DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews

Go down 
+58
redheadchick
OldManShoes3
Little Eden
DaleCooper
bringiton
TheContender
JacksSmirkingRevenge
AGoodTime
Holland
RobertODonnell
The Angry Johnny Revue
Jack
enola
StitchesOnTheRadio
steady now steady now
CluckyB
covsc1922
bobbyjames
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Prisoner
azlisa
Van Der Twix
steph
A_Regular
Try Me
AP1989
thomas94
Christophe
Camus
marleyschains
Don Carlo
RandyMachoManCabbage
heartlikeatomb
Hanswurst
Philo
eagles1139
holdsteady82
simo
AmSlang59
snakester
MKULTRA
riversedge
TGAFAN25
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Klown
jzancan
NYYFAN523
ghosttocoast
jonnyz83
njguy99
scally
jdc
rumham
Bea
gtalbott
saltandburn1967
DeathoftheCool
JJW319
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:01 pm

"The irony is that there's few personal touches in the songs here — no well-etched detail that indicates an individual's lived experience, no unforeseen shift in rhythm or melody, nothing anyone Fallon's age hasn't heard already and learned by heart."

Did this guy even listen to Keepsake? I legit feel like I'm violating Brian's privacy whenever I listen to that song. Ugh, anyways, I'll stop... (but probably not Razz)
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:03 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
rubberducky wrote:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16856-handwritten/

5.7/10

I can't take reviews seriously that leave out Sink Or Swim. "2 albums and one side project later". Hey asshat, they had another album that many people love. Besides, this really isn't a bad review but know their discography before you write a review.

That's just lazy/irresponsible journalism.
Back to top Go down
DaleCooper
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
DaleCooper

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:05 pm

This is something I would have said regardless of how positive or negative their review of Handwritten was, but Spin is a pathetic excuse for a music publication and has been for quite some time.
Back to top Go down
http://jonathanhawkins.net
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:07 pm

To be fair, none of us will EVER be able to review anything Brian ever does objectively.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:07 pm

A_Regular wrote:
To be fair, none of us will EVER be able to review anything Brian ever does objectively.

Very true. I can't really think of one bad thing about them. I am bias.
Back to top Go down
redheadchick
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:09 pm

I disagree with reviewer cause I think Brian is an amazing lyricist, but have to admit the PeeWee Herman reference in the Spin review did make me laugh. 'Hes a loner, Dottie, a rebel.'
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Pitchfork's review is pretty good though, I agree with most of it.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm a little late to the game on the pitchfork review but this line made me laugh...
"it's endearing how he mistakes smog for "the mists of Mulholland""

That review made some fair points but I still don't understand this "Brian Fallon is a bad guy/has a big ego" thing?

I know this "every word handwritten" thing seems beaten to death but it's essentially a tagline, that's it's purpose. And he's not saying "i'm better than you because I write by hand" he's saying "there's value in revisiting things that we've left in the past, like records, or writing by hand".

one other part that bugged me a bit...

"often painting himself as a messianic romeo. Midway through Handwritten, he sings, "Who came to wipe all your tears away? Who came to give you back your dignity, babe?""

-Maybe it's just me but I didn't take with that level of egotism. It didn't seem to me like he was like "come on, you know life would suck without me because I'm awesome and you're nothing without me"

Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:29 pm

I'd love to see that guy review Elsie.

Fallon fills the album with nonsensical bragging about his fashion choices ("I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of tie"), egomania bordering on stalkerism ("Nobody knows you like I do!"), and in "Blood Loss", misogynistic anger bordering on violent threat ("I'll tell you when it's over, I'll tell you when you can leave"), finishing the chorus with an image of a past lover hanging in his hallway while he drinks her blood. Real "nice-guy" we're dealing with.

Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:32 pm

eagles1139 wrote:

Fallon fills the album with nonsensical bragging about his fashion choices ("I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of tie"), egomania bordering on stalkerism ("Nobody knows you like I do!"), and in "Blood Loss", misogynistic anger bordering on violent threat ("I'll tell you when it's over, I'll tell you when you can leave"), finishing the chorus with an image of a past lover hanging in his hallway while he drinks her blood. Real "nice-guy" we're dealing with.

haha, true, so true
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:36 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
rubberducky wrote:

5.7/10

I can't take reviews seriously that leave out Sink Or Swim. "2 albums and one side project later". Hey asshat, they had another album that many people love. Besides, this really isn't a bad review but know their discography before you write a review.

He was talking about The 59 Sound. Hence the "Later" part. 2 albums and one side project later from the The 59 Sound is this album. He never said they only have three albums. He was just taking about the time between T59S and Handwritten.

Seriously, the bad reviews are somewhat annoying, but no where near as bad as all the whining about them here after they get posted. If you're going to make complaints, at least make reasonable ones.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:39 pm

CluckyB wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
rubberducky wrote:

5.7/10

He was talking about The 59 Sound. Hence the "Later" part. 2 albums and one side project later from the The 59 Sound is this album. He never said they only have three albums. He was just taking about the time between T59S and Handwritten.

Seriously, the bad reviews are somewhat annoying, but no where near as bad as all the whining about them here after they get posted. If you're going to make complaints, at least make reasonable ones.

Why do you attack me every time I write shit dude? It is starting to get annoying. Are you stalking me? I think I have a secret admirer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:41 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
rubberducky wrote:

5.7/10

Why do you attack me every time I write shit dude? It is starting to get annoying. Are you stalking me? I think I have a secret admirer.

CLucky is just making a point...no need to mock him Salt.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:41 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
rubberducky wrote:

5.7/10

CLucky is just making a point...no need to mock him Salt.

Yeah, but I recall 3 or 4 times of him picking me out. Its fucking obnoxious but ok, I am done. I'll just ignore it.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:42 pm

I have no problem with negative reviews. My complaints are, just like with any form of writing, with the writing itself and the thought that went into it.

Like, saying that the line "All of our heroes are failures or ghosts" (misquoting "our" for "my) is the brag of someone trying too hard to be a rebel? That's what I call agenda writing, for whatever reason he thinks Brian is egocentric and thus stretches a ton of examples in the album to prove his point.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:53 pm

eagles1139 wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:

lol!

LOLOL. I actually remember reading a review for Elsie where the guy was convinced that Brian was a crazy misogynist because of some of the lines on the record. If I can dig it up again I'll post it. It was hilarious.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 9:49 pm

eagles1139 wrote:

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 10:22 pm

snakester wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:

lol!

LOLOL. I actually remember reading a review for Elsie where the guy was convinced that Brian was a crazy misogynist because of some of the lines on the record. If I can dig it up again I'll post it. It was hilarious.

I remember reading that. It was pretty ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:58 am

I never get why reviewers say stuff like "Oh, this songwriter needs to lighten up/get a sense of humor." Are we honestly expected to believe that the Pitchfork reviewer fellow would really like Handwritten more if Brian started cracking jokes in the middle of his songs?
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 11:05 am

Jlblue wrote:
I never get why reviewers say stuff like "Oh, this songwriter needs to lighten up/get a sense of humor." Are we honestly expected to believe that the Pitchfork reviewer fellow would really like Handwritten more if Brian started cracking jokes in the middle of his songs?

I don't know, I listen to a song like Too Much Blood in which he's worried about revealing to much of himself and all I can think to myself is relax Brian. Not every song has to be so personal...
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:41 pm

rubberducky wrote:
Jlblue wrote:

I don't know, I listen to a song like Too Much Blood in which he's worried about revealing to much of himself and all I can think to myself is relax Brian. Not every song has to be so personal...

I'll respond to this with a fantastic movie quote:

"All right, let's bring it home. If you was hit by a truck and you was lying out there in that gutter dying, and you had time to sing one song. One song that people would remember before you're dirt. One song that would let God know how you felt about your time here on Earth. One song that would sum you up. You tellin' me that's the song you'd sing? That same Jimmy Davis tune we hear on the radio all day, about your peace within, and how it's real, and how you're gonna shout it? Or would you sing somethin' different. Somethin' real. Somethin' you felt. Cause I'm telling you right now, that's the kind of song people want to hear. That's the kind of song that truly saves people. It ain't got nothin to do with believin' in God, Mr. Cash. It has to do with believin' in yourself." - Sam Phillips, Walk The Line
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Jlblue wrote:

I never get why people take Pitchfork reviews so seriously.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 4:42 pm

Yeah, sometimes people act as if Pitchfork has to validate their taste. Pitchfork might cover good music once in a while but as far as I can tell they mostly just like stirring up controversy because that's what gets hits. That said their review wasn't that bad for Handwritten. At least it wasn't a video of a monkey peeing.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 4:51 pm

To be fair, some of the lyrics on Elsie are really harsh on women. Depending on the severity of the break-up I think every guy has those thoughts, but expressing them in such blunt terms is pretty ballsy. Not exactly politically correct.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next