DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews

Go down 
+58
redheadchick
OldManShoes3
Little Eden
DaleCooper
bringiton
TheContender
JacksSmirkingRevenge
AGoodTime
Holland
RobertODonnell
The Angry Johnny Revue
Jack
enola
StitchesOnTheRadio
steady now steady now
CluckyB
covsc1922
bobbyjames
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Prisoner
azlisa
Van Der Twix
steph
A_Regular
Try Me
AP1989
thomas94
Christophe
Camus
marleyschains
Don Carlo
RandyMachoManCabbage
heartlikeatomb
Hanswurst
Philo
eagles1139
holdsteady82
simo
AmSlang59
snakester
MKULTRA
riversedge
TGAFAN25
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Klown
jzancan
NYYFAN523
ghosttocoast
jonnyz83
njguy99
scally
jdc
rumham
Bea
gtalbott
saltandburn1967
DeathoftheCool
JJW319
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Just a few comments to add.

<Mae> reminds me of the <The Trouble With River Cities> by Pela, a song Brian mentionned as being one of his favorites.

<Mullhond Drive> ends with the same riff as <Orphans> from American Slang. That riff haunted me for the whole week till I finally remembered where it was from!

;-)

kropotkin
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 7:28 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
To be fair, some of the lyrics on Elsie are really harsh on women. Depending on the severity of the break-up I think every guy has those thoughts, but expressing them in such blunt terms is pretty ballsy. Not exactly politically correct.

I don't want to drag this too far off topic, but it's obvious he's singing about being hurt, not about being a stalker or hating women. The reviewer takes it WAY too far and makes a laughable review. I found it, it's http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/09/the-horrible-crowes-elsie/
Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Kropotkin wrote:

<Mullhond Drive> ends with the same riff as <Orphans> from American Slang. That riff haunted me for the whole week till I finally remembered where it was from!

;-)

kropotkin

Omg it is. I never noticed that.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 7:35 pm

snakester wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
To be fair, some of the lyrics on Elsie are really harsh on women. Depending on the severity of the break-up I think every guy has those thoughts, but expressing them in such blunt terms is pretty ballsy. Not exactly politically correct.

I don't want to drag this too far off topic, but it's obvious he's singing about being hurt, not about being a stalker or hating women. The reviewer takes it WAY too far and makes a laughable review. I found it, it's http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/09/the-horrible-crowes-elsie/

No, I know. Believe me, I'm feeling all the Elsie emotions as we speak. It's just Blood Loss's chorus that, to me, is brutally harsh. I mean, not that it's a bad thing, but it's simply vicious.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 8:24 pm

snakester wrote:
Kropotkin wrote:

;-)

kropotkin

Omg it is. I never noticed that.

It haunted me for a week! I thought at first a tune from the 59' sound ... but finally I figured it out ;-)

I love the way they recycle the old with the new ...

chris
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 8:29 pm

The Trouble With River Cities - Pela

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KEuJ1Uqe8

And then listen to Mae ... same style ... ??? no?
Back to top Go down
holdsteady82
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Truthfully, I don't think it's the lyrics in and of itself that's causing these opinions; I think it's more related to the over-abundance of his lyrics. When nearly every song on every album has the same lyrical theme, it can be smothering, which is what I see influencing some of these negative perceptions. If the same lyrics were followed by songs whose lyrical content was different, I bet those same lyrics would not pose a problem. I personally hope Brian's songwriting becomes more diverse and hopefully Keepsake (which is amazing!) is an indicator that he will continue to branch out/implement other topics/subjects into his lyrics.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:18 pm

holdsteady82 wrote:
Truthfully, I don't think it's the lyrics in and of itself that's causing these opinions; I think it's more related to the over-abundance of his lyrics. When nearly every song on every album has the same lyrical theme, it can be smothering, which is what I see influencing some of these negative perceptions. If the same lyrics were followed by songs whose lyrical content was different, I bet those same lyrics would not pose a problem. I personally hope Brian's songwriting becomes more diverse and hopefully Keepsake (which is amazing!) is an indicator that he will continue to branch out/implement other topics/subjects into his lyrics.

Even Keepsake is still a song about abandonment and lost love, it's just directed at an absentee father, rather than a lover. This album is interesting in that it's a major label debut, but in many ways, it's also a transition album for them rather than (in my opinion) their absolute best fastball.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:36 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
It's just Blood Loss's chorus that, to me, is brutally harsh. I mean, not that it's a bad thing, but it's simply vicious.
I always thought that part was from the perspective of Brian's "first love/arsonist/murderer." Because the first chorus starts with him saying "boy, I'll tell you when it's over" and ends with "...for you to be truly haunted (baby by me)." So I don't know if Brian's really being all that harsh there.

But on a more on-topic note:
Quote :
I never get why people take Pitchfork reviews so seriously.
I just didn't like the thing about the reviewer saying Brian was humorless. After all, humor in songwriting is a pretty bad idea. I love the Bouncing Souls to death, but I think they would be better if they didn't have songs like "Badass" weighing down some of their albums. So it tends to bother me when reviewers call songwriters humorless. It's obvious to anyone who goes to a Gaslight show that none of them are actually humorless, they just choose to write music with meaning instead of fluff.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 pm

I think songs can have humor and meaning. Those aren't exclusive things.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:47 pm

snakester wrote:

Haha wow I came insanely close with my parody review and I've never even read that review.

My parody:

eagles1139 wrote:
I'd love to see that guy review Elsie.

Fallon fills the album with nonsensical bragging about his fashion choices ("I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of tie"), egomania bordering on stalkerism ("Nobody knows you like I do!"), and in "Blood Loss", misogynistic anger bordering on violent threat ("I'll tell you when it's over, I'll tell you when you can leave"), finishing the chorus with an image of a past lover hanging in his hallway while he drinks her blood. Real "nice-guy" we're dealing with.

Actual review:

But any sympathy he might have earned is lost on the stalker-rific “Sugar” (“Nobody knows you like I do”) and the spectacularly creepy “Mary Ann” (“Put your tiny hands inside my hands… Jesus gonna be here soon”).
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 1:17 am

simo wrote:
I think songs can have humor and meaning. Those aren't exclusive things.
Yeah I guess that's true. I don't know what it is that bothers me about it then, maybe I'm just getting fed up with music reviews in general, haha.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 8:30 am

eagles1139 wrote:

But any sympathy he might have earned is lost on the stalker-rific “Sugar” (“Nobody knows you like I do”) and the spectacularly creepy “Mary Ann” (“Put your tiny hands inside my hands… Jesus gonna be here soon”).

There's no question Elsie is a dark, dark record. He's singing about hatred towards someone who broke his heart. It's honest, and very direct, and often times hurts your heart to listen to it. That's what I think makes it so brilliant. (And I don't think Sugar is "stalker-rific" - it's the pre-breakup "please don't leave, I love you" song. But she does leave, and he becomes the hurricane.) The album has a very clear story it's telling, through the stages of a particularly bad breakup.

Now, to get back on topic: Handwritten doesn't seem to have the same narrative flow from one track to another, so I can see why some reviewers see it as humorless or repetitive.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:57 pm

NME's review was posted online today and gave the record 8/10

http://www.nme.com/reviews/the-gaslight-anthem--2/13489
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:39 pm

I really enjoyed this review (NME). Couple things:

1) I don't think I want to know what's happening in Brian's balls, haha. He can keep that to himself.
2) the emo thing is true and very funny. But I love that line anyway.
3) "endearingly butch slushiness" about Biloxi Parish, that whole part was great.
4) lol at this "a city currently clawing back its musical heritage from the fists of Taylor Swift and her ilk"
5) I really like this. Finally some credit where credit's due. "Yet despite his continued, gracious nods to a host of musical grandmasters, on ‘Handwritten’ Brian Fallon’s showing more of his true self than ever before."
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:00 pm

One thing: when does Brian quote Bruce on this album? I don't recall that at all...
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:08 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
One thing: when does Brian quote Bruce on this album? I don't recall that at all...

That could be a reference to "the way your dress would wave" line in Howl.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:

In the article it kinda sounds like he's referring to a reference in Mullholland (i don't see one).

With the Thunder Road "references" in Howl, I still feel like those are subtle enough not to consider it quoting Springsteen.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Kropotkin wrote:

<Mae> reminds me of the <The Trouble With River Cities> by Pela, a song Brian mentionned as being one of his favorites.

;-)

kropotkin

yeah they are quite similar. Mullholand's is a little fast with more hammering I think.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:

In the article it kinda sounds like he's referring to a reference in Mullholland (i don't see one).

With the Thunder Road "references" in Howl, I still feel like those are subtle enough not to consider it quoting Springsteen.

I don't know enough Springsteen to RULE OUT references in songs like Mulholland, etc. (I'll leave that to the expert) - didn't someone say the "We took it all and then we threw it away" in Biloxi was either a strong direct reference or a rip of "The Promise"?
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Quote :
Kropotkin wrote:

I could see/hear that. I absolutely love Pela, good to hear Brian's a fan. Mae is heartbreaking in a similar vein too.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 3:04 pm

The August 16 Rolling Stone lists the song Handwritten as it's #2 pick for this week's playlist.

Quote :
The title track of the Jersey crew's great new disc is a headlong rush of crisp chords and shout-along hooks. "Pull it out, turn it up, what's your favorite song?" hollers frontman Brian Fallon. This week, it might totally be this one!"

(i don't know if the last line is tongue in cheek or what...)
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Interesting:

http://musicgetsmeby.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/the-handwritten-project/
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 am

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
Interesting:

http://musicgetsmeby.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/the-handwritten-project/

That's really cool. It's too bad they didn't collect even more.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 12:37 am

oops, i was asked to do this but was out of the state at the time and forgot about it. very cool though.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next