DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
+279
Ashburtongeorge
Lastoftheindependents
emenius
~Aaron~
NotLikeWeBleed
Johnny 99
Hombie
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
TLRRescue
tigerstrom29
AngryRyan
gchestney
aaron0vt
Smasha13
Leigh
GaslightInspired
scottydontno
pleasepassthesoup
Forum Owner
23Punk
Aregular_89
jzancan
mwh
TheScottWillzAnthem
Hanswurst
CroyBhoy1981
Blues With the Dogs
DeathoftheCool
Jersey-Chris
LiveFastDieOld
BereasaTGA
kimmy
Anya_TGA
zerb012345
SpaceEcho34
Thunder_Road
FrankieG
kappanera
beckiee1993
jonester
Italian__Fallon
The Last Jukebox Romeo
cdala
EveryLittleSecret
HolyBreakOfDay
rdghst
FelixMA
BuddyHolly
Definitely_Josef
virginiasheart
Andy_
DianaAntonia
thgilsag_mehtna
DiamondSinatra
bringiton_ty
rsi1991
Paddy
GaslightFletch
Lexicon
OllieC
matkins
SubconsciousRitual
The Cool
wedidwhenyoung
keepsake
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Xanthias
jgardz
aussieTGAfan
JamesLUFC
Emusic
NYYFAN523
gking92
DryCounty
CapedAvenger
CasanovaBaby90
Try Me
Chesser19
Greenlizard
Chappers
OldManShoes3
moconnell23
Nothingman
TheSultanOfSwing
mrlisc2
A_Regular
Mr.Grieves
numnutz78
snakester
RaquelWaltz
Velocity
kayla_tga
nzappia90
StitchesOnTheRadio
Breanne
saltandburn1967
VanillaMintFusion
White Man In Hammersmith
TheContender
HighLonesome
Paula
redheadchick
'49mercury
AGoodTime
deadmanstown
marcsnitz
sonsofregret
Heart_Strings
gaslightsofie
AmSlang59
enola
clemsn78
Miles
rgillies
Steve70s
Keeb631
Don Carlo
EmmaMary
BobbyBaseball
Fiddler
Jerseyrain
nomad677
CharlotteGaslight
rumham
waltzingseñora
Matilda Noir
nebraska
J_Bizness
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Tobbo
33rpm
thealarmist
Blue_Collar_Man
mirrorenigma
spgilbert
Pel.71
Phil Rockabill
stayFree
I am Incinerator
StopAndSlideToTheRight
RememberLikeWeWereAlive
03aarm
The Angry Johnny Revue
joshyboytyler
kateoflowerchelsea
kkent16
Johnxazn
\m/aria
ashleybb
Harbortown
johnnyk748
hey yellow
Fat C
Matty-E
Simon
Know Your Borders
Gaslight23
UK Ellie
knuckles
Hemingway
No_Direction
NeverTrustAJunkie
gaslightom
Shrewsbury_Stars
Zeebs07
brianisbae
spork13
casanova15
fullcollapse
Henriflame
chickenman
Pants
concresence
theBasemen
GraveRobbers
JimmyB
Ghost
Kosburn59
ozfacter
Seldini
CASANOVA, BILLY!
Jessii
Christophe
summy
JJW319
Regarded
gp
Dwizza
bish
wonderson189
QueenOfTheBronx
azlisa
SmilinSkullRing
Philo
LuceroDiehard
amberfoyd
steffuhnee
oli1980
sidekicksuicide
randomhero78
ExitEnglish
tgatom
Jaywalk
its_lesleyanne
MKULTRA
JoeHamling
B701
cristinaevelyn
jward326
Reinvent good times
vamike
Turn the Casanova On
kuruptlon
Jay
rem999
torbar
Tailschao
Bea
bringiton
stayhungry
bobbyjames
pricegrabber
Casey
Izzy Eviel
Jeff
IKeeptheDiner
loazis
DaveSavedTheDay
borrowedcar
dapperdecembrist
mostly_harmless
matt even
nuwbuddy
dmac
RobertODonnell
andy.mac
Maureen973
thecosmickid
scousertommy
RunawaySmile
Holland
noble_man
redd
KittyKat
ral
Deeper Shade of Blue
carson
massie1903
Refused
Palmer89
Emyr
simo
tdawg
bradcooke
Stevearm
TGAFAN25
twistednightmare
Dan_Dog
steady now steady now
kcdc
Scott
lynchyeatspizza
tomttt
I Came To Dance
ktp
Snap
hostutca
surfNJ
Kristi
kieran
Norb
Luca Chinaski
JoshRaymond
Prisoner
steph
LBAZ
e7c
Jukebox Romeo
283 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 2:43 am

I don't really remember but I know it has something to do with the Souls.

Maybe it was an interview where they were mentioned....damn, I'll figure it out.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 1:06 am

I read a newspaper article listing them as a band that was influenced by Bruce Springsteen, but I didn't think much of it at the time (even though I'm a huge Springsteen fan).

Interestingly enough, the first Gaslight song I heard was in a movie theater. They had one of those things going where they had music playing while you waiting for the movie and watched advertisements on the screen. The song was The '59 Sound, and I was hooked.
Back to top Go down
dmac
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Around the time they were on the AP cover (I think), an assistant manager for the company I work for told some of us about them. She used to date Alex R & knows the band, so she was super excited about it, & I decided to check them out... Not too long after, they were playing a show at my college & it happened to be on my birthday. I was super excited about it...but sadly, plans fell through due to mayhem =\
After missing that show, I started listening to them A LOT...
I was finally able to see them play at the Stone Pony in the spring, after missing out on several sold out shows.
Now my theory is, if I can drive where they're playing - I'm there.

I totally regret not getting into them earlier, especially since they are "from" New Brunswick.
Back to top Go down
http://dmmaaacccc.tumblr.com
nuwbuddy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:08 pm

i feel old. i remember being added by them during their sink or swim demos were still on myspace. then when sink or swim came out, they toured with the draft, so that was probably some time in 2007 (?) they had so much energy back then. they played bottom of the hill in sf. only 4 other people sang along with them including me. Brian and the Alex's could not contain themselves on the small stage, and danced and jumped around without hitting each other. That was a really good show.
Back to top Go down
matt even
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 2:21 pm

My bestfriend. I was really late. I've only been listening to them for about a year.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 5:59 pm

nuwbuddy wrote:
i feel old. i remember being added by them during their sink or swim demos were still on myspace. then when sink or swim came out, they toured with the draft, so that was probably some time in 2007 (?) they had so much energy back then. they played bottom of the hill in sf. only 4 other people sang along with them including me. Brian and the Alex's could not contain themselves on the small stage, and danced and jumped around without hitting each other. That was a really good show.

Wow, I am quite jealous! That sounds like such a great time.
Back to top Go down
mostly_harmless
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Gaslight played the Rock am Ring festival in Germany last year in early june. My local newspaper did a review saying they weren't too happy with most of the appearences but that there was one really good band that most probably did the best gig of the whole weekend, that being The Gaslight Anthem. I thought, wait a minute..who?? So many bands on this festival and I never heard the name of this newspaper's favourite? So I youtubed them and that was it. Have never been caught by a band like that since Springsteen in 84. I'm not the festival type but when they play headlining shows in Germany I'll be there.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 2:43 pm

mostly_harmless wrote:
Have never been caught by a band like that since Springsteen in 84.

That's how I reacted to the Gaslight Anthem, though I discovered the Boss four years ahead of you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
dapperdecembrist
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 3:11 pm

I actually saw them in October '08 when they were one of the opening bands for Rise Against. They came on first, and you could hardly hear them, and no one sang along or seemed to care. I didn't really pay attention to them, but my friend got hooked on them, and forced me to listen to all of their stuff. I slowly got hooked, and yeah, that's about it.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 1:19 pm

before each Springsteen concert on the WOAD tour, "The '59 Sound" was played before they came on but nobody knew who they were until on BTX(the Springsteen forum) was saying how TGA uses Springsteen references in "High Lonesome" and "Meet Me By The River's Edge". I went to iTunes and bought those songs and three days later I went to Record and Tape Traders and bought SOS and '59 sound. I bought SatQ on iTunes the next week.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:34 pm

borrowedcar wrote:
before each Springsteen concert on the WOAD tour, "The '59 Sound" was played before they came on but nobody knew who they were until on BTX(the Springsteen forum) was saying how TGA uses Springsteen references in "High Lonesome" and "Meet Me By The River's Edge". I went to iTunes and bought those songs and three days later I went to Record and Tape Traders and bought SOS and '59 sound. I bought SatQ on iTunes the next week.

Hmm... I think we should do some sort of outreach to the BTX people, but I have no idea what.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:45 pm

haha BTX is a fickle mistress, they aren't going to take to us nicely
though i'll post this thread on their forum and see what they say
Back to top Go down
DaveSavedTheDay
A Contender
A Contender
DaveSavedTheDay

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 4:10 pm

borrowedcar wrote:

This reminds me, when I first saw Gaslight, "Tenth Avenue Freezeout" was playing before the band came out. A few weeks later I saw Bruce and The 59' Sound was playing before Bruce came out. It was sort of awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scheponik.com
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 2:28 pm

I was just looking for new music and stumbled upon their name, which I remembered seeing on a festival poster once.

I listened all the way through Sink or Swim and I was sold.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 3:28 pm

From a Paul Westerberg Fansite, where they'd raved about G.A's cover of the Replacement's "Left of the Dial"...

Saw the video, fell in love, here I am
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 6:32 pm

My friends, now ex-grilfriend made him a mix with This Charming Man stuff on it. However she said it was Gaslight. So since I liked TCM she gave my friend I did more research on Gaslight. Needless to say, I liked Gaslight much better, but it is all part of the musicians evolution haha. Not that TCM is bad, but I think you get the point. It was actually funny cause once I started getting into them my brother who is a die hard Springsteen fan, kept asking me about them. Enough to the point where he went to see them without tell me once haha.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 8:31 pm

My brother read about them in a blurb in some magazine called "bands to watch" and he told me to put on Meet Me By The River's Edge, quickly followed by declarations of "play the whole thing!"

Still probably my favorite song by them. How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Izzy Eviel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Heard 'Old White Lincoln' on the radio. Thought it was a bit too good to be a Killers song, so I did some googling.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Izzyeviel
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 8:07 pm

^ that's the funniest thing i've seen
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 3:01 am

Saw them open for Rise Against in Fall 2008, thought they sounded pretty good. I never really get into bands from live performances unless they are really good live, and The Gaslight Anthem rocked my world. Heard them on a local indie station a few months later and then I got into their whole discography and saw them live at the commodore in Vancouver.
Back to top Go down
pricegrabber
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 5:19 am

I heard them while listening to the "Two Jacks In the Hole" podcast.
They were playing music during breaks and I was instantly hooked when
the 59 Sound and Great Expectations were played.
Back to top Go down
bobbyjames
A Contender
A Contender
bobbyjames

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 9:58 am

was reading about them loads on a forum I just started browsing back in early 2008 (Punktastic) so I checked them out to see why so many people were raving about them, and I liked what I heard. I picked up SOS and over the next couple of months fell in love with it, at the same time they were starting to get alot of exposure over here, I remember when they were on the cover Kerrang and was pretty excited! I first saw them at Reading festival 2008, and the rest is history!
Back to top Go down
stayhungry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:47 pm

actually my bf had gone to see them on one of their tours (i forget with who... maybe against me! ?) before senor, anyway. and he told me about them and i laughed cuz he was so obsessed with them but one day i listened to wooderson and then boomboxes and drive and i was hooked Very Happy

not the most interesting story but it was a lifechanging event tbh. their music has been with me through some really tough times haha
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 4:45 am

I heard about them because in England a year or two ago, The 59' Sound single was the 'free download of the week' on iTunes. I got that, absolutely loved it so then I bought Old White Lincoln and fell in love with that. I'm not sure if I then got 59' Sound or Sink Or Swim. I think it was the 59' Sound, but then I kinda worked my way backwards. Was never really my type of music but thank god for itunes.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 5:21 am

i read about them in an old spanish magazine but was into a totally different kind of music by the time. a couple months ago, apparently the same magazine made a couple interviews with them and a friend of mine got hooked. he told me, i listened to great expectations and i'da called you woody, joe and i loved it!

(ps that has nothing to do about it: beeny just replied to a message i sent them on myspace, i'm so happy Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?
Page 4 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next