DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews

Go down 
+58
redheadchick
OldManShoes3
Little Eden
DaleCooper
bringiton
TheContender
JacksSmirkingRevenge
AGoodTime
Holland
RobertODonnell
The Angry Johnny Revue
Jack
enola
StitchesOnTheRadio
steady now steady now
CluckyB
covsc1922
bobbyjames
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Prisoner
azlisa
Van Der Twix
steph
A_Regular
Try Me
AP1989
thomas94
Christophe
Camus
marleyschains
Don Carlo
RandyMachoManCabbage
heartlikeatomb
Hanswurst
Philo
eagles1139
holdsteady82
simo
AmSlang59
snakester
MKULTRA
riversedge
TGAFAN25
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Klown
jzancan
NYYFAN523
ghosttocoast
jonnyz83
njguy99
scally
jdc
rumham
Bea
gtalbott
saltandburn1967
DeathoftheCool
JJW319
62 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:12 pm

Now that at least two are out there, I thought it would be nice to have a place where all the reviews could be viewed for ease, rather than getting lost in the official thread. For the next month or so a great deal of press and reviews will be online, I'll be sure to update this accordingly. Feel free to post one if found.

Link takes you to the actual review, spoiler tag has the review copy and pasted.

Alternative Music Hub - 10/10

Spoiler:

Alt Press - 4.5/5
Spoiler:

The AU Review - 9.2/10

Spoiler:

Q Music - 3/5

Spoiler:

Common Revolt - highly positive (no rating)

Spoiler:

Mojo - 2/5 (scan from magazine)

Spoiler:

Stack Magazine - 4.5/5

Spoiler:

Absolutepunk.net - 10/10 (My personal recommendation)

Spoiler:

Alter The Press - 5/5

Spoiler:

BBC Review

Spoiler:

The Music AU

Spoiler:

Rolling Stone AU - 4/5

Spoiler:

Allschools.de

Spoiler:

Punktastic

Spoiler:

Ground Control
Spoiler:

Last edited by JJW319 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:01 pm; edited 14 times in total
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 pm

ah! i messed up, it was actually 4.5 from AP
Embarassed
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:19 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
ah! i messed up, it was actually 4.5 from AP
Embarassed

Woo. thank goodness. 90 percent is better than 80 percent
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:41 pm

Fixed it up. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 pm

I love you
thanks blood
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 12:25 am

That review from Alt Hub says it "may be the album of the decade"...I'm almost afraid it can't live up to my Great Expectations (eh? eh?) now. ALMOST. But I'm sure it'll surpass them once we all hit Play
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:50 am

@JJW319: i updated your original post a bit, hope you don't mind Wink
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 9:24 am

gtalbott wrote:
That review from Alt Hub says it "may be the album of the decade"...I'm almost afraid it can't live up to my Great Expectations (eh? eh?) now. ALMOST. But I'm sure it'll surpass them once we all hit Play

Hmmm I kind of get the vibe this person may actually just be a huge Gaslight fan. I love American Slang, but calling it the album of the year in 2010 is a bit of stretch.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 am

I think this thread just made me pee a little.
Back to top Go down
scally
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 10:28 am

Here's another one:
http://www.theaureview.com/albums/the-gaslight-anthem-handwritten-lp-2012
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks Scally. And welcome!

Bea wrote:
@JJW319: i updated your original post a bit, hope you don't mind Wink

great idea Bea! I'll follow suit!
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 1:28 pm

I just got my Alternative Press in the mail and was amazed at how effusive the review was. Regardless of whether it was written by a fan or not (or the fact AP tends to only review albums it likes) it still says a lot about the quality of this record.
Back to top Go down
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender
jonnyz83

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Tweet just minutes ago from TGA:

Quote :
God bless rolling stone magazine! @RollingStone

Might we see a glowing review of Handwritten in Rolling Stone soon?
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 1:47 pm

jonnyz83 wrote:

Quote :

giddy. just giddy.
Back to top Go down
ghosttocoast
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ghosttocoast

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 2:02 pm

This thread is causing me to salivate in excitement. I don't know how I'm going to make it through these next 27 days.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 2:02 pm

JJW319 wrote:
jonnyz83 wrote:

Quote :

giddy. just giddy.

I am excited! Do you think they might have gotten another perfect? These boys are going to get HUGE from this album.
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Alt Press review of Handwritten   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 8:23 pm

edit: topics merged.

Searched and for some reason couldn't find the topic of the compiled Handwritten reviews.

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Handwr11
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 8:43 pm

https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t4296-collection-of-handwritten-reviews?highlight=handwritten

Check this thread out. It has the text of various reviews as they come (including alt press).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks. For some reason couldn't find that before I posted this.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 10:23 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
JJW319 wrote:
jonnyz83 wrote:

Quote :

giddy. just giddy.

I am excited! Do you think they might have gotten another perfect? These boys are going to get HUGE from this album.

Another option is that the magazine is planning a major major feature on them (cover seems unlikely, but...) and Rolling Stone still has a paid circulation + newstand buyrate of over 1.5 million per issue. Spin is about a third of that.
Back to top Go down
ghosttocoast
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ghosttocoast

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 am

Q seem to be responsible for the first non-positive review. They gave it 3/5 in this month's magazine. Incredibly lazy review, filled with Bruce references and is just downright disrespectful. Here it is for anyone who wants to read.

"
Spoiler:

Last edited by ghosttocoast on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 9:46 am

Mojo give it 2/5, so the negative reviews seem to be out there.

Honestly, like always, I won't pay any attention to them, I'll like what I like, and not let some 'expert' tell me what is good or bad. I also won't get bent up over a bad or 'disrespectful' interview/review.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
ghosttocoast
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ghosttocoast

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 10:00 am

Klown wrote:

Honestly, like always, I won't pay any attention to them, I'll like what I like, and not let some 'expert' tell me what is good or bad. I also won't get bent up over a bad or 'disrespectful' interview/review.

Yeah you're definitely right and it hasn't made me any less excited, I just can't help but be incensed by lazy journalism, especially when he's only referred to one of the songs on the album and clearly hasn't even given it the time of day.

But hey, I'll ignore it. If they choose to completely miss the point they're the ones missing out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 10:27 am

ghosttocoast wrote:
Klown wrote:

Yeah you're definitely right and it hasn't made me any less excited, I just can't help but be incensed by lazy journalism, especially when he's only referred to one of the songs on the album and clearly hasn't even given it the time of day.

But hey, I'll ignore it. If they choose to completely miss the point they're the ones missing out. Very Happy

I totally agree with what you guys are saying. The Q review made me really mad because the "journalist" sounded so uninformed and only seemed interested in comparing the guys to Bruce. Rolling Eyes

But that doesn't make me any less excited or change the fact that the songs I have heard are beyond amazing and I think this could be the best album ever. Ghosttocoast said it perfectly - if they miss the point, they're the ones missing out.

Now I'm really excited to read the RS review though. Even though it won't affect my opinion, it's nice to see the band getting some recognition for how fantastic they are. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 am

ghosttocoast wrote:
Q seem to be responsible for the first non-positive review. They gave it 3/5 in this month's magazine. Incredibly lazy review, filled with Bruce references and is just downright disrespectful. Here it is for anyone who wants to read.

"
Spoiler:

I really dislike this review. It's extremely vague, and doesn't offer any positive or negative opinions. It's pretty much just a description of what's going on in the album. That's not a proper review. A proper review says what's being offered that's good, and what's being offered that's bad. Maybe the Bruce references are meant to be negative, maybe the vague idioms about his voice being near the whiskey barrel are negative too, but there's literally nothing in it that is black or white. The review either stinks of trying very hard to give it a negative review, while not being able to find anything negative about it, or it doesn't seem to realize that a lot of what it said seems positive from my perspective (such as the dripping in urban romanticism, with a little more oomph) should equal a better score than 3/5.

EDIT: Just saw that it's a Q review. Q sucks. Bunch of baiters looking to sell magazines. Oh well, even if this negative review had substance behind it, I wouldn't care. Other people's opinions don't matter to me... it's just sad to see the average acclaim of the album be dragged down by negative reviews. This deserves to be album of the year, not "moderately successful".

Last edited by MattL on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next