
Back to top Go down
pwm112
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 9:36 am

I love the Get Hurt album, especially if you throw in the b-sides. But any and all discussions of this album have to include that on the last full US show in Lancaster PA, on the Get Hurt tour, not one song was played from the main album. Has a band ever dumped the whole album on the tour for that album before?
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 10:18 am

Rollin' & Tumblin' come on. Such a good song and riff.
Back to top Go down
pwm112
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 10:41 am

You don't have to tell me - IMO Rollin & Tumblin, Dark Places, and some combo of 1000 years, red violins, and Aint that a shame should be in most shows. With some of the rest sprinkled in for good measure.

If I had to pick 15 songs for gaslight to play at a show based on rarity and quality Dark Places and R&T would make the list, and I saw them like 7 times on the Get Hurt tour. Weird.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm so glad I got to see Dark Places even once. Seemed like it was going to be the perfect closer, and they just ditched it.

Has anyone ever asked Brian about them dropping these songs? The most obvious explanation would be that these songs were perhaps too dark for him to return to every night, but I'd like to hear his take on it.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 10:47 am

I just never get tired of this record, and I surprise myself getting back to it really often. More often than any other TGA record.

It's very honest and straight forward. Really different in so many ways. The fact that it's played in standard tuning, is really a thing too for me.

I think Brian really stepped up is game on Handwritten, but Get Hurt is really a complex record in so many ways. Some structures in some songs, it's like a roller-coaster, sometimes it's very dark, and then it flips to something more detached. Rollin' And Tumblin' or Stay Vicious are really in that vein. Like the verses are so heavy and full of angst , and then the chorus flips it into something more melodic, but yet so detached and sassy. It's like "I hate you so much, I'm so mad", and it transition into "I don't care anyway, I'm so detached and above that...". And I think Brian never did something like that before, like having multiple feelings flipping through one song.

Rollin' And Tumblin' is pretty easy to play, but the song structure and the lyrics, that's really something you probably have to work or think about before it comes out. I wonder if it came out straight or if he wrote this over and over again, but to me it sounds like these have been written to the track instead of just coming out of his mouth with the guitar.
Back to top Go down
Roe
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 3:44 pm

I really enjoy this record and still give it a regular spin. Maybe it's because I'm newer to the band as my first introduction was around the release of Handwritten, but I thought it was a very solid album. There's lots of things that are done throughout the disc that are outside their normal wheelhouse and things that they tried which I thought added to the songs. Not just different effects, that was cool too though.

I love the background vocals for the title track and how they vary from being before, after, or at the same time as Brian's.

Rollin' and Tumblin' from the "Should I take everything" line until the end is great. The whole song I like but the outro seems like something I haven't heard them try before and I think they nailed it.

The bass lines really shine in some of the songs on this album as well. This is something I was hoping for after the bass line in Mae and while I would have liked more or for it not to be buried under the distorted guitars in places, I think this was a step forward creatively as well.

I know there's been some back and forth on the flow of the songs with the heavy to melodic and back and forth and I know it'll be personal preference but it works very well for me. I'll second The River's comments from the post above about this aspect.

Oh yeah... and that vocal delivery for Underneath the Ground... love it.

Brian has compared this to No Code by Pearl Jam for fans reception of the album and I initially hated No Code when it came out. Well hate is probably strong but I was not a big fan. Now I really enjoy it though... Get Hurt I didn't have that wait though.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 1:03 pm

If (and hopefully when) Gaslight gets back together I hope they don't forget about these songs. I loved that they finally brought back Rollin' & Tumblin' towards the end of their last tour and hope that Dark Places makes a return. They were back to "Gaslight" tuning after the initial Get Hurt tour, and to me it sounded like Brian was much more comfortable singing some of these songs live in that range, rather than the recorded ones.
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2015 1:33 pm

Brian doesn't really seem to play songs from Get Hurt when he's playing solo/acoustic. It's a great record. Anyone know why? I mean it's not that thematically off some stuff he wrote under Molly and The Zombies. Maybe it's to create a separation from the solo stuff.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2016 3:49 pm

I honestly think it's because Get Hurt isn't on the same level as anything else Brian has done and he knows it.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
brunswick18
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
brunswick18

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2016 6:00 pm

I disagree, I believe that the majority of the songs off of Get Hurt are not translatable to solo/acoustic renditions, except for maybe a few. Plus when is the last time Brian has played Gaslight stuff at one of his solo/acoustic gigs? Everything he is doing currently with the Crowes and even stuff he did at the past two years of Crossroad shows is MatZ, Horrible Crowes, or old solo songs (i.e. The Blues Mary)
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 3:00 am

Get Hurt is an awesome album. I would say the album doesn't have the best track order for flow, but there are some amazing Gaslight songs on there.

I'm just surprised there isn't more acoustic stuff from radio appearances or anything like that. I'm sure a number of the songs translate over, because I'm sure a number of them started as acoustic. I know some of these songs come from a darker period in Brian's life, as did some of those Molly songs, and maybe he doesn't want to focus on that part of his life. Just listening to that video of Brian and Alex play a guitar version of 1,000 Years is fantastic from the Cardinal sessions I believe. Just wish there were more and wanted to know what people had.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 3:47 am

Keele wrote:
Get Hurt is an awesome album. I would say the album doesn't have the best track order for flow, but there are some amazing Gaslight songs on there.

I'm just surprised there isn't more acoustic stuff from radio appearances or anything like that. I'm sure a number of the songs translate over, because I'm sure a number of them started as acoustic. I know some of these songs come from a darker period in Brian's life, as did some of those Molly songs, and maybe he doesn't want to focus on that part of his life. Just listening to that video of Brian and Alex play a guitar version of 1,000 Years is fantastic from the Cardinal sessions I believe. Just wish there were more and wanted to know what people had.

I think he just doesn't enjoy doing them and wanted to do less this time.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 8:34 am

So I played Get Hurt again yesterday in its entirety, after quite a break. Man, that album is heavy, yet it also has some light touches, not least the acoustic 'Break Your Heart'. Now that Painkillers is out, I can see why some people may have struggled with Get Hurt, though I think it's a really good album.

What really struck me again were Brian's vocals on Get Hurt, which I think are stunning. He sounds so smooth, and that suits him as much as the sandpapery voice that people hear on Painkillers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Totally agree with the vocals. When I saw them in Boston on the Get Hurt tour, it was the best I've ever heard Brian.
Back to top Go down
Thunder Peel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 11:53 pm

This album is still phenomenal.
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 1:28 am

I love Get Hurt and still listen to it all the time. My kids know all the lyrics to Break Your Heart and Get Hurt from hearing those songs so much. It's a great collection of songs. 1,000 Years, Dark Places, Underneath The Ground, Rollin and Tumblin, and just a continued variety of songs. My only complaint, and it's the same as the day it was released, was that the track order and quirky or sudden intros didn't help the flow of the album all the way through. Thats such a minor issue. The guys sound great, the recording sounding great, we got lots of b-sides.

I feel that because Brian warned people it was different and out of their comfort zone people pre judged the album. It still really feel like a Gaslight Anthem album. Maybe you could key in on a few risks(things they tried and that worked out) or Horrible Crowes moments, but hoe could a fan of the band not like this album. Brian's always written with romanticism, and this record is exactly what it's like when a romantic is hurting.

Since Get Hurt was great, we need another album from this band. Painkillers is the opportunity for Brian to find that romanticism again in his lyrics and get in that happy place. The fact that Alex and Ian are there with the Crowes shows that a Gaslight return isn't a strech.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 21 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 21 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21