DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]

Go down 
+62
bringiton_ty
HorribleCrowe
Harbortown
jonnyz83
EveryLittleSecret
YouCanCallMeSally
RobertODonnell
bakerfall
Labhras
Prisoner
DaleCooper
Breanne
The Angry Johnny Revue
Yozzy
snakester
Vibes
OldManShoes3
njguy99
prettyontheinsidex
steady now steady now
Mr.Grieves
riversedge
drifter69
colmillionaire
rumham
Raoul_Duke
Danieljsmith
CapedAvenger
mingus
IAmDisappeared
Bea
loazis
azlisa
Christophe
elliott4296
Steve70s
ghosttocoast
enola
White Man In Hammersmith
TGAFAN25
holdsteady82
gtalbott
CasanovaBaby90
JimmyB
JJW319
stephendgaf
saltandburn1967
gaslightfan89
StitchesOnTheRadio
Debonair
steph
simo
heartlikeatomb
Kosburn59
DeathoftheCool
Jack
brianisbae
eagles1139
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Don Carlo
A_Regular
Shrewsbury_Stars
66 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:45 pm

Just wonderful, been on repeat for a while (probably a bad idea, because eventually I'll get tired of it, but for now, I'm good).
Back to top Go down
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Breanne

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:48 pm

azlisa wrote:
lets just talk about how fantastic the song is Smile
Let's just talk about how this song made me bawl my eyes out
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xripped_kneesx
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:50 pm

I really like how intense the last chorus is. It's like the bridge is a buildup of anger and then it just explodes with the final "Oh sha la la"
Back to top Go down
DaleCooper
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
DaleCooper

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:25 am

Did not like the sound of this song from the video that was posted a week or two ago, but was very pleasantly surprised by the full version. Holding off final judgment until I hear an actual decent copy of it though and not some crappy ripped stream.
Back to top Go down
http://jonathanhawkins.net
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:08 am

eagles1139 wrote:
I really like how intense the last chorus is. It's like the bridge is a buildup of anger and then it just explodes with the final "Oh sha la la"

i think the second verse is my favorite, the real driving quality too it. and i agree the bridge is just an outpouring of resentment. everything has a purpose in this song, it's great
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 am

Could this song be a reaction to Elsie?

A reviewer accused Brian of mysogyny based on the lyrics on Elsie.

Brian was very angry about that and denied the accusations.

Maybe he wrote this song as a reaction against his own 'downtrodden man songs'?

About the song:

It sounds very Motown-Soullike and '60-like, especially with that 12 string.

I don't like the production, but the stuff I heard are bad quality rips

I looove the intro. It it is so untypical Gaslight and sounds like something from the sixties.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 am

Must....fight....intense...desire...to...listen...
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:02 am

i don't think it's very good.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:55 am

I like the song quite a bit, intro does have a '60's vibe (clearly the 12 string Brian mentioned). It also is the most horrible crowes sounding Gaslight song, a lot of "hurricane" in there. The drumming is pretty great, but the vocals seem a bit over effected, but that could be the quality of the rip.

I'd be surprised if it ended up being a single though, who knows.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Prisoner wrote:

I doubt it. He made it sound like the idea came about naturally during the songwriting process, not that it was planned. And that reviewer was clearly just trying to manufacture some controversy where there wasn't any. Hell, I actually read a review of Elsie from a feminist website, and they loved the album! I guess they were smart enough to realize that it was a recollection of past events, not a manifesto on women in general.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:58 pm

[quote="Harry Lime"]
Prisoner wrote:

I've thought about that a lot and i think that had a lot to do with it, not so much the article but the nature of the Elsie songs.
Almost definitely, because the first thing I thought when Brian talked in the video about "all these downtrodden man songs" was, You just wrote an album of them! So I think he figured it was time to try a fresh perspective. Awesome! farao
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:08 pm

I couldn't take it anymore...so I just listened.

Oh my friggeen god. It's beautiful. Just flat out beautiful...

It could be a female perspective on so many of the earlier songs, but I think it's really about empowerment. So many of the earlier Gaslight songs are about getting your heart torn apart. This is not about heartbreak, or disappointment, but about finding the strength to leave. It's universal. It's also completely and totally amazing...
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Is it just me or when Brian sings "But I just won't be there to stand for it
Not one more minute will I stand for it"

Does anyone else see him wagging a finger all sassy like?
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:20 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Is it just me or when Brian sings "But I just won't be there to stand for it
Not one more minute will I stand for it"

Does anyone else see him wagging a finger all sassy like?

Haha, well now I see it! That image is going to be in my head every time I hear this song now. Razz
Back to top Go down
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender
YouCanCallMeSally

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:28 pm

I intentionally waited a few days to post anything on the topic to make sure I listen to the song over and over again (cause I don't like most songs on the 1st to 10th listen).
Anyway it had enough listens. I just don't like it. Can't really explain why, it just isn't Gaslight to me. I like the intro (for a song of any other band [not saying bands aren't allowed to develop]) but Brian also sings it too high for my likes and well it just doesn't do anything for me.

Now go hit me with the frying pan
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/rubychaos
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 pm

YouCanCallMeSally wrote:
I intentionally waited a few days to post anything on the topic to make sure I listen to the song over and over again (cause I don't like most songs on the 1st to 10th listen).
Anyway it had enough listens. I just don't like it. Can't really explain why, it just isn't Gaslight to me. I like the intro (for a song of any other band [not saying bands aren't allowed to develop]) but Brian also sings it too high for my likes and well it just doesn't do anything for me.

Frying Pan

Nah I'm kidding. I should adapt your method of not posting my first, 3rd, 5th, and 10th reaction or whatever because I've done a complete 180 on this song.

But that's fair you gave it time. Maybe hold off till the album comes it. It might never be your favorite but who knows, maybe you'll like how it fits with the rest.

Sorry Shannon! Haha.
Back to top Go down
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender
YouCanCallMeSally

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:35 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
YouCanCallMeSally wrote:

Frying Pan

Nah I'm kidding. I should adapt your method of not posting my first, 3rd, 5th, and 10th reaction or whatever because I've done a complete 180 on this song.

But that's fair you gave it time. Maybe hold off till the album comes it. It might never be your favorite but who knows, maybe you'll like how it fits with the rest.

Sorry Shannon! Haha.

Yeah I thought about that too, that it might all fall in place with the entirety of the album. Can't wait to hear it! bounce
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

YouCanCallMeSally wrote:

Frying Pan Frying Pan Frying Pan
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Christophe wrote:
YouCanCallMeSally wrote:

This!

Haha, no, you're entitled to your opinion, but like Shelby said, maybe when you hear it with all the other songs on the album, it'll work better for you. Personally, I think it's brilliant and I love how Brian wrote it from the perspective of a girl. It's very insightful and unusual to hear a guy thinking in that way. I think he did a great job and I love the way the song sounds. Every part of it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:52 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Christophe wrote:
YouCanCallMeSally wrote:

This!

Haha, no, you're entitled to your opinion, but like Shelby said, maybe when you hear it with all the other songs on the album, it'll work better for you. Personally, I think it's brilliant and I love how Brian wrote it from the perspective of a girl. It's very insightful and unusual to hear a guy thinking in that way. I think he did a great job and I love the way the song sounds. Every part of it. Smile

Yep definitely everyone is entitled to their opinion but to me Gaslight are just sounding better and better with every song I hear. It reminds me quite a bit of Bring It On with the stompy driving rhythm and the different tempos in the song. Also lyrically it reminds me of Bring It On maybe as a direct response to the man's point of view in that song. Anyway I just think it is a great Gaslight song and once again Brian's lyrics are incredible Smile
Back to top Go down
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender
YouCanCallMeSally

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Yeah I've heard the Bring it On Reference from someone before. I disagree.
Well I am only being harsh 'cause I love the band so much and I don't want them to change their sound too much (which is not a 100% fair I'll admit! and also prone to happen with nearly every band throughout the years) But I am getting ahead of myself. I mean I only know 3 songs from that album and I absolutely love 2 out of 3!
Back to top Go down
EveryLittleSecret
A Contender
A Contender
EveryLittleSecret

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 4:12 pm

YouCanCallMeSally wrote:

Frying Pan Frying Pan Frying Pan Frying Pan Frying Pan
Back to top Go down
DaleCooper
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
DaleCooper

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 pm

This board can get a bit hyperbolic sometimes with over the top praise for the band (not that this is necessarily unexpected on a fan forum), so I find it refreshing when someone posts something critical. I don't think anyone should be expected to love everything a band puts out. As musicians evolve, there are bound to be missteps and changes that are off putting to fans of their prior work. Gaslight Anthem have indicated a clear shift in their sound with this album as they continue to strive for a wider audience and more commercial appeal. That's bound to alienate at least a few of the older fans, though hopefully this album can appeal to both bases (hard to tell yet based off only 3 songs). I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried about this record shifting to a more generic, controlled sound, but I am trying not to really think about that until I've actually heard the record (no point in pre-judging).

I know this all too well as an obsessive Weezer fan that saw the band go from two of my all-time favorite albums to five straight mediocre to downright horrible releases. It's rare for any artist to be able to maintain a consistently high level over a career (though it certainly happens), and I would hope that even a band's most ardent fans still try to maintain at least some objectivity when listening. Don't force yourself to like something just because it is written or performed by a certain person; I used to have a bad habit of doing that with my favorite bands, and I found very quickly that it broke down over time as the newness wore off. For that reason I try to wait a little bit before expressing my thoughts on a new release (this started after I proclaimed Make Believe as on par with Pinkerton after first hearing it and I will never live that down), because sometimes some of my favorite songs are ones that I don't necessarily get on the first couple of listens. At the same time, I have heard songs that I instantly loved but sounded stale to me as soon as the newness wore off.

Last edited by DaleCooper on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://jonathanhawkins.net
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender
YouCanCallMeSally

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 4:18 pm

EveryLittleSecret wrote:
YouCanCallMeSally wrote:

Yeah alright...but can I just say that your quote is one of my favorites!!!
I think "I can't move on and I can't stay the same" is worth getting tattooed somewhere.

So does distracting everybody with my love for 45 keep you from hitting me? rabbit
Back to top Go down
EveryLittleSecret
A Contender
A Contender
EveryLittleSecret

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 4:22 pm

YouCanCallMeSally wrote:
EveryLittleSecret wrote:
YouCanCallMeSally wrote:

Yeah alright...but can I just say that your quote is one of my favorites!!!
I think "I can't move on and I can't stay the same" is worth getting tattooed somewhere.

So does distracting everybody with my love for 45 keep you from hitting me? rabbit

hahaha i guess i can let it slide..... cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]   'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more] - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Here Comes My Man' streaming [no more]
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next