DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the book corner

Go down 
+42
A_Regular
DeathoftheCool
StitchesOnTheRadio
redheadchick
sickgirl
plugga
ThisMachineKillsFascists
simo
HorribleCrowe
Debonair
steph
loazis
Harbortown
IrishNameAndAnInjury
JimmyB
Camus
redd
KittyKat
I Came To Dance
massie1903
Emyr
Deeper Shade of Blue
Mandacarallo!
stupendoussven
andy.mac
tigrr13
ktp
Vibes
steady now steady now
dolan
kieran
Refused
Jukebox Romeo
Stalls_Standing
e7c
isthisreal
hostutca
Breanne
ambrose
billy pilgrim
liveit
Forum Owner
46 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 2:55 am

I've got a french book on the life of Pierre Bourgault that I have been working on forever! Bourgault was an active Quebec nationalist.

*Admin Note* : Merged 3 previous book threads into one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On page two

Steady Now Steady Now

As part of the TGA feature in the new Rock Sound magazine (see elsewhere on this board), each of the guys answers the question 'The last book you read was?'

Brian: 'The Problem of Pain' by C.S. Lewis
Benny: 'Slam' by Nick Hornby
Alex L.: 'Redemption Song - The Ballad of Joe Strummer' by Chris Salewicz
Alex R.: 'Double Duce' by Aaron Cometbus

So what was the last book YOU read (and if you're embarrassed by that silly thriller you slipped in, then don't mention it ...)?

Here's mine: 'The Genius of Shakespeare' by Jonathan Bate (but prior to that I read 'The Magicians' Guild' by Tudi Cavanan)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On page 3

Camus

A place to talk about all things written!

What's your favourite book? Have you got any books to recommend to others? What are you reading right now?

I thought it would also be quite cool to have a book club of some sort, and then we (those who are interested) can discuss the book we've all just read.
/geek

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 11:31 am

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky and "This is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel J. Levitin
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 4:09 pm

On Beauty by Zadie Smith. It's for a class but I really like it.
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 2:26 am

I am also a Vonnegut fan - Cat's Cradle was my favorite.
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 2:27 am

That's my favorite Vonnegut book so far too, actually. My dad got it for me for Christmas when I was like 14, best thing I got that year.
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 2:30 am

It is great, like how he threw in Bakunin references and many biblical references too. His last book was pretty good as well, I like his style and miss him. What kind of book is On Beauty?
Back to top Go down
ambrose
A Contender
A Contender

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 6:42 pm

Wallflowers is a pretty great book.

I'm reading On the Road, The Bell Jar, AND The Old Man and The Sea right now.
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 6:59 pm

Kropotkin wrote:
It is great, like how he threw in Bakunin references and many biblical references too. His last book was pretty good as well, I like his style and miss him. What kind of book is On Beauty?

It's a reworking of another book called Howard's End, but it's in a contemporary setting, I haven't finished it so I don't know how well the ending matches up, but for the most part it has most of the same themes--social class, etc, only instead of gender being a major issue, it's race.
Back to top Go down
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Breanne

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 9:29 pm

Ahh I love The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, except I let my friend borrow it like a year ago and she never gave it back, and I don't think she ever read it either :/ And now we're not really friends anymore, so I'm sure I'll never see that again. Asshooooooooole.

Tomorrow I'm going to the library to get "Choke" because I want to read it before I go to see the movie.
And after my brother is done reading On The Road, I'll probably read that next.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xripped_kneesx
ambrose
A Contender
A Contender

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 12:07 am

Choke is great.
Back to top Go down
hostutca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 1:36 am

Douglass Coupland "Life After God". I love his style: witty, satirical and introspective.

I am also a big fan of Chuck Palahniuk and Vonnegut as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cnotemu
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 6:49 am

Douglas Coupland is a great writer. I wish I had time to read everything I want to read! Next up for me is maybe a bio of Tchaikovsky.
Back to top Go down
isthisreal
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 8:50 pm

Currently reading 'The Catcher in The Rye' for the first time. So far, it hasn't inspired me to assassinate anyone.

Also reading 'Wuthering Heights' for my English class. Ugh, it's a classic in it's own right, but that doesn't stop it from being dry and boring.
Back to top Go down
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Breanne

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 1:51 am

Over the summer we had to read The Outsiders for school.
I absolutely looooooved it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xripped_kneesx
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 2:50 am

I am about to go to Crete for a week of relaxation and I picked up two books to read... my wife has already made fun of me for getting Randy Couture's autobiography but I also picked up Obama's "Audacity of Hope"... I am hoping his book will convince to vote for him, instead of just voting against McCain.
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Scott, you're an American. Have you met any pro-McCains yet?
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 10:36 am

I'm pro-McCain
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 11:23 am

Hey I started up a US Election thread over in discussion
Back to top Go down
ambrose
A Contender
A Contender

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Stalls_Standing wrote:
Scott, you're an American. Have you met any pro-McCains yet?

i've met way too many.

and e6c, what I've read of The Audacity of Hope is very very well written. The ideas aren't too bad either, it's great to be able to get that perspective from a modern day politician.
Back to top Go down
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
Refused

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 10:21 pm

I'm reading Stephen Fry's autobiography at the moment. I seem to be about half way through, and nothing much has happened! He seems to ramble off on a tangent every now and then but it's still an enjoyable read.
I'm getting Chris Jericho's autobiography for Christmas, really looking forward to giving it a read. Yeah, I'm a wrestling geek.
Back to top Go down
http://acriddissonance.wordpress.com
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 11:03 pm

im reading textts for essays mostly or so it seems thoug I just started Bruce parry's tribe as I loved that series. Thought it would be worth a shot.

I have also recently read the biography of the bassit from blur real good read.
Back to top Go down
isthisreal
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 1:02 pm

I need to pick up Jericho's book. Bret Harts too.

Reading a novel called The Shack by WM Paul Young. It's ok, but too Christian and patronising. It's like being beaten over the head with a bible.
Back to top Go down
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
Refused

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 10:59 am

Jericho's book is pretty cool, really enjoyable.

Started on Charlie Brooker's Dawn Of The Dumb, collection of his writings for the Guardian. Pretty funny stuff so far.
Back to top Go down
http://acriddissonance.wordpress.com
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:00 am

Reading a book by a guy called Ma Jian. He was a bit of a hippy after the cultural revolution and was put under survaliance and everything. So he just got a train to west china and went travelling around real good read so far.
Back to top Go down
dolan
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
dolan

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 6:04 pm

read the book world war z, probably one of the best zombie books ever. It backed by the zombie survival guide which its so thought through its rather unnerving
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

the book corner Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the book corner
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next