DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the book corner

Go down 
+42
A_Regular
DeathoftheCool
StitchesOnTheRadio
redheadchick
sickgirl
plugga
ThisMachineKillsFascists
simo
HorribleCrowe
Debonair
steph
loazis
Harbortown
IrishNameAndAnInjury
JimmyB
Camus
redd
KittyKat
I Came To Dance
massie1903
Emyr
Deeper Shade of Blue
Mandacarallo!
stupendoussven
andy.mac
tigrr13
ktp
Vibes
steady now steady now
dolan
kieran
Refused
Jukebox Romeo
Stalls_Standing
e7c
isthisreal
hostutca
Breanne
ambrose
billy pilgrim
liveit
Forum Owner
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

the book corner - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:56 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:
steph wrote:
IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
To go along with Jimmy's Stephen King suggestion, I recommend 11/22/63. It's one of the best books I have ever read. I can't stop thinking about it! Shocked

is it scary? i haven't read any Stephen King before, not sure how/why, but i haven't. i used to LOVE reading scary books when i was a kid- i love the Fear Street series by R.L. Stine. i'm looking for something good and scary like that, but for big girls! cause i'm a big girl now.

Hahha, I totally read the Fear Street series too, Steph.

they were so good! although it was funny that no matter what sort of evil force or psycho classmate was terrorizing them, the kids never asked their parents for help. haha. R.L. Stine actually wrote 2 or 3 adult novels, i read them a few years back, from what i remember, i liked them.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Camus wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
steph wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
Already read Catcher...I really didn't care for it.

yeah, wtf jimmy? that was the first book i ever had to read in school that i actually really enjoyed. might have to go read it again, now that i think of it!
Like I said earlier...the fact I was forced to read it, and forced to write a paper about every 5 chapters kind of made me hate it. Oh, and the fact everyone called me Holden for about 4 weeks.

Why did they call you Holden?

Because apparently everyone thought I needed Psychoanalized to figure out why I was miserable.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:57 pm

JimmyB wrote:
steph wrote:
To go along with Jimmy's Stephen King suggestion, I recommend 11/22/63. It's one of the best books I have ever read. I can't stop thinking about it! Shocked

is it scary? i haven't read any Stephen King before, not sure how/why, but i haven't. i used to LOVE reading scary books when i was a kid- i love the Fear Street series by R.L. Stine. i'm looking for something good and scary like that, but for big girls! cause i'm a big girl now.
11/22/63 is not blood and guts scary, But it is a book that will eat at your mind. thinking about how one thing you do can change the future...,. Stephen King is not scary as in obviously scary....But his books leave you thinking about it, and with such description, you can see the stuff happening....that scares me.

i know...i am sorry you can't go back in time and save dale earnhardt jr. Crying or Very sad i might read 11/22/63 sometime, but i'm looking for something more scary/horror-ish right now. Smile
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:58 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Camus wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
steph wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
Already read Catcher...I really didn't care for it.

yeah, wtf jimmy? that was the first book i ever had to read in school that i actually really enjoyed. might have to go read it again, now that i think of it!
Like I said earlier...the fact I was forced to read it, and forced to write a paper about every 5 chapters kind of made me hate it. Oh, and the fact everyone called me Holden for about 4 weeks.

Why did they call you Holden?

Because apparently everyone thought I needed Psychoanalized to figure out why I was miserable.

A bit of Freud won't do you any harm. Razz
I'm gonna read The Interpretation of Dreams when I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:59 pm

steph wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
steph wrote:

11/22/63 is not blood and guts scary, But it is a book that will eat at your mind. thinking about how one thing you do can change the future...,. Stephen King is not scary as in obviously scary....But his books leave you thinking about it, and with such description, you can see the stuff happening....that scares me.

i know...i am sorry you can't go back in time and save dale earnhardt jr. Crying or Very sad i might read 11/22/63 sometime, but i'm looking for something more scary/horror-ish right now. Smile

I wish I could suggest something but I'm not a huge fan of horror.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:59 pm

You mean Sr. But back on topic. Go with Salems Lot...One of the Good Vampire novels. No Romantic Vampires...just the good old fashioned Bram Stroker type of Vampire book
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:00 pm

JimmyB wrote:
You mean Sr. But back on topic. Go with Salems Lot...One of the Good Vampire novels. No Romantic Vampires...just the good old fashioned Bram Stroker type of Vampire book

So who was stroking Bram...? Razz
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:01 pm

JimmyB wrote:

i would consider reading a vampire book...as long as it's not "Twilight" ugh. if i'm going to read about vampires, it's not going to be some Mormon suburban housewife's poorly written version.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Salem's lot is great. Pet Sematary is so creepy...i read it once, never reading it again. It involves a Pet Cemetary that brings it's occupants back to life....only evil. So you can guess where this is going huh?
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:07 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Salem's lot is great. Pet Sematary is so creepy...i read it once, never reading it again. It involves a Pet Cemetary that brings it's occupants back to life....only evil. So you can guess where this is going huh?

i've seen the movie, actually. i don't think it scared me much. things like psycho killers like Michael Myers, Jason, etc., scares the crap out of me cause it's real. stuff like zombies, things coming back to life...not nearly as scary, cause i can't get past the fact that it's not possible.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:15 pm

I like the supernatural stuff myself...Since I know It can never happen. Although with the Stand...take away all the biblical and religious mentions...and that could possibly happen at any time.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:18 pm

JimmyB wrote:
I like the supernatural stuff myself...Since I know It can never happen. Although with the Stand...take away all the biblical and religious mentions...and that could possibly happen at any time.

meh...too much religious mentions would completely turn me off. i'll skip that one.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:21 pm

[quote="steph"]
JimmyB wrote:

meh...too much religious mentions would completely turn me off. i'll skip that one. [/quote I mean it is not like the whole book is religious. There are characters that are religious, anre there ones who are atheist, It just follows the whole Good vs evil at the end of the world genre.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Andrew, was that really necessary? As I said in spam, the purpose of this thread was different to the 2 threads from OVER 3 YEARS AGO. There really wasn't any need to merge them.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Camus wrote:
Andrew, was that really necessary? As I said in spam, the purpose of this thread was different to the 2 threads from OVER 3 YEARS AGO. There really wasn't any need to merge them.

It was a joint decision man, I'm sorry for any inconvenience. We are told to keep repeat threads to a minimum.
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Debonair wrote:
Camus wrote:

It was a joint decision man, I'm sorry for any inconvenience. We are told to keep repeat threads to a minimum.

You have changed, since being a mod.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Debonair wrote:
Camus wrote:

I back up Andrew on this...just because the old thread was 3 years ago doesn't mean you can't still post in it.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Debonair wrote:
Camus wrote:

I realise elements of it were repeated, but the main reason for me creating that thread was because I wanted some sort of book club - so it wasn't a repeated thread. And now all that is lost in the midst of old content that no-one really cares about.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:39 pm

I thought we were not supposed to post in old threads without a good reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:40 pm

JimmyB wrote:

there is no rule that says you are not allowed to post in old threads...
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:43 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

It's common sense not to. It's been long-forgotten because people don't want to post in those threads.
So, I'm not allowed to start any new threads on books even if the topic isn't "What are you reading?" That wasn't the point of my thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Camus wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

It's common sense not to. It's been long-forgotten because people don't want to post in those threads.
So, I'm not allowed to start any new threads on books even if the topic isn't "What are you reading?" That wasn't the point of my thread.

you are allowed to start new threads but if there is an existing thread that is similar, we would prefer you use the existing one.

example...if there is a Pearl Jam thread, then there is no reason to start a Eddie Vedder thread.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Mike I added yours and steady nows post to the initial post, so you don't feel like you were forgotten about.

As for other threads on books, if you want to create thread about individual books themselves I don't see the problem with that. But general discussions of books ( recommendations etc.) should be done here.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:47 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
Camus wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

you are allowed to start new threads but if there is an existing thread that is similar, we would prefer you use the existing one.

example...if there is a Pearl Jam thread, then there is no reason to start a Eddie Vedder thread.

You don't seem to understand what I'm getting at. I wanted a thread for a book club. That's different to just a thread on what you're currently reading. No-one else seemed to care that there was a somewhat similar topic 3 years back because mine had a different aim. It seems like the admin power is being used for the sake of using admin power. That's not what it's meant for man.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Debonair wrote:
Mike I added yours and steady nows post to the initial post, so you don't feel like you were forgotten about.

As for other threads on books, if you want to create thread about individual books themselves I don't see the problem with that. But general discussions of books ( recommendations etc.) should be done here.

Cheers Andrew, that's much more useful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the book corner
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next