DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]

Go down 
+59
funsaimandignite
TooMuchGaslight
dmwhalen
bt211
pleasepassthesoup
whiskeytab
Prisoner
CasanovaBaby90
HorribleCrowe
RobertODonnell
DeathoftheCool
Boy From Little Eden
Roe
eagles1139
NotLikeWeBleed
ivienco
kuruptlon
Christophe
CapedAvenger
janoSK
GibsonFF19
LaVidaLoca
sickgirlesther
kjakm
cdala
SirBrad
thebends
dustinpardue
mja271
Keele
JacksSmirkingRevenge
SashaV
Asmith1912
Jerseyrain
rumham
riversedge
turnitin2004
brunswick18
enola
StateOfMind
jonnyz83
macci
loazis
brianisbae
mingus
miked331
ProMayhem
steady now steady now
cowgirlwiththeblues
The_River
Anya_TGA
moosicmaniac
cmigs
StitchesOnTheRadio
ThisMachineKillsFascists
Jack
Jaws
cms35
Shrewsbury_Stars
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 5:26 pm

The 7" box set has The Blues, Mary plus another track that I can't remember the name of, billed as bonus tracks. Only available from the official US store though.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Oh right okay. Hopefully they will be available digitally at some stage too.
Back to top Go down
ProMayhem
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ProMayhem

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Isn't smoke getting released this Thursday/Friday?
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 7:40 pm

ProMayhem wrote:
Isn't smoke getting released this Thursday/Friday?

I think it's on friday
Back to top Go down
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 11:19 pm

As others have mentioned I wish the bonus tracks were available through the CD bundle.

Also while I'm looking forward to a studio version of The Blues, Mary, I'm not sure anything can match the original. I really like the gritty raw feel of the original version we have. I guess only time will tell though.
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 6:05 am

kuruptlon wrote:
As others have mentioned I wish the bonus tracks were available through the CD bundle.

Also while I'm looking forward to a studio version of The Blues, Mary, I'm not sure anything can match the original. I really like the gritty raw feel of the original version we have. I guess only time will tell though.

I don't know, if it's got that awesome Perkins slide guitar that we've been hearing in recent live versions, I think it will top it.
Back to top Go down
janoSK
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
janoSK

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 7:25 am

Here´s an interview with Brian at Q104.3. He also played acoustic version of Nobody Wins

http://www.q1043.com/onair/jonathan-jc-clarke-1368/watch-brian-fallon-of-the-gaslight-14312695/
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 9:28 am

I would LOVE to hear a properly recorded version with that slide guitar, it's so beautiful.

But I'll settle for just a properly recorded version - the vocal reverb on the original has always bugged me, and the distortion on some of the BVs even more so. It's a great song, and I'm looking forward to hearing it as a finished product.
Back to top Go down
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender
jonnyz83

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 10:40 am

cowgirlwiththeblues wrote:
I would LOVE to hear a properly recorded version with that slide guitar, it's so beautiful.

But I'll settle for just a properly recorded version - the vocal reverb on the original has always bugged me, and the distortion on some of the BVs even more so.  It's a great song, and I'm looking forward to hearing it as a finished product.

I just hope they don't drop the outro "Amazng Grace" background. Such a great touch in the original version.
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 12:54 pm

Can someone rip the live radio performance of Nobody Wins?

The other B-side you're thinking of is Digging In The Dirt. It an The Blues, Mary are the two announced b-sides. People mentioned Low Love as a record store day release but I haven't found anything official. Just based on what Brian has told people I guess.

Hopefully there is a deluxe digital version where we can get all these b-sides. That's usually the route I buy.
Back to top Go down
StateOfMind
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 6:44 pm

Smoke is out On Australian iTunes!
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 8:23 pm

it is also on spotify!!! I love it! it is so different
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 12:03 am

Hmm idk. Not sure how I feel on first listen. Part of the problem with the Molly songs for me is even tho the released tracks were basically live demos, I've heard them so much that it's hard to accept different takes on them. I was pretty excited to hear a good stomping version of Smoke in the vain of A Wonderful Life, and this through me for a loop. It's at least still basically the same in terms of lyrics, chords, general essence, etc. but to be completely honest not thrilled with where he took it and Long Drives for the record. I'm sure I'll warm up to it though. Regardless, Smoke still has some of Brian's finest lyrics.
Back to top Go down
ProMayhem
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ProMayhem

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 2:07 am

I loved the demo version of smoke, it had a certainty energy to it! The album version just has a different feel, it is growing on me with each listen tho
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 6:31 am

I’m really torn on it.  I absolutely love the style and sound of the drums, and the heavy-handed piano in the background is pretty cool too.  But I just think the pacing’s all wrong; it just needs to be a few BPM faster to get that lovely rolling feel that was so important in the original version.

BTW, has anyone had a download yet?  I’ve only got free Spotify, and this  morning I had to sit through Pharrel Williams and Mark Ronson just to get a second listen!  Mad
Back to top Go down
sickgirlesther
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
sickgirlesther

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 6:56 am

BTW, has anyone had a download yet?  I’ve only got free Spotify, and this  morning I had to sit through Pharrel Williams and Mark Ronson just to get a second listen!  Mad

Yep I got the email this morning, but didn't have time to download it, hope it works!
I absolutely love this version, love the dynamic, and it seems like it was thought to be played live imo.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 9:38 am

I haven't gotten my email yet Sad
Back to top Go down
janoSK
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
janoSK

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 9:41 am

I recieved email 6 hours ago and I had no problem with downloading new song.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 11:46 am

I’m really torn on it.  I absolutely love the style and sound of the drums, and the heavy-handed piano in the background is pretty cool too.  But I just think the pacing’s all wrong; it just needs to be a few BPM faster to get that lovely rolling feel that was so important in the original version.

Completely agree about the tempo. Definitely needs to be a bit quicker, to me that makes the rhythm of that awesome chorus better. I've warmed up to the sound, although I just would've preferred a bit more of a "full band" take. Honestly at Foxwoods and from YouTube vids Smoke seemed a little meh to me, and this studio version explains it. This take just sort of zaps the song of a little of its life imo.
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 12:02 pm

Well now we have two different versions of the song so it's hard to complain. I'm sure Red Lights and Long Drives will get similar mixed reactions because they are different too. I get not trying to release the same version of the same song.

Did anyone end up ripping the acoustic radio version of Nobody Wins?
Back to top Go down
NotLikeWeBleed
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 12:45 pm

For me personally I think it's a cool, different take. I love the slide guitar thrown in their, adds a nice pettyish touch, and the piano is also nice. Unfortunately, because of the previous version I'm craving that full band sound on this song, that really gave it some drive for me. Regardless, I try and take it like it's a brand new song, from the point of someone who hasn't heard it before (yeah obviously there's an extreme bias since I've only listened to it 26,000 times previously) but when I step back and just listen from that angle, I'm like...yeah this is a good little jam, I digs it Cool
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 1:54 pm

By Brian choosing to re-record MatZ songs (or 'cover' them), such comparisons are inevitable. But remember that the original version is still there, should you prefer it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 3:16 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
By Brian choosing to re-record MatZ songs (or 'cover' them), such comparisons are inevitable. But remember that the original version is still there, should you prefer it.

True, but this confirms it'll never be the same live. I was really hoping they were just messing it up, haha. Ugh, I really don't like this new version. So thankful I got to see the old one live as much as I did.
Back to top Go down
turnitin2004
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 3:19 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:

True, but this confirms it'll never be the same live. I was really hoping they were just messing  it up, haha. Ugh, I really don't like this new version. So thankful I got to see the old one live as much as I did.

I dont think it necessarily confirms that. I do think they will play it more like the record initially, however given enough time they could go back to the old way they play it. Some of his gaslight songs he speeds up and slows down depending on how hes feeling. Obviously the song he completely changed...was it long drives?...I forget already...that probably isnt going back to its orginal form. I agree I like the way Smoke was live before, but this isnt bad either, and he could easily enough switch back to playing it faster live.
Back to top Go down
NotLikeWeBleed
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 3:22 pm

turnitin2004 wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:

True, but this confirms it'll never be the same live. I was really hoping they were just messing  it up, haha. Ugh, I really don't like this new version. So thankful I got to see the old one live as much as I did.

I dont think it necessarily confirms that.  I do think they will play it more like the record initially, however given enough time they could go back to the old way they play it.  Some of his gaslight songs he speeds up and slows down depending on how hes feeling.  Obviously the song he completely changed...was it long drives?...I forget already...that probably isnt going back to its orginal form.  I agree I like the way Smoke was live before, but this isnt bad either, and he could easily enough switch back to playing it faster live.

Yeah I agree long drives will not be going back to its original form that was sheer beauty No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]   Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic:  'Painkillers' - first listen impressions] - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painkillers (Brian Fallon solo record) - pre-release chat and PURCHASES discussion [for post-release comments use topic: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions]
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next