DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the book corner

Go down 
+42
A_Regular
DeathoftheCool
StitchesOnTheRadio
redheadchick
sickgirl
plugga
ThisMachineKillsFascists
simo
HorribleCrowe
Debonair
steph
loazis
Harbortown
IrishNameAndAnInjury
JimmyB
Camus
redd
KittyKat
I Came To Dance
massie1903
Emyr
Deeper Shade of Blue
Mandacarallo!
stupendoussven
andy.mac
tigrr13
ktp
Vibes
steady now steady now
dolan
kieran
Refused
Jukebox Romeo
Stalls_Standing
e7c
isthisreal
hostutca
Breanne
ambrose
billy pilgrim
liveit
Forum Owner
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

the book corner - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:15 pm

To go along with Jimmy's Stephen King suggestion, I recommend 11/22/63. It's one of the best books I have ever read. I can't stop thinking about it! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:28 pm

11/22/63 was incredible, and kept me on the edge of my seat, but that's just been blown away by a couple of other books I've just finished.

Are you either you up for a book club type thing or would it have to be a Stephen King book, in Jimmy's case, or not enough time, in Shannon's case? Razz
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:31 pm

Eh, I read mostly stephen King, NASCAR and Railroad related books. So A bookclub is not in the cards for me atm. I loved 11/22/63 as well. First Stephen King book to scare me since Salem's Lot, Salem's lot had me afraid to look out windows at night Laughing
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:41 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Eh, I read mostly stephen King, NASCAR and Railroad related books. So A bookclub is not in the cards for me atm. I loved 11/22/63 as well. First Stephen King book to scare me since Salem's Lot, Salem's lot had me afraid to look out windows at night Laughing

Try books by different authors, I'm sure you'd enjoy them. If you want something shorter so it doesn't eat into your time too much you should try Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut or The Catcher in the Rye by Salinger. There are so many to choose from!
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Already read Catcher...I really didn't care for it.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:44 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Already read Catcher...I really didn't care for it.

Shocked It's so good! Didn't the non-conformity and rebellious side of Caulfield appeal to you at all?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Have you read The Outsiders, Jimmy?
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Maybe it was the fact I was forced to read it and do these reports at the end of the chapter soured my taste for it. I did like The Great Gatsby though. Of Mice and Men was pretty good, and the bit I have read of Macbeth I loved.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Camus wrote:
11/22/63 was incredible, and kept me on the edge of my seat, but that's just been blown away by a couple of other books I've just finished.

Are you either you up for a book club type thing or would it have to be a Stephen King book, in Jimmy's case, or not enough time, in Shannon's case? Razz

I might be interested in a book club. What did you have in mind? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:49 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Maybe it was the fact I was forced to read it and do these reports at the end of the chapter soured my taste for it. I did like The Great Gatsby though. Of Mice and Men was pretty good, and the bit I have read of Macbeth I loved.

Go back and read it again. It'll be completely different now that you don't have to analyse it to write an essay. I had to study Of Mice and Men and hated it by the end, but I've gone back and read it again and it's a seriously brilliant book.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:50 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Camus wrote:

I was hoping for suggestions. Maybe something like Dickens, but that would be pretty tough going. We could give ourselves 3 or 4 weeks to read what we decide on
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:50 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:

What's that one about?
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Camus wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

Try books by different authors, I'm sure you'd enjoy them. If you want something shorter so it doesn't eat into your time too much you should try Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut or The Catcher in the Rye by Salinger. There are so many to choose from!

I have never read either of those, Mike! I have always meant to read The Catcher in the Rye, but just haven't for whatever reason. It was banned when I was in school, and I really should have read every book on the banned list. They are the ones worth reading! Razz
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Yeah, I like Dickens books. Also, not exactly sure if this is bad or not, But I loved That book called "A modest Proposal" I think written by Johnothan Swift. I absolutely Loved how it reeked of sarcasm.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Camus wrote:
Camus wrote:

I was hoping for suggestions. Maybe something like Dickens, but that would be pretty tough going. We could give ourselves 3 or 4 weeks to read what we decide on

I think that time frame would work for me. I have to say, I am not a Dickens fan though. I love A Christmas Carol, but nothing else of his that I've read. I know they're classics, but I could never get into them!
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Camus wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

I have never read either of those, Mike! I have always meant to read The Catcher in the Rye, but just haven't for whatever reason. It was banned when I was in school, and I really should have read every book on the banned list. They are the ones worth reading! Razz

They always are! Have you read Fahrenheit 451? It's a dystopian novel where they burn books to suppress learning Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:55 pm

Camus wrote:
Camus wrote:

I think that time frame would work for me. I have to say, I am not a Dickens fan though. I love A Christmas Carol, but nothing else of his that I've read. I know they're classics, but I could never get into them!

It doesn't have to be Dickens, I've just got two of his that I bought after Christmas Razz Any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:55 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Yeah, I like Dickens books. Also, not exactly sure if this is bad or not, But I loved That book called "A modest Proposal" I think written by Johnothan Swift. I absolutely Loved how it reeked of sarcasm.

I read A Modest Proposal in high school and was THE ONLY ONE in my class to pick up on the satire and sarcasm. Pathetic, right?
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:56 pm

JimmyB wrote:

I've still not read anything by Swift, but that's something I've been meaning to change.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Camus wrote:
Camus wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

They always are! Have you read Fahrenheit 451? It's a dystopian novel where they burn books to suppress learning Evil or Very Mad

I'm familiar with it, but I haven't read it. I have been missing out on very important literature here!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Camus wrote:
stepsandnumbers wrote:

What's that one about?

You haven't read it? It's one of my favorites, and a very easy read. Good movie too!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsiders_(novel)
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:58 pm

You would get a kick out of some of the banned books.
Harry Potter 1-7
The Stand
Cujo
Carrie
Christine
A Wrinkle in Time-Think I read that
Huckelberry Finn

Those are just some
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:00 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:
Camus wrote:
stepsandnumbers wrote:

What's that one about?

You haven't read it? It's one of my favorites, and a very easy read. Good movie too!

I may to buy that one soon then, once I get through the large pile next to my bed. I've finished 6 books since new year so might not be too long.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:01 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:
Camus wrote:
stepsandnumbers wrote:

What's that one about?

I read it in ninth grade but don't remember a whole lot about it. I need to read it again! I just remember liking the greasers more than the socs!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Camus wrote:
stepsandnumbers wrote:
Camus wrote:
stepsandnumbers wrote:

What's that one about?

I may to buy that one soon then, once I get through the large pile next to my bed. I've finished 6 books since new year so might not be too long.

Haha, right on. S.E. Hinton is a great author. Rumble Fish, Tex, That Was Then This is Now, they're all great. I read them all in junior high, and that's the "main" age group they're directed at, teenagers, but I still like them now. They're easy to relate to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the book corner
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next