DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions

Go down 
+46
Palmer89
vamike
BKO5950505
jc198
mingus
MKULTRA
bt211
Stejza
NeverTrustAJunkie
BereasaTGA
Rose1991
CapedAvenger
Rock bus
Jack
Keele
ivienco
miked331
Jerseyrain
stephendgaf
howkflakegirl1
Christophe
zombietime
The_River
jonnyz83
pleasepassthesoup
Attax
kjakm
nebraska
Jaws
ProMayhem
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Vibes
moosicmaniac
whiskeytab
Ambulance_Called
cowgirlwiththeblues
pepperedham
HorribleCrowe
StateOfMind
Prisoner
eagles1139
riversedge
Anya_TGA
HolyBreakOfDay
mja271
steady now steady now
50 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Empty
PostSubject: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2016 5:27 pm

Along with music industry people, I have been able to enjoy this amazing album for a short while now, and you are all in for a treat, even if the songs won't come as a total surprise, given that three are Molly and the Zombies ones and as they have all been played live regularly.

Lyrically Brian is on form (is he ever not?), and I was particularly struck by these lines from 'Among Other Foolish Things':

"And we believe such foolish things like 'love, love, love, love is all you need', and living would be easy, if we never ever had to bleed."

Brian's vocals have a pleasantly rough edge, and musically the album is thankfully uplifting, even the bittersweet songs. The acoustic leaning production makes for an interesting change from the last few Gaslight Anthem albums.

And there isn't a dud songs on here, even if opinions may end up being divided about 'Mojo Hands', which IMO is a fun Tom Petty-esque rock ditty. The new track that most grabs me, aside from 'Among Other Foolish Things', is 'Rosemary'.

Painkillers truly is a fitting addition to Brian's consistently impressive body of work.

My only gripe is that this is not a Gaslight Anthem album. I wouldn't want this to sound any different, but if bands evolve their sound, then this is an evolution I would have liked to have seen. Benny's drumming is subtle enough (think of his work on American Slang) to have worked here, and Alex R., whose riffs may have added an extra layer, is involved live in any case.

9/10

Last edited by steady now steady now on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2016 10:35 pm

Thanks for the review! I haven't heard the record but caught one of the shows on the winter tour and definitely gravitated towards AOFT and Rosemary a lot as well. Thought both were great tracks, with the former being a great throwback pop vibe almost in the HCMM vain, and the latter reminding me a bit of a less edgy 1930. I thought Mojo Hand was a bunch of fun as well, even though I've already seen early reviews sort of rip on that tune. I certainly hope that we do see the return of TGA sooner rather than later, but I'm glad that Brian is still putting out quality work that falls in line with his extremely strong track record.
Back to top Go down
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

PostSubject: temp   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm listening to it right now for a review in Daily Rock Magazine, and for now I don't know what to say but that I love the album. I can't wait to interview Brian Fallon soon (it will be either a phone interview, either an interview when he plays in Zurich, it depend on the organisator of the event). It will be published in french but I'll post it here in english Smile
Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 8:03 pm

HolyBreakOfDay wrote:
I'm listening to it right now for a review in Daily Rock Magazine, and for now I don't know what to say but that I love the album. I can't wait to interview Brian Fallon soon (it will be either a phone interview, either an interview when he plays in Zurich, it depend on the organisator of the event). It will be published in french but I'll post it here in english Smile

I'm so jealous! I also want to hear the record right now! anyhow can't wait reading your interview
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 10:58 pm

So jealous!
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 11:40 pm

Found it highly enjoyable on my first listen. While this style isn't necessarily my favorite side of Brian I'm happy he branched out a bit and there are some really great moments here. Rosemary is a big standout for me. I will say, not to be negative, but I was hoping the studio version of Long Drives would warm me up to the new arrangement and it really didn't. It just feels sort of lifeless to me, and it feels like change for the sake of change. I greatly prefer the original. But enough of the negative! Time to go listen to this on repeat until the Boston show on Friday

Edit: Open All Night is phenomenal by the way. The lyrics are truly something special
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 2:08 am

Album is great so far I am 4 songs in.

Lyric question fill in the blank:
in Among Other Foolish Things

"I'm taking a dive on a smoky set of lies
_________________, and there was this one time
when I painted a masterpiece"
(haha it's really bugging me)
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 2:19 am

I hear smoky set of eyes

Then "I've been so deceived and I've been ???"
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 4:22 am

On first listen to the unreleased songs like Rosemary, Open All Night: amazing.

I also really liked Mojo Hand's venture into Southern Rock/Country-Funk haha. Reminds me of The Band.

Excited for the B-sides!!
Back to top Go down
StateOfMind
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 8:38 am

Not posting a link, but it's leaked.. And mojo hand is the best song ever! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 9:59 am

Pardon my french, but this is an instant f*cking classic album.
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:02 am

HorribleCrowe wrote:
Wholeheartedly agree.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:08 am

StateOfMind wrote:
Not posting a link, but it's leaked.. And mojo hand is the best song ever! Very Happy

Normally quite good with finding leaks and I can't find it literally anywhere.
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:09 am

pepperedham wrote:
HorribleCrowe wrote:
Wholeheartedly agree.

this stops my nightmares, it probably won't kill me.
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:15 am

Trying to wait until the official release, but you guys are not making it easy!
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:16 am

cowgirlwiththeblues wrote:
Trying to wait until the official release, but you guys are not making it easy!

Difficult to find anyway!
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:18 am

HorribleCrowe wrote:
pepperedham wrote:
HorribleCrowe wrote:
Wholeheartedly agree.

this stops my nightmares, it probably won't kill me.
Listening to this has made me happier than I've been in months. Painkillers, indeed. This thing is seriously magical to me.

Among Other Foolish Things immediately put a smile on my face and hot fucking DAMN this version of Red Lights is perfection. Doesn't stray at all from the Molly version, just adds another level of awesome, the production is beautiful on it.

I'm just... in love with this album.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:20 am

Jesus, I need it now.
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:40 am

riversedge wrote:
Jesus, I need it now.
Very Happy

Last edited by HorribleCrowe on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:41 am

2nd spin;

Lyrics are cool but complex.
I guess the rough edges will sounds even better on a vintage vinyl player. Will update on that on friday.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:53 am

Among Other Foolish Things is such a fun song. Can't help but make me smile when the "love, love, love, love..." part kicks in. As somebody above mentions Red Lights is also wonderful. Definitely my favorite take of the MATZ songs on here. Like most great work by Brian this brand new record somehow feels very familiar, and I mean that in a great way.
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 am

The whole ending part of Rosemary with the background vocals and the line "My name is Rosemary and you'd be lucky to meet me" feels so huge, it's also probably the most Gaslight-y part of the whole record.

The background vocals on this are fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Ambulance_Called
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 11:15 am

Dear god. Can someone DM it to me?

[Admin: This request has resulted in that member being banned!!
Please see: https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t6256-in-case-it-does-leak-do-not-post-leaks-of-painkillers]
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 11:18 am

For anybody downloading on the internet, making music cost a ton of money, and at the end of the month, musicians like to eat something too.
Consider buying music after you downloading something that you like.

Karma is a bitch.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 11:20 am

HorribleCrowe wrote:
For anybody downloading on the internet, making music cost a ton of money, and at the end of the month, musicians like to eat something too.
Consider buying music after you downloading something that you like.

Karma is a bitch.  

Also buying records is awesome so always support the artist!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next