DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Elsie Review

Go down 
+55
Jerseyrain
AngryJohnnyN1930
Holland
chickenman
NeverTrustAJunkie
Tobbo
scarsrsouvenirs
Bea
eagles1139
cockypessimist
J.B.R.
Ghost
JimmyB
enola
bt211
I Came To Dance
simo
Angry Johnny
Vibes
myfuneralparty
Shrewsbury_Stars
Silver
The M
steady now steady now
Christophe
spgilbert
acousticbandit
JukeboxJuliet
I am Incinerator
Debonair
MKULTRA
Harbortown
bablor
Daire
Kilgore Trout
EstreetTramp
CluckyB
StopAndSlideToTheRight
carryon820
vamike
plugga
Phil Rockabill
loazis
MikeSig
RobertODonnell
moosicmaniac
Prisoner
riversedge
Jay
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
stephendgaf
efofex
steffuhnee
fullcollapse
DeathoftheCool
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender
J.B.R.

Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 3:07 pm

hiss/crackles are most likely due to dust.
Back to top Go down
cockypessimist
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
cockypessimist

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Blood Loss is just amazement. there is just nothing that can match that feeling when it feels like someone wrote something that says just what you can't.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm

cockypessimist wrote:
Blood Loss is just amazement. there is just nothing that can match that feeling when it feels like someone wrote something that says just what you can't.

The chorus of Blood Loss (especially when yelled later in the song) is one of the best things Brian has ever written. Everyone knows that feeling of bitterness after a breakup where you just want to see the other person feel as much pain as you do, and it is captured perfectly in the line: "I'll tell you when you've cried long enough, till your blood fills my cup, my footsteps ain't hung in your hallways enough for you to be truly haunted."

Back to top Go down
cockypessimist
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
cockypessimist

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 8:39 pm

well said eagles, it perfectly sums up that feeling of things not ending the way you want
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Desert Island Disks anyone?
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 9:18 pm

i remember brian writing in his blog about Tom Wait's Downtown Train:
"every opening line I've ever written has been trying to come up with something as good as... "Outside another yellow moon has punched a hole in the night time, yes.""

well, i think he might have achieved this with Elsie. i mean how good is "I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of a tie"??
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 9:21 pm

Bea wrote:
"every opening line I've ever written has been trying to come up with something as good as... "Outside another yellow moon has punched a hole in the night time, yes.""

well, i think he might have achieved this with Elsie. i mean how good is "I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of a tie"??

there's a few...

'my first love was an arsonist'

'start up the car, bury your memories'

Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 9:51 pm

Bea wrote:

that's exactly what i was thinking when i heard that line! what a badass way to start out a song. such a vicious tune. but i was so shocked during the last 90 seconds where Brian pulls a demon's rendition of Diamond Church Street Choir, with all the horns and strings and whatnot. Easily one of the best moments in any TGA or THC song
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 5:04 am

so after several more listens i love this album way more than i really expected to. brian (and the guys) seem like they will never disappoint me.

also am i the only one that feels like someone could find god listening to this thing?
Back to top Go down
scarsrsouvenirs
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Sugar is such an amazing song. For some reason, when I listen to it, I feel like Brian was making up his vocal melodies as he recording it. It sounds so natural.
Back to top Go down
Tobbo
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 2:55 pm

I really love Behold The Hurricane, Go Tell Everybody and Black Betty and The Moon. I guess there's no need to mention that the rest of the album is awesome as well, and my favorites probably gonna change over time.
Back to top Go down
I am Incinerator
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 6:42 pm

I picked up the cd last night and have only had 10-15 minutes here and there to listen. I really need to sit down with it before I give a good review.

I was bummed that the shop that I went to didn't even have Elsie on vinyl. They asked me if I wanted to order it, and I passed, since I really only wanted the red vinyl, and I'm sure if I couldn't get it yesterday, chances are they are all bought up. Then on my way home, I realized that there is another shop right across the way that may have had it. I didn't want to make my way back to downtown and through the streets. CD is ok for me
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 7:38 pm

Current favorite: Cherry Blossom. Was listening to this on a rainy walk today and it was just perfect.
Back to top Go down
The M
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 7:39 pm

One thing I love is the way Fallon's vocals have evolved over the course of his career. If you listen to '59 Sound,' it's still a great great great album, but he sounds soooooo young on it. 'American Slang' did some different things, but 'Elsie' blows both albums out of the water in terms of vocal subtlety and nuance. He can still do the raging scream thing, but tracks like "I Witnessed a Crime" and "Blood Loss" showcase the variety that he can bring to the table. The album is simply filled with fantastic vocal performances/melodies. There's a staying power to it, I think. It might not be a better album than '59 Sound' (though it's hard to evaluate such things without having the benefit of time), but I think it's a more mature album than anything he's done with TGA. It just SOUNDS like a mature album, and the obvious progression for an artist like Fallon. Cannot wait to see how he melds everything together for the next TGA album.
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender
chickenman

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 6:34 am

So far so (VERY) good. I'm not very familiar with all the songs and the titles yet, and haven't got around to listen to it properly enough times just yet. But my impression is that this is "the album that had to be done". Somehow you think you learn to know Brian as an artist trough his onstage-performance, interviews, his music, what he writes on his blog and on his twitter-account, and you always knew that he would eventually have to create an album like this. And while it would obviosluy not suit the Gaslight Anthem, I think the Horrible Crowes as a side-project is just perfect.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 12:10 pm

So i spent some of my recent days in Mallorca walking around the cathedral and along the beach listening to this album and i have to say it is the best way i have ever listened to a new album. To me it is a showcase of Brian's excellence as a song writer , i put this alongside the 59 sound as his best work, the lyrics and melodic subtleties are really what make it. I think this is by far the best 'side project' i have ever heard. The vocal depth and variation that he shows on this album is amazing when you compare it to raw punkier vocals on Sink or Swim. It is probably lyrically the most relatable album that i own. Hopefully this shows that the music that Brian is involved in will never stagnate as he just keeps improving, its an immense album.
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
AngryJohnnyN1930

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm a little shocked I'm not seeing more love for Mary Ann. That tune is so freaking dynamite!!
(Along with the rest of course Smile I'm just shouting out M.A.)
Sugar? Yup.
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 5:09 pm

AngryJohnnyN1930 wrote:
I'm a little shocked I'm not seeing more love for Mary Ann. That tune is so freaking dynamite!!
Sugar? Yup.

Mary Ann wasn't on the leak I was listening to the first few days, so I didn't even know it existed for a while. Yes it's amazing. Could Brian's vocal sound more nasty? I think someone said it, but it's hard to even imagine '59 Sound Brian busting out a song like that. Elsie is closing in on "best thing he's ever done" status for me.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 5:26 pm

Ive written a bit about Elsie in my latest blog. My blog is for the most part music related with the aim of educating people on music that they may not know and also discucssing my own efforts as a songwriter. I often discuss Gaslight and or Brian in there so feel free to read, follow, comment as you please at the link below. What I realise reading the above comments is that the album leaked and in my blog I mention that I didnt think it had because I heard from Brian that it hadn't and presumed he would know. But never mind hey. Sorry for waffling.

Wild Hearts Blue Jeans and White T Shirts - My Blog
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 5:29 pm

I think this album is just poetry. Its for dark places and quiet rooms. Lyrical genius but I come to expect this from Brian. He shows great range and the music behind the voice is just right. A great side project imo. Give me Gasight any day but I love Elsie... There will be more from The Horrible Crowes...
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 5:35 pm

jerseyrain wrote:
Ive written a bit about Elsie in my latest blog. My blog is for the most part music related with the aim of educating people on music that they may not know and also discucssing my own efforts as a songwriter. I often discuss Gaslight and or Brian in there so feel free to read, follow, comment as you please at the link below. What I realise reading the above comments is that the album leaked and in my blog I mention that I didnt think it had because I heard from Brian that it hadn't and presumed he would know. But never mind hey. Sorry for waffling.

It leaked like a day before it was officially streaming online I think. That's probably late enough in the game that it didn't matter much if any.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 5:58 pm

sandyangryjohnnyormary? wrote:
jerseyrain wrote:

It leaked like a day before it was officially streaming online I think. That's probably late enough in the game that it didn't matter much if any.

Ah right, I got the impression some people on here seemed to be listening it a month ago. I hope ur right coz i guess it doesn't matter when it gets so late in the day.
Back to top Go down
Pel.71
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Pel.71

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 6:02 pm

my copy only arrived today ... go tell everybody is my fav - one of the best songs ever !!! ... ..2nd ladykiller ..3rd behold the hurricane ... fab album ... thanks brian , thanks ian . cant wait for the rvival tour in newcastle...

but tonight all my sympathy is gone..
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 6:49 pm

I can't listen to sugar without letting last rites flow first
Back to top Go down
QueenOfTheBronx
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
QueenOfTheBronx

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 7:22 pm

AngryJohnnyN1930 wrote:
Sugar? Yup.

so i'm guessing you LOVE it? yup, I told you. amazing Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Elsie Review
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next