DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Elsie Review

Go down 
+55
Jerseyrain
AngryJohnnyN1930
Holland
chickenman
NeverTrustAJunkie
Tobbo
scarsrsouvenirs
Bea
eagles1139
cockypessimist
J.B.R.
Ghost
JimmyB
enola
bt211
I Came To Dance
simo
Angry Johnny
Vibes
myfuneralparty
Shrewsbury_Stars
Silver
The M
steady now steady now
Christophe
spgilbert
acousticbandit
JukeboxJuliet
I am Incinerator
Debonair
MKULTRA
Harbortown
bablor
Daire
Kilgore Trout
EstreetTramp
CluckyB
StopAndSlideToTheRight
carryon820
vamike
plugga
Phil Rockabill
loazis
MikeSig
RobertODonnell
moosicmaniac
Prisoner
riversedge
Jay
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
stephendgaf
efofex
steffuhnee
fullcollapse
DeathoftheCool
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Crush may be the song of the decade. It's amazing how the song's musical dynamism is able to overcome the somewhat cheesy "I've got a crush on you" line.

GOD'S GONNA TROUBLE THE WATERS!!!!
Back to top Go down
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:49 pm

I just finished listening to this for the 4th time through at work. I think it actually gets better than amazing the more times you listen to it. It keeps sweeing me away so hard that I'm having a really hard time concentrating on anything else.

My favorite tracks (so far) are 'Black Betty & The Moon', 'I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together' and 'Behold The Hurricane'. I'm not a huge fan of 'Crush'....but then again, I hated 'American Slang' when I first got it.
Back to top Go down
The M
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
Crush may be the song of the decade. It's amazing how the song's musical dynamism is able to overcome the somewhat cheesy "I've got a crush on you" line.

GOD'S GONNA TROUBLE THE WATERS!!!!
So true. The end of the song is simply staggering. Takes the song to a completely different level.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 5:19 pm

Having just listened to this right through for the fourth time, each time wholly undisturbed, but finally on the big system, all I can say that this album is absolutely, outstandingly, mesmerisingly, stunningly superb; I was just bowled over by the whole sound, the nuances, the instrumentation, the subtle vocals, the atmosphere, the ... everything.

I have my issues with Ted Hutt and the production on The '59 Sound and, for different reasons, on American Slang, but I can honestly say that in over a decade I have never heard an album on my big system which sounded this good.

I am just grateful for this album. Words now fail me.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 5:23 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Having just listened to this right through for the fourth time, each time wholly undisturbed, but finally on the big system, all I can say that this album is absolutely, outstandingly, mesmerisingly, stunningly superb; I was just bowled over by the whole sound, the nuances, the instrumentation, the subtle vocals, the atmosphere, the ... everything.

I have my issues with Ted Hutt and the production on The '59 Sound and, for different reasons, on American Slang, but I can honestly say that in over a decade I have never heard an album on my big system which sounded this good.

I am just grateful for this album. Words now fail me.

You've said it better than my "ashdsafhjk" EVER could, brother.
Back to top Go down
myfuneralparty
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
myfuneralparty

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 6:08 pm

All the slower (ish) songs seem to be my favorites. Sugar, Cherry Blossoms, Blood Loss and I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together. The last one being my favorite of the entire album, hands down. Seems I'm in the minority about that song, but it kills me more than any other track.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 6:09 pm

Ladykiller is straight fire
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 6:13 pm

ok...i have officially changed my mind about 'Crush'. it's killer.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 6:15 pm

Wow, those backing vocals on Black Betty by Brian are really high

around 2:13
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 6:25 pm

it's pretty good, it's no gaslight but i enjoy it. enjoyed it more than i thought i would to be honest. favorites are sugar (could cut 30sec-1min out though it seems long), go tell everybody (catchy little number), mary ann (just great) and i believe jesus brought us together.
Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 6:57 pm

myfuneralparty wrote:
All the slower (ish) songs seem to be my favorites. Sugar, Cherry Blossoms, Blood Loss and I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together. The last one being my favorite of the entire album, hands down. Seems I'm in the minority about that song, but it kills me more than any other track.

I'll happily be in that minority with you. That last track guts me most of all. Smile
Back to top Go down
Angry Johnny
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Angry Johnny

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 11:00 pm

id have to agree with the comments above. only songs i cant really get into are ladykiller and crush. however, they are starting to grow on me. i do feel like each time i listen to the record, i hear new sounds as well. not sure what that "in the air tonight" sounding drum solo in mary ann is all about either...
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Finally got to hear Cherry Blossoms.

I'm honestly somewhat speechless. The rest of the album ranges from "good" to "very good" but I mean "If I drove straight off this bridge only God and my baby would know. And I'm sure she'd be laughing, congering spring with some fellow that just said the right thing". Too soon to tell, but might rival Blue Jeans and 1930 for Brian's best song writing.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Angry Johnny wrote:
id have to agree with the comments above. only songs i cant really get into are ladykiller and crush. however, they are starting to grow on me. i do feel like each time i listen to the record, i hear new sounds as well. not sure what that "in the air tonight" sounding drum solo in mary ann is all about either...

If I remember right the drums in the studio were used on that song or something like that so they put in that drum part as a bit of an homage.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 3:02 am

Best moment of the album for me is when cherry blossoms picks up into the tom waits-esque "see all i can do" part. incredible
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 3:38 am

Angry Johnny wrote:

I was the same way. There was a few tracks in the middle I wasn't sure about, but now that I've spun it a few times, Elsie is totally on par with anything he's ever done. Unbelievable.
Back to top Go down
steffuhnee
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
steffuhnee

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 3:54 am

Ahhh, 12 days until I see the Horrible Crowes in LA and the day after as well!
I casually told my mother today,
even though I’m old now and I shouldn’t have to be afraid to ask
‘CAUSE I AM OLDERRRR NAOOOOO
AND WE DID IT WHEN WE WERE YOUNG.

Woops, wrong thread. O:

But I REALLY love Crush!
"I know a secret, everybody tell,
Who goes to heaven and who goes to hell,
I know one thing sure is true,
I never kept a secret, I got a crush on you...”

I HAVE 12 DAYS TO MEMORIZE THE LYRICS/SONGS.
I’m going to listen to each song religiously.

AWWWWW YEAHHHHH.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 3:59 am

Steph, Cara will be on the phone with me the ENTIRE TIME. er, well, have me on the phone, presumably in her pocket. I will rely on you for pictures! You guys have to be my eyes and ears for this awesome event!
Back to top Go down
steffuhnee
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
steffuhnee

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 5:21 am

fullcollapse wrote:
Steph, Cara will be on the phone with me the ENTIRE TIME. er, well, have me on the phone, presumably in her pocket. I will rely on you for pictures! You guys have to be my eyes and ears for this awesome event!
AHAHAHHA!
Yes, ma’am I will be taking millions of pictures for you and for anyone else. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
efofex
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
efofex

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 6:50 am

steffuhnee wrote:
fullcollapse wrote:
AHAHAHHA!
Yes, ma’am I will be taking millions of pictures for you and for anyone else. Very Happy

Oh heyyy. I'll probably be there, so just because I know this, I'm gonna try to photobomb every picture I see being taken. Heyyyyy.

Just wondering, what part of LA are you from?
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 7:08 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Best moment of the album for me is when cherry blossoms picks up into the tom waits-esque "see all i can do" part. incredible

My best moment probably has to be the build up at the end of Go Tell Everybody, Brian going from whispering to screaming, and the strings in the background. Absolutely breathtaking.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 8:15 am

I've given the record over ten listens now I think and I feel like writing down my thoughts.

First of all, I think it is damn good. The first listen didn't blow me away in the manner that I had hoped but after giving it the attention it deserves I can't conclude otherwise than that Elsie shows some damn fine musical craftsmanship of the highest quality. At times it is relaxing, at times it haunts you like a specter, at times it brings you to tears but every single song on the record is interesting and intense.

"Last Rites" is a nice to start things off with and it sets the mood well. I think it was steadynow who said that if "Sugar" got covered by a major pop/rnb artist it would be a guaranteed hit. I can't help but agree, the song is so good. It's just so... sweaty. "Behold The Hurricane" is a fantastic song, without a doubt. I'm afraid I listened to it a few times too often though before I had the full album, so it is kinda difficult for me to look at it like at the other tracks on the album. The bridge is amazing and blows me away every time: 'I heard the moon has visions of her nightly / I heard the might rivers cry out her name / I saw the heavens and the earth cry over you'. Insane.

At first listen "I Witnessed A Crime" sounded sorta out of place to me. The main riff with the organ sounded a little bit too upbeat I thought. I've had to adjust my opinion about that and I like it a lot right now. "Go Tell Everybody" is intense, especially the chorus and the outro. The outro really makes the song shine in my opinion. Who doesn't love that Brian roar? "Cherry Blossoms" reminds me of The National and I like The National. For now, the song is not that interesting to me though. I am sure we will get to like each other better once we've spent some more time together. It's nice and mellow after the sympathy growling.

"Ladykiller" (when I look at the booklet and the lyrics I see it named "Lady Killer" while the album back and the computer say "Ladykiller" by the way. I'll go with "Ladykiller".) is my stand-out track. Holy damn, it's good. The contrast between the mellow verse vocals in the beginning to the chorus and beyond is magical, only to do the same thing to me again in the bridge. The arrangement is brilliant and the lyrics are amazing, especially the chorus. 'Lady killer got the two of us' slaps me in the face every time. It kills. The laughing stings like a nest of hornets as well and I can see them pointing at me with their bony fingers every time the song ends. I don't even know if that is what they went for but hey, it happens. When it transitions into "Crush", I'm sold. I feel that the song has this quasi-immature edge to it that goes really well with the vocal style. Let's call it... controlled yelling? I don't know how to call it, but I love it when Brian does it. The outro is beautiful.

"Mary Ann" is a nice song. That's all I have to say about it right now. It doesn't do anything that special to me at the moment. "Black Betty And The Moon" suffers from the same fate as "Behold The Hurricane" in that I had heard so many times already. Quite frankly, I am a little bit disappointed by the final song. I loved the preview and I really hoped the whole song would be more like that. However, the final track consists of the brilliant two verses and choruses we heard in the preview and then gives us a bridge and a final extended chorus. Normally, I would love this song because of the first part but I can't help but feel let down by the fact that the preview was basically the best and the biggest part of the song. I wanted more of that intro riff and those verses. Ah well, I'm sure it'll work out.

I love "Blood Loss" and I have to smile every time the chorus starts. In my mind I sing 'YEEAAAH YEEAAAH' after 'OOVVEERRRR' "Baba O'Riley" style. Can't stop. "I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together" is a beautiful closer. It really does remind me of the way that "We Did It When We Were Young" ended American Slang but I think I like it more.

Sorry for the incoherent mess, I just really felt like writing something. It's just one of those days.

TL;DR: Elsie is awesome. I don't love every single part about her yet but I am convinced we'll get fully intimate later on. After all, I used to skip "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" and I thought that "Casanova, Baby!" was rather annoying when I started listening to The '59 Sound.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 8:30 am

Well said. I completely agree with the over listening of songs taking them out of the context of the album. I'm definitely going to steer clear of any audio preview from the next Gaslight album. I've learned my lesson.
Back to top Go down
I Came To Dance
A Contender
A Contender
I Came To Dance

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 9:06 am

I really love it! That's all I can say. Smile I will probably listen to it insanely much since autumn's practically already here.

On a side note, I don't really get why people make such a big deal about the "I got a crush on you" line. Go listen to Springsteen's "Crush On You" and The Clash's "1-2 Crush On You" and you'll see what I mean, haha. Razz
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 9:21 am

I've just fallen in love with the bridge on Crush.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Elsie Review
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next