DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
+279
Ashburtongeorge
Lastoftheindependents
emenius
~Aaron~
NotLikeWeBleed
Johnny 99
Hombie
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
TLRRescue
tigerstrom29
AngryRyan
gchestney
aaron0vt
Smasha13
Leigh
GaslightInspired
scottydontno
pleasepassthesoup
Forum Owner
23Punk
Aregular_89
jzancan
mwh
TheScottWillzAnthem
Hanswurst
CroyBhoy1981
Blues With the Dogs
DeathoftheCool
Jersey-Chris
LiveFastDieOld
BereasaTGA
kimmy
Anya_TGA
zerb012345
SpaceEcho34
Thunder_Road
FrankieG
kappanera
beckiee1993
jonester
Italian__Fallon
The Last Jukebox Romeo
cdala
EveryLittleSecret
HolyBreakOfDay
rdghst
FelixMA
BuddyHolly
Definitely_Josef
virginiasheart
Andy_
DianaAntonia
thgilsag_mehtna
DiamondSinatra
bringiton_ty
rsi1991
Paddy
GaslightFletch
Lexicon
OllieC
matkins
SubconsciousRitual
The Cool
wedidwhenyoung
keepsake
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Xanthias
jgardz
aussieTGAfan
JamesLUFC
Emusic
NYYFAN523
gking92
DryCounty
CapedAvenger
CasanovaBaby90
Try Me
Chesser19
Greenlizard
Chappers
OldManShoes3
moconnell23
Nothingman
TheSultanOfSwing
mrlisc2
A_Regular
Mr.Grieves
numnutz78
snakester
RaquelWaltz
Velocity
kayla_tga
nzappia90
StitchesOnTheRadio
Breanne
saltandburn1967
VanillaMintFusion
White Man In Hammersmith
TheContender
HighLonesome
Paula
redheadchick
'49mercury
AGoodTime
deadmanstown
marcsnitz
sonsofregret
Heart_Strings
gaslightsofie
AmSlang59
enola
clemsn78
Miles
rgillies
Steve70s
Keeb631
Don Carlo
EmmaMary
BobbyBaseball
Fiddler
Jerseyrain
nomad677
CharlotteGaslight
rumham
waltzingseñora
Matilda Noir
nebraska
J_Bizness
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Tobbo
33rpm
thealarmist
Blue_Collar_Man
mirrorenigma
spgilbert
Pel.71
Phil Rockabill
stayFree
I am Incinerator
StopAndSlideToTheRight
RememberLikeWeWereAlive
03aarm
The Angry Johnny Revue
joshyboytyler
kateoflowerchelsea
kkent16
Johnxazn
\m/aria
ashleybb
Harbortown
johnnyk748
hey yellow
Fat C
Matty-E
Simon
Know Your Borders
Gaslight23
UK Ellie
knuckles
Hemingway
No_Direction
NeverTrustAJunkie
gaslightom
Shrewsbury_Stars
Zeebs07
brianisbae
spork13
casanova15
fullcollapse
Henriflame
chickenman
Pants
concresence
theBasemen
GraveRobbers
JimmyB
Ghost
Kosburn59
ozfacter
Seldini
CASANOVA, BILLY!
Jessii
Christophe
summy
JJW319
Regarded
gp
Dwizza
bish
wonderson189
QueenOfTheBronx
azlisa
SmilinSkullRing
Philo
LuceroDiehard
amberfoyd
steffuhnee
oli1980
sidekicksuicide
randomhero78
ExitEnglish
tgatom
Jaywalk
its_lesleyanne
MKULTRA
JoeHamling
B701
cristinaevelyn
jward326
Reinvent good times
vamike
Turn the Casanova On
kuruptlon
Jay
rem999
torbar
Tailschao
Bea
bringiton
stayhungry
bobbyjames
pricegrabber
Casey
Izzy Eviel
Jeff
IKeeptheDiner
loazis
DaveSavedTheDay
borrowedcar
dapperdecembrist
mostly_harmless
matt even
nuwbuddy
dmac
RobertODonnell
andy.mac
Maureen973
thecosmickid
scousertommy
RunawaySmile
Holland
noble_man
redd
KittyKat
ral
Deeper Shade of Blue
carson
massie1903
Refused
Palmer89
Emyr
simo
tdawg
bradcooke
Stevearm
TGAFAN25
twistednightmare
Dan_Dog
steady now steady now
kcdc
Scott
lynchyeatspizza
tomttt
I Came To Dance
ktp
Snap
hostutca
surfNJ
Kristi
kieran
Norb
Luca Chinaski
JoshRaymond
Prisoner
steph
LBAZ
e7c
Jukebox Romeo
283 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Tailschao
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Another one with BTX to thank here. Saw quite a few mentions of them from different people over there, so I thought hey I can at least wiki them. TBH it was the section of the wiki page for the 59 Sound album with the press reviews on the right-hand side that got me - I was surprised to see them all so high, especially for a band's second ever album. It was enough to get me to download the 59 sound (Illigally How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_pirat, at first ), and... well. Here I am. As has been said in this thread before, no other 'modern' band has got me quite like they have. Don't get me wrong, I like a decent enough amount, but not to their extent.

And, incidentally, they helped in getting me into Frank Turner too. I heard him mentioned somewhere else and was like... where have I heard that name before? Oh yeah, he supported TGA on some fo their US shows! So I checked him out too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: guest   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 9:52 pm

I got a text message that said, "hey... we're playing in the city tonight. you should come"
Back to top Go down
torbar
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 4:00 pm

A friend and I were at Warped Tour, in early August 2007 in Englishtown NJ to see Bad Religion and another couple of bands.
We were walking around killing time and this guy comes up, comments on how he likes my Bad Religion shirt, and how a Bad Religion fan would like this book he wrote called "New Brunswick, New Jersey, Goodbye: Bands, Dirty Basements, and the Search for Self". It's about him in the early 90's NJ punk scene, and he was selling copies for like, 10 bucks, and it came with a compilation of a bunch of NJ punk bands, so I decided to buy it.
The book was a great book, and I put the compilation on my iPod. I was listening to it at school a month later and 1930 came on, and I was instantly hooked. I downloaded Sink or Swim, loved it, bought it, bought SATQ when it came out, bought The '59 Sound, and plan to buy American Slang.
Back to top Go down
rem999
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
rem999

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 11:46 pm

Me and my buddies took a drive one night from New Brunswick where we go to school to Philly to get some steaks. Five of us were jampacked into a 1990 Toyota Camry and were blasting music (Ted Leo, Streetlight Manifesto, Weezer etc.). The kid riding shotgun grabbed the ipod and put on "1930". I immediately asked what band was that and he replied "The Gaslight Anthem. They're soooooooo good." I've been listening to them everyday ever since.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 11:56 pm

rem999 wrote:
Me and my buddies took a drive one night from New Brunswick where we go to school to Philly to get some steaks. Five of us were jampacked into a 1990 Toyota Camry and were blasting music (Ted Leo, Streetlight Manifesto, Weezer etc.). The kid riding shotgun grabbed the ipod and put on "1930". I immediately asked what band was that and he replied "The Gaslight Anthem. They're soooooooo good." I've been listening to them everyday ever since.

That is a good friend! Is he on the forum yet?
Back to top Go down
rem999
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
rem999

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 12:03 am

e7c wrote:
rem999 wrote:

That is a good friend! Is he on the forum yet?

No, i don't believe so. I'll tell him to join though.
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 am

Randomly on itunes about a month after Senor and the Queen came out. I heard Blue Jeans and it was just one of those moments...I bought the entire catalogue without even listening to anything else by them...:p
Back to top Go down
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 9:21 am

I was watching some of the Hanging Out On E Street videos because I'm a fan of Mat Kearney and wanted to hear his version of Atlantic City.

I decided to check out some of the other videos and saw brian's rendition of Backstreets. I was incredibly blown away by the version but there was just something about brian's presence that made me want to see what he was all about.

Checked the myspace, and got the album immediately.
Back to top Go down
Turn the Casanova On
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Turn the Casanova On

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 9:33 am

While I was going through my "I only listen to Metallica and Iron Maiden" phase, I always made fun of the bands my older brother listened to, including TGA. As I began expanding my horizons musically, I gave a lot of those bands another listen, and well, here we are.
Back to top Go down
AgainstY

PostSubject: soundtrack to a summer   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:00 am

Summer 2008. Whitby, the North Yorkshire coast, UK.

Me and my mate were both working at this tourist filled seafood restaurant, and we used to pass the time on lunch breaks and even during shifts by reading rock magazines like Kerrang, Big Cheese or Rock Sound. On the back of one of the latter (i think it was Rock Sound) there was an advertisement for the '59 Sound. which was being released that month... i think it was June over here.

Neither of us had heard them, but my mate had read something about them and he said they had got quite a positive review. There was something about that advert that just sort of struck in that moment in time. We were working, it was sunny and warm, there was a sort of clamour for better times, and this pic of Brian Fallon and co just seemed to fit, as though their music would make things all right.. A week later I was in a Middlesbrough record store and i picked up two copies of the '59 sound for me and my mate. A couple of days later we were at work and we were both like "this band is amazing, they're gonna go far."

The '59 Sound was the soundtrack to my Summer 2008. no doubt.
Stay lucky, kids.
Back to top Go down
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson
vamike

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:26 am

saw SOS on Fat Mike's top ten 2007 albums, downloaded it in Dezember 2007 and fell in love with it.
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 11:14 am

They were listed on ALL of 2008's Best Year-end Music lists, from Alt Press to
Punknews to some other snobby sites that still liked them. WHen EVERYONE has them on their year end lists, you're compelled to at least check them out. Not that many people can be wrong. .....And I
was hooked. I had 59 and SoS with in 2 weeks in Jan 2009.
Back to top Go down
jward326
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
jward326

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 1:41 pm

2006 I was stationed in South Korea sitting in my dorm room dying to hear something new. started searching for bands with a sound similar to what I was into at the time ( I think I searched Social Distortion) and came across them.. also not knowing at the time they used to be this charming man who I had been rocking on the Ipod. Anyways checked them out dug their sound and Brian used to have his AIM screen name up so being bored I sent him a message told him I dug his band and got some info so I could order some stuff from him. Ordered a T-shirt and they sent a whole box of stuff to me over seas. Pretty awesome dude. Still rockin and love this band.
Back to top Go down
cristinaevelyn
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
cristinaevelyn

PostSubject: discovery   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 11:47 am

I was driving along one day and I heard the line "old 55 that you drove threw the roof". I am the kid of a 55 chevy maniac so I NEEDED to know about this song and subsequently the band. How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_surprised
Back to top Go down
B701
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 12:13 pm

I read an article in Sept 2008 about the Bouncing Souls and they mentioned Gaslight Anthem which prompted me to buy The 59 Sound, which was quickly followed up by picking up Sink or Swim and Senor and the Queen. I listened to The 59 Sound a little here and there until I saw Gaslight play with the Souls in Asbury Park just after Christmas in 2008. From that point on I was hooked and have been spreading the word about them to non-punk and other music fans ever since and have not heard one negative thing in the feedback from those people.
Back to top Go down
JoeHamling
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 7:04 pm

Browsing through the music channels and The '59 Sound was on kerrang. Immediately i bought the album and from then on i was hooked.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 8:41 pm

a friend posted Great Expectations on his facebook. it was a really clean, refreshing sound with lyrics that i instantly connected with.
Back to top Go down
its_lesleyanne
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
its_lesleyanne

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:59 am

Saw them on the cover of Kerrang! magazine, read the interview/article and then bought 59 Sound. Listened to the whole thing and the minute I was done, bought Sink or Swim. I have listened to them daily since!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Lesleyanne-Davies/1038607282
Jaywalk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Jaywalk

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 12:18 pm

I think I was reading up on Against Me! and looking at the various support bands they had played with, Gaslight were one of them. This was around the time Senor & The Queen came out but Drive was the first song I heard. The rest is history...
Back to top Go down
tgatom
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
tgatom

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 8:24 pm

My old boss at the place I worked said they were great live and had seen them touring with Springsteen... and I've never looked back!
Back to top Go down
ExitEnglish
A Contender
A Contender
ExitEnglish

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:19 pm

i was gonna see rise against and they were supporting so i looked them up maybe 6 months in advance, and luckily between then and the rise against show they were playing in my town and i was able to see them before they outgrew those venues. it was awesome.
Back to top Go down
randomhero78
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
randomhero78

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 7:48 am

i think it was right before '59 sound came out, me and a bunch of friends were hittin up a cottage for a week and i wanted to make a cd of songs that everyone would like. i was askin each person going for their top 5 songs to put on the cd, so we'd have a good groove of music goin on. my girlfriend sent me "blue jeans..." and i put it on. i listened to it once before we went to the cottage. thought it was good, but much like a first time listen, didn't think much else. then the whole week at the cottage, that song just kept coming on, and i fell in love with it. after that me my girlfriend found everything we could from these guys, and absolutely fell in love with everything they had done. and it all just went from there! they're now my favorite band, and they inspire anything i ever try to write musically.

they rock my socks off, end of story haha.
Back to top Go down
sidekicksuicide
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
sidekicksuicide

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 8:34 pm

randomhero78 wrote:
i think it was right before '59 sound came out, me and a bunch of friends were hittin up a cottage for a week and i wanted to make a cd of songs that everyone would like. i was askin each person going for their top 5 songs to put on the cd, so we'd have a good groove of music goin on. my girlfriend sent me "blue jeans..." and i put it on. i listened to it once before we went to the cottage. thought it was good, but much like a first time listen, didn't think much else. then the whole week at the cottage, that song just kept coming on, and i fell in love with it. after that me my girlfriend found everything we could from these guys, and absolutely fell in love with everything they had done. and it all just went from there! they're now my favorite band, and they inspire anything i ever try to write musically.

they rock my socks off, end of story haha.

lucky man, having your girlfriend get you into them.
Back to top Go down
oli1980
A Contender
A Contender
oli1980

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 8:57 am

a mate of mine who works at a music magazine, gave me a copy of sink or swim just after it came out, loved it and hooked ever since, the obssession seems to be getting worse aswell. is there a cure for it?
Back to top Go down
steffuhnee
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
steffuhnee

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 3:55 am

Through rise against, at the palladium show. :'] beautiful moment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?
Page 5 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next