DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')

Go down 
+122
Breanne
RobG20
charlesepting
Jack
azlisa
crutchfield
ManasquanMike
Chappers
kirstyt
bobbyjames
chickenman
loazis
acousticbandit
PC89
ksupilot
Matilda Noir
gaslightfan89
xstevenbx
bt211
thebiglebowski
The Boxer
AngryJohnnyN1930
steady now steady now
DaleCooper
stephendgaf
holdonnow
songs like a comfort
moonlight
turnitin2004
thebar1963
Midnight Rambler
nickyno
Casey
Labhras
luckyman
Heart_Strings
rem999
Down by the Mersey
NYYFAN523
e7c
Velocity
03aarm
'49mercury
TGA30
enola
NeverTrustAJunkie
heartlikeatomb
TGAFAN25
nico0493
Nik-Bicanski
rsj
Holland
Jerseyrain
NDTGA
Pridevsprose
SirBrad
Yozzy
JimmyB
simo
Rizz
fake_empire
Danieljsmith
Arctander
StitchesOnTheRadio
MKULTRA
A_Regular
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
marcsnitz
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
rikerd21
nyranger66
Hanswurst
nebraska
colmillionaire
IKeeptheDiner
EveryLittleSecret
fullcollapse
brianisbae
Stalls_Standing
Vibes
DaveSavedTheDay
Kosburn59
rgillies
CluckyB
mercyandaminute
JJW319
YouCanCallMeSally
Prisoner
J_Bizness
AmSlang59
The Angry Johnny Revue
DeathoftheCool
mingus
RobertODonnell
SouthJerseyTGA
LuceroDiehard
steph
HorribleCrowe
Shrewsbury_Stars
Van Der Twix
Steve70s
TGAforLIFE
Debonair
njguy99
Forum Owner
riversedge
IAmDisappeared
big blue
jeffrey2
Bea
jonnyz83
Don Carlo
brucesboots
plugga
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Harbortown
bringiton
Camus
ghosttocoast
Christophe
Klown
126 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage
nickyno
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:03 pm

"I used to hear when she was sleeping in my arms the Better Senses?"(not accurate lyrics only listened thrice)Hot Water Music nod? Better Sense is Brian's favorite HWM song.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:03 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Klown wrote:
riversedge wrote:
It sounds like The Gaslight Anthem

This.
Can you try being a bit more convincing?

maybe he's not trying to convince anyone to agree with him, but simply stating his feeling about the song. tongue
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

I've been waiting for a long Gaslight record for some time.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:04 pm

simo wrote:
People act like Blink-182 is a bad word but they influenced probably every remotely pop-punk sounding band out there today.
I agree with you.

Without the whole 90s mainstream punk scene, I'm not sure The Gaslight Anthem would sound the way they do today. That doesn't necessarily mean the band sees that genre as a direct inspiration but it definitely shaped the genre in a way.
Back to top Go down
nico0493
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
nico0493

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Labhras wrote:
lyrics and chords already. i love this forum.
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

simo wrote:
People act like Blink-182 is a bad word but they influenced probably every remotely pop-punk sounding band out there today.

This. They are a huge reason why I started playing guitar, and also got into rock in general.
Also, Travis Barker is a hell of a drummer.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:05 pm

steph wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Klown wrote:
riversedge wrote:

This.

maybe he's not trying to convince anyone to agree with him, but simply stating his feeling about the song. tongue

That is my feeling yes!
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:05 pm

steph wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Klown wrote:
riversedge wrote:

This.

I didn't say that to be uppity or anything, I just want to know why he thinks the way he does.

It is a discussion board, after all.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

Prisoner wrote:

and do I hear autotune?

which parts?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:06 pm

I just got so excited and happy when I saw the song was up I almost puked.

I'm not completely blown away by it, but I'm pretty sure it'll grow on me after a bit, or after I hear it with the rest of the songs. That's what happened with American Slang, anyway!

I'm gonna have to agree with John, here though. At the very beginning I immediately thought of Ocean Avenue.
Back to top Go down
Midnight Rambler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Midnight Rambler

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:07 pm

I can kinda see how it sounds like Blink-182, in the same way that I could kinda see initially how people said '59 Sound sounded like The Killers. But after a couple of listens to me it is very very gaslight and very very awesome. Hey ho, opinions opinions.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm not trying to start an argument on anything, I don't see the Blink reference, just like many others dont, I do see the big pop-punk production reference, that's it, but there's quite a few bands you can relate that too. I do hear a new Gaslight Anthem song, and I'm not going to worry about trying to work out who it might sound like, I'm just happy I have my favourite band back.

EDIT : and I care even less about discussing the point now after your uppity comment about assuming that you are the only Blink fan because you feel that others treat them as a dirty word, thus making your point more valid than others. That's just a childish schoolyard approach and I couldn't be fecked approaching the matter with that hanging over it.

Last edited by Klown on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Harbortown wrote:
steph wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Klown wrote:
riversedge wrote:

This.

I didn't say that to be uppity or anything, I just want to know why he thinks the way he does.

OMG HOLY SHIT i was not aware. thank you for opening my eyes. if i was oblivious to this fact this whole time, what else have i been missing? i need to reeavaluate my entire life Shocked
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

riversedge wrote:
I've been waiting for a long Gaslight record for some time.

I know!! One hour of brand new Gaslight?!?! I think I'm going to go crazy... This has the potential to be the most played vinyl out of any Gaslight vinyls. Period.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Labhras wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
It is not very Blink-182. Blink-182's not even very Blink-182.

Quote :
Blink 182 couldn't write a song like "45" if they tried.
Agreed.

Harbor-

Please list every Blink-182 song you think this sounds like and maybe we might see your point.
There's really no point in doing that because you guys will nitpick the elements of the songs that distinguish TGA from Blink 182, but fine.

-Feeling this
-Always
-First date
-The rock show
-Going away to college

As far as Yellowcard is concerned, listen to Ocean avenue. Either way, all of this boils down to chord progression, stylistic melody lines and other theory jibber jabber.
I think you people have a hard time agreeing with me because blink-182 is considered a bit of a taboo band to be compared to. Don't be afraid to look at it objectively.
do you know the chord progression? i kinda assumed it'd be typical gaslight Am F C G type stuff. (not necessarily in that key but you know what i mean)
Intro
Cm - A# - Cm - A#
Cm - A# - G# - A# - B

Verse
D# - A# - Cm - A#

Pre-chorus
G# - A#

Chorus
Cm - G# - D# - A#
Cm - G# - D# - A#
D# - A# - Cm - G#
D# - A# - Cm - G#

thanks man! that seems like the usually gaslight chords, although in a different key to usual. i guess i can't think of a song of theirs that has the chords in the order that they are in the verse, was that what you meant?
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:08 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:

I'm not completely blown away by it, but I'm pretty sure it'll grow on me after a bit, or after I hear it with the rest of the songs. That's what happened with American Slang, anyway!

I'm gonna have to agree with John, here though. At the very beginning I immediately thought of Ocean Avenue.

How? I've heard that album/song hundreds of times and hear no similarities. Ocean Avenue opens with palm muted power chords...
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

I like this more than I liked American Slang when it first debuted.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:09 pm

Prisoner wrote:
I agree that it kinda sounds Blink 182-ish

also the intro sounds like Count Your Bruises from the Flatliners

and do I hear autotune?

His voice is definitely processed, but that's not unusual for a BO'B record. It's kind of swimming in the music.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:09 pm

steph wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
steph wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Klown wrote:
riversedge wrote:

This.

OMG HOLY SHIT i was not aware. thank you for opening my eyes. if i was oblivious to this fact this whole time, what else have i been missing? i need to reeavaluate my entire life Shocked
MI-AOW! you're sexy when you're mad
Back to top Go down
Midnight Rambler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Midnight Rambler

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 pm

simo wrote:
I like this more than I liked American Slang when it first debuted.

Same here, my favorite first listen to a Gaslight song since '59 Sound. Or maybe Diamond Church Street Choir...
Back to top Go down
nico0493
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
nico0493

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 pm

I love the way the lyrics are very simple but if you think about it they are very well thought and deep. "Turn the record and turn the engine on" .... Forget your ghosts and run somewhere new, Brian will meet you on the flipside
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm

steph wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
steph wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Klown wrote:
riversedge wrote:

This.

Wow, sarcasm!

That's so original and fresh!
Back to top Go down
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender
YouCanCallMeSally

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Labhras wrote:
YouCanCallMeSally wrote:
bringiton wrote:
Anyone wants to listen obsessively on repeat, it's streaming here already

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/zanelowe/

"not available in your area" damn it! imma have to wait Sad
haha hard luck ian! i'm sure you'll be able to hear it on yer man's blog though

so you decided to call me ian now?? Laughing

I'm with Harbortown on this. And I am not saying it sounds exactely like Blink (nor is H), it just reminds me of Blink. A little.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/rubychaos
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Labhras wrote:
steph wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
steph wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Klown wrote:
riversedge wrote:

This.

MI-AOW! you're sexy when you're mad

Razz Hug <--- that's a sexy hug, just FYI
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Casey wrote:
stepsandnumbers wrote:

How? I've heard that album/song hundreds of times and hear no similarities. Ocean Avenue opens with palm muted power chords...
See that's what I'm talking about. You're nitpicking details instead of seeing the similarities in a grander context.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 21 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')
Page 21 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 39  Next