DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Elsie Review

Go down 
+55
Jerseyrain
AngryJohnnyN1930
Holland
chickenman
NeverTrustAJunkie
Tobbo
scarsrsouvenirs
Bea
eagles1139
cockypessimist
J.B.R.
Ghost
JimmyB
enola
bt211
I Came To Dance
simo
Angry Johnny
Vibes
myfuneralparty
Shrewsbury_Stars
Silver
The M
steady now steady now
Christophe
spgilbert
acousticbandit
JukeboxJuliet
I am Incinerator
Debonair
MKULTRA
Harbortown
bablor
Daire
Kilgore Trout
EstreetTramp
CluckyB
StopAndSlideToTheRight
carryon820
vamike
plugga
Phil Rockabill
loazis
MikeSig
RobertODonnell
moosicmaniac
Prisoner
riversedge
Jay
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
stephendgaf
efofex
steffuhnee
fullcollapse
DeathoftheCool
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Go Tell Everybody is soo good.
Back to top Go down
carryon820
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 3:12 pm

I listened to it once but not under the best of circumstances (on my computer with shitty speakers and while completely sleep deprived), however I just couldn't resist once available. I'll be happy when my preorder arrives so I can listen to it under the right circumstances/environment. With that said, with my first listen in, it's pretty damn good! I like it better than I thought I would. I have to agree with the above poster in that "Go Tell Everybody" is amazing! Once I get to listen to the vinyl, I'll give a more detailed review, rating the tracks individually. If I had any complaint at this point.....and I could be inaccurate in my perception (as I don't have the lyrics yet) it would be that every single song seems to have the same theme lyrically. I LOVE how it's dark, moody, somber, etc. but I wish the lyrics had more of a variety of personal struggles/demons, heart-break, and life themes. Anyone else feel this way? When I actually have the lyrics and can take time to digest and interpret them, I may feel different. Regardless, overall it's great (and that's with one listen)!

Last edited by carryon820 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 3:16 pm

If an ET wanted to know what music was... i'd give them this record to listen to.

Just saying.
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 3:39 pm

carryon820 wrote:
I listened to it once but not under the best of circumstances (on my computer with shitty speakers and while completely sleep deprived), however I just couldn't resist once available. I'll be happy when my preorder arrives so I can listen to it under the right circumstances/environment. With that said, with my first listen in, it's pretty damn good! I like it better than I thought I would. I have to agree with the above poster in that "Go Tell Everybody" is amazing! Once I get to listen to the vinyl, I'll give a more detailed review, rating the tracks individually. If I had any complaint at this point.....and I could be inaccurate in my perception (as I don't have the lyrics yet) it would be that every single song seems to have the same theme lyrically. I LOVE how it's dark, moody, somber, etc. but I wish the lyrics had more of a variety of personal struggles/demons, heart-break, and life themes. Anyone else feel this way? When I actually have the lyrics and can take time to digest and interpret them, I may feel different. Regardless, overall it's great (and that's with one listen)!

Well I think the album is first and foremost about his biggest heartbreak so that's why you're getting repeated themes like that.

But I think if you look a little closer at the lyrics there are some subtle hints at drug abuse. In "I believe Jesus Brought Us Together" there's a line that goes something like "I heard the engines of desire/ in the come-down daylight," right after he references being buried in a churchyard. It's just my simple guess, but "come-down daylight" could certainly be a reference to the come-down period the next day after taking ecstasy or similar drugs. I'm most likely wrong though.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 4:58 pm

A - FRIGGING - MAZING!
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Listening it to it now (on Go Tell Everybody. Channeling his inner Tom Waits at parts there for sure <3 ). So far its actually a lot more upbeat than I was expecting. But reviewing the whole thing after listening to half the album once is rediculous. That being said, so far am certainly not disappointed.
Back to top Go down
EstreetTramp
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 5:28 pm

'Go Tell Everybody' is the song of the year so far, in my opinion. The crescendo at the end reminded me of (funny enough) Bowie's version of Springsteen's It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City. AMAZING song!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Ladykiller is also a very very good song.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 5:44 pm

pretty much agree with you all, go tell everybody was my favorite preview and is now my favorite off the album..for now.
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 6:15 pm

So sue me, I'm not exactly blown away. I'm enjoying myself for sure, but I just don't think it's his best work. Varied instrumentation and a generally different feel do give Brian a new dimension, but I'm only really impressed by three or four songs at this point. I do notice that the album picks up as it moves further along, which is sort of unusual.

Also, it's incredibly bitter, which is sort of a new tone for Brian. I'm interested by this, but I'm not *positive* about how it's going to hold up. I can see myself listening to this on occasion and really loving the songs that have my attention so far, but it'll never be on heavy rotation. I may not even keep my copy, and just hang onto the mp3s.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 6:19 pm

Listened to the first three songs so far. Pretty boring so far.
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 6:30 pm

Thank you! Maybe it's just the punker within me, but I can really only get into Behold the Hurricane, Crush, Black Betty and the Moon, and perhaps one or two more. And the chorus "I got a crush on you" is frankly beneath Brian's songwriting ability.

Edit: I must say that the songs I like on here are some serious effing tours-de-forces. I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together is probably the best new song I've heard in the last 6 months, and the sound effect at the end (which I won't get into; save the surprise for those waiting it out) almost brought me to tears.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bablor
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Gettin some freakin big goosebumps.. Really really nice!
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:00 pm

Some songs are fantastic. Behold the Hurricane is one of Brian's best ever, Black Betty and the moon is creeky with lots of swag, Sugar is like Queen of lower Chelsea the morning after.

However, as far as most of the other songs are concerned, I'm not entirely convinced that this album is as fantastic in its entirety as some reviewers would make you think. Then again, I always thought Gaslight Anthem was a boring band until I gave it a few chances and now I'm hooked. Maybe it's just a matter of listening to the right song at the right time.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Go Fucking Tell Everybody
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:10 pm

My brother and I agree that depending on the speakers you use you'll hear the album differently, I've played this on my car, tablet (with /with out headphones), and downstairs computer, each one you heard different things. There is so much going on instrumentally in these song it really takes all kinds of listens to get a good feel

One doest cut it but it will definately blow your mind imho
Back to top Go down
I am Incinerator
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:20 pm

I just want to get the Darn record...c'mon Tuesday...
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:21 pm

The album is intense, that's for sure. I just listened the whole thing through (aside from the two tracks that skip) in the darkness with my headphones on taking sips of some heavy beer and I think I'm going to continue doing that for a while.

Ladykiller struck me the hardest so far. I love you guys.
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Anyone else loving Sugar? Brian always has at least one song that really captures his pre-album descriptions, like the title track on AS, and Sugar is exactly what I had in mind with the somber soul feel.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Still in awe. Incredible.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:32 pm

sandyangryjohnnyormary? wrote:
Anyone else loving Sugar? Brian always has at least one song that really captures his pre-album descriptions, like the title track on AS, and Sugar is exactly what I had in mind with the somber soul feel.
I'm loving it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Rosamilia has to be the one playing that lead on Crush. I've had chills since the second I turned this on. Goddamn.

Edit: Also, imagine how intense and crushing it's gonna be to hear these songs played live... I'm insanely jealous of anyone who's going to see them!
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Quote :
Rosamilia has to be the one playing that lead on Crush. I've had chills since the second I turned this on. Goddamn.

it says on the inside vinyl cover for additional artist he only did Behold the hurricane.

sorry to disappoint, it was either Brian or Ian(Ian was credited for slide guitar?) and i believe if i remember right it said ted hut did guitar as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Debonair wrote:
Quote :

it says on the inside vinyl cover for additional artist he only did Behold the hurricane.

sorry to disappoint, it was either Brian or Ian(Ian was credited for slide guitar?) and i believe if i remember right it said ted hut did guitar as well.

Wow, that surprises me, but either way it sounds amazing!
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:47 pm

Quote :
Wow, that surprises me, but either way it sounds amazing!

with out a doubt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Elsie Review   Your Elsie Review - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Elsie Review
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next