DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
NotLikeWeBleed
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Wish i could pick the songs to replay them! ahhhhhhh
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Haven't listened yet, but since there is speculation regarding the next single, but at least according to Spotify it is anywhere I lay my head
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:44 pm

OK I'm listening to it and so far I love it, it's not TGAbut it's interesting, to say the least... I need to hear it a few more times though
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Selected Poems (minus the first 45 seconds), Ain't That a Shame, and Dark Places are my favorites of the songs we hadn't heard from the album.

Not crazy about Underneath the Ground, Red Violins, and Break Your Heart at this point
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 2:01 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
God this is a fucking awesome album.

Yes
Back to top Go down
Hasler09
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Hasler09

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 2:10 pm

well I can't listen because i'm in England. Damn.
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 2:11 pm

How can someone decide whether or not they will continue to support a band after not even a full day of their new album being available to listen?

Sorry, but I find that embarrassing.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 2:24 pm

First reaction after 1 (!) digital spin, though on proper big speakers:

I do like it, and I do like its mix of heavy guitars and much gentler moments.

It is a bit different and luckily it is much more fun than I had expected.

Getting all the lyrics will take a little longer.

As for the deluxe version, I will split off bonus tracks 13-15 into a separate Get Hurt EP, though I will add 'Have Mercy' to the album as the proper closer. How can that only be an iTunes bonus tracks?

So, glad to have another big set of Gaslight Anthem/Brian Fallon songs. I'll definitely be sticking around. ;-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
NervousFeet
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
NervousFeet

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 2:30 pm

rumham wrote:
Haven't listened yet, but since there is speculation regarding the next single, but at least according to Spotify it is anywhere I lay my head

Anywhere I Lay My Head as in a song title? As in there isn't a song by that name on the album? Razz

1,000 Years should be the next single. Or Dark Places.

I think 1,000 Years might be the most radio-ready, gotta listen more to decide

steady now steady now wrote:
First reaction after 1 (!) digital spin, though on proper big speakers:

I do like it, and I do like its mix of heavy guitars and much gentler moments.

It is a bit different and luckily it is much more fun than I had expected.

Getting all the lyrics will take a little longer.

As for the deluxe version, I will split off bonus tracks 13-15 into a separate Get Hurt EP, though I will add 'Have Mercy' to the album as the proper closer.  How can that only be an iTunes bonus tracks?

So, glad to have another big set of Gaslight Anthem/Brian Fallon songs.  I'll definitely be sticking around. ;-)

Seriously though who decides these things!? Have Mercy is one of the best on the album and I think it has the potential to be all-time top 10.

Anyone who loved MATZ and THC but wasn't crazy about Handwritten or R&T/Stay Vicious, make sure you listen to Have Mercy. To me it's MATZ with real studio attention. Fucking excellent. The fact that this isn't on the album over Underneath the Ground and Break Your Heart as one of the 'slow song slots' is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Been spinning the digital, since 10am, it's now 7.30pm.
What can a man say after roughly 8 full spins, it's pretty.

It's sophisticated and a offers alot more pureness which I kind of missed on handwritten.
I like how it is not engineered to death, creating space for some raw tones with those subtile extra's.

Double-vocalling is awesome too. Listening these through a Bose-headphone was just phenomenal.

I had a direct feeling with 1.000 years, stray heart and red violins. Later on "break your heart" brought alot of goosebumps reminding me of an aching breakup past year. It brings great memories and painful loss.

Dark Places could become an anthem in my vision. It brings a rough ending, a punch and brings the album to a pleasant crescendo.

Describing the album? Delicately appealing.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 2:59 pm

CasanovaBaby90 wrote:
How can someone decide whether or not they will continue to support a band after not even a full day of their new album being available to listen?

yeah, but for me Get Hurt was kind of a last chance for the boys to give me their hand and get me back up on the bandwagon because after Handwritten i was like one foot off of it and on my way to other musicians. Now after a few full listen i just can say that it isn't at all a direction in their sound i would have liked and i don't think that they will ever come back to a more raw & light sound.

I can't say often enough that this IS NOT a "divorce" in hate and disgrace. It's just that i am not enjoying the new Gaslight anymore and now don't really care about their next records because i don't expect them to put out another record that i personally love Smile

And a few listen definitly ARE enough to give me a clue if i could ever LOVE this record - which in fact i can't..
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:00 pm

I cannot get enough of Helter Skeleton.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Hanswurst wrote:
CasanovaBaby90 wrote:

yeah, but for me Get Hurt was kind of a last chance for the boys to give me their hand and get me back up on the bandwagon because after Handwritten i was like one foot off of it and on my way to other musicians. Now after a few full listen i just can say that it isn't at all a direction in their sound i would have liked and i don't think that they will ever come back to a more raw & light sound.

I can't say often enough that this IS NOT a "divorce" in hate and disgrace. It's just that i am not enjoying the new Gaslight anymore and now don't really care about their next records because i don't expect them to put out another record that i personally love Smile

And a few listen definitly ARE enough to give me a clue if i could ever LOVE this record - which in fact i can't..

Yeah but why would you say "Goodbye" ...that just doesn't make sense. Surely you like previous stuff they've put out so you'll always have them to listen to? I don't like any of the new Kings of Leon albums except a few songs but still listen to their first 3 records.

And surely you will continue to check out what they put out, who's to say you wont like the next record?
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:03 pm

So...well....

I've only listened to it once, but my initial thoughts are...overall: 3.5/10

Starts off pretty well, and ends with a great song (plus 3 killer bonus tracks), but the majority of the record itself...Jesus Christ.  If it weren't for the bonus tracks, I would have cancelled my preorder.

I don't think TGA failed with this record - in fact, I think they succeeded in nailing exactly what they were going for - I just think what they were going for doesn't work.  It's not that these songs are explicitly bad.  Worse, they're immensely annoying.  Discontentment is sort of TGA's thing, but a sad/discontent/lonely song either needs to drag you down to that level, or approach its subject with a certain strength. Get Hurt does neither.  It's all whine and no spine.

As for the music and vocals, all the parts worked on their own, but once actually combined to make up a whole song, it didn't pan out and literally gave me a headache.  I get weird was what they were going for, but some of these songs were like drunk food.  What ingredients do we have to work with?  Doesn't matter, just throw it all together. Oh my!  I love bacon!  Can't wait to dive into this!  Oh wait, wow, there's peanut butter on this sandwich?  That's weird, but it strangely works.  Do I taste some Ramen, too?  Alright, it's still good, salty as fuck, but I can deal.  Oh man that's...okay, that bite had some goat cheese in it.  I mean I like goat cheese, but what the fuck, why did you put goat cheese in here?  And pickles?  Fuck your pickles man, why is that a good idea?  Yes, I love pickles, but not on a goddamn bacon, peanut butter, ramen, and goat cheese sandwich!

That's what Get Hurt is.  A Bacon, Peanut Butter, Ramen, and Goat Cheese Sandwich with pickles.

Perhaps a few more spins will change my perspective, but I only finished listening to because it's Gaslight.  Otherwise, I'da turned it off part-way through.

EDIT: Removed my Like/Dislike songs. I ended up giving this a few more go arounds and each time what I like and dislike changes slightly. I did cancel my preorder though. The majority of the album are skippers for me - one part of the song I'll really like, but the other parts I hate. There's only a few songs on here I like completely.

Last edited by jzancan on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:08 pm

is it just me or is rollin and tumblin slightly different on the album than the single release, might just be me...
Back to top Go down
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:12 pm

DE's leaked to the usual sites, make sure to buy a for reals copy, people.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:13 pm

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:
Hanswurst wrote:
CasanovaBaby90 wrote:

Yeah but why would you say "Goodbye" ...that just doesn't make sense. Surely you like previous stuff they've put out so you'll always have them to listen to? I don't like any of the new Kings of Leon albums except a few songs but still listen to their first 3 records.

And surely you will continue to check out what they put out, who's to say you wont like the next record?

well it's not that i totally ignore them from now on - of course i'll get to their shows whenever i get the chance and listen to their old stuff.
But i won't follow their everyday news and be that diehard fanboy like i did the last few years here on dimestore. And i won't get myself into another album hype like before the last few records. I'll just put gaslight down into the mass of good bands i like and check out their music whenever they put out new albums. They just can't stay on my personal "BEST BAND EVER"-Throne anymore - if you get what i mean. Sonically the last two records just don't "click" with me anymore..
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:13 pm

better than Handwritten that sounds even worse 2 years later than I thought it did when it came out. I have a feeling I'll return to this more often in the future. I like the sound.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
sinkorswimmydear
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:18 pm

for me it's a different album. needed a break after the first listen. favourites so far: helter skeleton, break your heart, dark places and have mercy ...
and what i think about the people saying they dont like it, thats okay, but dont forget there never will be a sinkorswim 2 or the 59 sound 2, this band is growing, and get hurt is the next step, wheter you like it or not...
Back to top Go down
sinkorswimmydear
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:27 pm

i just thought, this record could save my relationship to a good girlfriend !
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:30 pm

sinkorswimmydear wrote:
for me it's a different album. needed a break after the first listen. favourites so far: helter skeleton, break your heart, dark places and have mercy ...
and what i think about the people saying they dont like it, thats okay, but dont forget there never will be a sinkorswim 2 or the 59 sound 2, this band is growing, and get hurt is the next step, wheter you like it or not...

true, no point getting like the people on BTX waiting for another 'Darkness on the Edge of Town'
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:31 pm

CasanovaBaby90 wrote:

totally agree. at least let it breathe.
Back to top Go down
Mountie
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:46 pm

After a couple listens this will definitely be one that has to grow on me. I don't hate any of the tracks but not many jumped out at me either. Nothing that struck an emotional chord right out of the gate. Helter Skeleton and Have Mercy probably my early favourites. I don't mind Break Your Heart but sounds a little too much like a Tom Petty cover.
I understand the sentiment from some on here that they are kind of stepping away from the band at this point. I look at it from the perspective that if the last two records were the first two TGA releases I certainly would not consider them my favourite band. They have definitely moved in a different direction and i'm not connecting emotionally to the new material like the old stuff. Maybe my opinion will change after several listens but i'm not sure it will.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:47 pm

first TGA air guitar album?
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 3:49 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
sinkorswimmydear wrote:

true, no point getting like the people on BTX waiting for another 'Darkness on the Edge of Town'

fingers crossed DSS is never as brutal as BTX
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 5 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next