DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]

Go down 
+59
Boy From Little Eden
zerb012345
TGAFAN25
mwh
StitchesOnTheRadio
Commander Vimes
Blues With the Dogs
HolyBreakOfDay
jonester
EyesOnThatCadillac
redheadchick
Labhras
HorribleCrowe
bringiton_ty
Hanswurst
SubconsciousRitual
Virginiatiger
Holland
elliott4296
sportshack
The Angry Johnny Revue
spgilbert
enola
patfreesia
TheTrevor
RaquelWaltz
Midnight Rambler
Yozzy
OldManShoes3
eagles1139
Christophe
Jack
loazis
EmptySoul89
Camus
Casey
AGoodTime
poormrpitiful
Don Carlo
Red_Heels
Philo
drifter69
TGAforLIFE
simo
Harbortown
TheMagnificentDreamer
Jay
eremitapa
ThisMachineKillsFascists
Steve70s
scarsrsouvenirs
JimmyB
theBasemen
steph
DeathoftheCool
Debonair
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Poet Jonah
steady now steady now
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 3:58 pm

JimmyB wrote:
I am working on something with "The Sins of our fathers,They shape our lives" as a line

Ooh, I like that! And there is some truth to that line too. I'm looking forward to hearing this song when you finish it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Beginnings tonight:

Measured, every step you take,
Hit from all sides,
Keeping your soul awake,
Words you took to heart.
Back to top Go down
Philo
Wooderson
Wooderson
Philo

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Just something I scrawled on my notepad a few nights ago

- Senses

I can hear the promises wispered in my ear
I can see a chance I had but didn't quite take
I can smell its presence as I can taste The Fear
I can feel The Night but it feels so fake
Have I been chosen by The Angel?
Or have I been charmed by The Snake?
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 3:33 am

Nice! I love how some of the things are Capitalized. Makes everything seem really epic. Some big themes in this poem
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 5:08 pm

That was great, Philo! I really like how you used all the senses and brought them to life. The last two lines are fantastic because they can lead to so many possibilities and hint at so many different situations. I want to read more! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Steve70s wrote:
Beginnings tonight:

Measured, every step you take,
Hit from all sides,
Keeping your soul awake,
Words you took to heart.

Very cool, Steve! Is this part of a song you are working on? "Keeping your soul awake" is such a great line.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 8:39 am

Yeah - I got three demos done so this will be the fourth and time for some action!
Back to top Go down
theBasemen
A Contender
A Contender
theBasemen

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 12:19 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
theBasemen wrote:
Ruined in Seconds

Whoa, this was dark and creepy and a little scary...and I really like it! The line "Your lips start shaking, the devil starts to laugh" is great. Good use of imagery. I also thought "Now you're staring at the mirror, there's nothing but an empty expression" was very strong. So sad, but we've all been there on some level. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Luckily I'm not at this level. In the Netherlands , there are a lot of sexual child abuse-cases on the news lately. I find nauseating these people can do others this harm. There's a lot of personal frustration in this song.

Last night we played the song for the first time live. If you want to watch/hear it... Here it is:
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Naked-Sweat-Drips/259797094
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 1:02 pm

Alright well I guess I should report back on how it went lol...

All in all it was just about the most nevrewracking experience I've ever had to go through. Luckily most of the other poets I was talking to there were really nice and supportive so it put me at ease. Anyway, my sister said I did great and was very charming while I was on stage so I'm pretty happy that I did it. I was really surprised at how many people showed up as well. The auditorium fit about 200 and it looked like there were at least 150-175 people there, so it was exciting. Mary Kinzie was there too which was cool because she's easily one of the biggest living Chicago Poets. All in all it was very cool and I'm glad I gutted up and did it lol.

Also, I had no idea this would be happening until the host told me, but there will be a anthology of the event published later this May on ebook (whatever the fuck that is lol), so I'll be sure to send you guys the link or the book or whatever it actually is lol.

Btw Ruined in Seconds totally killed. Nice job.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Steve70s wrote:
Yeah - I got three demos done so this will be the fourth and time for some action!

Awesome! Can we expect some recordings in the near future? Wink
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 4:23 pm

theBasemen wrote:
theBasemen wrote:
Ruined in Seconds

Whoa, this was dark and creepy and a little scary...and I really like it! The line "Your lips start shaking, the devil starts to laugh" is great. Good use of imagery. I also thought "Now you're staring at the mirror, there's nothing but an empty expression" was very strong. So sad, but we've all been there on some level. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Luckily I'm not at this level. In the Netherlands , there are a lot of sexual child abuse-cases on the news lately. I find nauseating these people can do others this harm. There's a lot of personal frustration in this song.

Last night we played the song for the first time live. If you want to watch/hear it... Here it is:

Oh wow, you totally blew me away, Steve! That was a great performance! I know you said previously that your band is a throwback to the early 70s (love that so much!), so I wondering if you are a Doors fan. The song and even your movements remind me a lot of Jim Morrison, which coming from me, is a big compliment! That was really, really good.

And after you explained what inspired the song...it felt even more emotional hearing it and rereading the lyrics. I am a teacher/nanny and children play a huge part in my life, so it tears me up whenever I hear about things like that happening. It's the worst thing I can possibly imagine. I think it's great that you wrote such a powerful song that could bring awareness to such a tragic topic. I'm really impressed.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Jay wrote:
Alright well I guess I should report back on how it went lol...

All in all it was just about the most nevrewracking experience I've ever had to go through. Luckily most of the other poets I was talking to there were really nice and supportive so it put me at ease. Anyway, my sister said I did great and was very charming while I was on stage so I'm pretty happy that I did it. I was really surprised at how many people showed up as well. The auditorium fit about 200 and it looked like there were at least 150-175 people there, so it was exciting. Mary Kinzie was there too which was cool because she's easily one of the biggest living Chicago Poets. All in all it was very cool and I'm glad I gutted up and did it lol.

Also, I had no idea this would be happening until the host told me, but there will be a anthology of the event published later this May on ebook (whatever the fuck that is lol), so I'll be sure to send you guys the link or the book or whatever it actually is lol.

Btw Ruined in Seconds totally killed. Nice job.

I'm so glad that it went well! That's a pretty big crowd. It sounds like an amazing experience, and it's really cool that an anthology is being made too! Congratulations again! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
theBasemen
A Contender
A Contender
theBasemen

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Oh wow, you totally blew me away, Steve! That was a great performance! I know you said previously that your band is a throwback to the early 70s (love that so much!), so I wondering if you are a Doors fan. The song and even your movements remind me a lot of Jim Morrison, which coming from me, is a big compliment! That was really, really good.

And after you explained what inspired the song...it felt even more emotional hearing it and rereading the lyrics. I am a teacher/nanny and children play a huge part in my life, so it tears me up whenever I hear about things like that happening. It's the worst thing I can possibly imagine. I think it's great that you wrote such a powerful song that could bring awareness to such a tragic topic. I'm really impressed.

Thanks for these words! I'm real grateful! I can fully understand your emotions with your connection. It's a damn shame mankind is doing this to the innocent little ones!

Morrison is an huge influence indeed. The spirit that's in his words always struck me, handing over that same feeling is my main goal of singing and bringing out the words.

Again, thank you Shannon!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Naked-Sweat-Drips/259797094
Philo
Wooderson
Wooderson
Philo

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback on my last post guys! Writing isn't really something I do but just thought I'd share a few bits and pieces with you guys

GP Was Right
Think I'm suffering from third degree burns
Some could call this a love but these just hurt
There's always been three snakes trying their best to entice me
I'm trying to swim but I'm just drowning in their sea
I try fighting the waves but I'm being weighed down
Burdened by these sorrows I've been trying to drown
Sinking faster than a cannonball on a ship I promised never to board
This could be the end of everything, always the same problems
Hell, maybe even more...
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:09 pm

theBasemen wrote:

Thanks for these words! I'm real grateful! I can fully understand your emotions with your connection. It's a damn shame mankind is doing this to the innocent little ones!

Morrison is an huge influence indeed. The spirit that's in his words always struck me, handing over that same feeling is my main goal of singing and bringing out the words.

Again, thank you Shannon!

Ahahaha, I knew Jim Morrison and to be one of your influences! Razz He was such an amazing artist. And you're welcome! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Philo wrote:
Thanks for the feedback on my last post guys! Writing isn't really something I do but just thought I'd share a few bits and pieces with you guys

GP Was Right
Think I'm suffering from third degree burns
Some could call this a love but these just hurt
There's always been three snakes trying their best to entice me
I'm trying to swim but I'm just drowning in their sea
I try fighting the waves but I'm being weighed down
Burdened by these sorrows I've been trying to drown
Sinking faster than a cannonball on a ship I promised never to board
This could be the end of everything, always the same problems
Hell, maybe even more...

You can no longer say writing isn't something you do. That was great! You have a real natural talent here, and I love how raw and fierce this poem is. The lines "I try fighting the waves but I'm being weighed down/ Burdened by these sorrows I've been trying to drown" really stand out to me. "I've been trying to drown" is such a powerful statement. Keep doing this, Philo. You're a writer now. Smile

Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:19 pm

I've lost my wishes, and given up on hope
On the last rung and last inch of rope.
You stole my heart out, and and threw it to The moon
The sins of my father shapes my life.

Well I am working from that.
Back to top Go down
Philo
Wooderson
Wooderson
Philo

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:41 pm

You can no longer say writing isn't something you do. That was great! You have a real natural talent here, and I love how raw and fierce this poem is. The lines "I try fighting the waves but I'm being weighed down/ Burdened by these sorrows I've been trying to drown" really stand out to me. "I've been trying to drown" is such a powerful statement. Keep doing this, Philo. You're a writer now. Smile

Thank so much for the positive feedback! YOu really think i've a talent for this?
Its just writings never eally be something i took so seriously, usually just scribble a few lines down when im real bored or something haha

Thank you, or as I'd usually say it 'Go raibh maith agat'
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:43 pm

JimmyB wrote:

This is just a grammar thing (and it may very well be a typo), but it should be "shape" instead of "shapes." I'm just nitpicky about things like that. Otherwise it's actually pretty nice.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:45 pm

JimmyB wrote:

This is a good start, Jimmy. I still really like that last line. Just make sure you insert something positive and/or hopeful into the lyrics so it doesn't turn into the theme song for the romance issues thread. Wink
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Philo wrote:

Thank so much for the positive feedback! YOu really think i've a talent for this?
Its just writings never eally be something i took so seriously, usually just scribble a few lines down when im real bored or something haha

Thank you, or as I'd usually say it 'Go raibh maith agat'

You're welcome! And yes, I do think you have a talent for this. You have a good sense of rhythm for poetry and I like your phrasing a lot. Sometimes those lines that we scribble without thinking about it turn into something beautiful. Smile

P.S. - The Irish language is so pretty!
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:58 pm

JimmyB wrote:

This is a good start, Jimmy. I still really like that last line. Just make sure you insert something positive and/or hopeful into the lyrics so it doesn't turn into the theme song for the romance issues thread. Wink
I am trying to keep writing....but I think I may keep this a sad song...much like it would fit on Elise.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:01 pm

JimmyB wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

I am trying to keep writing....but I think I may keep this a sad song...much like it would fit on Elise.

Sad is fine, but don't let it get depressing. Take Cherry Blossoms for instance. It's the saddest song ever in my opinion, but it doesn't depress me at all. It just hits me emotionally, and I love that.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:14 pm

You've reminded me of this:

Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Tumblr_m236un7DRj1qlvmd1o1_500
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Aw, I love the Peanuts comics! I love you And Charlie Brown is right. When a song just hits me a certain way, even if it's gut-wrenchingly sad, I want to hear it over and over again. Cherry Blossoms, Last Kiss, Leaving on a Jet Plane, and the list goes on. I guess I've always loved the sad, sad songs. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]
Page 10 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 33  Next