DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:39 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
"Sweet Morphine" has one of the best choruses here IMO

"By now, you must have done better than me
I'm sure Jupiter and Orpheus have charmed you off your feet
Oh by now, I'm sure you've gotten over me
While you're kissing clouds and gods I'll be crawlin on my knees.
Sweet morphine..."

Years from now if by some freak event Gaslight don't end up being remembered for '59 Sound it needs to be this song. I know I've been repping it hard but honestly gotta be contender for greatest song of the decade so far.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 1:19 am

Have Mercy is so great. Brian's low range is so mysterious and chilling. His voice sounds very, very rich on this one. Plus I think we can all agree the coda is incredible.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 2:08 am

HolyBreakOfDay wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm not sure there are enough photos of Brian smoking here ^^. Nope, definitely need more. Otherwise one might suspect he's trying to quit or something.  Razz
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 7:51 am

HolyBreakOfDay wrote:
riversedge wrote:
I actually think Mama's Boys should have closed the album as a kind of 'i divorced my wife but fuck it, theres no room for both of us here' track

I think the same, and the order of the songs is perfect except that. I love Halloween but it sounds strange at the end of this album.

Harbortown wrote:
HolyBreakOfDay wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
HolyBreakOfDay wrote:
I received the cd today, it was hard to wait and not listen to anything else until nom (except for Rollin n Tumbling).
Why are you waiting..? You have the CD.

I wanted to wait until I had the cd, I prefer to listen music on my stereo, especially to discover new songs. But now that I have it I'm not gonna wait anymore.
Oh, sorry! Bad understanding on my part.

I'd listen to the stream 24/7 if not for the fact that I've decided to meet up with a friend, have a few beers and listen to the record front to back on tuesday. It's gonna be a long weekend.

I wish I had a friend who loves TGA to do the same!!
I know the feeling Holybreakofday. I have one friend who loves Gaslight, but she lives a good bit away
Back to top Go down
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 8:02 am

It's probably just a fantasy, but every time I hear the "quiet part" of ain't that a shame I can't help thinking it's a super short tribute to "unchained melody". Anyway I'm just super happy with this album, can't wait to hear it in my car at disturbing volumes.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 8:26 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
HolyBreakOfDay wrote:
[spoiler]ctures of inside the booklet (is that the right word in english? Hope so.) :

Spoiler:

I'm not sure there are enough photos of Brian smoking here ^^. Nope, definitely need more. Otherwise one might suspect he's trying to quit or something.  Razz

He's trying to get hurt.

(I really hope some fan isn't gonna take this up, because Brian is modelling it so well.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:12 am

I thought he said he was quitting?
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Still no shipping confirmation from Infinite or My Play Direct. looks like it'll be my birthday before I get my vinyl. This sucks.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 7:39 pm

JimmyB wrote:
I thought he said he was quitting?

They took these pictures MONTHS ago....
Back to top Go down
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender
jonnyz83

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Got my amazon confirmation that Get Hurt deluxe CD has shipped!!!
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 10:41 pm

I have listened every night since the songs came up on iTunes radio but tonight was really the first time I was able to just listen song by song and not do anything else.

For me it's the same that others have said before, with each listen I love the record more and more and discover new things about it.

It may change again but tonight my favorite song is Dark Places. It makes me sad but it also captures me the most. I have loved 1,000 Years from first listen. And definitely the songs that were released earlier - Stay Vicious, Rollin' and Tumblin' and Get Hurt. And Halloween.

Now I can't wait to hear the songs live.

Hoping my InfiniteMerch orders will arrive soon, I am still in "unfulfilled" status  Wink
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 2:58 am

steady now steady now wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
HolyBreakOfDay wrote:
[spoiler]ctures of inside the booklet (is that the right word in english? Hope so.) :

Spoiler:

He's trying to get hurt.

(I really hope some fan isn't gonna take this up, because Brian is modelling it so well.)

I'm sure his lungs would say he's accomplished that!

Oh I'd bet money at MINIMUM several people have taken up smoking because of him modelling it as well as he does in both photos and lyrics. But hey, it's part of his image and the bands "brand" in a sense and that sells. It's not good (for him or fans) but from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense. I just hope he'd never decide to continue smoking just for "image" purposes because it's not worth it.
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 9:17 am

Came home this morning from a night away to find the deluxe version sitting on my doormat.

Listening now, just at the end of 1,000 Years, which sounds excellent on first listen. Now the somewhat familiar Get Hurt, which has been growing on me. Oh, and i notice in the booklet that the lyric actually is "Have you come here to get her?".
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 9:50 am

Not really blown away by any of the tracks yet, but i don't think i was by any off Handwritten, other than HCMM, which i'd heard before the album release, of course.

I'll give it a few more listens before i pass judgement, but it sounds pretty good on first listen.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 11:26 am

CapedAvenger wrote:
Oh, and i notice in the booklet that the lyric actually is "Have you come here to get her?".
That's what I always thought. Never really made the (very obvious) "Get hurt" connection in my head that maybe I should have.

It just made sense to me, given that the next line is "Have you come to take her away from me".
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Harbortown wrote:
CapedAvenger wrote:
Oh, and i notice in the booklet that the lyric actually is "Have you come here to get her?".
That's what I always thought. Never really made the (very obvious) "Get hurt" connection in my head that maybe I should have.

It just made sense to me, given that the next line is "Have you come to take her away from me".
Yeah, the actual lyric is far more obvious and sensible, really.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 6:27 pm

After countless listens, this is in my top 2 with 59 Sound. Impossible for me to know which I like more since 59 Sound was my first Gaslight experience and that night I stumbled upon this album was pretty much a religious experience.

I've been at the beach all week, and this album, despite being sad, could not have been more perfect. Sitting on the beach at night it's impossible to not get chills hearing Brian sing "How many nights did I crash against the waves?"

Back to top Go down
danny4690
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm going along more and more with the idea that this is a grower. For example I wasn't impressed at all with American Slang when it initially came out, and now some of the songs are among my favourite Gaslight songs.

A good stereo, good speakers/headphones can make all the difference too, my laptop speakers with the Youtube rip wasn't great for a first impression.

I can see why some people hate it and I can see why Brian thought it would get slated, but I'm loving it more with every listen.
Back to top Go down
ccr_2108
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 12:45 am

I have listened about 3 times around. Still letting everything settle in.

One thing that has stuck out to me is the guitar on 1,000 years that starts at :11 reminds me a lot of the the guitar tone in Tycho's "Awake".
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 8:09 am

After first listen all the way through I think there are a few standout tracks and some definite growers. Helter Skeleton, Break Your Heart and Have Mercy are brilliant in my opinion. I can't wait to let the other tracks sink in as I listen more.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 8:15 am

In Have Mercy where he sings 'I don't feel you anymore' I am sure there is another Gaslight song with these lyrics. Does anyone know what the song is because I swear I have heard these lyrics by Brian before?
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 8:31 am

I am addicted to this record. I don't want to listen to anything else. It's probably my favorite from them right next to T59S. I like how dark, sad an deep this record is.
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 9:22 am

Christophe wrote:
In Have Mercy where he sings 'I don't feel you anymore' I am sure there is another Gaslight song with these lyrics. Does anyone know what the song is because I swear I have heard these lyrics by Brian before?

I put it into Google and Stay Lucky came up most frequently cos of the line "What you don't have, you don't need it anymore"?
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 9:38 am

bringiton wrote:
Christophe wrote:

I put it into Google and Stay Lucky came up most frequently cos of the line "What you don't have, you don't need it anymore"?

Yeah it's definitely not Stay Lucky I am thinking of. Maybe it is not Gaslight but that line 'I don't feel you anymore' is very familiar to me.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 9:46 am

The_River wrote:
I am addicted to this record. I don't want to listen to anything else. It's probably my favorite from them right next to T59S. I like how dark, sad an deep this record is.

Me, too! I just play it wherever I am. It's amazing how deep it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 12 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next