DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EU tour 2014

Go down 
+63
Fail
Slatter8093
PC89
Spc66
\m/aria
Woody
funsaimandignite
miked331
Jack
mven
simple-man
Romain
AngryJohnnyN1930
Debonair
TooMuchGaslight
oldmanshoes
shredderrrrrr
StitchesOnTheRadio
Shrewsbury_Stars
nini1
PPQ
henn
ifieverstray
michaelphillips
Jersey-Chris
Halcyon
AndWithTheWindowDown
matkins
elbgoddess
Chappers
loazis
biggs
gchestney
Hepburn-Pearls
The_River
danny4690
Labhras
theratman
songs like a comfort
GaslightInspired
mingus
Prisoner
Christophe
poormrpitiful
BereasaTGA
aelliott88
Raoul_Duke
DeathoftheCool
cdala
Hasler09
steady now steady now
BuddyHolly
sinkorswimmydear
chickenman
CapedAvenger
HolyBreakOfDay
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Unorthadox1080
luckyman
bringiton
Hanswurst
Anya_TGA
enola
67 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender
chickenman

EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 8:57 am

I wanna get on a plane and catch a couple of shows...
Back to top Go down
sinkorswimmydear
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 10:36 am

i am sorry but they played misery again... Wink was fantastic at michelle records. even better than the last time. so excited for tonight !
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 1:50 pm

I hear the band played their set in Halloween costumes? Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: Just saw the You Tube vids.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 4:11 am

sinkorswimmydear wrote:
i am sorry but they played misery again... Wink was fantastic at michelle records. even better than the last time. so excited for tonight !

Haha, I'm actually glad to know it's being played more than once. This song can't be a one time special event! It's too good for that.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 5:02 am

Hamburg was a good gig again. They played 27 songs with a quite similar setlist like in Berlin but in a different order. They took a request for Drive from the audience (3 guys made a sign) and left off Stray Paper for it.

Only some 10 drunk guys middle/front were extremely annoying, shouting in general, yelling Bruce specifically, "singing" a hard-sounding "Hey Hey Hey" chorus during the slow guitar part of She Loves You (at around 1:30) and ruining the birthday surprise we've had planned for Benny.

These guys were just really rude in general, also to everyone around them in the audience and unfortunately ruined the gig for me (as much as I wanted to snap out of it but my stupid head wouldn't let me). But Brian handled the partly difficult audience and specifically these rude guys extremely well! Clap

After 2 gigs I can say that to me the band sounds perfect, in terms of music and especially Brian's voice. Ian and Brad do a great job covering for Alex and it's pure joy to watch them all enjoy themselves so much on stage. I love that they decided to skip the encore because for me that makes the whole set more homogenous and "tighter". And the setlists were a perfect mix for me as well, I'm very happy that they decided to add more songs of Get Hurt again. If now the 4 remaining Get Hurt songs I haven't heard live so far will appear on the setlist of the gigs I'm still going to, that would make me very happy.

So I'm very very much looking forward for the gigs yet to come! Smile

Last edited by enola on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Halcyon
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Halcyon

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 12:39 pm

Totally agree, enola! Is it just me or is it like that every time in HH? In 2012 it was the same with the singing of stupid german football anthems or whatever. But the "Bruce" guy was the worst. After that Brian didn't really talk to the audience anymore or when he tried he couldn't because of all the chanting. Those guys ruined parts but not the wole gig for me, though.

Apart from that it was great! Awesome setlist, energy and sound in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 1:23 pm

The_River wrote:
mingus wrote:
Who is Brad? Tech guy?

Yes.

Find out about the amazing Brad Clifford here : http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21588-rig-rundown-the-gaslight-anthem

Brad previously played in many bands. First that comes to mind is Poison The Well. Also, he was the guitar tech for against me! on their last tour. #dothebradclifford

Personally, he annoyed me in the rig rundown. He kept interrupting Alex and wouldn't let him finish his thoughts!
Back to top Go down
oldmanshoes
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Review Berlin and Hamburg   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 3:04 pm

In my case a last minute decision turned out to be one of the best Gaslight experiences I've ever had. Tbh I wasn't too excited for the new album at first and only wanted to do 2 or 3 shows this fall but cheap flights and left over vacation days convinced me to add 2 more. Then those acoustic gigs turned up and the rest is history! Well, what can I say... It seems the more I listen to new (maybe just new to me...) Gaslight stuff the better it gets!

I joined the bandwagon late. The first time I saw them live was at Pinkpop Festival in 2011. It was a fun gig. I missed out on the Revival Tour thing because I didn't buy tickets fast enough. So the first headline show for me was Ulm in 2012 where they played in a circus tent and it was hot, tight and sweaty and one of the most energetic shows I've ever seen! I was excited and went to several shows of the Handwritten tour which were like a box of chocolates... If you know what I mean. Wink

You may be wondering why I go back that far to write a review about those 2 shows of the Get Hurt tour I went to. Well, Berlin reminded me of this special show... It was hot, it was tight and it was sweaty! I loved every minute! Hamburg was the same (except some idiots in the audience but as enola said Brian handled it very well) and I've got the bruises that prove how much fun I had at the barrier! I like it that they leave the encore game out and play more songs instead. I don't need a break to cool down if there's a good mixture between fast and slow songs and that was the case! The new songs sound amazing live. Also the light show is awesome and Ian and Brad fit in very well!

I'm looking forward to the next shows!

Last edited by oldmanshoes on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 3:31 am

You picked a great show for your headline debut, Ulm was an epic gig!

And I totally forgot to mention the light show. Love it!!
Back to top Go down
oldmanshoes
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 5:56 am

enola wrote:
You picked a great show for your headline debut, Ulm was an epic gig!

I heard that before... I was lucky I guess! Wink
Back to top Go down
TooMuchGaslight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
TooMuchGaslight

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 7:37 am

Don't know if it's posted yet, but here an acoustic version of Selected Poems
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 7:43 am

It is already (here), but it's so good so there's no harm in posting it twice Wink
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 8:58 am

One thing I've noticed from youtube vids is that Brad's volume is way higher than when Ian was playing guitar.
Back to top Go down
elbgoddess
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
elbgoddess

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 12:01 pm

Short review regarding the Hamburg gig and pre-show.

As a "real" Hamburger it is always a pleasure to have your favorite band playing in your hometown. In Hamburg the venue "Sporthalle" is denounced for bad sound and sight. Even it changed a lot to be better, you always happen to go there with the fear of bad sound. but it turned out great.

I also went to the pre-show. We were 20 people ang got 4 songs: Great Expectations (slow version), Ain't it a shame, Too much Blood, 1930. No Q&As, no disposable camera but the ok to take pics with the mobile. I am okay with that. It was great to see the venue empty and the sound was quite impressive. With the 45rpm discount and buying two tickets I feel okay with the price, even I may have expected a little more like the Q&As but I am fine. And how awesome is the Simpsons drawing?

The main gig was great. I may have seen several TGA shows across EU and some in the US but this tour there is a mayor change in the lightning, the quality of the vocals and the keyboard even fits in well. it may even be too perfect, if this is even mentionable...

The audience was sh*+tty as enola described but as we stood not in front but at the far left side, maybe row 15, the drunken guys were not so present and their shoutings sounded more like "booo" or that other people boooed at them.

Nevertheless I enjoyed dancing the whole 2 hours along the songs and so did all other people around us. There was even a bouncing pie (aged 16 maybe) who was constantly jumping up and down. Many people knew the words and sung along.

It was stange to hear '59 Sound in a slow version and the audience sang along like it was the normale version like a second voice. The big "yeah" then came with the first tones of "45" and "Get hurt", I think. The whole set was energetic and all songs were played with much fun. I hope they can keep it that way a looooooong time.

The "Get hurt"-songs have so much more heart and soul in it played live. Brad and Ian filled in very well but Alex L. was truely missed by me.

I am not sure if everyone understood the announcement that there will be no encore. Without beeing an english mother-tongue speaker it may be difficult to understand, even we do not called it "encore" here. But most of the people were okay with that, yet a little bit irritated as the lights went on directly when the band left the stage. But everyone was allright with that.

My highlights were Howl and even the request from the audience: Drive. And Backseats is and will be the BEST song to end the set. Fullstop.

BTW The reaction of my friend, who hasn't had seen TGA live before: "Wow, they are much much better live than on CD". Yes, my dear. They are.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Photoset Berlin

EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Gaslig11

http://www.rollingstone.de/magazin/galerien/article654164/the-gaslight-anthem-2014-live-in-berlin-die-fotos.html
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Anyone else remember at crossroads.

"Can gaslight wear face paint?"

Bf:"no but molly and the zombies can!"

Razz
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
AngryJohnnyN1930

PostSubject: Gaslight's Halloween Costumes!   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:14 am

I'll let the pictures in the article speak for themselves (this link had the best pics I could find)!
But needless to say, this pretty much made my night!

http://www.blitzgigs.de/review/gaslight-anthem-columbiahalle/

And check out that amazing set list!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 4:28 am

AngryJohnnyN1930 wrote:
I'll let the pictures in the article speak for themselves (this link had the best pics I could find)!
But needless to say, this pretty much made my night!

http://www.blitzgigs.de/review/gaslight-anthem-columbiahalle/

And check out that amazing set list!

Awesome shots. Thanks for finding that. The review however;

"...lesser played tracks such as Old White Lincoln"

Is this reviewer high?

EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Screen10
Back to top Go down
PPQ
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 4:36 am

I have added some more Vids from Berlin

Last edited by PPQ on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://politplatschquatsch.com
Romain
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Bruxelles review   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 7:40 am

Hello everyone!

So I attented yesterday's show in Bruxelles. I missed both support acts as my friends and I were coming from France, right after our day at the office.
We spotted a free space on the left balcony, literally next to the stage and we attented the whole show from there.

One of my friends is a good musician (10+ years as a drummer and bass player, also recorded lots of bands), and he knew little about TGA (apart from a few of their most famous songs).

He was really impressed by how tight they sounded, as well as by how good the sound was.  And indeed the overall sound mix was great, wide and loud but not too much.  You could hear everything, at least from where we were standing.  Brian's voice was excellent, and strong, a pleasant surprise.
To be honest, I have attended a few GA shows over the years, and I always felt like they were not great live...  But man they prove me wrong yesterday.  They were tight, Benny really knows his craft, and I have a feeling Alex has also improved a lot (no more wrong notes).

Ian and Brad did a great job filling up, Brad had a binder and he turned pages between songs, I guess it was sheets with the chords.  Brad was a little more active, moving towards the front of the stage, and "living" the music.  That was a good thing because Alex and Ian were like depressive zombies on stage.  Man if you are not happy to play, stay home!  It is such a contrast with Brian's smile and enthusiasm!

Brian seemed quite happy, he took a CD from the audience (I also managed to give him mine at the end of the show, yes!), he made a few jokes (including one about how mean pitchfork was Wink), also played a short but funny Steven Tyler impersonation with a scarf a girl gave him.

The setlist was cut short because of the curfew (22 tracks only - 1h30), there was no encore as Brian said he no longer wanted to do so.

The crowd was a bit disappointing, rather quiet save for the "59 sound - handwritten" bit (handwritten was not expected to be played at that point of the show, I guess Brian felt he had the audience behind him and changed his mind).  The crowd in Paris for the last show I attended was much more responsive!  Razz

So overall a pretty good show, technically very good, musically spanning over all albums (including rarities).  I wished it had last longer and with a more active crowd, but it is just me being too demanding. Wink

If others attended the show please feel free to correct my review as I might have missed / misunderstood things.

Cheers!

Romain.
Back to top Go down
https://soundcloud.com/theescapistband
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 9:35 am

German review of Berlin
http://rockzoom.de/gaslight-anthem-columbiahalle-31-10-2014/

Translation:
The Gaslight Anthem concerts are often a tightrope walk and can range from a solid rock show to a run through of an uninspired set list. But this Friday evening everything was different. Not only because it was Halloween. But perhaps because the quartet was warmed up already after playing 2 acoustic sets the day before at the cosy Ramones Museum and the Dodo Beach record store.

Friday was finally the day of their headline show in the Columbia Halle which was opened first by Bayside, who delivered their punk rock show as if they were the headliner themselves and were well appreciated by the audience. It was different with Deer Tick, who didn’t really fit in with their southern rock, so that I just focused on the funny Simpsons Costumes and meanwhile speculated if Brian Fallon and Co. would appear later in fancy dress as well.

This mystery was unravelled at 10pm sharp when five skeletons walked on stage, belting out “Stay Vicious” and lifted their masks off their perfectly painted faces during “The ’59 Sound”. The clear announcement was: It's Halloween. And The Gaslight Anthem are in a great mood. They want to play. Without an encore. But instead for as long as they can and are allowed to. Quite a big promise to be given to the 3.500 fans in the Berlin Columbiahalle. But this Friday night nobody was disappointed! Instead everyone partied the whole time, sang along almost fanatically to every single word and danced and rocked as if there was no tomorrow.

The setlist also played an important part, with the 28 (!) songs which were kind of a best-of of the last ten years and contained of rarities as well as hits such as "Film Noir", "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues", "Selected Poems", "We Came to Dance", "Handwritten” and "Get Hurt. The beautiful acoustic versions of "Great Expectations" and "Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis?" added a special touch and showed that The Gaslight Anthem feel as at home with massive stadium rock as with an intimate club atmosphere.

The boys from New Brunswick definitely succeeded in their balancing act from the once lumberjack shirt-punk band to serious rockers, who have what it takes to be the only legitimate successor of Bruce Springsteen - at least on Friday night. After almost two hours, the spectacle was finally over and all agreed that what they had just witnessed, probably was the best show ever of The Gaslight Anthem. It should be Halloween more often ...

And another one: http://festivalisten.de/71424-wars-gaslight-anthem-berlin
Back to top Go down
michaelphillips
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
michaelphillips

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 10:32 am

mingus wrote:
Cool! All the way from London? I'm going the other way around, Brussels now and then Edinburgh at the end of the month Smile

And preshow as well? Just ordered mine, after weeks of non-stop doubting. I hope it'll be worth it!

I am from London though I was visiting a friend in Bruges anyway so the Gaslight gig in Brussels sort of fitted in quite well. I am also seeing them in London and Birmingham so it will be interesting to compare! Did not do the pre-show this time, still considering whether to do it or not, and if I did it would be the Birmingham show probably.

Found it very different to watching them in London, crowd seemed very quiet from where I was (at the back at the very top of the balcony - the friend I went with would not normally survive being near the front of a Gaslight gig). Loved the slowed down version of Elvis and thought 1000 Years sounded really good live. Brian seemed in good spirits and had some good banter with the audience.

How was the pre-show? Was it worth it? What did they play?
Back to top Go down
luckyman
A Contender
A Contender
luckyman

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 12:08 pm

Back from Berlin and it was a great gig loved the new songs and the slowed down Great Ex and Elvis.
Thought the setlist was great with a good mix of songs, and no encore didn't bother me in the slightest.

Off to Munich, Vienna and Zagreb later this week, so hope they can carry on in this form
26/28 songs will do for me!!

Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 12:16 pm

Attention people travelling to and from gigs in Germany between Thursday Nov 6th and Nov 10th! German Railways announced a severe strike! Please share with other travellers!
Back to top Go down
PPQ
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Review Berlin
Back to top Go down
http://politplatschquatsch.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EU tour 2014   EU tour 2014 - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EU tour 2014
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next