DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews

Go down 
+58
redheadchick
OldManShoes3
Little Eden
DaleCooper
bringiton
TheContender
JacksSmirkingRevenge
AGoodTime
Holland
RobertODonnell
The Angry Johnny Revue
Jack
enola
StitchesOnTheRadio
steady now steady now
CluckyB
covsc1922
bobbyjames
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Prisoner
azlisa
Van Der Twix
steph
A_Regular
Try Me
AP1989
thomas94
Christophe
Camus
marleyschains
Don Carlo
RandyMachoManCabbage
heartlikeatomb
Hanswurst
Philo
eagles1139
holdsteady82
simo
AmSlang59
snakester
MKULTRA
riversedge
TGAFAN25
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Klown
jzancan
NYYFAN523
ghosttocoast
jonnyz83
njguy99
scally
jdc
rumham
Bea
gtalbott
saltandburn1967
DeathoftheCool
JJW319
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Van Der Twix
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Van Der Twix

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 9:33 am

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Mojotg10

Here's the MOJO France review.
Rating : 2 stars

Journalists says that TGA is now circling around, so they storm the stages with a better production etc...
Back to top Go down
holdsteady82
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 11:03 am

I tried to translate the Mojo france review, but I'm not saying it's exactly right. Your welcome to make any corrections, as there's a couple of phrases that I question.

"First album of the guys from New Jersey after their transfer to Mercury. What to do after three albums for the Gaslight Anthem is clearly, air going around the question? Do as the Kings of Leon, the onslaught of stages! Production level is much more airy: the tension of the songs of American Slang disappears, the voice of Fallon is exposed/lacking. Do you remember the echo on his voice that was literally The 59 Sound? Suddenly, he spends his time bellowing. Like that is breathing, difficult to remain hanging from the songs that do more than depend on the performance of Fallon songwriting level. This side of it, not good or bad surprises. If we often read that Gaslight Anthem = Springsteen + Strummer, the balance shifts more and more on the side of the Boss. "45" is the job of the single, the lustful and blues crooner voice of Fallon on "Too Much Blood" marks probably the best track on the disc. After the great success of his side project The Horrible Crowes, you think perhaps that Fallon has actually been around the question with The Gaslight Anthem."

I

Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 3:27 pm

A_Regular wrote:
RS is out of 4

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews

RS is out of 5.
Back to top Go down
Van Der Twix
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Van Der Twix

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:31 pm

holdsteady82 wrote:
I tried to translate the Mojo france review, but I'm not saying it's exactly right. Your welcome to make any corrections, as there's a couple of phrases that I question.

"First album of the guys from New Jersey after their transfer to Mercury. What to do after three albums for the Gaslight Anthem is clearly, air going around the question? Do as the Kings of Leon, the onslaught of stages! Production level is much more airy: the tension of the songs of American Slang disappears, the voice of Fallon is exposed/lacking. Do you remember the echo on his voice that was literally The 59 Sound? Suddenly, he spends his time bellowing. Like that is breathing, difficult to remain hanging from the songs that do more than depend on the performance of Fallon songwriting level. This side of it, not good or bad surprises. If we often read that Gaslight Anthem = Springsteen + Strummer, the balance shifts more and more on the side of the Boss. "45" is the job of the single, the lustful and blues crooner voice of Fallon on "Too Much Blood" marks probably the best track on the disc. After the great success of his side project The Horrible Crowes, you think perhaps that Fallon has actually been around the question with The Gaslight Anthem."

I

Correct ! Thank's for translating ! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:35 pm

holdsteady82 wrote:

I

Translation is more or less spot on, with a few rough translations regarding grammar, good stuff though!
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Haven't seen this review here so far...that's why I thought I might translate it Wink (from German to English). It did it the best I could..in case you find any mistakes, correct me. For sure there are some other german reviews for Handwritten, but I took that, because I think it's a really interesting one.

This one is by a german online magazine for rockmusic, called Allschools.de
----------------------------------
‚I never will forget you my American love. I will always remember you wild as they do come‘ ...these are the final lyrics of the last song on Handwritten. Everybody who listened properly until that point, will begin to recognize: The Gaslight Anthem have started to write songs for eternity, not for the past.

Meanwhile, the first single of the album, 45, has catched the attention of nearly everyone. It is one of those songs, that reminds you of such as Wooderson off their first album "Sink or Swim". Certainly 45, Handwriten or Mulholland Drive belong to the songs, that were made to be played on stage. In general The Gaslight Anthem's new record Handwritten is full of songs that need to be performed on stage - maybe the band hasn't even been obvious of that aspect when they wrote the songs. None of the older songs will ever be able to transport the same passion as the titles on Handwritten in a live show. There are also some of those riffs, that drag you through the 70's (Mae), the 80's (Mulholland Drive), down to the the stadiums's rock and the grunge of the 90's ( Too Much Blood) without bearing any traces of artificiaily.

Handwritten is harsh and direct at the same time. Especially Howl fits to that description, lyrically and musical, in an excellent way. In general you have to mention that the lyrics are full of Blues and really direct... they take your breath. Big and near.

Here Comes My Man
is a song, which Brian Fallon tells out of a women's perspective. The song makes me instantly want to cast a women for duet in my mind.

It is easy to notice how much Brian Fallon turned back to e-guitars and dirty rock music after the sonic Horrible Crowes' project and it's album Elsie. That is at least what lead him to a musical restart and a shift in direction.

The songs feel big and near, maybe because of the fact that the "storyteller" Brian Fallon has really written all of the lyrics in a notebook, or just the fact that all the stories being told in this album have a personal background instead of being fairy tailes about women and cadillacs.

People are whispering that the bonus songs on the Deluxe Album are two other Gaslight Anthem tracks, as well as a TOM PETTY cover (You Got Lucky) and a NIRVANA cover. The last one makes me feel very excited, because it shows a connection I'd never have drawn. That shows the way The Gaslight Anthem are dissolving from old bonds while keeping themselves. I am grateful that this band is not trying to do the same album every time, but is creating newly, honest music.

The last song National Anthem is in my opinion the best sad, but beautiful song of the last decade. Slow guitars and strings begin, while Fallon sings: ‚Whatever gets you through the night‘ ...this one just did.
----------------------------
Really hope everything makes sense. I think everything I translated is pretty similar to the original, which you find here: http://www.allschools.de/record/1305610

Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 2:02 am

Did Rolling Stone review this yet? They seem to have a crush on Gaslight/Brian!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 am

I'm going to have a more cleaned-up translation of that French article tomorrow, if anyone's interested.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 am

someone posted a review just recently about RS Australia, but i don't know if that is different from RS here. i get RS, should be getting the new issue in a couple days, i'm eagerly anticipating it!
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 12:38 pm

From the Toronto Sun, quick hit
"Handwritten
Heartland Rock
4 stars out of 5

There’s a darkness on the edge. And right down the middle, for that matter. The fourth full-length (and major-label debut) from N.J. singer-guitarist Brian Fallon and co. mines a darker and deeper vein, mixing their rousing heartland punk with moodier lyrics and harder-hitting tracks (produced by Brendan O’Brien). He still hasn’t painted his masterpiece, but he’s definitely getting closer.

Download: 45; Here Comes My Man"
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 1:50 pm

gtalbott wrote:
"Handwritten
Heartland Rock
4 stars out of 5

There’s a darkness on the edge. And right down the middle, for that matter. The fourth full-length (and major-label debut) from N.J. singer-guitarist Brian Fallon and co. mines a darker and deeper vein, mixing their rousing heartland punk with moodier lyrics and harder-hitting tracks (produced by Brendan O’Brien). He still hasn’t painted his masterpiece, but he’s definitely getting closer.

Hmm this one focusses on Brian too much.
He is ofcouse the most important contributor, but this doesn't do justice to the other guys.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 1:58 pm

It's 4 sentences.
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 pm

gtalbott wrote:
"Handwritten
Heartland Rock
4 stars out of 5

There’s a darkness on the edge. And right down the middle, for that matter.

Killer opening line man. Arbitrarily twist a Springsteen title; awkwardly segue into review. scratch
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm

gtalbott wrote:
"Handwritten
Heartland Rock
4 stars out of 5

Suspect well i have just one thing to say: "it's not the Brian Fallon Road Show" ...
Back to top Go down
bobbyjames
A Contender
A Contender
bobbyjames

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 6:45 am

From Punktastic - 4 stars (out of 5)

Quote :
As most people reading this will know, The Gaslight Anthem are one of those bands.

Swiftly idolised in the punk scene for their XOXO Records debut ‘Sink Or Swim’, Fallon and co. then learned to live with the constant (and sometimes fair) comparisons to a certain famous American rock star and carried on to wider acclaim with follow up ‘The ’59 Sound’. Following a fine mainstream reception to third album ‘American Slang’, the band now find themselves looking for way to cement one of the biggest success stories to emerge from the punk scene in the past five or so years.

In terms of style, ‘Handwritten’ isn’t leaps and bounds for the band. It’s The Gaslight Anthem being the The Gaslight Anthem. People with no interest in the band’s last album will not re-find their feet here – the Americana is strong (‘Too Much Blood’ and ‘Keepsake’) and the band certainly have the big stages in mind – but the key is whether the song have the quality to compare to the bands they find themselves sharing bills with these days.

In some cases, this is absolutely true (‘Mulholland Drive’ and opener ’45′ in particular shine through) and others not so much (‘Here Comes My Man’ and ‘Howl’), but all things considered, ‘Handwritten’ is a towering rock record that has the right producer doing the right thing with the band.

Each song stomps its feet and demands that you understand both where the band come from, but also that they want to be up there with the true giants of rock. It’s entirely possible that The Gaslight Anthem could go on to be just that with a few more consistent albums, and there’s certainly enough biting riffs and big choruses here to keep them heading on that path. Fallon’s vocals are refined and impressive, and you have confidence that every part of the band’s sound could be played live as they’ve imagined the performance part of their music here.

Make no mistake, this is a “go big or go home” record from The Gaslight Anthem, and though you know what you’re getting from the themes and song structures throughout, the songwriting does have something special about it. It takes one listen to grab you where ‘American Slang’ took two or three, and ‘National Anthem’ delivers a delicate closer to an accomplished and confident record.

Whether ‘Handwritten’ sinks its hooks in deeper and deeper or falls back to an occasional listen will depend on personal taste, but if you’ve got the time for a balls out rock record from a band that has found a sound they love and run with it – look no further.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks everyone. OP is updated to Punktastic. I'll be keeping the spoiler tags in to save space and make it more convenient for everyone, unless they want to be replaced with quotes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:05 pm

I liked the Punktastic review for being the first one to mention American Slang in a positive way and not as a passing reference.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Also, I couldn't get a smoother translation of the French review. It's less structurally sound and more "random thoughts on a page", and that's a bit difficult to translate.
Back to top Go down
Try Me
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Try Me

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 pm

http://sputnikmusic.com/review/50850/The-Gaslight-Anthem-Handwritten/
Sputnikmusic review. They gave it a 5/5.
Back to top Go down
covsc1922
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 3:55 pm

The German Rolling Stone gave it a 3 out of 5.
They say it's an overall good album with no real highlights. Best song is National Anthem.

http://www.rollingstone.de/reviews/alben/article309745/the-gaslight-anthem-handwritten.html
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 3:57 pm

Crosby Stan wrote:
http://sputnikmusic.com/review/50850/The-Gaslight-Anthem-Handwritten/
Sputnikmusic review. They gave it a 5/5.

I think that's just a user review. Otherwise they also gave it a 4/5:

http://sputnikmusic.com/review/50865/The-Gaslight-Anthem-Handwritten/
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Everything on Sputnik is a user review. That's just a different one.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 5:44 pm

covsc1922 wrote:
The German Rolling Stone gave it a 3 out of 5.
They say it's an overall good album with no real highlights. Best song is National Anthem.

http://www.rollingstone.de/reviews/alben/article309745/the-gaslight-anthem-handwritten.html

sounds like they must have had a two track version with just Howl and National Anthem on it
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 7:11 pm

simo wrote:
Everything on Sputnik is a user review. That's just a different one.

example of staff review: http://sputnikmusic.com/review/50246/Motion-City-Soundtrack-Go/
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 7:14 pm

gtalbott wrote:
"Handwritten
Heartland Rock
4 stars out of 5

Still hasn't painted his masterpiece? Guess the writer has never listened to The '59 Sound.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next