DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bruce Springsteen

Go down 
+118
shiftynj
brunswick18
NotLikeWeBleed
bt211
Johnny 99
The Angry Johnny Revue
reitzel6570
kappanera
The_River
Debonair
Anya_TGA
TheMagnificentDreamer
Jaws
moosicmaniac
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Thunder Peel
BossTime
songs like a comfort
f1schu111
oh_megan
moconnell23
BuddyHolly
Raoul_Duke
DiamondSinatra
NYYFAN523
bringiton_ty
Definitely_Josef
Shorestyle69
acousticbandit
HeroOfVirtue
Emusic
onbackstreetsinbackseats
gtalbott
StitchesOnTheRadio
QuizzlyBear
CapedAvenger
03aarm
40 Miler
rumham
ral
covsc1922
Mikael
redheadchick
_rebekka_
Klown
bringiton
The Poet Jonah
joshyboytyler
Camus
TGAforLIFE
steph
nico0493
Christophe
I Came To Dance
mingus
eremitapa
Stalls_Standing
Gaslight23
Rizz
NeverTrustAJunkie
AngryJohnnyN1930
TGAFAN25
eagles1139
Mipi
Bea
Fiddler
Holland
luckyman
ThisMachineKillsFascists
dm1234
theBasemen
Daire
backseat99
Labhras
Álvaro
Down by the Mersey
luckysparks
plugga
Ghost
jzancan
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Jerseyrain
DeathoftheCool
Matilda Noir
Philo
IrishNameAndAnInjury
brucesboots
Harbortown
riversedge
JimmyB
RobertODonnell
chickenman
Shrewsbury_Stars
Grant Michael
LuceroDiehard
chrissylovesbruce
Jay
Jack
MKULTRA
kieran
Ryan
Johnny99
e7c
simo
sarahjay
AmandaC.
steady now steady now
Scarlett
thecosmickid
drifter69
Angry Johnny
stephendgaf
Shipyards
Jukebox Romeo
ambrose
JoshRaymond
PatientFabiWheel
Forum Owner
122 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 3:34 am

i'm still excited to hear it. i'm always excited for more Bruce. but it is kind of a downer that its not all new music.

not that there's anything wrong with the releasing of covers and old songs in and of itself. i'd just prefer new music, as i'm sure most would.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 10:50 am

Damn. Well, it's better than nothing, I suppose. High Hopes sounds good but I don't really like Dream Baby Dream all that much. In general it's bound to be a mixed bag, because that's literally what it is.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Rizz
A Contender
A Contender
Rizz

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Dream Baby Dream was very powerful live when I saw him perform it a couple of weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 1:28 pm

So how many of the songs on the tracklisting are covers and how many are original songs?
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 2:19 pm

the song High Hopes is amazing, I love it
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 2:59 pm

Jack wrote:
Damn. Well, it's better than nothing, I suppose. High Hopes sounds good but I don't really like Dream Baby Dream all that much. In general it's bound to be a mixed bag, because that's literally what it is.
I could just as well not listen to High Hopes ever again. I'm hoping for a few good, new songs and that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 3:13 pm

I'm really disappointed by High Hopes (y'all should listen to High Hopes by Pink Floyd instead because it's one of the best songs ever written), I'm hoping he'll start come back more to the guitar driven rock he did in the 80s. Not a fan of all this folk stuff he's been getting into.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 4:32 pm

Harbortown wrote:
I'm hoping he'll start come back more to the guitar driven rock he did in the 80s. Not a fan of all this folk stuff he's been getting into.
Agreed heavily. I know he'll never go back to the Born To Run days (a boy can dream, though) but I'd take Born In The USA over the folky stuff any day.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Agreed. I wish he would go back to "Magic" era.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Upon first listen it didn't really strike me either...I'll still get the record but I shall be going into it with lowered expectations.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 7:49 pm

Magic was the best.
High Hopes i really don't know what to make of it. will definitely listen, not really expecting a ton, just like Romeo ^
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Magic was the best.
High Hopes i really don't know what to make of it. will definitely listen, not really expecting a ton, just like Romeo ^
Magic was definitely the best album out of all of his newer stuff without question.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Are you counting The Rising? Because that album tops anything since Born In The USA, easily.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 1:15 pm

I'll contend that while both The Rising and Magic are his best records since Born in the USA, Ghost of Tom Joad is a phenomenal album and the first two tracks on Human Touch are fantastic.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 1:47 pm

Jack wrote:
Are you counting The Rising? Because that album tops anything since Born In The USA, easily.
Very good point....I probably listen to The Rising more than Magic to be honest
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 2:19 pm

I actually think Wrecking Ball is the best of this century from Bruce.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Too many lyrics about bankers. The compositions are too much like beefed-up folk songs for my liking.
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 1:03 am

Jack wrote:
Too many lyrics about bankers. The compositions are too much like beefed-up folk songs for my liking.
I'm surprised the lyrics were as well received as they were on that album. The whole 'blue collar worker against the big bad banker' shtick felt so lazy and shallow to me. That subtext runs through a lot of his work, but he glossed over the nuances and complexities to the point of parody on Wrecking Ball IMO.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 3:28 am

I'd put Magic as my third favorite Bruce album, on par with the River with Darkness and Born to Run ahead of it
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 4:42 am

who knew there was this much love for Magic? I remember reading reviews in the paper that said "I listened to it once and threw it in the trash" haha.
Back to top Go down
Rizz
A Contender
A Contender
Rizz

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 am

Magic is my favorite album from the reunion era. There really isn't a bad song on the album. The Rising is a distant second.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 11:40 am

Side note: It's funny that while The Rising is known as this super-serious, earnest album it actually has the last signs of the swinging good-time Bruce of the '70s (Mary's Place). Livin' In The Future SOUNDS like this but the political lyrics ruin the party.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 1:15 am

the "swinging good-time Bruce" is much more present in the Seeger Sessions album than the Rising for me.

it's a bunch of people making music together in a barn. it's cut live. it's musicianship rather than painstaking songcraft that takes center stage. it is so so communal. and the songs themselves reinforce that communality. so while there are definitely somber spots on the album, the communal/party feel of the whole thing makes it more of a "good time" record than the Rising.

that's how i feel about that. i have a feeling that many people feel differently, and i totally get that.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 3:48 am

I'll have to return to the Seeger Sessions again, I have a much high appreciation for that type of thing now than I did when it came out.
But yeah, if someone hates on Magic here they're gonna have to come through me first. One of my favorite albums of all time
And for Living in the Future, I really like the disconnect between the lyrics and the sound. It's like a musical contradiction that's really interesting to listen to
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 4:37 am

MKULTRA wrote:
the "swinging good-time Bruce" is much more present in the Seeger Sessions album than the Rising for me.

it's a bunch of people making music together in a barn. it's cut live. it's musicianship rather than painstaking songcraft that takes center stage. it is so so communal. and the songs themselves reinforce that communality. so while there are definitely somber spots on the album, the communal/party feel of the whole thing makes it more of a "good time" record than the Rising.

that's how i feel about that. i have a feeling that many people feel differently, and i totally get that.
Well yeah, of course it is. But I don't need to hear any of the songs from Seeger Sessions again in my life. I don't like when Bruce goes full folk. Bores me to tears, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Bruce Springsteen - Page 33 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bruce Springsteen
Page 33 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next