DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]

Go down 
+59
Boy From Little Eden
zerb012345
TGAFAN25
mwh
StitchesOnTheRadio
Commander Vimes
Blues With the Dogs
HolyBreakOfDay
jonester
EyesOnThatCadillac
redheadchick
Labhras
HorribleCrowe
bringiton_ty
Hanswurst
SubconsciousRitual
Virginiatiger
Holland
elliott4296
sportshack
The Angry Johnny Revue
spgilbert
enola
patfreesia
TheTrevor
RaquelWaltz
Midnight Rambler
Yozzy
OldManShoes3
eagles1139
Christophe
Jack
loazis
EmptySoul89
Camus
Casey
AGoodTime
poormrpitiful
Don Carlo
Red_Heels
Philo
drifter69
TGAforLIFE
simo
Harbortown
TheMagnificentDreamer
Jay
eremitapa
ThisMachineKillsFascists
Steve70s
scarsrsouvenirs
JimmyB
theBasemen
steph
DeathoftheCool
Debonair
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Poet Jonah
steady now steady now
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

Location : Chattanooga, the cousin nobody invites to the family reunion

Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:02 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
That poem was super interesting. I loved the part about the bird, that was really creative. the splitting of the lines like you did was a cool touch too. Makes it seem more fragmented, like a bunch of snapshots. Sounds like things weren't working out Sad

aren't working out
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:04 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
That poem was super interesting. I loved the part about the bird, that was really creative. the splitting of the lines like you did was a cool touch too. Makes it seem more fragmented, like a bunch of snapshots. Sounds like things weren't working out Sad

aren't working out

Crying or Very sad I'm really sorry to hear that, Cody. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:06 pm

"My heart is set for you,
Leaving Penn Station
On the 6:13 to Babylon."
I love that sig man. What's it from?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:07 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

aren't working out

This just made me so sad. Sad
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:14 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Leaving Penn Station

it's something i wrote referencing the same relationship.
the 6:13 to Babylon was a train that left penn station in 1950 and collided with another train that was stopped and killed 79 people.
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:15 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:
The Poet Jonah wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

aren't working out

This just made me so sad. Sad

I apologize Sarah, it's just a bird...
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:19 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
Leaving Penn Station

the 6:13 to Babylon was a train that left penn station in 1950 and collided with another train that was stopped and killed 79 people.

this thread is getting so dark! i love that historical stuff though, it's a really great metaphor, probably one of my favorite things you've written. it also sounds like going to a fantasy land or something, without the historical context. either way it's a very powerful cpl of lines
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:21 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
The Poet Jonah wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
Leaving Penn Station

this thread is getting so dark! i love that historical stuff though, it's a really great metaphor, probably one of my favorite things you've written. it also sounds like going to a fantasy land or something, without the historical context. either way it's a very powerful cpl of lines

I'll post something happy to brighten the mood!
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:26 pm

[something happy]
Down by the creek
I sit at the base of a tree,
The bluebirds sing me to sleep
And I dream of you.

Let’s move away to a tree
In the meadows
Far away from this place
We can’t call our home.

It’ll rain only when
We want it to,
Just me and you
Forever.

The sun found me on my side,
I laid motionless for hours
And thought of your eyes,
Those beautiful eyes.

The bluebirds sang all morning long,
The bluebirds sang all morning long.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:46 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

aren't working out
Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Honestly, though, Cody, your poetry is beautiful. I wish my stuff was as good.
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:07 am

redskynight wrote:
Honestly, though, Cody, your poetry is beautiful. I wish my stuff was as good.

thank you so much, it's one of the only positives in my life besides God.
the best part about both of those is that they mean the world to me,
so the fact that my poetry is actually good makes waking up worth while.
God's the reason I'm able to get out of bed,
poetry's the reason I stay awake.
not to be preachy flower <----for some reason it reminds me of a preacher, also this Twisted Evil just kidding.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 7:14 am

Quote :
God's the reason I'm able to get out of bed,
poetry's the reason I stay awake

Well said, Cody.
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 2:58 pm

alright well?! no more poems from you guys??? c'mon!
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:03 pm

how bout this, it's spring I wanna see some spring poems!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Oh man, spring poems? That's going to be tough, but I never back down from a challenge. I'll have to start working on something! flower
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Last edited by The Poet Jonah on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 6:15 pm

This is something that I wrote for my poetry class last semester.

Logic
Didn’t you think that I would figure it out? Sure, you said life was a game of numbers; everything went to statistics and probability and chance. That is not everything. What you know – what you believe and choose to know – it’s not it. And that is the thing: you are so set in your beliefs that when an ounce of doubt sets in, you reason with it. You refuse to just let things be. You have to make the doubt be a probable, a statistic, a chance; “it’s all logic,” you always said. But it’s not. The world doesn’t work that way. I’m telling you this now so that reality doesn’t hit you when you least expect it. Because I know your world will shatter when that truck called reality tells you that everything you know is a lie. You need to understand that things happen, and sometimes, you can’t do anything about it.

You don’t have all the answers.

What you don’t have, you don’t need anymore.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:46 pm

The Poet Jonah wrote:

A period?! That's all you're giving us, Cody, a measly little punctuation mark? Oh well, I'll just enjoy your signature then. geek
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:55 pm

redskynight wrote:

Logic
Didn’t you think that I would figure it out? Sure, you said life was a game of numbers; everything went to statistics and probability and chance. That is not everything. What you know – what you believe and choose to know – it’s not it. And that is the thing: you are so set in your beliefs that when an ounce of doubt sets in, you reason with it. You refuse to just let things be. You have to make the doubt be a probable, a statistic, a chance; “it’s all logic,” you always said. But it’s not. The world doesn’t work that way. I’m telling you this now so that reality doesn’t hit you when you least expect it. Because I know your world will shatter when that truck called reality tells you that everything you know is a lie. You need to understand that things happen, and sometimes, you can’t do anything about it.

This is really good, Mac! Was the last line inspired by Stay Lucky?

The emotion really came through in this poem, even though you were talking about logic, numbers, statistics, etc. My favorite part was the line "You don't have all the answers." That's something I struggle with, because I feel like I'm the one who is supposed to help everybody and know everything, so it's a tough reality for me to face, that I don't always know what to do or have the right answer at the right moment. I think I will be reading this poem a lot in the coming months as I work through some stuff.

Thank you for sharing this! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 2:57 am

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
redskynight wrote:

Logic

The emotion really came through in this poem, even though you were talking about logic, numbers, statistics, etc. My favorite part was the line "You don't have all the answers." That's something I struggle with, because I feel like I'm the one who is supposed to help everybody and know everything, so it's a tough reality for me to face, that I don't always know what to do or have the right answer at the right moment. I think I will be reading this poem a lot in the coming months as I work through some stuff.

Yep! One of the things I've been experimenting with is called found poetry and I'm kind of like Brian where I just incorporate things that my heroes wrote into my own things.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Very Happy I'm always so nervous about sharing my writing, thinking that it's not good enough.
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:13 pm

redskynight wrote:
IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
redskynight wrote:

Logic

Yep! One of the things I've been experimenting with is called found poetry and I'm kind of like Brian where I just incorporate things that my heroes wrote into my own things.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Very Happy I'm always so nervous about sharing my writing, thinking that it's not good enough.

This poem was so angry! I loved it!
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:41 pm

[A Letter to Prison]
My little brother
Sits on the cot
And stares at
The window,
He spends his
Days wishing
The bars were
Stained-glass

While I spend
Them outside
Pleading for
A writ of
Habeas corpus.

He doesn’t let me
See the tears
On his cheek,
He just sits there
Talking about the
Color of the walls.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Cody, why do you always make me cry? Sad You have a way with words that make the emotions come through so powerfully. What an amazing gift. I really appreciate the raw honesty of this one. There were a couple of parts of this poem that really stood out to me.

He spends his
Days wishing
The bars were
Stained-glass

I like this imagery. Stained-glass makes me think of church, which makes me think of salvation from all the bad that permeates the earth.

Pleading for
A writ of
Habeas Corpus

Very well said. Thank you for sharing this poem.
Back to top Go down
The Poet Jonah
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Poet Jonah

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:41 pm

The secret in the poem is false imprisonment, (habeas corpus).

Thanks Shannon, I've got 4 more poems and then this book is finished
pirat
I wanted to use a pirate...so I did
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]   Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics] - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Creative Writing [was: Poetry & Lyrics]
Page 7 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20 ... 33  Next