DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice

Go down 
+19
Harbortown
bakerfall
DiamondSinatra
simo
Prisoner
Shrewsbury_Stars
azlisa
JimmyB
DeathoftheCool
Christophe
ral
Jack
StitchesOnTheRadio
White Man In Hammersmith
loazis
Klown
IrishNameAndAnInjury
plugga
LuceroDiehard
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 5:18 pm

From a guitar player's perspective, I see what you're saying.

However, as someone who's played in several bands (Jumped between drums, bass, guitars and vocals), it takes time to get comfortable playing with a solid group of people. TGA have been a band for seven years, sometimes the entrance of a new member isn't all smooth.

That's why a lot of bands sound bad on their first few shows after a long break. It can take time to find each other musically.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 5:35 pm

Harbortown wrote:
From a guitar player's perspective, I see what you're saying.

However, as someone who's played in several bands (Jumped between drums, bass, guitars and vocals), it takes time to get comfortable playing with a solid group of people. TGA have been a band for seven years, sometimes the entrance of a new member isn't all smooth.

That's why a lot of bands sound bad on their first few shows after a long break. It can take time to find each other musically.

This can all be true. It's also entirely possible that Ian is just not a great guitar player, or not a good fit.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 5:39 pm

But he is. I saw him with The Horrible Crowes. I know.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 5:58 pm

why on earth would they choose a bad guitarist to play with them live?
I mean they are not idiots, just be patient!!
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 5:59 pm

plugga wrote:

Because he's their friend, and he's there. He may not be as bad as he's sounded, but they could've gotten someone a LOT better.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:01 pm

bakerfall wrote:
plugga wrote:

Because he's their friend, and he's there. He may not be as bad as he's sounded, but they could've gotten someone a LOT better.

you realize that doesn't make sense? if he was just a mediocre player but a friend he would simply go on tour with them fixing their guitars.
Maybe it's just me.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:02 pm

plugga wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
plugga wrote:

you realize that doesn't make sense? if he was just a mediocre player but a friend he would simply go on tour with them fixing their guitars.
Maybe it's just me.

Not just you. Bakerfall is being irrational.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:22 pm

We already had this conversation. There's a whole thread about Ian where some valid points were made as to why he's there. Perhaps you should go over there and consider them. Unless you were part of the decision process, there's no way you know why Ian's there. You don't know anything about it. At least give Gaslight some credit for having some thought behind the decision instead of assuming they said "Hey, Ian's a nice guy. Who cares how he plays. Let's let him join!"

Still no one has proof Ian is messing up. There are three guitarists on stage and unless you have some kind of camera footage of each of them playing their individual parts the entire show, I don't see how you can carry on with this argument that he is solely responsible for any off notes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:26 pm

Question:

In the event the detractors of Ian can prove that Ian is not a good fit for the band (a nearly impossible task due to the nature of the question, being based on opinion), what can we do about it?
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:38 pm

MattL wrote:
Question:

In the event the detractors of Ian can prove that Ian is not a good fit for the band (a nearly impossible task due to the nature of the question, being based on opinion), what can we do about it?

obviously Ian's not going to stop playing just because some fans have found fault with his guitar work but that doesn't mean those fans shouldn't have an opinion.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:40 pm

There's having an opinion, and there's having an attitude.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:41 pm

MattL wrote:
Question:

Obviously light all of Gaslight's vinyl on fire and celebrate the death of the band. Duh.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Klown wrote:

Sure and that's a two way street. I'm not going to go on and on about Ian, I said my piece in the other thread. Some people agreed, some people didn't. I hope he does a great job on the new songs.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:47 pm

ral wrote:
Klown wrote:

Sure and that's a two way street. I'm not going to go on and on about Ian, I said my piece in the other thread. Some people agreed, some people didn't. I hope he does a great job on the new songs.

I agree, I wouldn't want this place turning into a certain other board, where you can't say a bad thing against a certain band, but when people coming in acting like THEIR opinion is final, na, no time to entertain that. No talking to those people.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:53 pm

To be fair-
If Ian does in fact prove to be a colossal screw up and kill everything I love about this band and its live show, then I will admit that maybe him joining was a bad idea. But for now, I just can't buy into the arguments presented.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:38 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
To be fair-
If Ian does in fact prove to be a colossal screw up and kill everything I love about this band and its live show, then I will admit that maybe him joining was a bad idea. But for now, I just can't buy into the arguments presented.

I don't think Ian will do any of these things. If you reread my first post, all I said is I don't think he should be out there for every song. Even if he was a totally serviceable guitar player, is it necessary?

And I truly love the band and hope he makes them better in the long run.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:01 pm

I like more guitars in a band to an extent. More guitars mean that players can do more technical stuff on their part. Then again, after I think 4 guitars- that is where it goes from more technical playing to just overkill.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:11 pm

Usually I think that three guitars can be a bit much. Bad Religion is a good example of that, whenever they have all three guitarists on stage the soundquality gets kinda weird...

However, The Gaslight Anthem isn't a band with two rhythm guitarists. It's a band with a lead guitarist and a rhythm guitarist. Two rhythm guitars never hurt anyone, rather I'd say it can improve their sound because I've always found Brian's guitar to be so quiet.
Back to top Go down
theBasemen
A Contender
A Contender
theBasemen

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen have delivered some decent stuff with three guitars through the years... With a look at the producer and the main-influences on this album, I think it won't be a big problem for TGA to use the three guitars in the right way.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Naked-Sweat-Drips/259797094
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:01 pm

YES! Foo Fighters are an excellent case. Pat, Chris & Dave. Plus they do that guitar battle in the middle of the set. That Pat isn't part of but never mind. I just love that Pat's there at all cus it's like punk rock history staring me right in the face.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:05 pm

The thing with E Street though is-It seems like Steve's guitar part is well....less than it used to be...Compare a video from The River tour, to a video from The magic, Working on a dream, or WreckingBall tour. Yes I am aware of Nils being an amazing guitarist, and yes I am aware they are all older. But still, it seems like Nils gets most of the guitar work, then Bruce, and steve gets what is left...usually backround strumming that is too much for Patti (No hate to Patti, but, she really does not add much Guitar-wise IMO)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:05 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I just love that Pat's there at all cus it's like punk rock history staring me right in the face.

High Five
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Camus wrote:
plugga wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
plugga wrote:

Maybe it's just me.

I agree completely. Those guys are way too focused on getting the sound they want to just be nice to a friend. Also, if you heard Ian play Horrible Crowes stuff you'd know he's good.

Also, based on that logic, the entire band should just got find normal 9-5 jobs because you could find someone a LOT better at guitar than Brian, Alex & Alex.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:45 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Camus wrote:
plugga wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
plugga wrote:

Maybe it's just me.

I agree completely. Those guys are way too focused on getting the sound they want to just be nice to a friend. Also, if you heard Ian play Horrible Crowes stuff you'd know he's good.

Also, based on that logic, the entire band should just got find normal 9-5 jobs because you could find someone a LOT better at guitar than Brian, Alex & Alex.

I'm sure there is more too it that that, I just don't know what he's adding to their sound, I guess well see with the new songs.

Alex R is pretty good, definitely unique. He's pretty spot on, when no too drunk.

Brian is the real talent because of the song writing/singing. I agree his playing is nothing special

Alex L is a bass player, nough said Smile. He's fine.

Benny is probably the best musician in the band, outstanding drummer.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Benny's not really that exceptional, though I love his style.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next