DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gaslight mural

Go down 
+19
matt even
WoodyJoe
Never1959
lynchyeatspizza
Johnny99
Stalls_Standing
stupendoussven
andy.mac
tdawg
e7c
ktp
JoshRaymond
TGAFAN25
Stevearm
steph
Jukebox Romeo
steady now steady now
simo
kieran
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 10:17 am

Hey guys just seen this posted on vinyl collective and figured you would dig this he didnt mention the Ferris wheel though which is an obvious refrence as well:

Quote :
A new Floyd's Barbershop opened up in my neighborhood (around the Los Angeles/Venice Beach area) earlier this year. The owners of this particular Floyd's had someone paint a mural on the side of the building. I only recently noticed the images in the mural.

Here is a shot of the entire mural

Gaslight mural 20081121-IMG_1696

Here's a closer shot of the right half of the mural

Gaslight mural 20081121-IMG_1687

- The top right hand image are the guys in The Gaslight Anthem
- The kick drum head says "Live Fast, Die Awesome"
- The lower right hand image is from The '59 Sound single
- Sink or Swim reference and well as lyric reference from "We Came to Dance"

And the left side

Gaslight mural 20081121-IMG_1691

In case you can't see, at the top, it says "These nights are still ours..."

I couldn't find any info on who did the mural. The barbershop was closed when the pictures where taken so I couldn't ask inside. I think it's kind of cool and TOTALLY random that Gaslight are immortalized in a mural in Venice Beach, CA.

http://vinylcollective.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=etc&action=display&thread=42341
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 2:56 pm

HOLY $#!$

That's amazing.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 4:17 pm

that really is absolutely fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 4:32 pm

best thing ever
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 4:47 pm

wow. i wonder if the guys know! haha. how weird would that be to be walking down the street and see a mural featuring your band and your face on the side of a barbershop. that's really cool though, it looks great, i like all the images they incorporated.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 5:19 pm

I love the detail and the styling. Really digging the whole 1950s and pin uppy kinda thing they have going on. Then incorporating all the gaslight references into one giant awesome piece of artwork is truly stunning. I really hope the guys know about it.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 5:43 pm

i don't get some of the imagery though. like what's with the Switzerland flags? and the spaceship over the car and the word "NEVER"?
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Swiss flag has something written in it which would explain it but due to the photo it cant be read. Space ship could be to do with the space age in the late 50s at least thats what im assuming given the theme of the other images.
Back to top Go down
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 6:00 pm

My god that's incredible
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 7:08 pm

i cant wait to go visit my buddy in LA and take a picture of this. WOW.

Def getting my haircut at Floyd's now too
Back to top Go down
iamafree

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 4:19 am

The "Swiss flags" are actually red cross medical symbols. They are the logos used for the night club located across the street from Floyd's. The club is called the Good Hurt (those are the words inside the cross). The bowling pin with "Mar Vista" represents Mar Vista Lanes which is the bowling alley also located across the street from the barbershop.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 5:57 am

kieran wrote:
I really hope the guys know about it.

I told their management and their label, who both said they hadn't heard of it yet. Someone from SideOneDummy is going to look at it today.

Others on this board have more direct means of getting a messages to the guys ...
Back to top Go down
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 7:32 am

I send a message to the band over myspace so yeah lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 7:37 am

wow this is amazing
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 12:29 pm

wow! nice one! love it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 2:19 pm

iamafree wrote:
The "Swiss flags" are actually red cross medical symbols. They are the logos used for the night club located across the street from Floyd's. The club is called the Good Hurt (those are the words inside the cross). The bowling pin with "Mar Vista" represents Mar Vista Lanes which is the bowling alley also located across the street from the barbershop.
no, the Red Cross symbol is a red cross on a white background, basically the image here, just inverted. like this: http://www.eldoradonews.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/red_cross.jpg

anyway, the rest of what you say is probably true, so that must be why it's included in the mural
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 5:29 pm

iamafree wrote:
[...] the night club located across the street from Floyd's. The club is called the Good Hurt (those are the words inside the cross). The bowling pin with "Mar Vista" represents Mar Vista Lanes which is the bowling alley also located across the street from the barbershop.

You can check those places out with Google Street view.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 6:50 pm

I contacted Hollie, yesterday and she wrote back, I assume she has passed the word on to the guys.
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 7:00 pm

Outstanding!
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 9:02 pm

love it, especially the dog and the kid playing baseball, clearly unrelated to gaslight but cool nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
stupendoussven
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
stupendoussven

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 8:08 pm

This is awesome. I love the 1950's detailing, with the pic of the band in the upper right corner, the lyrics. My favorite is the silhouette of the carnival in the sunset. This whole thing is simply marvelous. I want to go out to CA just to see it in person.

edit: The Side One Dummy website has two different shots of the mural: http://sideonedummy.com/check-our-this-mural-of-the-gaslight-anthem
Back to top Go down
http://sirsvenjensen.tumblr.com
Never195

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Mar Vista Mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Thank you so much to everyone who has said nice things about the mural! I'm the artist who did it (and murals at all of the Floyd's Barbershops that have space for one). I really wanted this mural to be both personal & an homage to the band... my favorite band. All of the images are either local things, my family (and dog), or things involving the Gaslight Anthem.

Thank you guys again & if you have any questions about the imagery or the mural let me know...
Back to top Go down
Never195

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 4:30 pm

Also, I just realized that's an old photo of the wall... I'll try to post some new shots and some close-ups soon...
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 4:33 pm

This is awesome, thanks for checking this place out. We'd love to see some up-to-date photos!
Back to top Go down
stupendoussven
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
stupendoussven

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Never195 wrote:
Also, I just realized that's an old photo of the wall... I'll try to post some new shots and some close-ups soon...

That would be awesome. You have some serious skill. What made you decide to do a mural based on the band? and how long did it take you to complete?
Back to top Go down
http://sirsvenjensen.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

Gaslight mural Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight mural   Gaslight mural Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaslight mural
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next