DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)

Go down 
+34
clr
Jerseyrain
NYYFAN523
azlisa
Labhras
Emusic
fullcollapse
simo
DiamondSinatra
bringiton
smetz224
bringiton_ty
dmac
OldManShoes3
SubconsciousRitual
Steve70s
NeverTrustAJunkie
MKULTRA
Jack
Michael Hann
Christophe
Harbortown
IrishNameAndAnInjury
steph
Klown
White Man In Hammersmith
saltandburn1967
njguy99
The Angry Johnny Revue
enola
Holland
StitchesOnTheRadio
Shrewsbury_Stars
LuceroDiehard
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 pm

steph wrote:

...or maybe Brian meant that he still views himself as a regular guy and it's creepy to be put up on a pedestal like that and to be treated in a certain way, not that the fans are creepy.

but then, that's the less sensational take on it, so i suppose that doesn't make any sense Rolling Eyes

I was just about to post this thought. I think Brian finds it creepy to be idolized, not necessarily that the fans doing the idolizing are creepy. But that's just my take on it. No one can speak for Brian, and we don't know if his words were taken out of context or how editing was done.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:42 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
steph wrote:

...or maybe Brian meant that he still views himself as a regular guy and it's creepy to be put up on a pedestal like that and to be treated in a certain way, not that the fans are creepy.

but then, that's the less sensational take on it, so i suppose that doesn't make any sense Rolling Eyes

I was just about to post this thought. I think Brian finds it creepy to be idolized, not necessarily that the fans doing the idolizing are creepy. But that's just my take on it. No one can speak for Brian, and we don't know if his words were taken out of context or how editing was done.

I can see Fallon taking the Vedder route and basically stopping talking to the media on a whole...lets see how people deal with that one...The man is human. End of. How do you take a few columns worth of info, from a 30 minute interview. You can't. It's why I don't bother with printed media. It's all about how the journalist wants to try and sell his product via sales, website hits, whatever. Wouldn't get much attention if it was a boring article.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:48 pm

steph wrote:

I totally see that point. And I'm sure that he doesn't mean to be offensive but saying that something someone does is creepy, kind of calls them creepy. Even if it's unintentional. Like if a 40 year old dude hits on a 16 year old, what he's doing is creepy, therefore his actions make him creepy. I'm trying really hard not to overreact and there's always another side so I try to keep that in mind but sometimes it gets frustrating.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:48 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
Shelby is the kind of girl I would keep away from when she is mad. I feel like when she is angry.....she turns green.
Shelby is the kind of girl I would never keep away from The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Daydream
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:49 pm

steph wrote:

Exactly! At least that's what I read out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:50 pm

ffs, he said "that's creepy" not "they are creepy", clearly he meant the act of being idolized or put on some kind of pedestal, nothing about the fans.

Last edited by steph on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:50 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
steph wrote:

I totally see that point. And I'm sure that he doesn't mean to be offensive but saying that something someone does is creepy, kind of calls them creepy. Even if it's unintentional. Like if a 40 year old dude hits on a 16 year old, what he's doing is creepy, therefore his actions make him creepy. I'm trying really hard not to overreact and there's always another side so I try to keep that in mind but sometimes it gets frustrating.

What about a 23 year old guy hitting on a 17 year old girl who looks like 21 but then it turns out they aren't 21?
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

Harbortown wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
Shelby is the kind of girl I would keep away from when she is mad. I feel like when she is angry.....she turns green.
Shelby is the kind of girl I would never keep away from The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Daydream

You have a great point there John Harbster. Probably the greatest point made in this thread all ay.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:52 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
steph wrote:

What about a 23 year old guy hitting on a 17 year old girl who looks like 21 but then it turns out they aren't 21?

Not creepy Smile
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:52 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:

We can discuss your problem in the romance thread Razz
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

saltandburn1967 wrote:
steph wrote:

Take it to the romance issues thread, Chris. Rolling Eyes Razz
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:00 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
steph wrote:

Perfectly natural although illegal in some countries.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:31 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

You have a great point there John Harbster. Probably the greatest point made in this thread all ay.

Razz

But really, thanks for breaking up the tension on this thread. Things get too heated on here sometimes!

Back to top Go down
Michael Hann
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Dear Shelby,
I'm the writer of the article. I saw your post on the thread beneath it, below is my reply. You were clearly upset enough that I thought it worth seeking you out in case you didn't return to the Guardian thread.
Best,
Michael

Hey, I'm sorry. I was watching the front row all evening; I'm a lot older than 21 and if I got your ages wrong it is not out of malice, it's out of the same impulse that makes me think policemen are getting younger.

I meant no insult at all to any of you. I know what it is to love a band - music writers do; it's why we become music writers. And I find it incredibly moving to see that devotion on display. I don't see anything wrong with that love, and it seemed to me to be very focussed on Brian Fallon. That is all I meant; no insult was intended. Apologies.

Now, as for the creepy bit … The band are obviously torn: a lot of our conversation steered itself - not at my behest - to their desire to remain approachable, but balancing that with the fact they are more and more popular and more and more people want to approach them. It's an almost impossible conundrum. To be an ordinary person you must be available to them; if you are available to them you become, necessarily, a celebrity, and you cease to be an ordinary person. Don't be angry at them for feeling caught.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:39 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

Razz

But really, thanks for breaking up the tension on this thread. Things get too heated on here sometimes!

Now for that other tension...

The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Usa_01b
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Michael Hann wrote:
Dear Shelby,
I'm the writer of the article. I saw your post on the thread beneath it, below is my reply. You were clearly upset enough that I thought it worth seeking you out in case you didn't return to the Guardian thread.
Best,
Michael

Hey, I'm sorry. I was watching the front row all evening; I'm a lot older than 21 and if I got your ages wrong it is not out of malice, it's out of the same impulse that makes me think policemen are getting younger.

I meant no insult at all to any of you. I know what it is to love a band - music writers do; it's why we become music writers. And I find it incredibly moving to see that devotion on display. I don't see anything wrong with that love, and it seemed to me to be very focussed on Brian Fallon. That is all I meant; no insult was intended. Apologies.

Now, as for the creepy bit … The band are obviously torn: a lot of our conversation steered itself - not at my behest - to their desire to remain approachable, but balancing that with the fact they are more and more popular and more and more people want to approach them. It's an almost impossible conundrum. To be an ordinary person you must be available to them; if you are available to them you become, necessarily, a celebrity, and you cease to be an ordinary person. Don't be angry at them for feeling caught.

Hey (oh wow am I that easy to find on the internet? scary). I got back to you on there. It's all cool. I appreciate your response as I said on there. And thanks actually for posting this on here. I think your insight from talking to them can maybe help the rest of us get a better perspective on it, myself included.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:59 pm

I thought this was by far the most telling quote of the article:

"If I wrote a book it would be called one of two things: They're Not Your Friends or It's Not Your Band."
Back to top Go down
Michael Hann
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Hey (oh wow am I that easy to find on the internet? scary). I got back to you on there. It's all cool. I appreciate your response as I said on there. And thanks actually for posting this on here. I think your insight from talking to them can maybe help the rest of us get a better perspective on it, myself included.

I thought there was a fighting chance you might be on their forum, and lo!

A couple of other things … Someone upthread suggested it was a standard half-hour interview. I had two and a half hours of recorded interviews.

Also, I've seen either here or on the RS thread some suggestion that they wanted to be huge; they've rowed back a bit from that. I have one quote on that, which it seems reasonable to share. Forgive the typos - it's just copied from my transcript.

"In the beginning of this record, in Maarch time, we were doing a lot of interviews, and people were like: So you guys are on a major label. You guys wanna play arenas? And I was like hell yeah! Arenas! And now I’m like, please God don’t let us get to arenas. I just wanna keep playing normal sizer venues. Because I don’t know what to do. It would be crazy. We’d be hidden, we’d have security guards."

Anyway, goodnight to you all.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:08 pm

and the countdown to people calling them hypocrites begins...now.

but seriously, thanks for sharing, Michael Hann! Smile
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Michael Hann wrote:

I thought there was a fighting chance you might be on their forum, and lo!

A couple of other things … Someone upthread suggested it was a standard half-hour interview. I had two and a half hours of recorded interviews.

Also, I've seen either here or on the RS thread some suggestion that they wanted to be huge; they've rowed back a bit from that. I have one quote on that, which it seems reasonable to share. Forgive the typos - it's just copied from my transcript.

"In the beginning of this record, in Maarch time, we were doing a lot of interviews, and people were like: So you guys are on a major label. You guys wanna play arenas? And I was like hell yeah! Arenas! And now I’m like, please God don’t let us get to arenas. I just wanna keep playing normal sizer venues. Because I don’t know what to do. It would be crazy. We’d be hidden, we’d have security guards."

Anyway, goodnight to you all.

Haha good call. Thanks for sharing that. I think it's hard when we read these things and don't know the entirety of the conversation (which of course you can't exactly provide if it's 2 and a half hours!). People over-react (I've been trying not to for awhile but obviously I lost that battle for a bit) because we get only a portion of the story and we've been getting the same portion multiple times now.

You've been a lot of help! Thanks!

Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:12 pm

steph wrote:

and the countdown to people calling them hypocrites begins...now.

but seriously, thanks for sharing, Michael Hann! Smile

lol!
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:31 pm

See....all it takes is a note from the author to set things right.

Isn't the internet amazing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 am

So the basic consensus of this thread is that Brian is creeped out by the act of being put on a pedestal and that Shelby's cute?
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 1:19 am

Matt L wrote:
So the basic consensus of this thread is that Brian is creeped out by the act of being put on a pedestal and that Shelby's cute?

Basically.

I have to say...I'm glad I read this article, because Brian has never voiced his opinion on fan relations.

Seriously, this is the same guy that (before he met Eddie Vedder) said excitedly on a radio interview, "Ohhh and I bet he's a nice guy, too!" That's (generally speaking) all any fan of any band wants. We want to think that the people in the band are generally nice guys. Hey, Brian, you also wrote a love letter to Joe Strummer in the form of a song that some might find "creepy". Relax, dude.

And I know it's not the same thing, but I go outside and talk to audience members after a performance of a play. Every night. I had one off night where I needed to be alone, but even then I sucked it up enough to just say hi to the people that wanted to talk to me. I've had weird dudes follow me around afterward and girls hanging too close for comfort, but it's not a big deal, because MOST PEOPLE AREN'T LIKE THAT. They just want to show appreciation for your art. That's it.

EDIT: Also, am I reading that wrong or did he refer to Hot Water Music as part of the NJ punk scene?
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 3:06 am

Michael Hann wrote:

To me, everyone needs to pay attention to this, it won't sell a paper, or get a hit on a website if it was printed like this. It's a boring headline, that sells more dressed up in more seductive clothing to entice you in and read the rest of the article, but that headline already has it's hook in you and it's in your head for the rest of the article, you then pick out what you want to read and focus on. Some people need to get a bit of perspective in their lives, it's easy to get sucked up in more than the music, I've seen it happen, it's sad, it ruins the music. But, as people are happier to over-react and forget this paragraph that tells the true story of what was said, then what can you do? People fall prey to the media far too easily, here's another example of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)   The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Gaslight Anthem Tweet Claifies Recent Media Coverage (formerly Fans Look Up to Us : Creepy)
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next