DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews

Go down 
+58
redheadchick
OldManShoes3
Little Eden
DaleCooper
bringiton
TheContender
JacksSmirkingRevenge
AGoodTime
Holland
RobertODonnell
The Angry Johnny Revue
Jack
enola
StitchesOnTheRadio
steady now steady now
CluckyB
covsc1922
bobbyjames
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Prisoner
azlisa
Van Der Twix
steph
A_Regular
Try Me
AP1989
thomas94
Christophe
Camus
marleyschains
Don Carlo
RandyMachoManCabbage
heartlikeatomb
Hanswurst
Philo
eagles1139
holdsteady82
simo
AmSlang59
snakester
MKULTRA
riversedge
TGAFAN25
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Klown
jzancan
NYYFAN523
ghosttocoast
jonnyz83
njguy99
scally
jdc
rumham
Bea
gtalbott
saltandburn1967
DeathoftheCool
JJW319
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 11:15 am

The second line in the Q review gives it all away. Like something you'd read on punknews - how dare they not be a punk band anymore?

Take all reviews with a grain of salt. Make up your own mind...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 11:18 am

It really seems like it's trying to appeal to the "sellout" sort of vibe.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 2:14 pm

I'll be honest... none of us have heard the album so we hardly have the right to criticize any of the reviews we read... If we only take the positive reviews as "good" reviews then we're being just as lazy as the reviewers who "are simply comparing them to bruce"....

I don't know if this record is going to be amazing or not... I haven't heard it....

It's pretty hard to critique a review if you have no idea what they're reviewing....
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 2:57 pm

well, at least Too Much Blood will be awesome from all accounts! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Yeah I don't think we're in much of a position to criticize people who have reviewed the album. Personally If it was reviewing an album I wouldn't say what I think they sounded like because it kinda takes the review away from the focus of the band.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 12:56 am

I don't think that 3/5 seemed like a review to me. I respect the guys score and everything but he only mentioned 2 songs on the whole album. It did seem pretty lazy.
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 2:15 am

Glowing review from Common Revolt:

"Brian Fallon said that after writing The Gaslight Anthem’s third LP, American Slang, he wasn’t sure if he would ever write another Gaslight Anthem song. If he honestly believed that, Handwritten, the New Jersey band’s fourth studio album and first with Mercury Records, is filled with eleven tracks that prove just how wrong he was. The tracks are perhaps the band’s very best, combining heavier guitars that many remember (and possibly miss) from Sink or Swim with the cleanness of The ’59 Sound. Produced by Brendan O’Brien (who’s worked with the likes of Bruce Springsteen and Pearl Jam) the album is relentlessly strong from beginning to end.

The album opens up with the first single, “45.” Drawing again from their old school music references, Fallon sings, “And all my friends say / Hey, turn the record over / Hey, I’ll see you on the flip side / There you go, turn the key and engine over / Let her go, let somebody else lay at her feet.” If you loved this track and the record references, just wait for the music video; it’s going to be about the life of a record as it changes hands throughout decades.

Next comes the title track, “Handwritten.” This song is among my favorites from the album. It was one of those songs that just hit me. The first verse contains what I might consider some of Fallon’s best writing, ““Put it on, turn it up, it’s your favorite song / That’s mine I’ve been crying to it since I was young / I know there’s someone out there feeling just like I feel / I know they’re waiting up, I know they’re waiting to heal / And I been holding my breath, are you holding your breath / For too many years to count…” After writing a piece on the impact of music for a magazine, I heard this song, and I felt like Brian Fallon put everything I wrote about into a single verse. If that’s not proof of how talented he is, I don’t know what is.

Tracks like “Mulholland Drive” (a favorite of mine) and “Too Much Blood” showcase the heavier guitars alongside Fallon’s ever so strong and poetic lyrics. In the former, Fallon sings, “I’d just die if you ever took your love away” intertwined with Alex Rosamilia’s brilliant guitar. “Keepsake” can definitely be put among these, too. The song includes some harmonica, so surely it’ll garner some Springsteen references from some critics there. “Biloxi Parish,” a song many Gaslight fans will recognize from live shows in the past year, shows off a more bluesy, Southern rock side of the band. Memorable lyrics: “Try it on for size, my darlin’ / See what a man you can make of me / I will eventually haunt you / You’ll eventually be my queen,” but the lyrics and song are a little different than what fans might be familiar with.

“Mae” is Fallon’s bittersweet hopeless romantic track. It has one of the record’s best lines, “And we wait for kingdom come with the radio on.” The band hasn’t quite let go of their references to other people when he croons about Betty Davis eyes. That track is a close comparison to Slang’s “We Did It When We Were Young” or The 59 Sound’s “Here’s Looking At You, Kid.” “Here Comes My Man” has the jazzier side that the band found and flourished with on Slang, too. “Howl” will surely be one that everyone sings along to at shows (just like “45”) with Fallon, Alex Rosamilia, and Alex Levine all joining in with a hook on the vocals, as they do in many other tracks. “Desire” includes some of those vocals, as well as Fallon saying “What does it feel like inside? / Does it hurt you at night? / Or does it keep you alive, set you on fire/ I would give anything for the touch of your skin / Yes, I would burn here for years up in desire.” “National Anthem,” the record’s acoustic ballad and closer, is the most Springsteen reminiscent (think his album “Nebraska”). He sings, “I never will forget you, my American love / And I always will remember you, wild as they come / And though if I saw you, I’d pretend not to know / The place where you were in my heart is now closed” perhaps recalling “The Navesink Banks” from Sink or Swim where he sang, “My first sin was a young American girl.” Obviously not afraid of closing on a softer note, the song is probably the band’s best ballad next to “Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts.”

The album is brilliant, beautiful, and haunting for all forty one and a half minutes. It’s brutally honest and still poetic, just as fans would expect from the Jersey natives. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I’m calling this as my album of the year (and yes, I realize the year is only half way over). Basically, if you love The Gaslight Anthem, you will probably love this album. And by probably, I mean you’re crazy if you don’t. If you don’t love The Gaslight Anthem, I suggest you start. This band will grab you by the hand, steal your heart, and make you feel with every word Handwritten."
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 3:18 am

i could have written that "Common Revolt" review and i haven't heard the record.
Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 3:44 am

Klown wrote:
Mojo give it 2/5, so the negative reviews seem to be out there.

Is there a copy of that review anywhere to read? I kinda wanna see if it's a legitimate review or if it just screams OMG THIS ISN'T SINK OR SWIM AGAIN THEY'RE NOT PUNK NO MORE
Back to top Go down
AmSlang59
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 3:16 pm

I'll be happy once there is a JadedPunkHulk review.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Kvxlq
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Interesting perspective. It's TOO punk, but at the same time re-treads the same ground they've covered before?
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm fine with them giving it a negative review, as I haven't heard the record, but if you took away the star rating, it seems to read pretty positively.
Back to top Go down
holdsteady82
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 4:03 pm

"It's as if they've made a musical cage of their youth and they need to flip the latch and get out of there"

I think Phil Sutcliffe's last line basically alludes to the same criticism that I mentioned in another post.

"I do have some criticism of Handwritten's lyrics (or moreso Fallon's lyrics in general) and it's not about quality of lyrics, it's more about content. My complaint is that every song seems to have the same theme/be about the same thing. At a younger age, I believe his lyrics would probably "hit home" for me a lot more, but at this point in my life they're not as likely to give me chills or make me shed a tear. I still respect Fallon's lyrics and definitely recognize the quality. I'd just love to see him mix it up a bit, throw in some different themes and life experiences."

I'm 29 and for every song to be about lost love or youth romance......it's just exhausting to me! If you're older and settled down (especially even married) I don't understand how this could be your only theme for writing lyrics.

So, while I'm surely going to give the album a better rating than Sutcliffe, I can definitely understand the last line of his review. I absolutely love TGA and their sound, but to be honest, I'm sick of hearing every song have the word "love" or "heart" in it, as Handwritten does.

Maybe I'm the only 29 yr. old on this forum who feels this way about the content of their lyrics.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Updated the OP accordingly. Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 7:16 pm

holdsteady82 wrote:
"It's as if they've made a musical cage of their youth and they need to flip the latch and get out of there"

I think Phil Sutcliffe's last line basically alludes to the same criticism that I mentioned in another post.

"I do have some criticism of Handwritten's lyrics (or moreso Fallon's lyrics in general) and it's not about quality of lyrics, it's more about content. My complaint is that every song seems to have the same theme/be about the same thing. At a younger age, I believe his lyrics would probably "hit home" for me a lot more, but at this point in my life they're not as likely to give me chills or make me shed a tear. I still respect Fallon's lyrics and definitely recognize the quality. I'd just love to see him mix it up a bit, throw in some different themes and life experiences."

I'm 29 and for every song to be about lost love or youth romance......it's just exhausting to me! If you're older and settled down (especially even married) I don't understand how this could be your only theme for writing lyrics.

So, while I'm surely going to give the album a better rating than Sutcliffe, I can definitely understand the last line of his review. I absolutely love TGA and their sound, but to be honest, I'm sick of hearing every song have the word "love" or "heart" in it, as Handwritten does.

Maybe I'm the only 29 yr. old on this forum who feels this way about the content of their lyrics.

Well, Keepsake apparently is about his dad who left when he was young. It's the one song we don't have all the lyrics to, but it seems pretty obvious from the lyrics in the sample that it is.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him explore other themes with Gaslight, as long as he keeps a project like the horrible crowes going. I love how the lyrics are instantly relatable, they're special to me and I don't want to see that side of Brian go completely away.

As I said in another post, I listened to the sample of Blue Dahlia and it was like "wow, I totally get this."
Spoiler:
And then the first few lines I read of National Anthem? Ripped my heart right out it hit so close to home.

Spoiler:
Boom.

No one out there is really making music like that, and though I wouldn't mind seeing what Fallon could do lyrically with other themes, I don't want to completely lose the relatability. It's one of the things that makes Gaslight, or moreso Brian's songwriting, truly special for me.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 1:50 pm

Stack 4.5/5

http://www.stack.net.au/music-reviews/490/The-Gaslight-Anthem/Handwritten

Not the most thorough review but a positive review nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks chanter.

I believe absolutepunk's review will be up tomorrow if not this week. I also think Thomas wrote it, as the previous two TGA album reviews were written by Chris Fallon.

To be honest, you probably won't find a more in depth and well written review around. (except maybe that rollling Stone article that they hinted at?) ha
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 7:30 pm

JJW319 wrote:
Thanks chanter.

I believe absolutepunk's review will be up tomorrow if not this week. I also think Thomas wrote it, as the previous two TGA album reviews were written by Chris Fallon.

To be honest, you probably won't find a more in depth and well written review around. (except maybe that rollling Stone article that they hinted at?) ha

Thomas replied to someone on twitter - his review will be up on absolutepunk tomorrow. And yes, everyone I can pretty much guarantee that this will be one of the most well thought out reviews we'll see. We already know it'll be really positive and he is admittedly a really big Gaslight fan in the first place but I think that when this review comes out our excitement is gonna shoot up even higher. His Elsie review was fantastic.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 7:46 pm

Does anyone get Rock Sound? Apparently in the issue out now there is a review (they give it a 8/10)
Back to top Go down
Philo
Wooderson
Wooderson
Philo

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 7:57 pm

It was reviewed in this months UNCUT magazine, 7/10. Review isn't avaliable online yet though.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 11:13 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
JJW319 wrote:
Thanks chanter.

Thomas replied to someone on twitter - his review will be up on absolutepunk tomorrow. And yes, everyone I can pretty much guarantee that this will be one of the most well thought out reviews we'll see. We already know it'll be really positive and he is admittedly a really big Gaslight fan in the first place but I think that when this review comes out our excitement is gonna shoot up even higher. His Elsie review was fantastic.

Excellent. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 6:22 am

here it is cheers

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2813352
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 6:25 am

I got chills reading the end of that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 6:30 am

Great review - very well thought out and constructed. But is it a little too effusive?

It's amazing the range of reviews we've seen so far. Everything from perfect 10s to 2s...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews   Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Collection of "Handwritten" Reviews
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next