DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:18 am

Sort of torn on this one so far. First complete listen left me kind of underwhelmed. There's just not a ton that jumps out at me. I don't think anything is necessarily bad, but I found myself waiting for certain songs to be over while listening, which is never a great thing on the first listen. It's definitely going to have to be a grower, whereas all of the other albums sort of instantly clicked on some level with me. I feel like there's a lack of great hooks here, and that Brian's voice is not as powerful as it could be in spots. I really can't put my finger on it, but something is just missing for me right now. Obviously not going to make my final judgement after a couple of listens, but overall I'm a bit disappointed with how it came out.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:21 am

I understand the side where people are saying, its okay, we're all going to buy the record anyway. But some people won't...at the end of the day its still a loss for the band. Saying that, I'm not going to check out the leak (mainly because I drove myself crazy looking for it) and have decided to just wait for my copy to turn up.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:24 am

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
It's really fucking good. Very soulful.

It sounds like Gaslight has always wanted to sound...

Glad you like this. I remember you were pretty disappointed with HW on first impression.
Back to top Go down
Vanderlyle Geek
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Vanderlyle Geek

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 am

On the music side of things I am a bit on the fence. I don't think I can truely say I dislike something after 2 listens
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 am

Also, it hasn't really leaked. Not REALLY. it was up for stream and then 'leaked' a couple of hours later. Personally, i think the effect a leak has on an album's sales etc is negligible. People who want to purchase the song in physical form or online via iTunes will do no matter what.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:27 am

Selected Poems is a good one. I don't like the first 20-30 seconds, but love it when it really kicks in.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:29 am

mja271 wrote:
Selected Poems is a good one.  I don't like the first 20-30 seconds, but love it when it really kicks in.

I am worried about how Brian will go about hitting some of the high notes live. I've seen some dreadful performances of 45 before.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:30 am

riversedge wrote:
mja271 wrote:
Selected Poems is a good one.  I don't like the first 20-30 seconds, but love it when it really kicks in.

I am worried about how Brian will go about hitting some of the high notes live. I've seen some dreadful performances of 45 before.

Honestly since they changed to standard tuning his live performances vocally have been very shaky. I think that causes him to lose some power in his voice because that upper register is not exactly his strong suit.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:31 am

mja271 wrote:
riversedge wrote:
mja271 wrote:

Honestly since they changed to standard tuning his live performances vocally have been very shaky.  I think that causes him to lose some power in his voice because that upper register is not exactly his strong suit.

Have they changed to standard?! I kinda get that now I think about it
Back to top Go down
Vanderlyle Geek
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Vanderlyle Geek

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:33 am

I think Helter Skeleton will be great live. I just hope they will do the same thing they did with Wherefore art thou, Elvis + Wooderson and Bonzo goes to bitburg + Howl. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
poormrpitiful
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
poormrpitiful

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:36 am

looking forward to hopefully hearing 1000 years and dark places live, so those feel like they were made with stadiums in mind, so far i'm loving the new album, bonus tracks i'm not too crazy about, new recording of halloween is great and i think Have Mercy is the best of that bunch, can't wait to pick up my copy on friday Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:42 am

Have Mercy is my favorite bonus track. That recording of Halloween could've come out better. It's a little too plodding and I don't love the vocals. Still a great song.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:55 am

On my first listen...

Lyrically "Stray Paper" is unlike anything Brian's ever written.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:01 am

Mama's Boys is so much fuckin' fun. Like, maybe the most fun GA song ever.
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:02 am

Halloween sounds good. Have Mercy is great. I only listened to those two since I'm at work, but now I can't wait to get home.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:15 am

And all I seem to find is that everything has chains
And all this life just feels like a series of dreams
Selected poems and lovers I can't begin to name
And all in all I find that nothing stays the same
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:21 am

God this is a fucking awesome album.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:41 am

"There's no room in heaven for California girls and mama's boys. Just like there ain't no room for me and you."
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:45 am

Okay reading all this is killing me! Why can't they put it up on UK iTunes?!
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:48 am

Christophe wrote:

I hope you get to hear it soon. This album in incredible. I am on my 4th listen now and I don't not like one song. This is out at the perfect time because I am going through some troubles with a girl right now.
Back to top Go down
Vanderlyle Geek
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Vanderlyle Geek

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:49 am

33RPMHero wrote:
Christophe wrote:

I hope you get to hear it soon.  This album in incredible.  I am on my 4th listen now and I don't not like one song.  This is out at the perfect time because I am going through some troubles with a girl right now.  

Haha aren't we all though Wink
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:50 am

33RPMHero wrote:
This is out at the perfect time because I am going through some troubles with a girl right now.

On a side note, there is a topic in here for that, and it's always leading to the same conclusion. Just saying.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:51 am

Dark Places is amazing! Absolutely love it!

From the title I assumed it'd be a slow...well, dark song haha but it's an anthem and dare I say it...a bit like The Killers Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:51 am

This album really does seem to split people...can't wait to hear it!

Would people say on the whole its lyrically a step up from Handwritten as that was the main factor that I didn't like on that album?
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:53 am

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:
This album really does seem to split people...can't wait to hear it!

Would people say on the whole its lyrically a step up from Handwritten as that was the main factor that I didn't like on that album?

The album, in my opinion, is for sure a step up from Handwritten with the lyrics. I think these are some of the best lyrics he has written.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 3 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next