DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love

Go down 
+131
matkins
nebraska
Andy_
plugga
tom.TGA.punk
DeathoftheCool
spork13
gunner
the original gauche
19thirty
nico0493
Breanne
Xanthias
GuitarMike
DiamondSinatra
thomas94
gib786
Zapuda
daria_pepper
SubconsciousRitual
Grant Michael
drifter69
loazis
pleasepassthesoup
bringiton_ty
CluckyB
TheContender
holdsteady82
huckafooter
Raoul_Duke
CapedAvenger
Kosburn59
JacksSmirkingRevenge
EveryWordHandwritten
Chappers
Jerseyrain
punkrox889
PPQ
njguy99
sandinista
sportshack
TGA30
Brother Beck
Emusic
jonnyz83
moreblue
fake_empire
Klown
Prisoner
rsj
scarsrsouvenirs
Afzoomie67
NeverTrustAJunkie
Little Eden
steph
TGAforLIFE
azlisa
jeffrey2
NYYFAN523
danny4690
Camus
YorkDan
mingus
heals
JJW319
charlesepting
bringiton
kirstyt
Ghost
steady now steady now
Casey
StitchesOnTheRadio
bt211
Shrewsbury_Stars
FelixMA
The Angry Johnny Revue
Bea
moconnell23
Harbortown
gking92
RandyMachoManCabbage
40 Miler
White Man In Hammersmith
simo
vamike
YouCanCallMeSally
JonnyisRFC
bakerfall
Jack
songs like a comfort
TheEmptyBones
EveryLittleSecret
DavyGrolton
IAmDisappeared
rumham
HorribleCrowe
Steve70s
Hanswurst
Midnight Rambler
Try Me
TGAFAN25
MKULTRA
EveryRikiHandwritten
snakester
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
SirBrad
IrishNameAndAnInjury
thebiglebowski
Jonnyn8
OldManShoes3
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
Chesser19
Vibes
The M
gtalbott
spgilbert
Labhras
ghosttocoast
riversedge
Yozzy
elliott4296
Holland
ral
DaleCooper
saltandburn1967
Christophe
acousticbandit
brianisbae
A_Regular
rgillies
eagles1139
135 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Yea all my posts are based on one listen so take them with a pinch of salt! I didn't think Am Slang was amazing until I'd given it a few spins.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 7:47 pm

i like it well enough but i can see some of these songs sounding alot better live. in my professional opinion
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 7:49 pm

I'm worried about them being ABLE to play some of these live. Lotsa studio tricks I reckon.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 7:52 pm

i just wanna love someone with the same blood. anyone else think that ain't quite right? scratch
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 7:53 pm

A_Regular wrote:
I'm worried about them being ABLE to play some of these live. Lotsa studio tricks I reckon.
fair point. i wonder who (if anyone) will play the harmonica?
Back to top Go down
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 7:56 pm

I just listened to it all the way through. I'm apparently kind of opposite of a lot of people, and I like TGA albums in reverse (my favorites go American Slang, then The '59 Sound, then SoS) and I think this album might be too good.

Halfway through 'National Anthem' I realized that I was crying like a little girl. I'm going to have to take a couple of hours, then go back and listen again.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 7:59 pm

i like the chorus of too much blood.
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:07 pm

HOLY SHIT HANDWRITTEN. Just caved and listened to the title track. HOLY MOLY. Shaking.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:10 pm

I liked a lot of what I heard. I usually need to hear songs a few times to really get connected to them (had to for American Slang and Elsie), I already felt a bit saddened by what I was hearing. Didn't cry, though.

...not yet.
Back to top Go down
The M
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Think it's their most cohesive album sonically, also their heaviest album. For me, the two load-bearing songs are "Keepsake" and "Too Much Blood." They drive home that dark nail that holds the album together. The only song that really strikes as filler is "Desire." And I love that the album changes it up on the last two songs. "Mae" and "National Anthem" just ooze catharsis and are the perfect way to end this thing. I'm only one and a three-quarters listens through, so too early to really rank it against the other three albums. I do think that, for whatever reason, the album feels weightier than any other Gaslight album.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Howl takes me back to Sink or Swim. Wow, this pace is tremendous
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Chesser19
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Chesser19

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Only on Mulholland Drive right now, but the title track was totally amazing!
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/The_Chesser19
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 pm

How many times does he use the words "blood" or "night" on this record? lol
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:33 pm

over 9,000
Back to top Go down
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
StateOfLoveAndGaslight

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Just finished my first listen through of the album, not going to comment on individual songs yet, but overall I'm very impressed, and Alex R is easily the album MVP in my opinion. We all know what we're going to get each time out from Brian, but Alex stepped up bigtime on this album and the guitar work is genuinely facemelting.
Back to top Go down
OldManShoes3
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
OldManShoes3

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Just listened to the whole thing, very impressed on first listen. Too soon to say but I don't see it topping T59S, which is my favorite album of all time, but I'll definitely need a lot more listens to say that for sure. I have infinite things to praise that have probably already been said, so I'll just say my few criticisms. I think the live version of Biloxi with the third verse is much better than the album version, including the solo which sounded much better live. Too Much Blood seemed to drag but it will probably grow on me, and National Anthem is great but the guitar is wayyy too similar to Here's Looking at you, Kid.

Other than those small complaints though the album is pretty much perfect. Handwritten the song blew me away on first listen. I'm surprised to see people saying Desire is filler, I thought it was one of the standout tracks. Mae feels like the best song off of Elsie, probably the second best on this album.

I could go on for a while, but I'm gonna go listen again...
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 pm

StateOfLoveAndGaslight wrote:
Just finished my first listen through of the album, not going to comment on individual songs yet, but overall I'm very impressed, and Alex R is easily the album MVP in my opinion. We all know what we're going to get each time out from Brian, but Alex stepped up bigtime on this album and the guitar work is genuinely facemelting.

Alex R was the MVP of American Slang too. Listen to the album and only focus on his part. It's insane how good he is.

Benny's authority on the drums is unreal too.

Brian's lyrics keep getting better, as you'd expect.

Levine has never really stood out on any song but I understand that, a bassist on a punk/rock record has pretty simple parts, they aren't the Chili Peppers.
Back to top Go down
Jonnyn8
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi everyone this is my first post here, i got too excited when listening to the new album i thought i would make an account and discuss it.
Haven't listened to it all yet but after listening to too much blood this is what i think
It's about Brian putting too much blood into his song writing and therefore showing his wife his real inner feelings. These might be dark feelings that he doesn't want her to know about but he wants to express.

What can I keep for myself if I tell you my hell?
And if I just tell the truth are these only lies left for you
Are you worried I'll say too much?
Are you scared they'll take me away?
Now I am no devil but I've got things on my mind
And they're gonna come out and they're gonna come up time to time

these lines pretty much outline that. What does everyone else think. I will post a few others once i've had a bit of a listen
Back to top Go down
Jonnyn8
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Keepsake is definitely about his non existent relationship with his father, heavy stuff.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 pm

I feel like Biloxi is getting overlooked a little because it has been around so long. That might be the best song on the album. There are some little guitar effects in the background of that song that I am really loving.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Vibes wrote:
StateOfLoveAndGaslight wrote:

Alex R was the MVP of American Slang too. Listen to the album and only focus on his part. It's insane how good he is.

Benny's authority on the drums is unreal too.

Brian's lyrics keep getting better, as you'd expect.

Levine has never really stood out on any song but I understand that, a bassist on a punk/rock record has pretty simple parts, they aren't the Chili Peppers.

He is the guy that looks cool
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 pm

thebiglebowski wrote:
I feel like Biloxi is getting overlooked a little because it has been around so long. That might be the best song on the album. There are some little guitar effects in the background of that song that I am really loving.

My #2 track behind Handwritten
Back to top Go down
Jonnyn8
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 pm

thebiglebowski wrote:
i really like the little guitar sequence that's played in the chorus, maybe could be a bit more louder but what do i know
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:24 pm

Christophe wrote:
This is without doubt gonna be the most important album I have ever bought Very Happy

CHRISTOPHE! YOU LISTENED?! Sad
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Jonnyn8 wrote:
thebiglebowski wrote:
i really like the little guitar sequence that's played in the chorus, maybe could be a bit more louder but what do i know

Biloxi is great....I've so been looking forward to hearing a clean studio version of this song. Can't wait to crank it up in my car next week.

Loving this album...right now I am on Howl but earlier I listened to Handwritten and Biloxi real quick while I had a chance.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love
Page 3 of 35Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 35  Next