DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the book corner

Go down 
+42
A_Regular
DeathoftheCool
StitchesOnTheRadio
redheadchick
sickgirl
plugga
ThisMachineKillsFascists
simo
HorribleCrowe
Debonair
steph
loazis
Harbortown
IrishNameAndAnInjury
JimmyB
Camus
redd
KittyKat
I Came To Dance
massie1903
Emyr
Deeper Shade of Blue
Mandacarallo!
stupendoussven
andy.mac
tigrr13
ktp
Vibes
steady now steady now
dolan
kieran
Refused
Jukebox Romeo
Stalls_Standing
e7c
isthisreal
hostutca
Breanne
ambrose
billy pilgrim
liveit
Forum Owner
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

the book corner - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:03 pm

I have heard of the book before, never read it though. I almost got a Stephen King book taken away from me on a Church Trip. Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:04 pm

JimmyB wrote:
I have heard of the book before, never read it though. I almost got a Stephen King book taken away from me on a Church Trip. Shocked Laughing
Because your friends are crazy and think it's a devil's book?

Also, Outsiders is a great, great book.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

It probably was about the devil Razz
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:06 pm

JimmyB wrote:
You would get a kick out of some of the banned books.
Harry Potter 1-7
The Stand
Cujo
Carrie
Christine
A Wrinkle in Time-Think I read that
Huckelberry Finn

Those are just some

Huck Finn was not banned at my school, racial slurs are not as taboo in the South as they should be, so I read that one. It was good, but I liked Tom Sawyer better.

I also read Cujo, Christine, and Carrie, all of which I liked. Carrie was the first King book I ever read.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

It was when I was still Roman Catholic. It was this trip to a pittsburgh Church for something (I think a preconformation thing), But I digress. I was reading it on the Bus Down, and one of the sisters said something like "You should not be reading that, it is not church approved". My response "Whatever." I read it the rest of the way down. It was The Dark Tower btw (The First book).
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:08 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

It was when I was still Roman Catholic. It was this trip to a pittsburgh Church for something (I think a preconformation thing), But I digress. I was reading it on the Bus Down, and one of the sisters said something like "You should not be reading that, it is not church approved". My response "Whatever." I read it the rest of the way down. It was The Dark Tower btw (The First book).
Haha, right on dude, fuck anyone who tries to tell you what to do.

Unless they're Dimestore Saints and try to give you advice.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Camus wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

lol! That would have been hilarious to get kicked out of a church trip because of a book!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

Whoa, Jimmy rebelled against a nun! Shocked Razz
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:11 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

He'll be reading books about drugs next Razz
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

Yep.

You're going to hell now, Jimmy. Enjoy the eternal fires of Lucifer scorching your feet, heretic.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Camus wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

lol! That would have been hilarious to get kicked out of a church trip because of a book!
I was so tempted to take Harry Potter, because I did not want to go on that trip anyway. It took me away from doing a mock trial thing in school, The food was horrible (Cold mac and Cheese with Chicken tenders on the side, and Cherry Koolaid-I hate Cherry anything), and I hated most of the people who were on that trip anyway. I only went cause I was looking at being held back in Sunday school if I did not go. (Needless to say I stopped going to that church the day after that trip). Would it be acceptable if I said that Nun had it out for me? Not Smacking your knuckles with a steel edged ruler, but still had it out for me?
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Camus wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

Reading about drugs!? Oh the horror! lol!
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Camus wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

Reading about drugs!? Oh the horror! lol!

I was merely trying to keep it on topic, hah
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Anyway back on topic. Anyone ever read The Dark Tower series?
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:15 pm

I'm currently reading Philip Roth as I have to read a fuckload of Jewish fiction for class. If I had to name an overall favorite I'd probably say The Catcher In The Rye (terribly original I know).

Read Rumble Fish and I liked the overall feel of it but it wasn't outstanding.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Oh, I have read Some of Joe Hill's books.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:46 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Already read Catcher...I really didn't care for it.

yeah, wtf jimmy? that was the first book i ever had to read in school that i actually really enjoyed. might have to go read it again, now that i think of it!
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:48 pm

steph wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

yeah, wtf jimmy? that was the first book i ever had to read in school that i actually really enjoyed. might have to go read it again, now that i think of it!
Like I said earlier...the fact I was forced to read it, and forced to write a paper about every 5 chapters kind of made me hate it. Oh, and the fact everyone called me Holden for about 4 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:49 pm

JimmyB wrote:
steph wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

Like I said earlier...the fact I was forced to read it, and forced to write a paper about every 5 chapters kind of made me hate it. Oh, and the fact everyone called me Holden for about 4 weeks.

Why did they call you Holden?
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:49 pm

To go along with Jimmy's Stephen King suggestion, I recommend 11/22/63. It's one of the best books I have ever read. I can't stop thinking about it! Shocked

is it scary? i haven't read any Stephen King before, not sure how/why, but i haven't. i used to LOVE reading scary books when i was a kid- i love the Fear Street series by R.L. Stine. i'm looking for something good and scary like that, but for big girls! cause i'm a big girl now.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:50 pm

JimmyB wrote:
steph wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

:DDDDDDDDDDDDD
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:51 pm

steph wrote:
To go along with Jimmy's Stephen King suggestion, I recommend 11/22/63. It's one of the best books I have ever read. I can't stop thinking about it! Shocked

is it scary? i haven't read any Stephen King before, not sure how/why, but i haven't. i used to LOVE reading scary books when i was a kid- i love the Fear Street series by R.L. Stine. i'm looking for something good and scary like that, but for big girls! cause i'm a big girl now.

It's more of a thriller. Definitely not scary on the level of his horror books, but a bit tense in places.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:51 pm

steph wrote:

Hahha, I totally read the Fear Street series too, Steph.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:54 pm

Camus wrote:
steph wrote:

It's more of a thriller. Definitely not scary on the level of his horror books, but a bit tense in places.

hmm...maybe i'll go with something else of his, then.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:55 pm

steph wrote:

11/22/63 is not blood and guts scary, But it is a book that will eat at your mind. thinking about how one thing you do can change the future...,. Stephen King is not scary as in obviously scary....But his books leave you thinking about it, and with such description, you can see the stuff happening....that scares me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the book corner
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next