DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Post your own TGA covers here.

Go down 
+100
HorribleCrowe
Mae
StateOfMind
Hombie
zombietime
Shrewsbury_Stars
stevie_r_jay
gordy1186
Smasha13
michaelphillips
NotLikeWeBleed
xxxje
Tincan Sailor
Stevearm
StitchesOnTheRadio
Anya_TGA
GaslightFan
Halfstepdown
ThereIsAThunder
HolyBreakOfDay
briancarr82
pennywisdom
Italian__Fallon
GuitarMike
33RPMHero
crsmsi
jonester
lostintheflood
Jack
bringiton_ty
thomas94
White Man In Hammersmith
Hanswurst
Vinay
Jables
saltandburn1967
NYYFAN523
ghosttocoast
RandyMachoManCabbage
gking92
Christophe
reflected
MKULTRA
RobG20
Danieljsmith
TGAforLIFE
mirrorenigma
moosicmaniac
I Came To Dance
TheMagnificentDreamer
Camus
eremitapa
steph
w3tt3r
Debonair
The Angry Johnny Revue
Philo
spgilbert
enola
Down by the Mersey
maugrabo
CharlotteGaslight
IrishNameAndAnInjury
DeathoftheCool
ThisMachineKillsFascists
Labhras
JukeboxJuliet
StopAndSlideToTheRight
Prisoner
Ryan
Harbortown
tipolloa
Jerseyrain
JJW319
BockOfLight
plugga
brianisbae
PPQ
No_Direction
Holland
Bea
theBasemen
JimmyB
Kosburn59
Hendrix94
Bornbutforgot
Jessii
Jaywalk
Scott
CoolCalmChris
Little Eden
rivercities
thecosmickid
AngryJohnnyN1930
dlemire
think-or-swim
loazis
Forum Owner
simo
willie56
104 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
AuthorMessage
Mae
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mae

Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 10:07 am

Also Habortown, I absolutely love your cover of Have Mercy
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 7:06 pm

Mae wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv8_LjzAuAg

Here comes my man. Really loving this song at the moment. Just woke up the other day and decided to record this so hope you like it!

great cover! I like it!
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 7:42 am

Mae wrote:
Also Habortown, I absolutely love your cover of Have Mercy
Thank you!
It's probably my favorite cover I've ever recorded.

I really really love your cover too, you've got a fantastic voice. Deep but smooth.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Way to ignore me
Back to top Go down
zombietime
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
zombietime

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 4:40 pm

your self-deprication and attention-seeking is annoying.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 6:28 am

JimmyB wrote:
Way to ignore me
You need vocal and guitar lessons, badly.

There, un-ignored. You simply have a lot to work on. Why do you keep playing music? A better question is why do you keep playing music if you're not even gonna TRY to improve? I mean I'm fairly lazy and I've never been the type of musician to practice scales for 30 minutes a day but I still try to analyze my musicianship and better myself where I can.

You're not good. If you want to sound good, if you want people to appreciate your music, you need to get better. That's the honest truth.
That being said, if you enjoy playing, who gives a shit? If you like playing music then keep playing.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 10:13 pm

I quit. I'm never going to get any better at anything. Why do I even keep thinking I'm worth anything at all? I'm just a no talent hack who should have never picked up a guitar.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 5:41 am

Jimmy Jimmy Jim Bob. You are a good guitar player and need a bit of work on your vocals. If I had quit the first time I had criticism then I would have never improved. I sucked big time when I first started playing, but I found my voice somewhere and discovered 'you know what I can do a decent job with this style of song etc'.

Your voice sounds quite soft like guys like Elliot Smith of Sufjan Stevens, have a look at their styles and see if it is something you can replicate. From this side view video I can also see that there is a lot of strain going on in your neck, this is because you aren't breathing properly. Check out some youtube videos or books on breathing technique, you will be amazed by the difference.

I am a firm believer that anyone can make themselves into a good singer but the worst thing you can do is try to replicate someone who has a totally different voice to you, you will make slow progress. Find your voice, record yourself, listen back and analyse the mistakes, that way you will become a better musician.

Don't tag your videos with a negative introduction, don't film them from the side or below, I like a side angle in which you don't address the camera directly. Get an audio interface, learn how to edit your voice and criticise your own music and improve.

It sounds like something that you want, and thats the main thing, if you have that you can achieve it. So go and slave away for hours like I have done, like all your favourite singers have done and don't be so self deprecating. If it was easy we would all be on stage every night with a loyal fanbase, but thats the beauty of it, its a rare and amazing talent when someone can sing, play and write amazing songs and thats why we all pay so much to go and see it.

Keep it up Jimmy.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 10:06 am

Holland wrote:
*Your voice sounds quite soft like guys like Elliot Smith of Sufjan Stevens

**From this side view video I can also see that there is a lot of strain going on in your neck, this is because you aren't breathing properly.
*Definitely

**Agreed. It's easy to sort of elongate your neck and tilt your head upwards when you try to sing high notes but that doesn't work. I only recently learned that and sometimes I still do it automatically.

also ANNUAL REMINDER that HOLLAND SHOULD UPLOAD HIS GOD DAMN LADYKILLER COVER AGAIN
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 11:55 am

Ask an ye shall receive!!

https://soundcloud.com/hollsteady/holland-ladykiller-originally-by-the-horrible-crowes
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 7:20 am

DUDE! Yes!!

Could you put it up for download or PM me the file? I'd love to have it on my phone.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 2:40 pm

I have put all my covers up for download now!!

I would be honoured if you put it on your phone!!
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 8:10 am

Looked up Elliot smith. Sigh, not my taste of music.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 8:43 am

JimmyB wrote:
Looked up Elliot smith. Sigh, not my taste of music.

Its not all about taste though. If you really want to be a singer/songwriter then you need to find your own style of singing. I used the guys I recommended as they have a softer tone of voice that I think is similar to yours not because I thought they would suddenly be your favourite band.

I gave you a fairly lengthy and positive bit of advice and you have obviously done some hard work to find the one negative thing you could say about it.

The point I was trying to make is: Don't spend hours trying to sing a type of song that doesn't suit your voice

I started singing when I was about 15 or 16 and I was listening to....DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL! I was tying to sing like that guy and failing miserably. His tone and register are probably closer to female than male so you can imagine the struggle. I wasted hours trying to replicate it but it didn't work.

Just try some softer folky stuff and work on breathing technique and you will improve a lot I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 9:19 am

I only meant that as, I'm a rock guy. Granted my asthma has been making my voice difficult to use to sing. I was half asleep when I posted that again. I've played around with audio editing software, and I've done decent work with that before. I have played around with stuff like "city of New Orleans", a lot of cash stuff, and Willis Nelson stuff.

I know I can do a lot of the Eagles material well, like Peaceful easy feeling, take it easy, and hotel California. In high school, I was in tenor for the choir groups, and I did do a cover of pretty woman for "jazz night"- ( don't ask me how I managed to talk my music teacher into that).
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 10:58 am

Ok I see, but I think that classifying yourself in that way only puts boundaries on yourself. I have had asthma all of my life too, its fairly mild these days but I keep it at bay by exercising A LOT!! And make sure I do cardio. When I stop doing cardio my breathing for singing is effected, I get short of breath quicker and can't control my breathing. Some of the greats such as Frank Sinatra was known for being a great swimmer and could hold his breath for ages. So unless you are already doing it I can't recommend getting to the gym enough!! Really improves lung capacity and breathing control.

Keep working on those style of songs and try to explore the strengths and weaknesses in your voice. I would be happy to give you feedback on stuff if you PM me or post it on here.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 6:56 am

Jimmy, you can be a rock guy and without having to belt it out like Robert Plant or Brian Fallon.

Ryan Adams is a good example. He released a FANTASTIC self titled album two years ago (Holland, I absolutely love your Gimme something good cover) and he doesn't really go crazy with his vocals. It's still a perfectly awesome rock album.

Not that you'll care.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 3:50 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Jimmy, you can be a rock guy and without having to belt it out like Robert Plant or Brian Fallon.

Ryan Adams is a good example. He released a FANTASTIC self titled album two years ago (Holland, I absolutely love your Gimme something good cover) and he doesn't really go crazy with his vocals. It's still a perfectly awesome rock album.

Not that you'll care.

I totally agree with this!! And I am glad you liked the cover. I have been learning loads of Ryan Adams songs for this exact reason. I realised I was actually over singing and over straining a bit based on all the Brian Fallon/Chuck Ragan/Northcote I like to play. But if you listen to Ryan Adams live recordings they are really quiet but the subtlety of his voice is amazing!! This taught me that you don't always have to belt it out.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Yup, it's given me a fair bit of confidence too because I'm by no means a tenor.

That album has also been a pretty big influence in terms of sound. There's that straight forward rock sound that sets the foundation, but beyond that is a dark filter that just makes it sound like...I don't know, night music. It just screams night time to me.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 7:00 pm

yeh I know its got such a nice vibe that album that I can't quite pin down. Its like dark Tom Petty or something. I love the song Kim and Stay with Me, the whole thing is awesome really. I have been obsessively listening to his Carnegie Hall gig and learning all the songs. Its probably my favourite live album ever!
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm only linking it in here to show an example of my covers work again
"Hotel California" https://www.facebook.com/jimmy.braum.7/videos/524781237711319/
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 5:39 am

JimmyB wrote:
I'm only linking it in here to show an example of my covers work again
"Hotel California" https://www.facebook.com/jimmy.braum.7/videos/524781237711319/

I cant listen, maybe because we are not friends on facebook Sad
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 7:11 am

Try it again. I forgot I leave my privacy up, since I have a ton a ton people who like to mock me around my town.

The privacy should be okay now.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 10:11 am

Just says that the link has expired :/
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 5:16 pm

Holland. Let's try this again.

https://www.facebook.com/jimmy.braum.7/posts/524781464377963?pnref=story
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post your own TGA covers here.   Post your own TGA covers here. - Page 29 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Post your own TGA covers here.
Page 29 of 30Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30  Next