DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice

Go down 
+19
Harbortown
bakerfall
DiamondSinatra
simo
Prisoner
Shrewsbury_Stars
azlisa
JimmyB
DeathoftheCool
Christophe
ral
Jack
StitchesOnTheRadio
White Man In Hammersmith
loazis
Klown
IrishNameAndAnInjury
plugga
LuceroDiehard
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 7:23 pm

JimmyB wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
why?
Because apparently they think Brian is ripping Bruce off every single minute of his life.

bruce springsteen's my favorite musician, but based on what i've seen on the internet, hardcore bruce fans are often major assholes
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Yes they can be.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:24 pm

how true is this?
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:29 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
why?
Because apparently they think Brian is ripping Bruce off every single minute of his life.

bruce springsteen's my favorite musician, but based on what i've seen on the internet, hardcore bruce fans are often major assholes

I will say that people at the BTX are a lot nastier and more snobbish than the people here. I met some real friends here; can't say that about the BTX
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:54 pm

bobbyw24 wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
why?

I will say that people at the BTX are a lot nastier and more snobbish than the people here. I met some real friends here; can't say that about the BTX

This is, of course, an over-generalization, but a large contingent of the BTX community are nasty middle-aged weirdos who stopped acknowledging any new music after the Darkness on the Edge of Town tour ended.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
bobbyw24 wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
why?

This is, of course, an over-generalization, but a large contingent of the BTX community are nasty middle-aged weirdos who stopped acknowledging any new music after the Darkness on the Edge of Town tour ended.
Do you want me to link one of the "78 is better than 2012" threads?
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 10:13 pm

mother of god.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 10:18 pm

plugga wrote:
mother of god.
I kid you not. There are a few threads like that, and another saying that Bruce basically needs to get over Clarence, so he can play jungleland again.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 7:54 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:
i'm pretty sure in a video of 45 at the roxy they lowered it a half step, so they're definitely working on that one. i feel like the same thing happened during american slang, the footage from bonnaroo seemed pretty rough on their part, but by the time they were playing in europe they were SO on their game. area 4 and hammersmith come to mind. this is all just based off youtube but theyre just getting back into it again, wouldn't worry.

haha I saw that video. They changed the key, but because of that Alex messed up his solo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Prisoner wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
i'm pretty sure in a video of 45 at the roxy they lowered it a half step, so they're definitely working on that one. i feel like the same thing happened during american slang, the footage from bonnaroo seemed pretty rough on their part, but by the time they were playing in europe they were SO on their game. area 4 and hammersmith come to mind. this is all just based off youtube but theyre just getting back into it again, wouldn't worry.

haha I saw that video. They changed the key, but because of that Alex messed up his solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiOjxTb8vcQ

There's probably a better quality, but it certainly sounds better when he's not singing so high. I hope Brian chooses to keep it like this, I mean it sounds brilliant on the record but personally, I feel for the man. I rewatched the livestream and his voice cracking made my heart sink, I just knew he was killing himself on the inside for screwing up.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 9:51 pm

MattL wrote:

There's probably a better quality, but it certainly sounds better when he's not singing so high. I hope Brian chooses to keep it like this, I mean it sounds brilliant on the record but personally, I feel for the man. I rewatched the livestream and his voice cracking made my heart sink, I just knew he was killing himself on the inside for screwing up.

wow, that venue looks awesome. so close to the band! and seems as though the crowd even knows the words already which is cool.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 9:52 pm

I'm too lazy to compare right now but didn't they lower the key of Old White Lincoln from the record when they play it live?
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 10:55 pm

azlisa wrote:
MattL wrote:

wow, that venue looks awesome. so close to the band! and seems as though the crowd even knows the words already which is cool.

MHOW (Brooklyn) was like that- I was no more than 5 feet from Brian. And the crowed was more pumped than the cameras made it seem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 12:04 am

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
bobbyw24 wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
why?

As an intense Bruce fan myself, I prefer the Greasy Lake community. They're a bit nicer and Gaslight news does get mentioned on there sometimes. I don't spend nearly as much time on there though because this is definitely more of a community.

Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 2:30 am

simo wrote:
I'm too lazy to compare right now but didn't they lower the key of Old White Lincoln from the record when they play it live?

bring it on is the only one i can think of where the changed the key, but yeah sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 2:59 pm

I think they need to lower "45" to C, at Db it's still a bit strained.

From what I've heard of the first few shows, they definitely need more practice. They also need to not have Ian play on everything, because he's mediocre at best. Just superfluous and unnecessary to have him playing, and he's only noticeable when he screws up.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Can Ian play more than 3 shows before we judge him?

Also, if you count the video shoot. I've heard him with the band 2 of the 4 times they've played so far with him full time and have yet to hear him screw up.

Also they don't "need" to do anything. It's their decision.

Sorry if this comes off rude. I don't mean to be a jerk. I'm just tired of all the Ian bashing.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 3:57 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Can Ian play more than 3 shows before we judge him?

Also, if you count the video shoot. I've heard him with the band 2 of the 4 times they've played so far with him full time and have yet to hear him screw up.

Also they don't "need" to do anything. It's their decision.

Sorry if this comes off rude. I don't mean to be a jerk. I'm just tired of all the Ian bashing.
Seriously.

It's fine to have an opinion, but if you want to make demands about how things should be handled, start your own band.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:03 pm

It's not Ian bashing, it's analysis from a guitar player. It just doesn't need to be there. Of course they can do what they want, and of course it's their band. I love their band, I just want it to be as good as it can be.

It's hard to give a lot of examples, but Ian is behind and out of tune on this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEs5NwXQo1M
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:24 pm

How do you know that's Ian? Like Harbortown said, it's fine to have an opinion, but your judgement isn't sound at all.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:28 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
How do you know that's Ian? Like Harbortown said, it's fine to have an opinion, but your judgement isn't sound at all.

It's obviously not Alex, and pretty sure it isn't Brian.

My "logic" is that as a guitar player, between the you tube videos and the stream from Brooklyn, Ian is not adding anything positive to the music. That's all. I know he's their friend, I know he's been around a long time and I think he's a nice guy. I just don't think he's adding to the music, and maybe occasionally he's hurting it.

If you guys think he's great, that's fine, but my opinion isn't any less valid than yours because it's different.

Point of reference, Pearl Jam is my favorite band of all time and I still despise most of what Boom has brought to the table. It's possible to love a band, and question membership changes.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:31 pm

I'll tell you what I told the fella on the other thread:

It's cool to express an opinion, but it's not mine or your position to decide whether or not Ian belongs there. The band made the call to add Ian and we should respect that, given they made it this far based on judgements like that. That said, how they sound with Ian is totally on the table for discussion - personally I think he should sit out songs like I'da Called You Woody.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:37 pm

My opinion has NOTHING to do with what Ian is like personally and 100% about how they sound with him playing.

Bottom line, he's playing rhythm guitar on Gaslight Anthem songs. At the very least you should be able to be invisible. Now there maybe songs on the new record that are so complex a 3rd guitar part is needed, we'll see about that.

Having him out there for every song, instead of just when Brian wants to try singing without a guitar on "OWL" or "Cowgirls"... m'eh.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Yeah, I heard him mess up a couple times. But imagine how they'll sound when he can flawlessly play through the songs. I think one of the reasons why they're including him the way they are now is because Brian wants the band to have a bigger, richer, and basically a more ballsier sound haha. It's like playing around on a 12 string - go from strumming some chords on that to playing a 6 string...you'll see a pretty noticeable difference. I think they know what they're doing, and I think it will eventually help the band a lot and help them acquire that huge sound they're looking for.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:50 pm

NicholasHorror wrote:
Yeah, I heard him mess up a couple times. But imagine how they'll sound when he can flawlessly play through the songs. I think one of the reasons why they're including him the way they are now is because Brian wants the band to have a bigger, richer, and basically a more ballsier sound haha. It's like playing around on a 12 string - go from strumming some chords on that to playing a 6 string...you'll see a pretty noticeable difference. I think they know what they're doing, and I think it will eventually help the band a lot and help them acquire that huge sound they're looking for.

I'm all for them trying to get that sound, but it isn't going to be from Ian. He's not good enough, sorry.

Look, it's not personal, it's musical ability. I've played guitar for almost 20 years and it's from that point of view that I'm talking. Gaslight songs, even the leads, are largely simple. The rhythm, aside from occasionally off beat strumming sections, are tremendously easy. If they want to add a 12 string part, or an acoustic part, or a keyboard part, that's fine. Then hire someone good enough to add value and change to the music. That's all.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice    Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian reportedly told fan in L.A. that the Band Needs More Practice
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next