DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Killers

Go down 
+49
Thunder Peel
redheadchick
Anya_TGA
TGAFAN25
DeathoftheCool
03aarm
bringiton_ty
SubconsciousRitual
Ghost
EveryWordHandwritten
Little Eden
NeverTrustAJunkie
Jack
bringiton
NYYFAN523
brianisbae
TheContender
White Man In Hammersmith
Klown
HorribleCrowe
Christophe
holdsteady82
Mr.Grieves
TGAforLIFE
JJW319
loazis
plugga
Matilda Noir
Jerseyrain
Philo
RobertODonnell
riversedge
Bea
SouthJerseyTGA
sarahjay
Vibes
RunawaySmile
Stevearm
steady now steady now
Holland
Emyr
tdawg
simo
steph
Palmer89
kcdc
CluckyB
Prisoner
kieran
53 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

The Killers - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 11:22 am

You don't need the vinyl to listen to the whole album -- you just need to make sure your iPod isn't accidentally set to shuffle...

There are genres of music I can barely listen to for one song, much less five -- so I disagree with the 'five listens' thing for all music. However, I totally agree that you can't judge all songs by there first listen. I've had multiple experiences where a song goes from 'meh' to 'awesome' just from listening to it more.
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:25 pm

CluckyB wrote:
You don't need the vinyl to listen to the whole album -- you just need to make sure your iPod isn't accidentally set to shuffle...

Well duh, we're not that dumb. But our point is that it's the temptation. We live in a fast-paced information transmission society and we're used to only giving things a few seconds of our attention. If it doesn't catch our interest in that little bit of time, our tendency is to just keep on moving.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:57 pm

Perhaps when I said '5 times' before you can judge something I should have been a bit more specific. I meant- and didn't state- within a genre (even though this may be seen a bit restrictive). I wouldn't listen to a hardcore dance album 5 times as I know I wouldn't like it. I mean I would have to give and album i think I may like something like 3-5 listens- 5 as max- before totally making my mind up.

tdawg's right about the temptation point as well. It's only the press of a button and bingo, next track.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 5:32 pm

tdawg wrote:
CluckyB wrote:

Well duh, we're not that dumb. But our point is that it's the temptation. We live in a fast-paced information transmission society and we're used to only giving things a few seconds of our attention. If it doesn't catch our interest in that little bit of time, our tendency is to just keep on moving.

Hrm, maybe I just don't experience the temptation. I guess I can see how that might be a problem -- especially if its something you get in the habit of doing.
Back to top Go down
RunawaySmile
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
RunawaySmile

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:50 am

Wow, a lot of Killers hate...they're my favourite band in the universe... ♥

I don't see the comparisons between GA and TK at all, and I'm a huge fan of both bands. But obviously as stated above, more so The Killers.

I love all their albums, they're all different yet still have that TK magic. Honestly, I don't understand people who don't like direction change. I'd hate a band who made the same kind of album over and over again. Sam's Town is my favourite album Very Happy I've seen them live 5 times now, and met the guys. Best days of my life!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 5:02 pm

i do not hate the killers, i really do not like them, they are not my type of music.
they were headliner for center stage @ rock im park festival this year. i chose to go see korn instead.

but there are really a lot of people here in middle-europe that truely love the killers, like a lot of my friends do. i am the only one not to like them...
and as some here already said, it seems like you either love or hate them.

i really can't understand the comparison between tga and the killers. to me the bands and brians and brandons voices sound nothing alike???
seems like especially people who do not know tga fquite well tend to compare those two bands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 7:46 am

Nishy wrote:
Wow, a lot of Killers hate...they're my favourite band in the universe... ♥

I don't see the comparisons between GA and TK at all, and I'm a huge fan of both bands. But obviously as stated above, more so The Killers.

I love all their albums, they're all different yet still have that TK magic. Honestly, I don't understand people who don't like direction change. I'd hate a band who made the same kind of album over and over again. Sam's Town is my favourite album Very Happy I've seen them live 5 times now, and met the guys. Best days of my life!!

This sounds a lot like me until I saw TGA. I've never met the Killers, but would love to- did you hang around after a set? I have seen them live and they were brilliant, Sam's Town is definately my favourite as well. To me though, TGA in mage, lyrics etc, have something closer to me; Killers have the glitz, the glam, and the magic, but Gaslight is 'real'. I love both bands equally, but if someone put a gun to my head and said choose I'd go Gaslight, because of that reason and because I've met them a couple of times (some of best days of my life too!) and they are really, really, genuine, and this comes across in the music.

Also had the argument/debate with one of my friends the other day about how they do/don't sound the same, got pretty infuriated!!! They're nothing alike!!!
Back to top Go down
RunawaySmile
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
RunawaySmile

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 10:17 am

Tomaldo wrote:

This sounds a lot like me until I saw TGA. I've never met the Killers, but would love to- did you hang around after a set? I have seen them live and they were brilliant, Sam's Town is definately my favourite as well. To me though, TGA in mage, lyrics etc, have something closer to me; Killers have the glitz, the glam, and the magic, but Gaslight is 'real'. I love both bands equally, but if someone put a gun to my head and said choose I'd go Gaslight, because of that reason and because I've met them a couple of times (some of best days of my life too!) and they are really, really, genuine, and this comes across in the music.

Also had the argument/debate with one of my friends the other day about how they do/don't sound the same, got pretty infuriated!!! They're nothing alike!!!

Haha nice to finally meet you. Your name has been thrown at me a lot on this forum.

See I'm the opposite, The Killers with their songs and lyrics mean so much more to me than any other band ever possibly could, so much so it's hard to describe. Especially because I've loved them since the very very beginning when they first came over to the UK in 2003 and I heard the demos. This was before they exploded onto the scene, so I've kind of grown up with this band since then. Their music defines a lot of my life and I can relate to it all. With Gaslight, I just really really love the music, but on the whole I
don't find myself relating to the majority of it, except a couple of songs. Not yet anyway, like I haven't developed an emotional attachment to them so therefore it means less if you get what I mean. And all the guys in the band are really wonderful genuine people. A lot of people always think of Brandon as an 'ass', he's not like that at all. The media really annoy me with some of the things they come out with. After the Jonathan Ross show they did and the interview, so many people realised what a lovely, shy, and genuinely nice guy he is.

Oh, and I met them at the Warchild charity gig back in February with Coldplay at Shepherds Bush. It was just after soundcheck, and me and my friend went for a walk cause it was freezing cold and we were behind the venue when Brandon came out to jump into the car to go get ready for the Brit Awards. It was so surreal seeing him just appear, and with only just me and my friend and the tour manager there! I'll never forget those moments. And then at this Radio One interview a few days later because we were in the Starbucks down the road when Jo Whiley annouced Brandon and Ronnie were coming. So we ran out of the store pronto! This is one of the reasons I love my hometown haha! I don't like waiting after gigs, it's not personal at all as there are so many people. So I love my chance encounters!

I think TK are just one of those bands where you either love them or hate them. The problem is, I find so many people don't give them a chance or they're too popular for people's liking.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 6:27 pm

For me relating to the Killers it's more single lines or a couple of lines more so than whole songs (though there are whole songs I can to of course). With TGA, I can relate to, I think, every song Brian has penned. Whenever some asks about me I'm tempted to just say 'Listen to the '59 Sound album. And when you've finished, you'll probably know more about me than I do!', or something along those lines.

To me, Brian Fallon is a brilliant lyricist in the way his lyrics relate to my life in a way no other band has yet done, lyrically speaking. The Killers got me into music properly, and 'discovering' bands, and Brandon Flowers is the greatest showman on the planet, but to me despite his supreme talent, he's not quite as lyrically good as Brian Fallon (in writing lyrics about my life, so to speak!!!).
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Tomaldo, what are your favorite 'single lines' from Killers songs?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 7:00 am

Here's some that immediately spring to mind. It's maybe verses or couplets as opposed to 'lines', but not really songs in TGA sense:

From Hot Fuss
Jenny: She said she loved me, but she had somewhere to go
Mr. Brightside: The whole song
Smile Like You Mean It: The whole song
Somebody Told Me: Breaking my back just to know your name
All These Things That I've Done: Over and in, last call for sin - While everyone's lost, the battle is won - With all these things that I've done
On Top: I look at you and smile because I'm fine
Change Your Mind: Why aren't you shaking - Step back in time - Graciously taken - Oh you're too kind
Believe Me Natalie: If my dreams for us can't get you through - Just one more day - It's alright by me
Midnight Show: I took my baby's breath beneath the chandelier - Of stars in atmosphere - And watch her disappear - Into the midnight show...

From Sam's Town
Sam's Town: And I'm sick of all my judges - so scared of letting me shine
When You Were Young: The whole song
Bling: How do you know that you're right? - If you're not nervous anymore AND It ain't hard to hold, - When it shines like gold, - You'll remember me.
For Reasons Unknown: The whole song
Read My Mind: The whole song
Bones: Don’t you wanna come with me? - Don’t you wanna feel my bones on your bones?
My List: When your heart is not able - And your prayers they’re not fables - Let me show you (let me show you) - Let me show you (let me show you) - Let me show you how much I care oh
This River Is Wild: The Whole Song, particulalry the chorus.
Why Do I Keep Counting: If I change my way of living - And If I pave my streets with good times - Will the mountain keep on giving - And if all of our days are numbered - Then why do I keep counting
Daddy's Eyes: And sometimes people get tired, - And I woke up a little too late to lie. - Dreams should last a long time, - This is not what I'd call goodbye.

Sawdust:
Leave The Bourbon On The Shelf: Darling don't you see I'm not satisfied - Until I hold you tight - Give me one more chance tonight - And I swear I'll make it right
Sweet Talk: Lift me up on my honour - Take me over this spell - Get this weight off my shoulders - I've carried it well - Loose these shackles of pressure - Shake me out of these chains - Lead me not to temptation - Hold my hand harder - Ease my mind - Roll down the smoke screen - And open the sky AND See, all these pessimistic sufferers tend to drag me down - So I could use it to shelter what good I’ve found
Under The Gun: THe Whole Song
Who Let You Go: And honey, when you walk my way - It makes me wanna say... - Ohhh
Ballad Of Michael Valentine: The Whole Song

Day & Age:
Losing Touch: You go run and tell your friends I'm losing touch
Human: Will your system be alright - When you dream of home tonight - There is no message we're receiving - Let me know, is your heart still beating?
Spaceman: The Whole Song
Joy Ride: There's something in the distance - A glorious existence - A simple celebration - A place you never went before - Why don't you kiss me - And tell me that you want it?
Dustland Fairytale: Whole song
This Is Your Life: And the sky is full of dreams - But you don't know how to fly - I don't have a simple answer - But I know that I could answer - Something better
I Can't Stay: Now we'll parade around without game plans
Neon Tiger: Whole song really, although it's quite strange!
The World That We Live In: I had a dream that I was falling, down - There's no next time, alone - A storm wastes its water on me - But my life was free
Goodnight, Travel Well: Whole song
Tidal Wave: Whole Song
Forget About What I Said: And sometimes I hear you - The galaxy sings your song - And tonight I sing along

Phew. That took ages (also had some problems posting it, luckyily sorted it out!!). It's not exhaustive, but it's what immediately srpung to mind, and seems a hell of a lot considering we're on a Gaslight Anthem forum. I hope it persuades someone to listen to the Killers, and has also served to highlight the genius of Brandon Flowers.
Back to top Go down
RunawaySmile
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
RunawaySmile

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 10:27 am

I enjoyed reading that Very Happy

Yeah I find it weird that I'm on here and talking about the Killers. I shall keep my love for them confined to this thread haha, and my avy of Brandon I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Finally managed to snag a vinyl version of Hot Fuss off ebay. Must have tried at least a 100 times before, but it's about damn time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 11:01 pm

^that'd be an awesome album to have. Congrats!
Back to top Go down
RunawaySmile
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
RunawaySmile

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 11:14 pm

khchausk8er wrote:
Finally managed to snag a vinyl version of Hot Fuss off ebay. Must have tried at least a 100 times before, but it's about damn time Very Happy

OMG you lucky thing! How much did you get it for? I've tried at least a 100 times too, bet you must have outbidded me a few times etc!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 10:43 am

khchausk8er wrote:

I have been/am after a Hot Fuss off ebay too. How much did you get it for?

They usually go for like £45-£50...
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 3:58 pm

I got it for $64 US, which is a little lower than I would have bid for it. Apparently it's in mint condition too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 6:01 am

I swear this thread kinda revitalized my love for this band.

Have you guys heard any of their pre-Hot Fuss Stuff? I'm not talking about the polished b-sides from Sawdust.

I found a link that has them, bonus tracks from Day and Age, live tracks and a couple of covers.

http://polish-tender-hooligan.blogspot.com/2009/08/killers-stereo-of-lies-rarities.html

The pre-Hot Fuss songs are pretty sweet. Brandon Flowers voice does sound a little different. I did my research and these are all legit songs.
Here are the pre-Hot Fuss Songs:

Waiting for Love - Sounds kinda like a Blink 182 song. Very upbeat catchy ans simple love song.

Get Trashed - Brandon sounds like the song title implies...it's actually grew on me after like 20 listens. It's actually pretty clever or really stupid lol

Desperate - I kinda think that this song kinda sounds like it could've been on Sam's Town if they re-worked it.

Oh Yeah, By the Way - Pretty catchy rock and roll song.

Replaceable - For some reason this song reminds me of Ben Folds

Why Don't You find Out For Yourself - This is almost sounds alt-country-rock...but then the synth pops up.

Soft Surrender (Where is She?) - A live song, sounds kinda like Interpol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 6:08 am

$64 is really good price wise, one of the best prices I've seen them go for in the 4 months or so I've been tracking them on ebay for.

I've got 5 tracks that I think are from the demo they put out before Hot Fuss, which are the 5 you listed above; Waiting for Love, Desperate, Oh Yeah, By The Way, Replaceable and Soft Surrender.

The other two tracks, Get Trashed and Why Don't... we released as b-sides to Hot Fuss era singles Smile Like You Mean It & All These Things That I've Done respectively, which I own.
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 3:18 pm

I just got my sister to listen to some Gaslight and she says Brian's voice sounds Brandon Flowers voice...what the hell? I can't hear it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:04 am

khchausk8er wrote:
I just got my sister to listen to some Gaslight and she says Brian's voice sounds Brandon Flowers voice...what the hell? I can't hear it.

No! I assume she hasn't listened to either band excessively. Seems to be the case with 'casual' listeners.
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:13 am

Tomaldo wrote:
$64 is really good price wise, one of the best prices I've seen them go for in the 4 months or so I've been tracking them on ebay for.

I've got 5 tracks that I think are from the demo they put out before Hot Fuss, which are the 5 you listed above; Waiting for Love, Desperate, Oh Yeah, By The Way, Replaceable and Soft Surrender.

The other two tracks, Get Trashed and Why Don't... we released as b-sides to Hot Fuss era singles Smile Like You Mean It & All These Things That I've Done respectively, which I own.

Behold what I got for $64 lol

The Killers - Page 3 Tks-ht10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Drool.

I can't afford to bid on them now, and won't be able for the forseeable future... hopefully prices won't continue to rise.
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 1:03 pm

^ same Sad
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 5:39 pm

I think bid on every auction is the way to go, eventually you'll win.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Killers   The Killers - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Killers
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next