DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Handwritten' music video thread.

Go down 
+49
Harbortown
theBasemen
Jerseyrain
40 Miler
azlisa
Jeff
Midnight Rambler
rgillies
ral
NYYFAN523
ghosttocoast
kirstyt
Camus
Big D
COCO
gtalbott
Tusseto
JJW319
simo
Klown
Breanne
DeathoftheCool
A_Regular
Bea
Velocity
kevin_slack
IKeeptheDiner
steady now steady now
DiamondSinatra
enola
White Man In Hammersmith
IrishNameAndAnInjury
StitchesOnTheRadio
Jack
JimmyB
plugga
NeverTrustAJunkie
Daire
Debonair
Holland
The Angry Johnny Revue
njguy99
saltandburn1967
bringiton
acousticbandit
jdc
Shrewsbury_Stars
thomas94
Erik Drost
53 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
kevin_slack
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Thank you all for the tremendous support for the Handwritten video. It is now live and available for everyone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-rEslupnY

Please go out there and share it with everyone you know! thanks again. I don't check this site super often but I'm regularly on twitter if you want to talk or ask me anything about the video/band @kevin_slack

thanks again everyone

ps yes that is Benny in a sweet sweet ponytail in the final shot Wink

cheers
Kevin
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 1:42 pm

kevin_slack wrote:
Thank you all for the tremendous support for the Handwritten video. It is now live and available for everyone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-rEslupnY

Please go out there and share it with everyone you know! thanks again. I don't check this site super often but I'm regularly on twitter if you want to talk or ask me anything about the video/band @kevin_slack

thanks again everyone

ps yes that is Benny in a sweet sweet ponytail in the final shot Wink

cheers
Kevin

I tweeted you, but let me reiterate how amazing this turned out and how honored I am to be a part of this. Can't wait to see the extended version. Any word on that release date?
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 pm

I absolutely love that Brian has "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" on his hand during the "favorite song" line
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 8:13 am

I finally watched it - wow. Just brilliant. I don't care that it doesn't match up perfectly with the lyrics. There's so much heart and energy, and a very clear story with well-developed characters. That's what a music video should be!
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 3:10 pm

The video is totally cute. Now I love the song even more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 3:56 pm

I've already said how much I love this video, but I wanted to break down everything in a more analytical way, if only because I think everything that went into this is awesome.

Long stuff:
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:05 pm

I assumed he went to war and died there, is this correct?
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:10 pm

A_Regular wrote:

No. The singer comes back and buys the vinyl when he's old. You can tell it's him because of the lighter.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:16 pm

A_Regular wrote:
huh? who died?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:18 pm

He's talking about Tyler. Now that I think about it, Tyler probably did die in the Vietnam war, which explains his father's reaction and the dreariness of his room, as well as why he never comes back. Good catch.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:21 pm

i thought that guy - the on in the room where there's a box that reads 'Tyler's room', the same guy who gives Tommy the record -, was Tyler when he's older, when he comes back to the house he grew up in after many years..

EDIT: oh wait, never mind i've misread the whole thing, you guys are right xD

Last edited by Bea on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Honestly I was really confused by that part, but I looked at the scene over and over and I really think that's still Tyler's father.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:26 pm

yeah it's Tyler's dad, so you're right, Tyler probably died...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Bea wrote:
yeah it's Tyler's dad, so you're right, Tyler probably died...

Yeah, so the scene that broke me so much is now even worse Razz

I can't wait for the full short. It's going to be brilliant.
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:36 pm

I completely missed that but that makes sense now. I had interpreted the father to be Tyler when older and giving the record to the neighbor boy but now when I watch it again and he is saying good-bye and leaving with a bag and then the father is looking through his son's belongings and trying to pass something on to the next generation, Tyler must have died in the war. That's so sad.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:46 pm

It took a couple views before I put the pieces together, but I agree - it's Tyler's dad going through his son's stuff and passing it along.

Great analysis, Matt. I agree with you 100%. You can't help but choke up at certain points. Within just a few frames, the entire story and emotion is conveyed and it hits you hard.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 6:34 pm

My friend and I felt that some of Brian's "sitting on a chair, making exaggerated hand gestures and faces" reminded us of Eddie Vedder in the "Jeremy" video. Again, Brian isn't trying to look menacing and crazy as there is a completely different feel and purpose to the song and the video, but Brian loves that band too much to make me think that there wasn't some subconscious emulation.

Also kind of interesting if you connect the band not wanting to be in the video and feeling "forced" by the label to the fact that Pearl Jam did not do a video after Jeremy for years, and when they did, they weren't in it.

Thankfully, Brian never made this face.
'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Captur10
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Prisoner wrote:
A_Regular wrote:

No. The singer comes back and buys the vinyl when he's old. You can tell it's him because of the lighter.

Nevermind. I don't know why I wrote that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 7:13 pm

jdc wrote:
My friend and I felt that some of Brian's "sitting on a chair, making exaggerated hand gestures and faces" reminded us of Eddie Vedder in the "Jeremy" video. Again, Brian isn't trying to look menacing and crazy as there is a completely different feel and purpose to the song and the video, but Brian loves that band too much to make me think that there wasn't some subconscious emulation.

Also kind of interesting if you connect the band not wanting to be in the video and feeling "forced" by the label to the fact that Pearl Jam did not do a video after Jeremy for years, and when they did, they weren't in it.

The thing is, was it ever decided if they were forced or suggested? I know the comment that was said suggests that it was forced, but it sounded a bit more facetious than serious. Benny was the one who came up with the video idea, after-all. Maybe the label just suggested that it'd be best if they were in it as well, and the guys joked that they were "forced" in.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Looking at it from the labels perspective (how un-punk of me!) they want people to start associating their faces with the music. Once people start recognizing the guys of the band (obviously we already do, but the average joe may not) then they will most-likely have a little more freedom as far as being in their own videos or not.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Matt L wrote:
jdc wrote:

The thing is, was it ever decided if they were forced or suggested? I know the comment that was said suggests that it was forced, but it sounded a bit more facetious than serious. Benny was the one who came up with the video idea, after-all. Maybe the label just suggested that it'd be best if they were in it as well, and the guys joked that they were "forced" in.

Completely agree. Just thought it was amusing that some of Brian's motions reminded me of those of a singer he loves, in what was the last music video he starred in, when Brian and the band did not necessarily desire to be in this video. Not trying to make a bigger deal out of it than it is.
Back to top Go down
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Breanne

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 12:55 am

when Brian looks up and sings "I'm in love with the way you're in love with the night"...I melt
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xripped_kneesx
kevin_slack
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Dimestoresainters in action   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 2:39 pm

I hope this works....

Here is a photo that our on set photographer Ryan took on set. I'm not sure who is who but pretty sure a few of you are in this crowd. Also I just saw his edit of the behind the scenes video and you guys are in it and one of you even gets an interview bite in it. Not sure who, but it is a guy with dark hair who was wearing a denim type shirt.

Anyways hope this photo works! I'll be at Webster Hall tonight, so if you see me come say hi. Have fun tonight

https://i.servimg.com/u/f48/17/68/07/85/img_4811.jpg
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 4:49 am

Handwritten "making of" video is up!

http://www.spinner.com/2012/07/26/gaslight-anthem-making-of-handwritten-video/

(edited because it's a making-of-song video, not making of video video..)

Last edited by njguy99 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 5:18 am

kevin_slack wrote:
I hope this works....

Here is a photo that our on set photographer Ryan took on set. I'm not sure who is who but pretty sure a few of you are in this crowd. Also I just saw his edit of the behind the scenes video and you guys are in it and one of you even gets an interview bite in it. Not sure who, but it is a guy with dark hair who was wearing a denim type shirt.

Anyways hope this photo works! I'll be at Webster Hall tonight, so if you see me come say hi. Have fun tonight

https://i.servimg.com/u/f48/17/68/07/85/img_4811.jpg

Thanks, Kevin, not only for making great videos, but also for contributing to the forum. Long may both continue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Handwritten' music video thread.   'Handwritten' music video thread. - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Handwritten' music video thread.
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next