DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
+279
Ashburtongeorge
Lastoftheindependents
emenius
~Aaron~
NotLikeWeBleed
Johnny 99
Hombie
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
TLRRescue
tigerstrom29
AngryRyan
gchestney
aaron0vt
Smasha13
Leigh
GaslightInspired
scottydontno
pleasepassthesoup
Forum Owner
23Punk
Aregular_89
jzancan
mwh
TheScottWillzAnthem
Hanswurst
CroyBhoy1981
Blues With the Dogs
DeathoftheCool
Jersey-Chris
LiveFastDieOld
BereasaTGA
kimmy
Anya_TGA
zerb012345
SpaceEcho34
Thunder_Road
FrankieG
kappanera
beckiee1993
jonester
Italian__Fallon
The Last Jukebox Romeo
cdala
EveryLittleSecret
HolyBreakOfDay
rdghst
FelixMA
BuddyHolly
Definitely_Josef
virginiasheart
Andy_
DianaAntonia
thgilsag_mehtna
DiamondSinatra
bringiton_ty
rsi1991
Paddy
GaslightFletch
Lexicon
OllieC
matkins
SubconsciousRitual
The Cool
wedidwhenyoung
keepsake
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Xanthias
jgardz
aussieTGAfan
JamesLUFC
Emusic
NYYFAN523
gking92
DryCounty
CapedAvenger
CasanovaBaby90
Try Me
Chesser19
Greenlizard
Chappers
OldManShoes3
moconnell23
Nothingman
TheSultanOfSwing
mrlisc2
A_Regular
Mr.Grieves
numnutz78
snakester
RaquelWaltz
Velocity
kayla_tga
nzappia90
StitchesOnTheRadio
Breanne
saltandburn1967
VanillaMintFusion
White Man In Hammersmith
TheContender
HighLonesome
Paula
redheadchick
'49mercury
AGoodTime
deadmanstown
marcsnitz
sonsofregret
Heart_Strings
gaslightsofie
AmSlang59
enola
clemsn78
Miles
rgillies
Steve70s
Keeb631
Don Carlo
EmmaMary
BobbyBaseball
Fiddler
Jerseyrain
nomad677
CharlotteGaslight
rumham
waltzingseñora
Matilda Noir
nebraska
J_Bizness
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Tobbo
33rpm
thealarmist
Blue_Collar_Man
mirrorenigma
spgilbert
Pel.71
Phil Rockabill
stayFree
I am Incinerator
StopAndSlideToTheRight
RememberLikeWeWereAlive
03aarm
The Angry Johnny Revue
joshyboytyler
kateoflowerchelsea
kkent16
Johnxazn
\m/aria
ashleybb
Harbortown
johnnyk748
hey yellow
Fat C
Matty-E
Simon
Know Your Borders
Gaslight23
UK Ellie
knuckles
Hemingway
No_Direction
NeverTrustAJunkie
gaslightom
Shrewsbury_Stars
Zeebs07
brianisbae
spork13
casanova15
fullcollapse
Henriflame
chickenman
Pants
concresence
theBasemen
GraveRobbers
JimmyB
Ghost
Kosburn59
ozfacter
Seldini
CASANOVA, BILLY!
Jessii
Christophe
summy
JJW319
Regarded
gp
Dwizza
bish
wonderson189
QueenOfTheBronx
azlisa
SmilinSkullRing
Philo
LuceroDiehard
amberfoyd
steffuhnee
oli1980
sidekicksuicide
randomhero78
ExitEnglish
tgatom
Jaywalk
its_lesleyanne
MKULTRA
JoeHamling
B701
cristinaevelyn
jward326
Reinvent good times
vamike
Turn the Casanova On
kuruptlon
Jay
rem999
torbar
Tailschao
Bea
bringiton
stayhungry
bobbyjames
pricegrabber
Casey
Izzy Eviel
Jeff
IKeeptheDiner
loazis
DaveSavedTheDay
borrowedcar
dapperdecembrist
mostly_harmless
matt even
nuwbuddy
dmac
RobertODonnell
andy.mac
Maureen973
thecosmickid
scousertommy
RunawaySmile
Holland
noble_man
redd
KittyKat
ral
Deeper Shade of Blue
carson
massie1903
Refused
Palmer89
Emyr
simo
tdawg
bradcooke
Stevearm
TGAFAN25
twistednightmare
Dan_Dog
steady now steady now
kcdc
Scott
lynchyeatspizza
tomttt
I Came To Dance
ktp
Snap
hostutca
surfNJ
Kristi
kieran
Norb
Luca Chinaski
JoshRaymond
Prisoner
steph
LBAZ
e7c
Jukebox Romeo
283 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Empty
PostSubject: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Ok, I'm not sure this has been discussed before. Title says it all. It would be interesting to know how everyone discovered the Gaslight Anthem....
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 3:27 pm

SoS was getting talked up big time on the Streetlight board, had to check it out. didn't really stick at first, but SatQ instantly caught me as something special
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 3:44 pm

I was at an Against Me show in Munich just hanging out with Andrew and I asked him who he was listening to now that I did not know and he said without any hesitation "The Gaslight Anthem, those kids are amazing, they are going to be huge"
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 4:34 pm

I was running through the line ups for the stages at Reading and Leeds 2008 (wishing I was going) and came across their name. It caught my attention so I decided to myspace it up it and I liked what I heard.
They then appeared on the cover of Kerrang in the middle of August and that was when I took real notice. I ordered up Sink or Swim and Senor And The Queen and loved them.. almost obbessively so on the 3rd listens.
I guess the rest is history.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nomies_alien_lover
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 5:18 pm

last april-ish...listening to one of the sirius radio stations that was playing on channel 945 or something on the tv. which i never listen to, lucky i happened to turn it on that day. "say i wont" ...they played that song over and over, and i ordered SOS and SATQ online right away and was hooked.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 6:21 pm

OK, I was in a bit short on time before, so here's mine.

I discovered the Gaslight Anthem by reading a review of the '59 Sound last summer in (shock, horror) NME! I don't buy the magazine, but I guy who I work with does and sometimes leaves it in work. I was really bored and flicking through it- I can remember the exact moment (strange huh?) - it was on the new releases page the week it came out- and got a score of 9/10. Normally I wouldn't listen to anything NME has to say, nor take notice of any of its ratings, but I read the 'sounds like' bit, and thought they could be interesting. Quickly wrote down the name, got home, loaded up iTunes and listened to the 30 sec previews of all of the '59 Sound. Did that the next two days, then ordered it. Best £9 or so I ever spent. Sink or Swim and Senor and the Queen followed about a month (too long, I know!) later... and here I am!
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 6:40 pm

I guess the little hype on punknews and other punksites in the year 2007 played a huge part. I listened to them briefly on myspace in September 2007 and thought ah man another Against Me! ripoff and ignored it. Then in November 2007 I decided to give them a listen again. I listened to a 30 seconds We're Getting A Divorce sample in Itunes and heard the Whoaahs. I was like, this is awesome and sampled some other songs instead. After that I downloaded Sink Or Swim and now I listened to it almost every single day since then. Same when SATQ and the '59 Sound came out.
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 7:13 pm

i first heard these guys when they opened up for against me and two gallants and from then on i was in love
Back to top Go down
Luca Chinaski
A Contender
A Contender
Luca Chinaski

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 10:12 pm

September 2008.
Article on Rolling Stone Italia.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pearljamonline.it/
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 10:28 pm

e7c wrote:
I was at an Against Me show in Munich just hanging out with Andrew and I asked him who he was listening to now that I did not know and he said without any hesitation "The Gaslight Anthem, those kids are amazing, they are going to be huge"

haha. i think you win the "how did you get into them" discussion
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 10:29 pm

JoshRaymond wrote:
i first heard these guys when they opened up for against me and two gallants and from then on i was in love

from then on i was in love...that made me laugh...but its so true.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 5:44 am

steph wrote:
e7c wrote:

haha. i think you win the "how did you get into them" discussion

Yep, I think e7c's will take some beating...
Back to top Go down
Norb
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 6:41 pm

Leak* (spelling???) of Sink or Swim on the internet...caught my curiosity...actually took a lot of listenings to like it, but fan since...
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Was travelling round Australia for a fair few months and ended up in Canberra which is a bit shit to be honest so went to the local independent record store just before getting the coach to Melbourne and got talking to the guy about bands and we where both big fans of Hot Water Music and the Bronxs. He recommended Gaslight who I had only heard briefly and didnt get on with so got the EP on a whim along with a cheap portable CD player (damn thing wouldn't fit in my ipod what the hell :p) Then non stop to Melbourne I had Senor and the Queen on repeat with the ocasional rotation with the Drips. Something kinda clicked with me maybe because I was away form home for the first time or something cant explain but I made sure I got SoS once I got to anther decent record store.
Back to top Go down
Kristi
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 9:03 pm

so I heard about the Gaslight Anthem a few times before but I brushed them off as some other, unoriginal scene band. I frequent AP magazine as I buy it every month when I'm in Borders and they were on the cover. I thought, they had to have atleast some talent to get on the cover of AP. By chance, while I was reading their article and watching FUSE at the same time The 59 Sound came on and I loved it.
Back to top Go down
reinvent

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 1:40 pm

They were listed on ALL of 2008's Best Year-end lists, from AP to Punknews to some other snobby sites that still liked them. WHen everyone has them on their lists, you have to at least check them out....And I was hooked. I had 59 and SoS with in 2 weeks...
Back to top Go down
surfNJ
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
surfNJ

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 4:01 pm

A friend of mine told me he saw them at Asbury Lanes and he thought I should check them out. Then a few weeks later 59 Sound came on Sirius radio, it was the first time since I got it hooked up that I heard something so fresh and new. I wrote down their name and as soon as I got home I downloaded the whole 59 Sound album off iTunes. I don't even think I listened to it all the way through before I went back and got SOS and SatQ. Those albums have been in constant rotation in my house ever since. My wife is hooked and my 3 week old daughter has been listening to Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts in the womb! We still play it for her now to fall asleep to. Gaslight need to come out with some baby onesies...
Back to top Go down
hostutca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 5:25 pm

I had a good friend that bought the Sink or Swim the week after it came out and the day he got it he brought it into work and it did not leave the radio for months...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cnotemu
Snap
A Contender
A Contender
Snap

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 5:34 pm

Heard them just before SatQ came out. Was on VC looking up Trio Goddamnit Redux vinyl, and saw Gaslight's name all over the place, so figured i'd give them a listen and soon after bought the EP Smile
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 5:53 pm

my boyfriend got Kerrang last August when they were on the front cover, read the reviews and got me to listen to them lying in bed with the lights off (cos i've got a short attention span!!), normally i'd just drop off but i was hooked straight off. say i wont was the 1st song he played to me and we both loved it so we booked tickets for the ULU gig and the rest, as they say, is history! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
I Came To Dance
A Contender
A Contender
I Came To Dance

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 4:59 am

I remember reading about them on different forums and such, so I listened to SoS in late 2007-early 2008 but it didn't do anything for me really. Then in late July I gave TGA a new chance when The '59 sound leaked and I was hooked from that point.
Back to top Go down
tomttt
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 5:31 am

SoS was voted the best album of 2007 on a Dutch site, so I decided to give it a listen and after 4 or 5 I was hooked.
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 7:32 am

the 2008 warped tour compilation had  wooderson on it, which i just knew as the 'alright' song. After a while i looked up a few of the songs on the compilation and i discovered a few songs from SoS and a few from the '59 sound. After a lot of listening and loving it I found the rest of SoS and T'59S online as well as SatQ. I decided they were my favourite band, but i still hadnt bought their albums so I got them all. I cant wait til TGA comes out to Australia because last time they came out i hadnt heard of them yet. 
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Scott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Scott

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 11:34 pm

Sept. 9th 2007, i remember exactly cuz it was the night before my birthday (which felt like a major drag at the time cuz it wasn't shaping up to be very good lol) and i was in the parking lot of red robin about 9:00 ish waiting for my parents to finish visiting w/ some family friends and i was moping, thinkin about life/future and feelin all down and shit listening to the punk station on XM Radio, which was airing a "complete control" radio show, that features up and coming bands, and Boomboxes and Dictionaries came on and it caught my ear and i heard the lyrics and it just fit! "if you're scared of the future tonight, we'll just take it each hour one at a time, its a pretty good night for a drive, so dry up those eyes.." i loved it, i started rockin out and it totally cheered me up lol i went home and checked out the rest of SOS, downloading two or three songs a week and i was absolutely hooked.. awaited SATQ and 59 and still in love! lol
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 5:19 pm

September 2007, I remember it was a little before I started dating my gf. I was looking for something new to listen to and I came across a review for Sink or Swim on Punknews. So I checked out their myspace, and the first song I listened to I'da Called You Woody, Joe and it blew me away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?
Page 1 of 17Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next