DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Elsie Review

Go down 
+55
Jerseyrain
AngryJohnnyN1930
Holland
chickenman
NeverTrustAJunkie
Tobbo
scarsrsouvenirs
Bea
eagles1139
cockypessimist
J.B.R.
Ghost
JimmyB
enola
bt211
I Came To Dance
simo
Angry Johnny
Vibes
myfuneralparty
Shrewsbury_Stars
Silver
The M
steady now steady now
Christophe
spgilbert
acousticbandit
JukeboxJuliet
I am Incinerator
Debonair
MKULTRA
Harbortown
bablor
Daire
Kilgore Trout
EstreetTramp
CluckyB
StopAndSlideToTheRight
carryon820
vamike
plugga
Phil Rockabill
loazis
MikeSig
RobertODonnell
moosicmaniac
Prisoner
riversedge
Jay
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
stephendgaf
efofex
steffuhnee
fullcollapse
DeathoftheCool
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:51 pm

I think Crush might be the worst song on the album, to me it just doesn't have a lot of substance. It's like the bass is all over the place, and not in a good way.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:52 pm

Debonair wrote:
Quote :
Rosamilia has to be the one playing that lead on Crush. I've had chills since the second I turned this on. Goddamn.

it says on the inside vinyl cover for additional artist he only did Behold the hurricane.

sorry to disappoint, it was either Brian or Ian(Ian was credited for slide guitar?) and i believe if i remember right it said ted hut did guitar as well.
Which song did Benny contribute on?
Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 8:01 pm

I feel like I can't give a proper review because Cherry Blossoms and Blood Loss aren't working on the stream, and my pre-order has yet to arrive, but I can't hold back from posting.

I loved Mary Ann from the first listen. Behold the Hurricane had to grow on me - LOVED the lyrics, but wasn't so sure about the sound, now it's one of my faves. I feel like the best part of Black Betty & the Moon is what was cut out of the teaser.

Anyways, maybe it's just where I am in life right now, but honestly this is a record to bleed to, for me.
Sugar, Ladykiller... and wow wow wow I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together is KILLING me. So. fucking. good.

Can't wait for my SideOne package!

Back to top Go down
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
acousticbandit

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 8:05 pm

this is longer than any gaslight album and people are complaining it's too short? get real!
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Quote :

It just say Tampani, so all? lol don't know what that drum sounds like really, its just deep so someone better at music then me would have to tell you
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 8:12 pm

Debonair wrote:
Quote :

It just say Tampani, so all? lol don't know what that drum sounds like really, its just deep so someone better at music then me would have to tell you
I don't think it's used on all tracks. From what I understand, it's a special drum that can play notes (unlike other percussion instruments). So it requires special skill to play.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 8:16 pm

CONTRIBUTING ARTISTS ON ALBUM

Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Img_2017
Back to top Go down
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 8:32 pm

JukeboxJuliet wrote:

Anyways, maybe it's just where I am in life right now, but honestly this is a record to bleed to, for me.

Fucking agreed. I love 'Black Betty & The Moon'
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Wow this album far exceeded my expectations. The atmosphere they have created throughout the whole album is incredible. Favourite song without a doubt is Crush. I've decided to go through and rate each song so here goes.

Last Rites - 7/10 - more of an introduction than a full song as it's only a minute and a half but it does set the moody scene for the tracks to come.
Sugar - 10/10 - one of my top 3 tracks the layering of instruments and the different directions the song takes make this a very interesting listen with so much going on. The second verse is also one of Elsie's most emotional moments for me.
Behold The Hurricane - 10/10 - One of the loudest and most dynamic tracks on Elsie the faster pace being reminiscent of Gaslight the song is bursting with the intensity of emotion behind it.
I Witnessed A Crime - 7/10 - Probably my least favourite track on the album as I kind of expected it to build up to something more at the end song. Still a catchy beat and good lyrics though.
Go Tell Everybody - 10/10 - Another contender for favourite song, similar to Behold The Hurricane has an epic feel to it and I really feel this is the song where the organ works best and really elevates the song from simply being very good to great.
Cherry Blossoms - 8/10 - Probably the calmest song on the album, Brian's voice and the guitars in this song just drift along effortlessly and there is a haunting quality to this song as well.
Ladykiller - 10/10 - Another outstanding song. From the previews this was my most anticipated track and it doesn't disappoint. This is an exceptional song which in the middle of the album where I think Elsie is strongest.
Crush - 10/10 - For me this song is INCREDIBLE and is hands down my favourite on the record. I just think Brian perfectly encapsulates the feeling of being crazy about someone and the feelings associated with that kind of infatuation. I think this is a song that everyone will be able to relate to and for me this is as heart on the sleeve as it gets. A masterpiece.
Mary Ann - 9/10 - I think this is the song that is the oddball of Elsie with Brian's wild vocals. There is a rawness to it that I really like and also the guitar from Ian ain't half bad in this one either.
Black Betty & The Moon - 9/10 - A solid track but not in my top 3. One of Elsie's most simple yet effective songs.
Blood Loss - 10/10 - Another passionate, rousing track that has the feel of an album closer about it as it builds to a big conclusion. You can almost smell the heartahe pouring out of this song.
I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together - 8/10 - Not one of my favourites as similarly to I Witnessed A Crime I thought it would build to something bigger. It does however finish the album on an upbeat note.

Top 3 - Crush, Sugar, Go Tell Everybody

Conclusion - A stunning debut album, Brian just seems to get better and better. This is without doubt the best album I will buy this year and the fact that Ian is also writing with Brian for the next Gaslight album should add a new dynamic to my favourite band. I just hope Brian hasn't peaked too early because if he can make an album even better than this with Horrible Crowes or an album better than The '59 Sound with Gaslight it really will be beyond incredible.
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 9:29 pm

WingsForWheels wrote:
Go Fucking Tell Everybody
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 2:18 am

Do i hear horns on go tell everybody? which is currently my favorite. ive been really surprised by some of the different musical portions they've put in, those parts definitely separate the album from gaslight. of course i only have access to the RS stream and it wont play cherry blossoms or blood loss, my two most anticipated tracks. the lovely lady ships tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
EstreetTramp
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 3:07 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Do i hear horns on go tell everybody? which is currently my favorite. ive been really surprised by some of the different musical portions they've put in, those parts definitely separate the album from gaslight. of course i only have access to the RS stream and it wont play cherry blossoms or blood loss, my two most anticipated tracks. the lovely lady ships tomorrow!

Yep, horns and strings! I posted before, but in case no one ever heard ,that end reminds me a bit of the ending on Bowie's version of 'It's Hard to be a Saint...'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23YRVtuecA
Back to top Go down
efofex
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
efofex

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:32 am

Okay, in addendum to my original review of "sexy as hell." While that still holds true, I don't find myself playing it again currently. Like immediately after I played through the album once, I just went back to the new Astronautalis album and Sims EP (which are bitchin', JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW). It's not that it's not good, that's the furthest from the truth, but it's not a summer album to me. If this was released in like, November, I would totally be playing this repeatedly. The somber tone of this album does not work in conjunction to the 100 degree weather I have to deal with.

Does anyone else see what I'm getting at?
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:37 am

efofex wrote:
Okay, in addendum to my original review of "sexy as hell." While that still holds true, I don't find myself playing it again currently. Like immediately after I played through the album once, I just went back to the new Astronautalis album (which is bitchin', JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW). It's not that it's not good, that's the furthest from the truth, but it's not a summer album to me. If this was released in like, November, I would totally be playing this repeatedly. The somber tone of this album does not work in conjunction to the 100 degree weather I have to deal with.

Oh, absolutely. While I still have it on repeat I agree that it's definitely not a summer album. Unfortunately these couple days are in the 90s in Chicago, too. I think I will really start to feel this album as it starts to get colder. I'm really, really glad I have it now. This past winter was terrible for me and Elsie could have done wonders, but I'm definitely grateful for it now.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 6:37 am

Just returned from the record store and brought this baby home with me.

Your Elsie Review - Page 3 X6lez6

Ignore the insanely stylish tablecloth and gasp at the wonderful beauty of the CD package. I decided I am going to buy the vinyl as well because it is, well... because it is the same but then bigger Very Happy

Currently giving the whole thing a spin again, I love it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 6:40 am

fullcollapse wrote:
efofex wrote:
Okay, in addendum to my original review of "sexy as hell." While that still holds true, I don't find myself playing it again currently. Like immediately after I played through the album once, I just went back to the new Astronautalis album (which is bitchin', JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW). It's not that it's not good, that's the furthest from the truth, but it's not a summer album to me. If this was released in like, November, I would totally be playing this repeatedly. The somber tone of this album does not work in conjunction to the 100 degree weather I have to deal with.

Oh, absolutely. While I still have it on repeat I agree that it's definitely not a summer album. Unfortunately these couple days are in the 90s in Chicago, too. I think I will really start to feel this album as it starts to get colder. I'm really, really glad I have it now. This past winter was terrible for me and Elsie could have done wonders, but I'm definitely grateful for it now.

I have to agree with this as well. I'm guessing that I will be listening to this constantly as I'm suffering through the upcoming long, and freezing Wisconsin winter.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 10:38 am

the one word that comes to mind is 'sophisticated'; this album has real class, both musically and lyrically

my other random thoughts on 'Elsie':

if 'Sugar' got covered by one of today's female R&B mega stars, it would be the hit of the year

I love the instrumentation and the vocals; surely Brian's best vocal performance to date

the background vocals will need a litle getting used to on 'Go Tell'

I now wish I hadn't listened to 'Hurricane' and 'Mary Ann', so much already, as I feel like skipping to get to the less familiar stuff

this could have been a Gaslight Anthem album, though it would have meant their sound had evolved; other bands put out the occassional mellow album in between others; Benny's drumming and Alex's riffs would have handled this just fine

mellow, yet diverse, as it is, this album should really be a mega seller with the general public (we'll see)

favs songs for now: 'Sugar', 'Mary Ann', 'Blood Loss'

fav single line: "My first love was an arsonist"
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 10:48 am

This album is making me feel like a 15 year old boy. I keep hearing random lines and melodies that are so beautiful that I realize that I am either holding my breath or have tears in my eyes. This is a fucking great album.
Back to top Go down
MikeSig
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MikeSig

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 10:49 am

steady now steady now wrote:

fav single line: "My first love was an arsonist"

I can't believe Brian found a decent rhyme (albeit arguably a half-rhyme) for "arsonist" in "avarice." And that it doesn't sound forced.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/MikeSig
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson
vamike

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 10:50 am

haha, just when I read "My first love was an arsonist" those words came out of the speakers
Back to top Go down
The M
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 2:06 pm

Ya, definitely feels like a winter album to me. However, I also listened to it while stumbling home at 3:30 a.m. last night and it works on that front. Stumbling home at 3:30 a.m. in the middle of winter I'll probably just crumple into a ball and freeze to death while listening to it...
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 2:23 pm

the summer/winter album thing aside, it's not one to just blast through the house while getting on with this that and the other

it's one for sitting down and listening, like I used to do with all albums before life got busy
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 2:51 pm

It works too after a stressed day...or even when going to sleep. Did it yesterday and it's really relaxing, get your ipod on, close your eyes and enjoy the next 45 minutes. By the time you'll get to the last track (I believe Jesus brought us togheter), i swear you'll be in some sort of trance! haha
Back to top Go down
Silver
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Silver

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 3:45 pm

The most outstanding track (for me) is LADYKILLER. I absolutely love this beginning part of the song with the voices/laughing. It's so dark, sad and creates such a melancholy mood. An then this wonderful melodic guitar sound. In this moment the record shows its pure beauty.
BLACK BETYY is my 2nd fav. one. Love this dark imagery Brian uses here with poison, venom, spiders and scorpions and how he uses this poisoning effect as a metaphor. Plus his whispering in the bridge part gives me shivers.
3rd is BEHOLD THE HURRICANE. It's the catchy tune on the record. And this "I'm not the man you love" line gets under the skin and rips up old scars.
And listening to the record during the night works so well. It's pure gold in the shadow.

9/10
(Don't know why but I can't get into "I believe jesus brought us together"...)

Now I can't wait to get my sweet little blood red vinyl. bounce
Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Just listening to Cherry Blossoms and Blood Loss now.. add both those to my top songs too.
My summer has been a bit of a winter, so this is perfection for me. I love love love that Brian did something like this, and am looking forward to more, just as much as I'm looking forward to more Gaslight.

Now if only I get a chance to see THC live...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Elsie Review
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next