DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]

Go down 
+59
Boy From Little Eden
zerb012345
TGAFAN25
mwh
StitchesOnTheRadio
Commander Vimes
Blues With the Dogs
HolyBreakOfDay
jonester
EyesOnThatCadillac
redheadchick
Labhras
HorribleCrowe
bringiton_ty
Hanswurst
SubconsciousRitual
Virginiatiger
Holland
elliott4296
sportshack
The Angry Johnny Revue
spgilbert
enola
patfreesia
TheTrevor
RaquelWaltz
Midnight Rambler
Yozzy
OldManShoes3
eagles1139
Christophe
Jack
loazis
EmptySoul89
Camus
Casey
AGoodTime
poormrpitiful
Don Carlo
Red_Heels
Philo
drifter69
TGAforLIFE
simo
Harbortown
TheMagnificentDreamer
Jay
eremitapa
ThisMachineKillsFascists
Steve70s
scarsrsouvenirs
JimmyB
theBasemen
steph
DeathoftheCool
Debonair
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Poet Jonah
steady now steady now
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 2:35 pm

You did it again, Cody! This poem is great. The emotion feels so raw and heavy, which is exactly what I like to feel when reading poetry like this. The first stanza really stood out to me. I love the first three lines especially. Very intense.
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

Location : Chattanooga, the cousin nobody invites to the family reunion

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks shannon! BTW my book is officially finished It'll be for sale in a few weeks on amzon!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 5:23 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:
Thanks shannon! BTW my book is officially finished It'll be for sale in a few weeks on amzon!

cheers Congratulations! cheers I can't wait to read it!
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 6:32 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
^Wow, thank you so much, Matt! I am honored that you compared my poem to T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land. It had been a while since I read it, so I checked it out again and did see some similarities that I probably never would have thought of on my own.

You have a good voice! I love watching performances where it's obvious that the musicians are having such a great time. Very Happy
The Waste land? I like that poem. Did you know it inspired a stephen King Novel?

My lyrics are being worked on currently, I have yet to get anything beyond one line.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 6:40 pm

JimmyB wrote:
^Wow, thank you so much, Matt! I am honored that you compared my poem to T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land. It had been a while since I read it, so I checked it out again and did see some similarities that I probably never would have thought of on my own.

You have a good voice! I love watching performances where it's obvious that the musicians are having such a great time. Very Happy

The Waste land? I like that poem. Did you know it inspired a stephen King Novel?

My lyrics are being worked on currently, I have yet to get anything beyond one line.

I like The Waste Land too. I read a bit of T. S. Eliot in college, but it's been a while. I'm glad I looked it up again. I had no idea it inspired a Stephen King novel. Cool! Cool

Every song has to start somewhere, Jimmy. I'm sure you can create something terrific off of that one line you have. Sometimes I don't even have that when I start a poem. Sometimes it's just a word or an idea. Happy writing! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 6:46 pm

The Waste Land inspired a Dark Tower novel called The Waste Lands. Very amazing series, on par with Lord of The Rings.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 6:49 pm

JimmyB wrote:
The Waste Land inspired a Dark Tower novel called The Waste Lands. Very amazing series, on par with Lord of The Rings.

I like Stephen King but I don't like Lord of the Rings. So...I don't know what to make of that statement. scratch Neutral confused
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 6:51 pm

JimmyB wrote:

I like Stephen King but I don't like Lord of the Rings. So...I don't know what to make of that statement. scratch Neutral confused
It is one of the greatest series of books ever written. It has every Genre in the 7 books.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 9:20 pm

JimmyB wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

It is one of the greatest series of books ever written. It has every Genre in the 7 books.

Hmm...I might have to give them a try. Thanks for the tip, Jimmy! Smile
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Well, my reading is today. I'm just about as nervous as I've ever been.

Anybody have any last minute public speaking tips?
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Jay wrote:

Good luck, Jay! I don't really have any tips for you (sorry!), but just try to relax and enjoy the experience of presenting your work. Let us know how it goes! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 5:05 pm

Jay wrote:

Hmm... I don't know if you're a guitar player, but it always helps me to have a guitar pick in my pocket. Otherwise, you can try a paper clip to sort of "draw your energy" to it. I saw it in a movie once, and thought it was weird, but it's actually a good trick!

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Alright Shannon, my book is done and finalized. I'm ordering the proof tomorrow. so I wont be posting anything new here on the forum (I might post some old stuff) but also this:

the roses are dead
the violets are too,
I hated gardening so I didn't water the plants.

Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:31 pm

No new poems? Sad I'll just have to order your book then! Very Happy

I hate gardening too! Die plants, die! Frying Pan Razz
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:39 pm

LOL!!!! YOU'RE GOOFY I had to do some editing with it today and it made it a bit longer (added an introduction) I am so seriously excited about releasing this thing, I mean seriously! Like, getting my proof and then reviewing it OH GOODNESS!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:45 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:

LOL!!!! YOU'RE GOOFY I had to do some editing with it today and it made it a bit longer (added an introduction) I am so seriously excited about releasing this thing, I mean seriously! Like, getting my proof and then reviewing it OH GOODNESS!

Haha, the girls I nanny for say I'm the silliest person in the world. I'm fun! geek

I can imagine how excited you must be! Hopefully I'll get to experience the feeling of being published in the future too. Make sure you post the release date so I can order your book right away. I am so seriously excited to read this thing. I mean seriously! Razz
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:58 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:

Haha, the girls I nanny for say I'm the silliest person in the world. I'm fun! geek

I can imagine how excited you must be! Hopefully I'll get to experience the feeling of being published in the future too. Make sure you post the release date so I can order your book right away. I am so seriously excited to read this thing. I mean seriously! Razz

thanks shannon! you're like my biggest/only fan! farao
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 10:00 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:
The Poet Jonah wrote:

thanks shannon! you're like my biggest/only fan! farao

How about this? I'll be the first of many, many fans that you will have. Just wait and see. geek
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 pm

I'll have to do a lot of waiting Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 10:09 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:

Like Tom Petty says, "The waiting is the hardest part." It's all part of the literary business, a lesson I am still learning! Rolling Eyes But with talent like yours, I know it will happen for you. Keep the faith. Wink
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 10:12 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:

Like Tom Petty says, "The waiting is the hardest part." It's all part of the literary business, a lesson I am still learning! Rolling Eyes But with talent like yours, I know it will happen for you. Keep the faith. Wink

goofy goofy girl
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 10:14 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:
The Poet Jonah wrote:

goofy goofy girl

Haha, I have my moments! Razz
Back to top Go down
theBasemen
A Contender
A Contender
theBasemen

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Ruined in Seconds

Early morning minutes, time to overthink,
About what happened last night,
you still can hear the echoes in the sink
You met a stranger who gave you everything
Now you’re staring at the mirror,
there’s nothing but an empty expression
You try to look away from the reflection you don’t want to have
Your lips start shaking, the devil starts to laugh

He gave you pain
He marked the stains
He ate your soul
He made you crawl
Your life in his hands
Your life ruined
In seconds
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Naked-Sweat-Drips/259797094
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 2:01 pm

I am working on something with "The Sins of our fathers,They shape our lives" as a line
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 3:56 pm

theBasemen wrote:
Ruined in Seconds

Early morning minutes, time to overthink,
About what happened last night,
you still can hear the echoes in the sink
You met a stranger who gave you everything
Now you’re staring at the mirror,
there’s nothing but an empty expression
You try to look away from the reflection you don’t want to have
Your lips start shaking, the devil starts to laugh

He gave you pain
He marked the stains
He ate your soul
He made you crawl
Your life in his hands
Your life ruined
In seconds

Whoa, this was dark and creepy and a little scary...and I really like it! The line "Your lips start shaking, the devil starts to laugh" is great. Good use of imagery. I also thought "Now you're staring at the mirror, there's nothing but an empty expression" was very strong. So sad, but we've all been there on some level. Thank you for sharing this with us!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]
Page 9 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21 ... 33  Next