DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)

Go down 
+86
23Punk
ral
angryjohnny27
mja271
BereasaTGA
Forum Owner
jonnyz83
kappanera
No Retreat
bigbug
The Angry Johnny Revue
lo
brunswick18
Rizz
Hasler09
TheEmptyBones
The_River
matkins
'49mercury
Prisoner
Hirti
Vibes
pepperedham
Keele
jzancan
Tincan Sailor
BKO5950505
HorribleCrowe
flannel
Asmith1912
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
mingus
Zach_Edelman
Thunder Peel
33RPMHero
BossTime
jensomniac
bt211
Shrewsbury_Stars
Roe
mely88
big blue
TGAFAN25
jonester
FrankieG
cdala
crutchfield
Jaws
zerb012345
Anya_TGA
bringiton_ty
_rebekka_
Joe Thumb
sjoy89
Jerseyrain
SirBrad
CapedAvenger
saraM87
rotmitweißenpunkten
rumham
Ghost
Yozzy
simo
RobertODonnell
enola
Labhras
Debonair
SammyHutchison
HolyBreakOfDay
Harbortown
borrowedcar
Jack
JimmyB
NeverTrustAJunkie
thomas94
The Last Jukebox Romeo
cmigs
Hanswurst
Steve70s
CluckyB
eagles1139
DeathoftheCool
StitchesOnTheRadio
Christophe
njguy99
steady now steady now
90 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:40 pm

Jesus. I need to hear that entire song instrumental. It sounds so frickin beautiful.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 2:23 am

eagles1139 wrote:
Praying those are lyrics because that would mean Brian's branching out into storytelling rather than just writing about himself and his experiences, which he previously said is all he can do

See I was thinking the opposite. If that's a lyric, I'm waiting for the Springsteen comparison's to increase, which would be a step backwards. Honestly though, this is not enough of anything for me to really form an opinion. I've got my fingers crossed for 90 second clips like we heard in the "making of handwritten" video that got out before that album.

EDIT: Not that that lyric could only be considered Springsteen-y, I can think of several others right off the top of my head, but you know people and their love of making this comparison (the hypocrite says as she makes the comparison herself).
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 11:53 am

I'm hoping that's a lyric as well. Incidentally, Handwritten (the song) got even better for me when I chose to ignore the "story of a record" backstory that the video presents and decided it was about a soldier in the heat of battle writing back home to his sweetheart.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 1:07 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
I'm hoping that's a lyric as well. Incidentally, Handwritten (the song) got even better for me when I chose to ignore the "story of a record" backstory that the video presents and decided it was about a soldier in the heat of battle writing back home to his sweetheart.

Just re-read the lyrics with that in mind and you're absolutely right. Makes it way better. (I always thought the "story of a record" thing was kind of cheesy.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Debonair wrote:
Obviously needs it's own post. Sounds from the studio

http://instagram.com/p/mRKn4nxZo2/

Hmm, it's obviously not great quality audio but I'm not digging that super-80s chorus/flanger effect on the guitars. Makes it sound like Brian's going to be donning a bleach-blonde wig and try to fit into David Lee Roth's leopard pants.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 2:24 pm

4/2/14 (Day 18 in studio)

Tweets

Quote :
@alexgaslight: It's official we have turned into a frat house. @gaslightanthem @xandermilia #Ilostcountofthedays http://t.co/2T9lNLJdvr

Instagram

http://instagram.com/p/mS21K1sNmy/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/mTN3VMiupc/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/mTTJaKJPxV/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/mTWSdyxZkI/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/mTyV2WxZso/
click for photo:

Last edited by Debonair on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:37 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:26 pm

33RPMHero wrote:
Jesus.  I need to hear that entire song instrumental.  It sounds so frickin beautiful.

agree, I listened to that last night about 10 times, sounds amazing. seems like a fresh new sound to me.

I'm really excited for the new album - Handwritten just hasn't stuck with me and I am hoping some time off to step away a little and breathe was the best thing they could have used before heading to the studio.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
Hasler09
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Hasler09

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 4:30 pm

I am in no way dissing what i hear but I don't think this sounds different, it still sounds like Gaslight to me with the similar tempo/chord selection but with different effects on the guitar, like Jack said 80s style. The clip is great don't get me wrong, I think after hearing the sounds they were playing around with in earlier studio clips though, i expected quite a shift from the usual sound.

I love the fact you can hear the progression on each album. I am not going to judge anything until we hear a new song in full. I think Alex R brings so much the more he is allowed to influence the sound.

Got to say I am more excited for this album than any album i can remember.....oh and the tours Smile

Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 5:15 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
Praying those are lyrics because that would mean Brian's branching out into storytelling rather than just writing about himself and his experiences, which he previously said is all he can do

See I was thinking the opposite. If that's a lyric, I'm waiting for the Springsteen comparison's to increase, which would be a step backwards. Honestly though, this is not enough of anything for me to really form an opinion. I've got my fingers crossed for 90 second clips like we heard in the "making of handwritten" video that got out before that album.

EDIT: Not that that lyric could only be considered Springsteen-y, I can think of several others right off the top of my head, but you know people and their love of making this comparison (the hypocrite says as she makes the comparison herself).

Yea this is true but I'm kinda hoping Brian takes a "screw it, let em talk" approach and just tries to write the best songs he can. There's tons of artists that do storytelling songs that don't get called Bruce ripoffs (Jason Isbell's one of the better ones that comes to mind). As long as the song isn't about a soldier that "quits the US army" and then goes to work by the boardwalk or in a traveling carnival or something.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 5:35 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:

Yea this is true but I'm kinda hoping Brian takes a "screw it, let em talk" approach and just tries to write the best songs he can. There's tons of artists that do storytelling songs that don't get called Bruce ripoffs (Jason Isbell's one of the better ones that comes to mind). As long as the song isn't about a soldier that "quits the US army" and then goes to work by the boardwalk or in a traveling carnival or something.

Is it bad that I would love to hear Brian write a song with exactly that same story?

Although I liked Gaslight most when they were the freewheelin' happy-go-lucky guys from Jersey, so that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 5:44 pm

I like the video and I hope it's a part of the lyrics, it sounds interesting

and here is an other picture on instagram
http://instagram.com/p/mTN3VMiupc/#
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 6:33 pm

eagles1139 wrote:

See I was thinking the opposite. If that's a lyric, I'm waiting for the Springsteen comparison's to increase, which would be a step backwards.
My first thought after reading that (possible) lyric was "Born In The USA" (the track, not the album). But that's a million miles from being a bad thing. People will jump on it as a Springsteen link, but so what? You'll know what it means to you when the record comes out.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Springsteen doesn't have a monopoly on the army
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:57 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:

Wasn't the point.  The Springsteen comparison will gain momentum again.

Personally, I hope that's not a lyric, because on it's own, it's weak.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 12:13 am

jzancan wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

it's 6 words with 0 context. I could cherrypick six words of Bob Dylan songs and say they're "weak lyrics".
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 1:52 am

Jack wrote:
Makes it sound like Brian's going to be donning a bleach-blonde wig and try to fit into David Lee Roth's leopard pants.

I hope that is EXACTLY what he is doing right at this moment.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 2:18 am

eagles1139 wrote:
jzancan wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

it's 6 words with 0 context. I could cherrypick six words of Bob Dylan songs and say they're "weak lyrics".

I think the conclusion here is this potential lyric is by no means enough to go on and form any sort of conclusion, neither are any of the audio clips so far.

I only offered up the springsteen comment because if we're gonna take a teeny tiny bit of material and draw conclusions from it, that's where my brain headed. Not because I think it's too springsteen-y, but because I think it's close enough that other people will immediately point there.

About the whole story telling thing. To be honest, I'd prefer he expand on his current style than get too into the story telling. If I wanna hear a story, I'll listen to Dylan, or Bruce, etc. Brian does repeat the same topics a lot, but he managed to do that for 4 albums, an EP, and a number of additional songs, and STILL the songs are great. If he can branch out a bit topic-wise (which he already started to) then I can only imagine how great his writing would get!

Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 3:35 am

Interesting. I think there are two options: Either Brian can only write great songs when they're infused with the romantic and deeply personal descriptive lyrics which drive their typical instrumentation, OR they can do other stuff too.

Whatever happens on this album, I believe and hope that they'll break through that wall and write something awesome and truly distinct from their other work.

Last edited by DeathoftheCool on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 11:26 am

The melody looks cool but I really, really don't like the way it sounds. Anyway it's too hard to have an idea with 10 secondes of music...
Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 2:44 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
jzancan wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

Right...wait, isn't that what I said?  Doesn't "on it's own" mean 0 context?  

But while we're on the topic, if the rest of the lyrics do their job, the listener should probably know that today is the day the character quit the army.  So it's probably going to be a weak line. *scratches chin and puts nose in the air*

Last edited by jzancan on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 7:11 pm

4/3/14 (Day 19 in studio)

Tweets

Quote :
@bennyhorowitz1: According to country music videos, I should be seeing a lot more vintage trucks down here. Calling bullshit on this one guys.

Quote :
@Corybranan: Clem got a good mall hang in today with @bennyhorowitz1. Don't worry @Perkins28, Benny didn't forget your bath bomb. http://t.co/qwEpP6Fp1H
(Retweeted by Benny)

Instagram

http://instagram.com/p/mVpHJmCuho/
click for photo:

Last edited by Debonair on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
big blue
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Today's email from infinite merch/45 club mentions that the album is coming out in the fall.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 2:36 pm

So I hope it will be early fall
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 3:10 pm

And a lot of tour dates, especially close to home  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 3:12 pm

Didn't get this email. Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)
Page 17 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 28  Next